Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Mercury Crusader posted:

Miku Frost as the new Jack Frost variant. :getin:

I bet fanart of that is being made as we speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Policenaut posted:

It begins.

That was quick.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Policenaut posted:

It begins.

Look at that Jack Frost! He's so happy about that turn of events! :allears:

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Hee-hotsune Miku

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Persona_ebooks/status/380169705530474496

Shadow the Shadow. Persona Ebooks is killing it tonight.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Well at least it wasn't Nintendo, thank god for that.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
I can't wait for one of SMT4's hosed up meatmonsters to appear in Sonic Racers Transformers Alive Revenge

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
The mods over at Neogaf seem to be less worried (and slightly exasperated) about the reaction to this news.

Apparently we should be less worried about quality games coming out from ATLUS and more about whether or not ATLUS USA survives.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Well at least it wasn't Nintendo, thank god for that.

Yeah, now instead of Shin Megami Tensei being a Nintendo console exclusive, it can just be Japan exclusive!

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Mercury Crusader posted:

Yeah, now instead of Shin Megami Tensei being a Nintendo console exclusive, it can just be Japan exclusive!

To be fair, wouldn't Nintendo have gutted Atlus and basically left it as a desiccated corpse? Better to have games in Japan coming at a trickle then no games at all v:shobon:v

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Mercury Crusader posted:

In all honesty, I almost feel as if that's the lesser of two evils. Games you can import and play on consoles that aren't region locked are better than no games at all. I feel Sega is a pretty good pick, if they'll bring over poo poo like Project Diva if it sells well, why wouldn't they bring over Atlus stuff?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Space Bat posted:

To be fair, wouldn't Nintendo have gutted Atlus and basically left it as a desiccated corpse? Better to have games in Japan coming at a trickle then no games at all v:shobon:v

Uhhhh, what are you basing this on?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mercury Crusader posted:

Sega is a bit lovely with that kind of stuff, I agree but if something sells (SMT sells pretty decently) they usually bring it over. I mean like DrPaper said, they brought over Project Diva, and that's a pretty niche title. Why wouldn't they continue bringing over SMT, which sells better than most people tend to realize?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

DrPaper posted:

In all honesty, I almost feel as if that's the lesser of two evils. Games you can import and play on consoles that aren't region locked are better than no games at all. I feel Sega is a pretty good pick, if they'll bring over poo poo like Project Diva if it sells well, why wouldn't they bring over Atlus stuff?

People are just saying it because of what happened to Yakuza and PSO2.

Mind you Sega also allowed Sakura Wars 5 to be released in America as well as Project X Zone.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
whoops double post.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/JohnLHardin/status/380185528714285056

Looks like Atlus USA (actually Index Digital Media Group) employees need to be finding a new job. If we're lucky, Sega will hire on the Persona VAs

Dehry fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 18, 2013

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
What are people basing 'Sega never localizes anythnig!' on, anyway? The big black mark on the record is their PSP RPGs over the past few years, but it's the PSP we're talking about here.

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/JohnLHardin/sta...185528714285056

Looks like Atlus USA (actually Index Digital Media Group) employees need to be finding a new job. If we're lucky, Sega will hire on the Persona VAs

Read it again. He's saying it's too early to tell.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Sega is a bit lovely with that kind of stuff, I agree but if something sells (SMT sells pretty decently) they usually bring it over. I mean like DrPaper said, they brought over Project Diva, and that's a pretty niche title. Why wouldn't they continue bringing over SMT, which sells better than most people tend to realize?

Project DIVA F's localization was positively minimal. It was mostly the scant menus, the song karaoke lyrics, and the descriptions for things like the virtual pet items and the custom song creator. It's nowhere near the level of what Atlus produces text-wise. The physical release was also limited as I understand it? It's encouraging to see stuff like that but it's not like it was that huge of a risk for Sega of America, but I'm shocked they put a Blu-ray out for it.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

What are people basing 'Sega never localizes anythnig!' on, anyway? The big black mark on the record is their PSP RPGs over the past few years, but it's the PSP we're talking about here.

Read it again. He's saying it's too early to tell.

Yakuza 5 and Kenzan never came over and PSO2's US launch has been delayed to "Eventually, maybe", but they've localized quite a bit. I think Project Diva sticks out since there's no real "localization" in the music, yet it still came over - granted Vocaloids having an existing US fanbase helped, but then again so does SMT and Persona.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Policenaut posted:

Project DIVA F's localization was positively minimal. It was mostly the scant menus, the song karaoke lyrics, and the descriptions for things like the virtual pet items and the custom song creator. It's nowhere near the level of what Atlus produces text-wise. The physical release was also limited as I understand it? It's encouraging to see stuff like that but it's not like it was that huge of a risk for Sega of America, but I'm shocked they put a Blu-ray out for it.

