Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
I asked something like this in the guitar thread, but I don't think I was asking the right thing. I want to make some drumbeats to go along with my guitar parts, but I can't really figure out how that works. The only software I have right now is garageband, but I'm not opposed to getting additional software. Ideally this would be something I can "play" using the keyboard (computer, not musical) to try and come up with them and then maybe program in manually to ensure solid timing. Does that sound realistic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
I want to take up singing karaoke but I've never sung in front of any audience before. How can I learn the basics of singing pop music and what kind of songs to pick? Should I use google to find local music lessons?

v v v Oh. I guess that's cheaper than lessons. I can't be much worse than the drunks who forget half the words.

teardrop fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 15, 2013

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Just drink a few beer and go up on stage man

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

teardrop posted:

I want to take up singing karaoke but I've never sung in front of any audience before. How can I learn the basics of singing pop music and what kind of songs to pick? Should I use google to find local music lessons?

v v v Oh. I guess that's cheaper than lessons. I can't be much worse than the drunks who forget half the words.

Aim high! You can BE one of the drunks who forgets half the words!

cactuscarpet
Sep 12, 2011

I don't even know what rasta means.

TopherCStone posted:

I asked something like this in the guitar thread, but I don't think I was asking the right thing. I want to make some drumbeats to go along with my guitar parts, but I can't really figure out how that works. The only software I have right now is garageband, but I'm not opposed to getting additional software. Ideally this would be something I can "play" using the keyboard (computer, not musical) to try and come up with them and then maybe program in manually to ensure solid timing. Does that sound realistic?

Doesn't garage band come with a bunch of drum samples anyway?

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

cactuscarpet posted:

Doesn't garage band come with a bunch of drum samples anyway?

It might but I have no idea what I'm doing and it seems like it's just prerecorded loops that you're supposed to stick together, which doesn't really fit with my music

e: finally found something that works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p5qPN2hT-M

everything else was, as he says, just showing you how to drag around the packaged loops

TopherCStone fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 15, 2013

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Fuck Your Website fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 16, 2013

Red Garland
Jan 6, 2013
I have a question for anyone playing in a band and recording their own stuff. Is playing with other people good for getting your creative juices flowing? Often I find myself sitting infront of my DAW and not being able to do anything and I started wondering.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Red Garland posted:

I have a question for anyone playing in a band and recording their own stuff. Is playing with other people good for getting your creative juices flowing? Often I find myself sitting infront of my DAW and not being able to do anything and I started wondering.

I'm absolutely terrible at writing anything, and then my friend comes over and shows me a tiny fragment of something stuck in his head and all of a sudden I become a solo-monster

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Red Garland posted:

Simply being in a band (that does original stuff) is a huge creative benefit. If you just have some little nugget of an idea, sometimes the other guys will start to roll with it and it evolves into a full-on song. I had a couple of really productive periods in a couple of bands, and it went both ways- they could help shape something I came up with, and I could do the same with their ideas.

If you really dedicate yourself to something like die waffel hund's post-and-comment thread, you can get some of that mojo, but being in a band together kind of raises the stakes and accountability. You want to deliver something your bandmates will dig, and you want every song your band produces to be solid, even if it wasn't your initial concept.

I really miss having someone local to bounce my ideas off of. (And someone to play guitar for me!)

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Not even being in a band; just playing in realtime with other people is one of the best ways to improve (learn and get energized). Music is its own language, and talking or reading about it is only ever a substitute for sharing and developing ideas in person. It's a little bit like sex or sports, there's so many little things you won't pick up any other way.

Bonus points if you can find somebody who is a little more experienced than you to play with, since that will challenge you to expand your horizons, and try things you wouldn't have thought of otherwise. Or somebody who plays in kind of a different style.

Play with other people!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I think a lot of it is down to having something going on that you have to pay attention to and find your own space in, something you can potentially (:v:) influence but you can't actually control. It's kind of like something that already exists that you own a piece of, instead of you coming in with a clean slate and building everything from the ground up. You can get a little bit of it just from jamming over stuff you've recorded, and let things evolve that way, but with other people you're getting music coming from a different place, and you'll always get something unexpected and cool moments where everything just comes together at the same time.

