Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I would argue that Twilight Princess is still the laziest Zelda game. Sure, they put together a ton of dungeons and a massive world, but from a design perspective it's like they said "Ocarina of Time was popular, let's make that again." And even though the world was massive, they never actually came up with anything to put in it.

Skyward Sword definitely has its share of problems and lazy design decisions (making you revisit a dungeon, for example), but at least it wasn't so generic and "safe" like Twilight Princess was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Let's all just agree that Link's Awakening is the best Zelda and move on...

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

zenintrude posted:

A Link to the past is the best Zelda forever. :colbert:

Edit: Links Awakening was pretty stupid imo.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

zenintrude posted:

I'll never agree with this or understand how even someone who prefers the 2D Zeldas could think it's better than Link to the Past. I even like the Oracle games better than LA but I understand that people get turned off by the pacing and the gimmicks. Link to the Past is pretty much the perfect 2D Zelda.

Broken Cog posted:

I wouldn't go that far but most of its dungeons are very small and the overworld is tiny. There's just not that much to see or do in it and it tires itself out much more quickly on replays than the others.

Edit: Oh this isn't even the Zelda thread how did we get here.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

(I remember at one point a character who you've saved numerous times and have gotten to acknowledge you fucks you over just to waste your time)
I actually kind of loved that because it drove home that that character is just innately a huge dick, and it reminded me of how a lot of real world mythological figures are capricious jerks to humans for no real reason.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Just three more days till I get my Wii U. Does the gamepad pro work at all in wii mode, or do I need a classic controller? I had a hard time with Orcarina of Time (stupid megaton hammer) and I didn't know if it was because my thumbs were out of practice, my meds totally screwing with eye hand coordination, or the analogue stick on the pro controller being lovely.

Would I regret buying third party motion controllers to try to save some money? Rock Candy has some cool looking wiimotes for $20. For $10 more I can get the official wiimote...

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Wii Mode basically turns your Wii U into a Wii. It can't interface with any Wii U controllers or accessories until you drop back to the Wii U menu.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Broken Cog posted:

A Link to the past is the best Zelda forever. :colbert:

Let's stop this derail and start a Zelda thread if we want to have this circular argument yet again.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm about halfway through my 6 hearts hard mode run of Skyward Sword. It's challenging, but it's certainly fair. It really is the zelda that best rewards the player for skilful play.

As for WWHD, I'm thinking I might wait for the physical copy. Is anyone going digital?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Digital all the way. I will never understand some of you people's obsessions with physical copies.

You can actually hold and read a book though. You can't hold and read a disc. It has to go in the system where you no longer even see it.

greatn fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 17, 2013

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

greatn posted:

Digital all the way. I will never understand some of you people's obsessions with physical copies.

It's like with books I assume. It's cooler to have a physical book than a digital one, even if you're using a kindle.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

greatn posted:

Digital is definitely easier.

That said, I infinitely regret all of the videogames I owned in which I sold as a child. Having a VC copy of Chrono Trigger means nothing next to a physical copy of Chrono Trigger.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

greatn posted:

If XBLA/Nintendo ID's worked like Steam, I would totally go digital only. But as is, I don't trust my content to be available 5 years the road from either of these companies.

Plus Nintendo's account system is horrible poo poo. On the Nintendo side, that is more the reason I go with physical whenever possible, as I trust the content to still be available more than I trust XBL's content to be available. And filing a police report is not an adequate solution to a stolen system and getting your content back (In cases of lost/stolen, but that's mostly for the 3ds side.)

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Kilazar posted:

If XBLA/Nintendo ID's worked like Steam, I would totally go digital only. But as is, I don't trust my content to be available 5 years the road from either of these companies.

To be fair, I got Legend of Zelda on VC back in 2006 and I still own it on my Wii.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Kilazar posted:

Plus Nintendo's account system is horrible poo poo. On the Nintendo side, that is more the reason I go with physical whenever possible, as I trust the content to still be available more than I trust XBL's content to be available. And filing a police report is not an adequate solution to a stolen system and getting your content back (In cases of lost/stolen, but that's mostly for the 3ds side.)

Having to file a police report is terrible, it should just be downloadable by your account on any system and playable while logged in, and it is unfortunate that isn't the case.

