Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

So was this at all related to anything the Obamas were doing at the time or was it some sort of personal freedom response to the New York soda limitation thing that Jon Stewart was complaining about for like two months?

The New York thing, CPAC was like in February.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

So was this at all related to anything the Obamas were doing at the time or was it some sort of personal freedom response to the New York soda limitation thing that Jon Stewart was complaining about for like two months?

THe NY thing.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Did you miss her CPAC speech?

In Game Change they claimed Palin was on a Atkins style low carb diet to keep her weight down during 2008. I guess it really is true that these people will do the opposite of what they perceive liberals want.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Parachute posted:

I really miss driving up 59 during morning rush hour, if only for awesome signs like this.
That bridge still connects West U to Upper Kirby/Montrose, doesn't it? Because, if so, it's even more hilarious.

Googling SarahPAC and Vimeo brings this up. I'm guessing it's not campaign-approved.

https://vimeo.com/16518111

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 14, 2013

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Her podium is a paper soda cup.

HER PODIUM IS A SODA.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

keiran_helcyan posted:

I guess it really is true that these people will do the opposite of what they perceive liberals want.

Their opinions are completely based on childish spite at this point and they don't even pretend otherwise:

I don't even want to know what the "Obama is gay" thing is all about.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
You missed the confession of the male hooker a few years back? Some crackhead redneck guy, basically. Google it up, it's worth a minute of your time to stare at what tried so hard to be a train wreck, but just couldn't qualify.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

ReindeerF posted:

You missed the confession of the male hooker a few years back? Some crackhead redneck guy, basically. Google it up, it's worth a minute of your time to stare at what tried so hard to be a train wreck, but just couldn't qualify.

Now that you mention it I vaguely remember something along those lines quite a while ago, but I didn't want to believe that anyone was actually still clinging to it as a credible story.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
He came out in support of gay marriage therefor he is clearly a gay man. There are seriously human beings on this planet that are so devoid of empathy and compassion to the point where they actually believe that.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Even simpler. Gay = bad, Obama = bad, ergo Obama = gay.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It is teenage boy logic. 'Better not sympathize/defend gay people or people will think I'm gay!'

It is a personal insecurity that has enabled years of anti-Queer behavior.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

McDowell posted:

It is teenage boy logic. 'Better not sympathize/defend gay people or people will think I'm gay!'

It is a personal insecurity that has enabled years of anti-Queer behavior.

It probably wouldn't be so prevalent if there wasn't so much anti-gay sentiment in society. If nobody gave a poo poo if you were gay or not I don't think you'd see as much of that.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It probably wouldn't be so prevalent if there wasn't so much anti-gay sentiment in society. If nobody gave a poo poo if you were gay or not I don't think you'd see as much of that.

It's a vicious cycle of people being bullied and other not standing up for them.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ReindeerF posted:

Larry Sinclair. He also claimed that he smoked crack with Dan Quayle way back in 1988. The guy is a deeply weird hanger-on and crackhead who roosts at the fringes of Washington politics. The only people who believe his crap are people who want to believe it.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Is there any chance that he, Jeff Gannon and Ted Haggard could form some kind of conservative trolling dude crack ho legion of doom?

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Y'know, we've had plenty of Oval Office occupants who have admitted to or are well known to have done drugs in their misspent youth. It's time for some feigned shock and outrage over a male presidential aspirant who will cop to having fooled around with a dude that one time.

"When I was in college, I kissed guys a time or two, and I didn't like it. There was no tongue and never tried it again."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

eviltastic posted:

"When I was in college, I kissed guys a time or two, and I didn't like it. There was no tongue and never tried it again."

A senior GOP member said: "We respect the Senator's right to do as he pleases in private. But isn't it in poor taste to dwell on one's...premarital dalliances, however sensual and tantalizing they may be?"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ReindeerF posted:

Is there any chance that he, Jeff Gannon and Ted Haggard could form some kind of conservative trolling dude crack ho legion of doom?

lovely Republican Voltron?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

A senior GOP member said: "We respect the Senator's right to do as he pleases in private. But isn't it in poor taste to dwell on one's...premarital dalliances, however sensual and tantalizing they may be?"

So the senator in question had a long history of tapping his foot in the bathroom then?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Every day is opposite day in the GOP.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Have we talked about Bachmann, King, and Gohmert going to Cairo last weekend and giving a televised speech that will make you cringe?

quote:

"I want to assure the people of Egypt that I, as a member of Congress, will stand strong in support of continuing military support, United States support financially, to stand for the military in Egypt," she said. "We know that you have been a partner. You've been a partner in the war on terrorism. You've acted bravely here on the front lines."

She added, "Many of you have asked, Do we understand who the enemy is? We can speak for ourselves: We do. We have seen the threat that the Muslim Brotherhood has posed, here, for the people of Egypt. We've seen the threat that the Muslim Brotherhood posed around the world. We stand against this great evil. We remember who caused nine-one-one in America." Later, in response to a question, Bachmann reiterated: "We don't have a choice. They must be defeated."

She is clearly going into Egypt and telling them that the Muslim Brotherhood "did nine-one-one." I expected this to get more coverage but maybe I just haven't been paying attention.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 14, 2013

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Dr. Faustus posted:

Have we talked about Bachmann, King, and Gohmert going to Cairo last weekend and giving a televised speech that will make you cringe?