Either way, it's a good idea to record it, whether it's with people or just you messing over a riff or a looper pedal. You'll notice stuff when you listen back that you might have missed, and you can say 'ok more of that I think'

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
I wasn't sure where the best place would be to ask this, so I thought I would start here. I'm collecting video game music remixes and music inspired by/containing samples of video games for a theme event I'm going to DJ. I've come across a couple of quality artists that have done work in this area like Ephixa, but a lot of it seems to be lower quality stuff or one-offs. I'm leaning towards classic games like Nintendo and Sega stuff, but modern stuff is great too (I love Ephixa's "Turret Error" track based on Portal). Does anyone have any suggestions for good stuff in this sub-genre?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I remember downloading a ton of stuff from Over Clocked Remixes when I was a teenager. If that site still exists you might find some neat stuff.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I feel stupid for having to ask this but, how the hell do I split a 35mm output to a L and R channel and into 2 1/4" inputs. Basicly I on my interface I have an AUX in that has 2 1/4 ins and I want to be able to listen to my ipod/laptop through my interface.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

HollisBrown posted:

I feel stupid for having to ask this but, how the hell do I split a 35mm output to a L and R channel and into 2 1/4" inputs. Basicly I on my interface I have an AUX in that has 2 1/4 ins and I want to be able to listen to my ipod/laptop through my interface.
The idea is this:

Plus a couple of those:

Now usually I'd recommend to just go monoprice, but recently I've read more than one horrifying review about the latter type of adapters, saying that the tip broke off and got stuck. It's worth spending a few bucks more to avoid this.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Flipperwaldt posted:

The idea is this:

Plus a couple of those:

Now usually I'd recommend to just go monoprice, but recently I've read more than one horrifying review about the latter type of adapters, saying that the tip broke off and got stuck. It's worth spending a few bucks more to avoid this.

I tried that, I did a 35mm->RCA with RCA->1/4" but I got practically no signal, it was present but really quite.

Why wouldn't that work?

Hollis Brownsound fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 18, 2013

DrChu
May 14, 2002

HollisBrown posted:

I tried that, I did a 35mm->RCA with RCA->1/4" but I got practically no signal, it was present but really quite.

Why wouldn't that work?

Did you increase the gain on the interface, or the output of your device? It sounds like you're sending a headphone signal to something that's expecting a line level signal, a headphone signal will be weaker than line.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

DrChu posted:

Did you increase the gain on the interface, or the output of your device? It sounds like you're sending a headphone signal to something that's expecting a line level signal, a headphone signal will be weaker than line.

It's an aux in so there is no gain but I can get normal level just by using a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter but then I'm missing a channel.

The Aux input is a +4dbu input but headphone level should be close enough and it wierd that it will work when it's 1/8 to 1/4 but not 1/8->RCA->1/4

Hollis Brownsound fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 18, 2013

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

Epi Lepi posted:

I remember downloading a ton of stuff from Over Clocked Remixes when I was a teenager. If that site still exists you might find some neat stuff.

It does indeed and this looks quite promising. Thanks for the link!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

HollisBrown posted:

Why wouldn't that work?
I don't know. What sort of interface (brand/model) are we talking about?

I'm doing this exact thing on a Roland Quad Capture, which also has +4dBu inputs and it works fine.

Could this be a balanced/unbalanced thing? For the RCA->1/4" adapter, does the 1/4" end have a TS or a TRS configuration? Do you have a multimeter to verify center goes to tip and sleeve goes to sleeve?

edit and in the case of an adapter with TRS, what corrseponds with the ring, if anything at all?

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Sep 18, 2013

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
It's a Digi 003+, I don't think the aux ins are balanced, but the only RCA->1/4" adapters I could find were stereo but I didn't think that would make a difference. Maybe it does.

Edit: IT DOES MATTER! So I found an RCA->mono 1/4" and it works, now I just need to find a 2nd one.

