Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

haveblue posted:

most of those are reasons you should not listen to fan demands

uhura as away team translator is a legit good idea but the technobabble beep boop our spaceship detail really only (barely) works in a tv series and deffo not in a movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

A Video Shame, but if you have actual IRL Trek-positive nerd friends this looks like it could be amusing;

http://store.steampowered.com/app/247350/

A bit like that iOS Spaceteam game but slightly more serious:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spaceteam/id570510529?mt=8

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
yeesh

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

this is why the red cross won't let me donate anymore

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
trek my neg rear end

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Heresiarch posted:

trek my neg rear end

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
does trek ever try to give an answer besides plot reasons why it's the bridge crew that beams down? like wouldn't you want naval officers to stay on the ship and use marines or something?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no its just plot. in fact multiple times they make a big deal about not sending down the most senior officers and then they completely ignore it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3538014&perpage=40&pagenumber=64#post419563591

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

:mad:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

that thread is awful
"oh, heh, i totally just realized <ARCANE AND USELESS TRIVIA>"

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

i just found out a bunch of goons are loving stupid

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
lol jk i've known that for a long time

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Shaggar posted:

that thread is awful
"oh, heh, i totally just realized <ARCANE AND USELESS TRIVIA>"
either that or the exact opposite, cf. that link

wasn't that also the thread with "my tv shows a blue screen when there's a dead channel" or was that a different one

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
my cat's breath smells like cat food

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
and the fedex arrow. always the fedex arrow

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
"i learned <WRONG THING>"
*pile of goons jump at the chance to correct it*

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ol qwerty bastard posted:

this is your monthly reminder that the radio play of "the state of the art" owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRl9D_agLbU

holy poo poo this is a thing

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

NoneMoreNegative posted:

A Video Shame, but if you have actual IRL Trek-positive nerd friends this looks like it could be amusing;

Want to check this out, but saw their site and this.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

NoneMoreNegative posted:

this game is unironically fun as all gently caress and a reason to get super mad at your friends for not paying attention and ramming you into a black hole

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LP97S posted:

bellhops

in

spaaaaaaaaace

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

LP97S posted:

im pretty sure they never even explain the picture, its just there

if you want to "laugh out loud" find their promo video on youtube where theyre acting it out

its still super fun but goddamnit people

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
X-Files update: season 3 is good, especially the humor episodes.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

does trek ever try to give an answer besides plot reasons why it's the bridge crew that beams down? like wouldn't you want naval officers to stay on the ship and use marines or something?

thematically, Star Trek is basically sailing ships in space; that's what underpins the whole "starfleet command can't respond for weeks, the captain has to make Big Decisions on his own" thing, and while it's silly for the captain to be constantly putting himself in danger, there have been sailing ship captains who got killed on the shore (Magellan and Cook come to mind)

realistically, the budget only allows for so many people in the cast, you want the cast interacting as much as possible, so you use the main characters as often as possible, even when it sometimes makes little sense. TOS was in a really tight spot because William Shatner was commanding $5,000 an episode in 1966 dollars and there's no loving way you're not going to use him in every episode.

from what i've heard modern television is able to get away with larger casts in part because the explosion of reality tv has sharply reduced the demand for actors, meaning there's a glut of talent that are willing to work on the cheap (well, as cheap as SAG allows, anyway)

as for a direct answer, i don't think they ever had the characters say so; it's always implied that the bridge guys just happen to be the most qualified or something like that.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

yeh i actually thought of this the last season 2 ep i watched where the second in command, chief tactical officer, and irreplacable android beamed down to a mysterious airbubble they couldnt get a sensor reading of on a planet with an atmopshere that would instantly kill them if the bubble broke

gonna agree with crack, theyre supposed to be The Best and Most Qualified for any of those missions

also remember starfleet is full of psychos who love to put themselves in danger

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

NoneMoreNegative posted:

it can be a lot of fun. i recommend playing with the captain only watching the main screen overview.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

a Kinect version of this would be rad as hell. you connect you're surface tablet or xbone tablet or w/e and use it for tappy tapping but then the Kinect tracks ur head and you can talk to the view screen or other players or w/e

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

that makes sense. i haven't seen a ton of tos so i forget about the horation hornblower angle.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shaggar posted:

Kinect ... rad as hell

lol

oh shagger, you scamp :allears:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
oculous rift??????????????

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i think in the very first episode riker makes a big goddamned deal about picard beaming down with the away team and picard is all gently caress you i dont give a gently caress about putting my life in danger

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Shaggar posted:

a Kinect version of this would be rad as hell. you connect you're surface tablet or xbone tablet or w/e and use it for tappy tapping but then the Kinect tracks ur head and you can talk to the view screen or other players or w/e

yeah, there's lots you can do with kinect

shame that all anybody ever makes are dance and exercise games. (sometimes dance and exercise!)

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i mean, gently caress, even that terrible star wars rails shooter thing ended up being a secret dance game

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Al! posted:

i think in the very first episode riker makes a big goddamned deal about picard beaming down with the away team and picard is all gently caress you i dont give a gently caress about putting my life in danger

actually they're pretty decent about not having picard go down on away teams usually. at least for the first few seasons.

then patrick stewart got bored and literally told the writers "the captain needs to be doing more shooting and screwing"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

then patrick stewart got bored and literally told the writers "the captain needs to be doing more shooting and screwing"

i'm not kidding on this one. it's why we got captain picard going on vacation and loving a chick, it's why he went on a crazy commando operation against the cardassians, and it's why the TNG movies turned out the way they did.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i'm not kidding on this one. it's why we got captain picard going on vacation and loving a chick, it's why he went on a crazy commando operation against the cardassians, and it's why the TNG movies turned out the way they did.

which is partly why that pfsc comic is extremely stupid, patrick stewart didnt settle for his role, he owned the role.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

which is partly why that pfsc comic is extremely stupid, patrick stewart didnt settle for his role, he owned the role.

he was also really lucky to be considered at all: stone-bald grey-haired men in their 40s (with a prissy accent, no less!) were not usually evaluated for use as action heroes in 1987

obviously that choice turned out really well for everyone involved but it was not as simple as a shakespearean "lowering" himself

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

he was also really lucky to be considered at all: stone-bald grey-haired men in their 40s (with a prissy accent, no less!) were not usually evaluated for use as action heroes in 1987

obviously that choice turned out really well for everyone involved but it was not as simple as a shakespearean "lowering" himself

"On being questioned about the significance of his role compared to his distinguished Shakespearean career, Stewart has said that: "The fact is all of those years in Royal Shakespeare Company – playing all those kings, emperors, princes and tragic heroes – were nothing but preparation for sitting in the captain's chair of the Enterprise.""

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
oh wait you mean pictures for sad children is dumb patronizing poo poo from a rich white kid art student shithead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
why didnt they break the transporter and beam data back and forth until they had 20 or 30 data so the nerd guy that wanted some data data could have three or four data to dissect

• Locked thread