She is clearly going into Egypt and telling them that the Muslim Brotherhood "did nine-one-one." I expected this to get more coverage but maybe I just haven't been paying attention.

Daily Show did an excellent rip on this.
And Bachmann was loving talking like she was addressing a class of 5 year olds.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I didn't notice anything posted about Gretchen leaving FoxNews' morning show.

http://editors.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2013/09/end_of_an_era_2.php?ref=fpblg

I'm curious to see where she goes after this. She doesn't seem like someone that would go on to do radio, or anything like that.

edit

Hmm... after reading her wiki page, she's a Sociology major that was Miss America in 1989. How fitting for a TV news personality.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 15, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I'm sure Steve Doocy and Unfrozen Caveman News Anchor had lots of questions. Did Roger Ailes come down, stroke their hair while comforting them, and tell them she went to a farm upstate with all the other Fox News hosts where she can run around and play all day?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Sir Tonk posted:

I didn't notice anything posted about Gretchen leaving FoxNews' morning show.

http://editors.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2013/09/end_of_an_era_2.php?ref=fpblg

I'm curious to see where she goes after this. She doesn't seem like someone that would go on to do radio, or anything like that.

edit

Hmm... after reading her wiki page, she's a Sociology major that was Miss America in 1989. How fitting for a TV news personality.

She has excellent academic credentials, she's not a 'dumb' person in the same sense that Ted Cruz isn't dumb because he went to Princeton and Harvard.

quote:

Carlson graduated cum laude from Stanford University in 1990, with a degree in sociology (organizational behavior). While at Stanford University, she studied abroad at Oxford University.[7]

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

comes along bort posted:

I'm sure Steve Doocy and Unfrozen Caveman News Anchor had lots of questions. Did Roger Ailes come down, stroke their hair while comforting them, and tell them she went to a farm upstate with all the other Fox News hosts where she can run around and play all day?
Personally I prefer to call the other guy Blonde Haired Guy Who Is Not Steve Doocy like Colbert did years ago

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

How are u posted:

She has excellent academic credentials, she's not a 'dumb' person in the same sense that Ted Cruz isn't dumb because he went to Princeton and Harvard.

There's lots of extraordinarily stupid people with academic credentials.

Not to disparage academia as a whole, but yeah - an idiot with a degree is still an idiot.

After all, we see highly qualified people behaving like infantile children all the time. Look at this rear end in a top hat: http://video.msnbc.msn.com/andrea-mitchell/52774840#52774840

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 15, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

comes along bort posted:

loving lol. That's classic.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Spacedad posted:

Not to disparage academia as a whole, but yeah - an idiot with a degree is still an idiot.

After all, we see highly qualified people behaving like infantile children all the time. Look at this rear end in a top hat: http://video.msnbc.msn.com/andrea-mitchell/52774840#52774840

Wasn't her role though to perpetually pretend to know jack poo poo about everything and have it all explained to her for the viewers' benefit? She might not have been a bright bulb but surely she isn't flat out ignorant like that.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Sep 15, 2013

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Spacedad posted:

Well yeah I agree, that was my point. I mean, I compared her to Ted Cruz.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

Orange Devil posted:

Wasn't her role though to perpetually pretend to know jack poo poo about everything and have it all explained to her for the viewers' benefit? She might not have been a bright bulb but surely she isn't flat out ignorant like that.

Yep, that was pretty much her shtick. While I disagree with her on pretty much everything, she can make an intelligent argument and otherwise show her education when she wants, but I guess it pays better to put on the dumb blonde routine.

I'm a sociology major as well and it pisses me off when people who studied it can shill for views entirely contrary to most everything argued by it. She's probably a filthy functionalist.

Nyyen fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 15, 2013

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Her star rose and fell with Sarah Palin's. I bet that she regrets hitching her wagon to that nitwit.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Zeroisanumber posted:

Her star rose and fell with Sarah Palin's. I bet that she regrets hitching her wagon to that nitwit.

You mean Gretchen Carlson? She's worked harder and accomplished a lot more than Palin ever did. She can throw down on violin. She was Miss America for Christ's sake.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

SedanChair posted:

You mean Gretchen Carlson? She's worked harder and accomplished a lot more than Palin ever did. She can throw down on violin. She was Miss America for Christ's sake.

So was the pro-life warrior who might be my next representative in Congress :smithicide:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

SedanChair posted:

I somehow got her mixed up in my head with Greta VanSusteren. :downs: I blame the hangover.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Zeroisanumber posted:

I somehow got her mixed up in my head with Greta VanSusteren. :downs: I blame the hangover.
The only thing Van Susteren is noteworthy for is being a Scientologist.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

The only thing Van Susteren is noteworthy for is being a Scientologist.

Nah, she's also known for having really awful cosmetic surgery.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

ReidRansom posted:

Nah, she's also known for having really awful cosmetic surgery.

Does she have a lisp or just some very strong accent I can't determine?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

This got posted in the pictures thread:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/harrybinswanger/2013/09/17/give-back-yes-its-time-for-the-99-to-give-back-to-the-1/

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

The author states upfront that he is an Ayn Rand Objectivist, so it helps to know the article was written by an actual sociopath.