Hollis Brownsound fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 18, 2013

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
My powered mixer gives me unbalanced 1/4" output on Aux 1. Can I connect this to a powered monitor with a balanced XLR input? Would I need a special cable? I'm assuming the Aux output won't be amplified by the mixer already.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
I have a dilemma, or rather a slight 'first world problem'. My bonus came in, and it's a lot less than I expected, but enough to buy either a new media server for the house, or Komplete 9/Ultimate.

My goal for a while has been to produce music for TV/Games/Movies to supplement my income, however, I'm a relative newbie when it comes to music production.

I've played around with Live and Absynth 4. I have decent enough equipment (midi keyboard, monitor, audio interface, computer) and a dedicated room, but I think I was missing the motivation (which my lovely bonus has just provided) and a decent set of virtual instruments. The value for money that Komplete brings, as opposed to buying the individual products makes it a very attractive proposition.

So all this is a roundabout way of saying I'm eyeing up Komplete 9 and Ultimate, but am worried it'll be wasted on me. I have the motivation now to put some serious time into learning this stuff, and some knowledge of music (I played piano and double bass in orchestras as a youngster).

Any thoughts/advice?

modeski fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 28, 2013

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

IMHO, don't buy it. At least not yet. Learn and get used to producing. It might seem like a good idea and what will kick start you on the path of creativity but really you will be floundering about because now you have a million options and no clue where or when to use them.

Download one or two vsts and learn them. Understand what each knob and slider actually does. Grab samples from places like freesound.org and learn how to manipulate them in you daw of choice.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Stravinsky posted:

IMHO, don't buy it. At least not yet. Learn and get used to producing. It might seem like a good idea and what will kick start you on the path of creativity but really you will be floundering about because now you have a million options and no clue where or when to use them.
I do know where you're coming from. My own first exposure to Native Instruments was Komplete 6 (2010?), which I think is probably the weakest Komplete they ever released in terms of total number of included products, but even that was really overwhelming. I just didn't know where to start.

However, modeski, if you're able to find the time to invest in learning the tools, there are some good tutorials out there (I like MacProVideo best- they're not free, but I learned nearly every NI instrument there) and Komplete Ultimate will give you the tools to do just about anything you can imagine.

FM8 is the only one that I've actively tried to learn and still haven't gotten much traction yet. Reaktor is fascinating, but I haven't been inspired to design my own devices yet... some of the Reaktor add-ins included with K9U are fantastic though. I use Massive, Battery (although I prefer Battery 3), and Komplete in just about everything these days. And some of the new effects plugins are really great too.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
After a lot of consideration, I bought Komplete 9 Ultimate. It's great value for money, and I particularly wanted the cinematic products that are only in Ultimate. Plus who wants to spend all day loading DVDs?!

I'm fully aware that it's a lot of cash to be splashing, but it also provides me with an incentive to ensure I haven't wasted my money.

To that end, I'm going to Toxx Clause myself here. When K9U arrives (probably 10 days to Australia), I'm going cold turkey on video games, these here forums and Reddit...for six entire months. At the end of six months I will return with at least one track deemed worthy (by me) of putting on the internet. Should I post anything in the interim, I will pay for someone to give me a custom title that I'll leave intact for a full year.

Balls to the wall, pedal to the metal, full immersion is the way I feel will work best for me to make a proper go of this. There are so many distractions, so I'm just going to go monastic on this motherfucker.

EDIT: It arrived! Installing now. Be back in six months.