Still though, a good number of Sega's RPG stuff can fit on the 3DS and do well.

Not only that but there's ways for other companies to license Atlus games if no North America division exists. Lets not forget the same thing happened with Disgaea for the PS2 before NIS has a USA branch, atlus took the game and released it here.

Captain Failcon
Jul 19, 2008

dill with it
Please make a new Snowboard Kids game SEGATLUS, and bring it to the VITA. Thank you and God Bless

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So will this news also screw with the release of Dark Souls II in America?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Failcon posted:

Please make a new Snowboard Kids game SEGATLUS, and bring it to the VITA. Thank you and God Bless

I like the cut of your jib.

WendigoJohnson posted:

Bamco handled the localization of dark souls and dark souls 2, they only localized demon's souls.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

WendigoJohnson posted:

No since Namco is the one who does Dark Souls 2. Atlus only published Demon Souls since that was a Sony first party release in Japan.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

WendigoJohnson posted:

Still though, a good number of Sega's RPG stuff can fit on the 3DS and do well.

Not only that but there's ways for other companies to license Atlus games if no North America division exists. Lets not forget the same thing happened with Disgaea for the PS2 before NIS has a USA branch, atlus took the game and released it here.

Sega America very rarely (there are very few exceptions to this rule) lets other companies have access to their IPs. I recall reading an interview awhile back about how Atlus approached Sega America for the rights to localize Valkyria Chronicles 3. SA outright refused them. They will also probably get first pickings IF Atlus USA remains open.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm not that panicked, Sega had been buying a bunch of PC developers and letting them do their own thing.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm not that panicked, Sega had been buying a bunch of PC developers and letting them do their own thing.

Maybe this will mean Atlus games on Steam?

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Since we got General Winter in Sonic All-Stars to celebrate them purchasing the Company of Heroes IP, does this mean we'll get Jack Frost and a pachinko machine to celebrate this?

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

DrPaper posted:

Since we got General Winter in Sonic All-Stars to celebrate them purchasing the Company of Heroes IP, does this mean we'll get Jack Frost and a pachinko machine to celebrate this?

It should be Mara in his chariot.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Pasteurized Milk posted:

It should be Mara in his chariot.

Jack Frost in Mara's chariot.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The biggest question is what happens to Atlus USA. I'm honestly not very worried at all about Atlus Japan.

Captain Failcon
Jul 19, 2008

dill with it

Pureauthor posted:

The biggest question is what happens to Atlus USA. I'm honestly not very worried at all about Atlus Japan.

Most likely they won't be bought, SEGA has it's own translation department

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pureauthor posted:

It's too early to tell according to their PR guy, although the first time I read his tweet it looked like he was confirming Sega will be publishing everything. Especially since one of his other tweets in the same hour was wishing it were Friday.

Index Digital Media(Atlus USA) is a company incorporated in the US with full ownership by the larger index corporation which absorbed Atlus in 2010. They're going to restructure index and could easily move around the SMT IP or the Atlus studio to Sega making Index Digital Media redundant. That being said, it's anyone's guess right now.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
As a PSO fan this is the worst case scenario.
I'd like to think that Sega would be awesome and use ATLUS USA to localise their games (and then maybe use SOE to mitigate that stupid six month wait ATLUS was want to punish European fans with) but that would be a smart thing to do and Sega is not good at smart.

As is, I'm just going to remember the good run we've had from Nocturne to P4G and just consider myself lucky that EO4 is out in the uk already.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

How bad is Sega's localization compared to Atlus USA? Have Sega made bad localizations recently?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ConanThe3rd posted:

As a PSO fan this is the worst case scenario.

...how? How does this mean anything for PSO in any fashion at all?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

...how? How does this mean anything for PSO in any fashion at all?
I Mean that PSO2 does not paint a nice picture of future ATLUS titles and thier chances of getting a localisation.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

DrPaper posted:

Ah yes, the lesser of two evils being years of learning Japanese just to play SMT games, I hear ya.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Healbot posted:

Ah yes, the lesser of two evils being years of learning Japanese just to play SMT games, I hear ya.

Considering the two biggest bidders where Sega and a bank interested in breaking into the cell phone game market, would you rather learn Japanese, or learn Japanese and need a Japanese cellphone to play on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

DrPaper posted:

Considering the two biggest bidders where Sega and a bank interested in breaking into the cell phone game market, would you rather learn Japanese, or learn Japanese and need a Japanese cellphone to play on?

The bank would have sold Atlus separately to make a bit of money on top, seeing as SMT isn't quite what people would call a big seller on the cell market.

Edit: Though that is wild speculation on my side. I thought you were on about Sega vs. Nintendo.

Healbot fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Sep 18, 2013