Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

That looks great. If I had my way, all trim would be painted black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Dropped the 928 off at a local independent Porsche mechanic fearing the worst for 3rd gear which had been acting up. He ended up fiddling with linkage adjustments and got it working like a champ. Cost me like 60 bucks, the official Porsche dealer won't even take your phone call for less than 10x that...

Next up is planning the winter month activities. I figure an intake refresh (replacing vacuum lines, intake hoses) and fuel line replacement are in line, possibly also refreshing some pieces of the CIS (mechanical injection) system.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I took a comparison photo.

When I got it.

Now.

I also shifted it ready for its morning crawl across town. The brakes feel weird. But the weird feeling also matches what the brakes should apparently feel like so I'll see.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Well, I had last week off as a birthday present to myself, so I took some time to tidy up some things on my Cherokee.
First, I put the aluminum wheels with 31" tires on the truck so I could paint the steel wheels black, so I could live with them until the tires wore out and I could get new tires for the aluminum ones:

I do like how beefy the 31-10.5-15s looked.

They actually only rubbed a bit at full lock in the front in city driving.Unfortunately, those tires are bald (2x) almost bald (2x) and dry rotted (4x). Also unbalanced, and noisy.

After thinking about it for a bit, I went ahead and spring to have the good tires from the steelies moved to the aluminum wheels. They're a trifle narrow, 215/75-15 on 15x8, but I'll fix that when they wear out. They'll do for now.
I did end up having to get one new tire, as I had one old Firestone among the relatively new Goodyears on the truck. I suspect it was the full-size spare when the new tires were purchased, and was rotated in. It was from 2005, starting to dry rot, and Discount Tire refused to have anything to do with it. Fortunately, a new Kumho was $50, and the counter guy waived part of the mounting fees.

I do like those Gambler wheels.

Next, I decide to attack the rusty (surface rust - I'm in N. TX, so no major cancer)
Before:

After a bit of disassembly, sanding, cleaning, bedliner, and reassembly:

Bedliner is good stuff.

Alert observers will note that I also put the fog lights back on. Those came with the replacement bumper that's on the truck - it had a sort of flattened one on it when I got it, but the seller provided an uninstalled replacement from a better-trimmed Cherokee, with fog lights. I did have to work over the fog lights, as they had some surface rust, and had apparently had some water trapped in them for a while:

The other one wasn't as bad, but still had plenty of pinholes.

After sandblasting (my God, I love my blasting cabinet!):

Ah. Good thing these aren't structural!
Out comes the epoxy, AKA JB Weld:

http://wright-here.net/gallery/d/13176-2/IMG_1091.JPG
http://wright-here.net/gallery/d/12980-2/IMG_1092.JPG

Spray galvanizing on the inside, primer on the outside, then a coat of Rustoleum Satin Black, clean all the rubber bits, and good to go:

Geeze, already dirty.
I should probably wire them up now. :P

(I'll get the wiring and OEM switch next time I hit the wrecking yard.)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Blower started making some noise on the Blazer. Pulled it out and found a plastic bag that I guess got sucked in and wrapped around the fan. Also cleared out a bunch of leaves and crap that were piled up next to the evaporator. Couldn't get it all, so I'll have to dismantle the evap housing at some point to get the rest, but the main thing is that the A/C blows again, and maybe it's just psychosomatic but it feels a bit colder on startup now. Guess having airflow across the entire evaporator is a good thing, who knew? :v:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I ordered a brake drum after being told about fatal accidents from shattered drums. Yeah I'd rather not. Paid a serious Aussie tax on it but better than waiting a month. School holidays are knocking.

Also cut back more of the rear hatch lip ready for welding. Then stuff happened, then it rained and I panicked and went nuts with gaffer tape to hopefully keep the rain out.

My son was trying to help me with the body work, producing a paint scraper, a wire brush and a file to work on the paint with :negative:
Was not happy.

For so many reasons, gently caress today. Just about snapped, and there's still plenty to go.

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:
Just did all new A-Arm bushings in the Impala (All 8 - Uppers/lowers). My car now doesn't sound like a rusty swing set when hittin' switches fo' the bitches!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

When I got rid of the Altima, I kept my cheap sub + amp, intending to move them into the Ion fairly quickly.

9 months later, they're both covered in spider webs, and the Ion still has its original stereo. :smith:

So..

I lost the pigtail that ties into the amp's built in high level input, so I ordered a cheap line level converter from Amazon and spliced it into the rear speakers. Tapped into the rear power outlet (which is switched) for the remote lead, since I'm still using the stock stereo - which doesn't have a remote or power antenna lead.

It's all low end stuff (Crunch amp, Polk 12" sub, off the shelf sealed box), but it works, and it's long paid for.

So nice having bass again! :neckbeard:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Yesterday I claybar'd, washed, and waxed my IRL, then I peeled off all the plastidip from the wheels and the little right triangles behind the suicide door windows. After getting the lovely plastic stuff off the rims that protects the chrome parts off with acetone, I plastidip'd them then used glossy clear coat to cover it up and make it more permanent until I can afford to powdercoat them.

As the paint was drying, I had an idea and it actually came out pretty well:

Plastidip'd the badge, I think I may use permanent next time :3:.

I'm hopefully getting a new job this week or next, so if I do I'm going to buy a Borla muffler and some Canuck Motorsports springs.

I don't remember if I mentioned this or not, but since changing out all the bushings and replacing the stripped cradle bolts, this car handles very well and the only thing I can think of that needs work is the headlamp housings need to be replaced. I'm planning on going to a pick n' pull for new ones sometime soon.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm hopefully getting a new job this week or next, so if I do I'm going to buy a Borla muffler and some Canuck Motorsports springs.

http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/p/1123-2-5-inch-Stainless-Saturn-Ion-Redline-LSJ-Catback-Exhaust.aspx

EDIT: Stay away from Pedders springs. They are stiff as gently caress and already blew my less than a year old struts.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Super Aggro Crag posted:

http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/p/1123-2-5-inch-Stainless-Saturn-Ion-Redline-LSJ-Catback-Exhaust.aspx

EDIT: Stay away from Pedders springs. They are stiff as gently caress and already blew my less than a year old struts.