modeski fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 11, 2013

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
nm asking in synth thread

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 14, 2013

cactuscarpet
Sep 12, 2011

I don't even know what rasta means.
Why would you shut yourself off from all the helpful advice these forums could offer?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
I figured I'd get more replies in the synth thread and I didn't want to crosspost my question so I just let it go :shobon:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Small question that I didn't really know where to ask. I listen to a lot of music and dabble in ableton on my pc and currently have my sennheiser hd555 connected directly to my onboard audio. The audio isn't as loud as I would like it to be so I'm looking to fix that. Is a FiiO E6 something that would improve that?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It might make things louder but for $25 the quality is likely to be pretty terrible, and even if it turned out to be pretty transparent (or you bought a more expensive one) you may start to notice failings in your onboard audio once you push it up past current levels. As you mentioned dabbling in Ableton you may be better off investing in a dedicated audio interface which will give you much better (and louder) sound quality overall as well as giving you some more inputs and outputs which may come in handy as you go forward in your production ventures. Have a browse through the low cost audio interface thread and see what the current darling of the budget interfaces is and see if you can fit it into your price range.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
To be honest I'd only really be using the output on it as I don't have anything to connect to it besides an axiom 49 which I currently have hooked up through usb. Though the issue you listed with headphone amps makes sense and it would be good to avoid that.

I guess I'll just try and grab one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Avid-M-Audi...=item4aca9e296a

unless there is a better route to go for mostly music listening.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
Can someone reccomend a decent set of unpowered PA speakers for under $650 (700 tops) a pr? Other catch is they gotta be from what Clearwater offers since that is our wholesaler.
http://www.sweetwater.com/c135--Passive_Unpowered_PA_Speakers/low2high

I am writing up a budget for a music studio at a charter school. Recording monitors, I know exactly what I want. But we need some "house" speakers for the room. Definitly going with unpowered as the electricity is sketchy as hell, and just have one power conditioner, plus lack of outets. I am trying to get a good electrician in as part of the budget.

It's aprox 30 x 60 feet but we only run the studio in one half, and I will be throwing some sound conditioning up eventully too.
I was thinking these Peavy 115’s with either QSC or Crown amp.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PV115/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GX5

Music will primarily be hip hop which is why I'm thinking 15’s till we can work a sub in. Was also thinking the Mackies as I have heard and liked the powered version SRM450's, but those are 12's... Would size vs quality end up being a wash?

Edit- and while it'd be nice if they could do double duty for stage stuff, not really my concern. Listening levels in the room would certainly peak under loud DJ volumes, so that's why I am wondering if smaller, but better cabs might be the way to go.

Interstitial Abs fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 23, 2013

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Does anyone know of any resources for practicing sight reading drum set stuff?

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

Jazz Marimba posted:

Does anyone know of any resources for practicing sight reading drum set stuff?

Do you mean method book recommendations or a site full of free charts/reading?

As far as books go, my perc teacher had a nice progression and I'll detail them. Since you didn't say what level I'll assume you don't have any kit experience (I started on snare and kit and now trying to work up my mallets :) Stevens grip is tough :( )

Alfred's Modern Drumset Method -- I love the Alfred's series. (They do snare too) They incrementally get tougher, and then there are three charts interspersed that incorporate what you've been learning. Get it with the play along CD and try to nail the charts. Reading charts is a separate art form unlike anything else (closest would be comping vibeson a real book chart) so it's good to dip a toe in, while also learning stock beats and fills.

The way my teacher used the book got a ton of mileage outta it. He is lefty but drumset you should be as ambidextrous as you can develop. So go through the exercise with right hand on hi hat. Then right hand on ride with left foot playing 2 and 4. Then lef hand on hi hat and right on snare. If you are righty it will suck and feel repetitive. Do it anyhow. It's all about developing limb independence.

The biggest thing with set is getting limbs to hit at the same time..... Don't settle for a flam sound between say hi hat and bass drum. It should sound like one hit with those sounds blended together. Took a lesson from a local jazz hero and the entire lesson was about making the kit sound like one balanced instrument, not a group of random sounds... Totally changed my perception and attention to detail.

Realistic Rock - Carmine Appice -- Continuing where Alfred's left off. Again, do that right on HH, right on ride and left foot on HH on 2 and 4 and left hand on HH.

Mel Bay's studio/jazz drum cookbook - John Pickering -- the examples have a good difficulty progression. Written in one bar phrases, but don't just settle for getting it right a few times in a row. Groove each one for say 16 bars once you think you have it... Then try to read the page across, or down doing one bar each. THAT will get you good at switching up patterns. Try sprang a Lang on both ride and with hi hat doing the half open on 2 and 4.