But if someone steals your disk you don't have any way to get it back at all, so I'm not sure how that's a superior method in regards to theft or loss. It is more convenient if you have hardware failure, I'll give you that (although in the case of hardware failure you send that in, you don't have to file a report).

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

greatn posted:

You're asking this in the Nintendo thread of all places?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

greatn posted:

I'd feel the same way except that we cannot share/trade/sell/give away digital copies.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Xavier434 posted:

I'd feel the same way except that we cannot share/trade/sell/give away digital copies.

I never really sell my Nintendo games until I get the next console. Which true, I won't be able to do now. But I'm not even taking a next console as a given right now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

greatn posted:

You can actually hold and read a book though. You can't hold and read a disc. It has to go in the system where you no longer even see it.

In the UK digital copies are usually anywhere between £5 and £15 more expensive than buying a physical disc online and money is tight.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
I wish there was a way to somehow install physical copies of the games onto the system so I don't need to the disc to play. I understand that this is probably next to impossible because of piracy, but a guy can dream. I own GTA IV on my Xbox and I just paid $20 to download it last week because I like being able to play a game without having to gently caress around with discs. If/when a Steam like service breaks into the console market I am going to be so happy.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Xavier434 posted:

And that owning the physical copy doesn't ensure you also own the digital copy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

greatn posted:

Hard drives crash and online services end. Take a look at XBL for the original Xbox and guess how much DLC is just outright gone.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

greatn posted:

Look to Xbox 1 (not :xbone:) for reasons why you should always go physical when available...

poo poo, look at Xbox 360 this week: http://www.develop-online.net/news/45351/Games-dissapear-from-Xbox-Live

On the other hand, if you bought a 2600 cart in 1977, you can still play that cart today.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

greatn posted:

I really like the Ganondorf figure, even if it means I have to wait 2 weeks longer than I'd have to otherwise. v:shobon:v

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

greatn posted:

Significantly cheaper (unless you're talking about PC games where digital is slightly cheaper if you're not buying from Origin), assurances that the game will still function ten or twenty years from now, the ability to sell it, I can lend a copy to friends. The one advantage digital has is convenience and game companies haven't done a lot to convince me that I should be paying an extreme premium (both in money and loss of privileges) for that convenience.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
In my region prices between digital and physical are the same, so I can understand why you in Europe would hate it if it's 10 to 20 bucks more.

Edit: It definitely saves me time as my console is behind glass, I store games and DVDs in a closet in another room, and I often am playing a few major releases at once.

greatn fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 17, 2013

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

The one advantage digital has is convenience and game companies haven't done a lot to convince me that I should be paying an extreme premium (both in money and loss of privileges) for that convenience.

I like digital, but it really isn't even all that much more convenient. The amount of time it saves is minimal and storing discs in a binder doesn't take up much space. Digital just "feels good" which I understand carries some value but we should all recognize that such things are more of a matter of perception than efficiency.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

greatn posted:

In my region prices between digital and physical are the same, so I can understand why you in Europe would hate it if it's 10 to 20 bucks more.

Even then, you'd think digital would mean you wouldn't have to be paying the same as a physical copy, when we've assumed that physical means it had to be packaged and shipped. In theory digital shouldn't cost the same, even though it does have its own special costs.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
I love being able to switch games on a whim and not digging them up, but the price of digital compared to more frequent store sales, used, or trading kills it for me. If digital is on sale for my impulse price for a game, I buy the hell out of it.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Digital is still cheaper for me because there are no taxes. Plus, I get some points back.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

greatn posted:

I assume your region is Mars because there's no place on earth where digital and physical prices are the same. At the very least you pay 20% less for buying physical disks at launch through a major discounter like Amazon. Three months down the line and physical is more than 50% cheaper. A year down the line and physical is often closer to 90% cheaper.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

greatn posted:

Edit: It definitely saves me time as my console is behind glass, I store games and DVDs in a closet in another room, and I often am playing a few major releases at once.

Are you in the US? Because if so, that's not true at all unless you're buying a game on day one. If you wait at least a month you can find a physical copy at least 30% cheaper for almost every game. There are games on PSN/XBLA that still cost $40 that I can pick up for $5 used, $10 new, and they will never ever drop in price digitally.

edit:

Just checked real quick to compare prices on the Wii U downloadable service to Amazon.