Yeah, my mate has the CM springs and they're as comfortable as OEM but give the car the most drop. As for that Catback, I don't have $500 for a full system yet:saddowns: I just want a new muffler partially so it sounds better and partially because I have a cobalt muffler on currently that is slightly too short :v:.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
You could probably powdercoat the wheels cheaper in Australia than plastidipping them. But that's only because plastidip is highway robbery.

Drove the Niva and the Fairlane and realised just how bad the Fairlane's headlights are after dark. In town crawling along "gently caress I CAN'T SEE!". I see one of those headlight resto kits in its near future. Also I swear there's an electrical smell in the cabin.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Wait...what? How do spring that restrict the movement of your struts (stiff) blow them?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Motronic posted:

Wait...what? How do spring that restrict the movement of your struts (stiff) blow them?

:GM:.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
My 'droid pay-attention-to-your-car application told me it has been 8 months since I changed the oil in the 2000, and haven't updated the mileage in over 6 months. I nearly broke down and cried. :sigh:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

West SAAB Story posted:

My 'droid pay-attention-to-your-car application told me it has been 8 months since I changed the oil in the 2000, and haven't updated the mileage in over 6 months. I nearly broke down and cried. :sigh:

Your phone is an insensitive dick.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Tusen Takk posted:

the only thing I can think of that needs work is the headlamp housings need to be replaced. I'm planning on going to a pick n' pull for new ones sometime soon.

Why not just get a brand new pair?

Also, at least the Pick n Pulls around here tend not to have anything newer than about 2001 or 2002.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

Why not just get a brand new pair?

Also, at least the Pick n Pulls around here tend not to have anything newer than about 2001 or 2002.

Cuz they're $10/each there :v: and they have a bunch of 2004-2007's here, a lot of IONs around town though.

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 19, 2013

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

West SAAB Story posted:

That's why I love my Caddy's Oil Life readout.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Clayed for the first time ever. Holy crap. I never realized paint could feel this smooth!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

Oversprung long-travel McStrut setups nuke the strut a lot faster than an adequately matched spring, I've found. I'm assuming that when compressed, the springs are oscillating a lot more violently than the damper seals are designed to withstand, but I've never looked into it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Truck exhaust suddenly got extremely loud on the way to work yesterday, wonder what happened?

Ah, that'll do it. My coworker got it welded all the way around for the cost of a 12 pack, and now it sounds even quieter than when I got it despite still having the flowmaster.

Also this happened:

Taking a break right now, but I'll try and get the transmission on later tonight. Protip, a Craftsman 1/2" drive 9mm socket is the perfect size to act as a clutch alignment tool on these motors.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
http://imgur.com/a/ZI8zJ

So umm. who wants to see an engine swap in a triumph spitfire?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

cursedshitbox posted:

http://imgur.com/a/ZI8zJ

So umm. who wants to see an engine swap in a triumph spitfire?

Oh gently caress... guess you'd trade it for a bike now?

What happened? Black car tried to turn in front of you?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Black car did not yield in left turn lane. 14' model Q50.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

cursedshitbox posted:

Holy poo poo again, I was wondering what it was, I was thinking Jaaag at first, but they are harder to figure out when the front end is mashed. Other driver cited?

Start taking Aleve now. You'll feel that tomorrow.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

Holy hell how fast was that black car going?

Hope you're faring as well as can be considering.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

cursedshitbox posted:

It'll take 2-4 weeks before the body aches become a standard thing. Do NOT downplay them.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Fucknag posted:

Taking a break right now, but I'll try and get the transmission on later tonight. Protip, a Craftsman 1/2" drive 9mm socket is the perfect size to act as a clutch alignment tool on these motors.

Well THAT escalated quickly.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

General_Failure posted:

Holy hell how fast was that black car going?

Hope you're faring as well as can be considering.

Not very fast he was in the turn lane. don't go play chicken with 3 tons folks.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

is it REALLY that dead? I can see a definite tweaked front trailing arm and the busted transmission, but is the chassis hosed?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ferremit posted:

is it REALLY that dead? I can see a definite tweaked front trailing arm and the busted transmission, but is the chassis hosed?

I see a spring and a driveshaft laying in the road. Along with the transmission broken in half... I'd say it's very dead.

Sucks, just got the interior looking pretty...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So now all he needs is a P38 with a hosed up body or a blown engine and his wreck and he's back on the road again!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Frame bent in 3 locations. 1 at the transmission/radius arm mount where the radius arm got J bent.

once at the panhard/steering box mount, cause I built real panhard rods for it.

once at the core support mount because the bumper made quick work of that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey like I said, at least you're okay.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Ferremit posted:

So now all he needs is a P38 with a hosed up body or a blown engine and his wreck and he's back on the road again!

These trucks are body on frame......

But really, its a lot easier just to find another P38. He does need to yank the interior though, there's others out in this world that need P38 parts. :colbert:
Don't get in front of a Range Rover. We are heavy rear end fucks that will destroy every thing in our paths.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

cursedshitbox posted:

Someone should nominate your Rover for the Victoria Cross for killing one of those lovely new Infinitis.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
lovely indeed. Its crashworthyness is less than expected. it didnt even twist my bumper. :v:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Infiniti driver made the mistake of bringing a plastic car to an APC fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
As much as the Infiniti looks demolished, it's driver is probably less banged up than cursedshitbox.