Also, Pickering has a great book on reading charts. Blanking on the name at the moment but lots if detailed explanation THEN exercises. Read the words, otherwise working out charts will be super confusing without a teacher. There are other good chart books, but that's a whole other post if you are just looking to read beats right now.

Beats And Variations For Dance Band Drummers - Joel Rothman -- some are a little dated, or stock, but Latin, Afro Cuban and middle eastern beats. My bud said the klezmer beats are a little corny, but again it's just having something you can lean on if someone randomly asks you to play a samba and you haven't been grinding on those feels.
Actually Joel Rothman has a few decent books. Problem is he borrows material from himself and they get repetitive.

And lastly New Breed by Gary Chester if you have three months where you want to drive yourself mad with an insanely detailed, but great system for working on 5 limb co ordination(the fifth being voice.... Yeah, just adding that will bog you down as much as when you tried to add a rigHt hand in the beginning of playing set)

But if you just meant sight read new material that is always different a great trick is picking a stock beat (say jazz sprang a Lang) and reading a single line rhythm on snare.. Then on bass. Etc.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Interstitial Abs posted:

lots of great stuff

Oops, I suppose skill level is actually somewhat relevant to my question. I'd say "advanced but not professional". I suppose a website (multiple?) is/are exactly what I'm looking for since I'm leaning toward "free", and with an equal emphasis on both charts and reading.

That Pickering book seems like something that I'd actually spend money on at the moment...I hope you remember it soon, because I couldn't find much with vague search terms. In the meantime, what are those other chart books you mentioned?

How would you compare the Jazz Drum Cookbook to John Riley's Art of Bop Drumming? And what's the sprang a Lang? I can't seem to find anything about it.

I've actually gone through most of New Breed (sans singing, haha), and it's probably my favorite book for how detailed it is and how much you can get out of it. Do the Alfred books and Realistic Rock have anything that is substantially more well done than New Breed, or do they cover a lot of the same stuff?

Also, Burton grip supremacy!

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Can anyone recommend a mid-range violin? My lady played a bit a few years ago and has dropped some hints to get back into it. Sub 1k.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

magiccarpet posted:

Can anyone recommend a mid-range violin? My lady played a bit a few years ago and has dropped some hints to get back into it. Sub 1k.

My violin was gifted to me from this website. Since it was a gift, I don't know which specific one it is, it's only marked with the website. Honestly though, I wouldn't recommend buying something yourself or from a website. For as boring as it is, I would say drag her to a local music shop and let her pick one out. The violin that was gifted to me didn't really work for me that well, and it took months to finally click with me.

For what it's worth, it is a very good instrument though. It's a beautiful work of art that came with rosewood pegs and chin-rest, which is pretty uncommon, and it has really mellow high pitches that blend well with an orchestra. However, for example, I was also given a genuine horsehair bow that sucked complete rear end and had awful balance. I got better sound out of a $40 synthetic nylon bow.

edit: Whoops, didn't realize I responded to a two week old post. Oh well.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I recently bought a 70's tribute Gibson SG and I think it's got a problem.

I set it up according to Gibson specs (5/64 low E, 3/64 high (actually, with the bridge all the way down I can only get string height to 4/64 on low E) .012 neck relief on 9th and 10th fret when holding down 1st and 17th). Intonation sounds good though I don't have a super accurate tuner, only my PodXT which is pretty good.

The thing is awesome to play and I love the neck profile only problem being I get string buzz on all strings from about the 10th fret and higher.
I'm thinking it has a high fret somewhere after the 14th fret or so. Does this sound like I'm on the right track? I have never tried doing anything with frets but it seems like it shouldn't be too hard to at least check with a straight edge and maybe dress it down with one of those kits but depending on what you guys think it might just be better to give it to someone to deal with.

I also have an 80's Gretsch Duojet with a poo poo load of fret wear so I learning to do fret work may be really helpful with my two sick guitars. I work as a tech at a Porsche dealer so messing with expensive fiddly things is kind of fun for me but destroying expensive things because I bit off more than I can chew is not.

Anyone luthier in San Diego want to walk a noob through it?