Pikmin 3 $60 ($50 on Amazon)
NSMBU $60 ($44 on Amazon)
Nintendo Land $60 ($21 on Amazon)
Sonic Racing $40 ($22 on Amazon)
ZombiU $60 ($22 on Amazon)

So every single game is still full retail price on the digital store, and even first-party Nintendo games which are notorious for never going down in price are cheaper physically.

Adam Bowen fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 17, 2013

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

greatn posted:

I never really sell my Nintendo games until I get the next console. Which true, I won't be able to do now. But I'm not even taking a next console as a given right now.

So you don't have faith in Nintendo even being around next generation, but you think they will continue to support the eShop if that happens? :psyduck:

Random Stranger posted:

The one advantage digital has is convenience and game companies haven't done a lot to convince me that I should be paying an extreme premium (both in money and loss of privileges) for that convenience.

Sony is at least giving us some sort of reason with all their remote play features, but it's really unproven so far so I am hesitant until I see it in action. But I can see the appeal of buying digital on the PS4 if you can load any game remotely over the internet with the Vita or Vita TV.

The concept of taking a Vita TV with you on a business trip and have access to your entire digital PS4 library is pretty awesome IMO. If it works...

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
I've shifted over to digital for everything not-used because our toddler is god-queen of disk destruction, and clever as all hell at getting a hold of the things, so while I'd prefer a physical copy for a great number of reasons, it would get lost/destroyed. :smith:

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I was excited about our glorious digital future on Wii U!... and then I spent three weeks in Portugal and returned to find that my 320GB harddrive has vanished and nobody in my family has any idea where it went. :tinfoil:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
The one game I wanted to buy digitally, Monster Hunter 4, wasn't available until noon or later on the day it was released which pissed me off because they had released Lego City at midnight and plenty of games since then at midnight.

With all of the talk about how friendly Nintendo is being towards indies I thought I would have no problem making up for the extra $50 I spent on the deluxe with the discount, yet here I am with just a little over a year remaining on the promotion and I've only earned $10 back so far because there just aren't many games to buy. Around $50 of that $100 spent was an impulse buy of Scribblenauts near launch.

I did buy the latest Pokemon Rumble and there are a lot of things that bother me about it. A lot of the challenges are really annoying like "play this level at night" or "play this level on a Wednesday". Also there are a lot of challenges that require you to play with multiple people which means I'll probably never finish those since there's no online multiplayer. Also how it keeps track of the pokemon you've collected is really annoying, some challenges want you to complete it with a pokemon that is weak, well if you skipped that challenge and come back to it later you wont have any pokemon in that toughness range anymore. My expectations weren't high at all knowing the game literally only uses like two buttons, but the game is super annoying.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

greatn posted:

I get a cool statue of one of my favorite childhood villains.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I will never buy a retail game digitally on the Wii U store again after realizing I literally paid twice the price for Assassin's Creed vs if I had just gone and bought it from EB Games.

Considering this is true for almost every Wii U game, I don't see a reason to ever buy digitally on their store.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

On my 3DS I love digital games. I can carry it around and have everything at hand, and if a memory card gets full I can just swap in a second. I'd appreciate it if having a physical registered (thus new) copy let you download a digital one, particularly for games that only hit the download store later like Virtue's Last Reward, but it's very handy.

On the Wii U the system will probably be sitting next to my game disks. Add to that the inability to partition an external hard drive, and if my downloads fill up the on-system drive I'd end up spending a lot of money on an external that would mostly be unusable empty space. It just doesn't feel useful in the same way the 3DS is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
So I spent what seemed like an hour on the last level & credits in Rayman last night.

...only to have the Wii U lock up after finishing the level - but before saving the game fully. It just played this loud noise that wouldn't stop. I had to hold the power button to shut it down.

I loaded the game back up, and it recognized that I had beat the fifth boss. Some stuff was unlocked (such as the "Dark Rayman" levels). Unfortunately, the actual stage I finished is marked as unfinished, and I cannot enter the music stage after it.

Looks like I have to play that level for another hour (most of that seemed to be sitting through the credits).

• Locked thread