Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Maple Leaf posted:

Aside from Iwata blaming the Wii U on himself, has anyone at Nintendo made any other statement about the Wii U's crushing failure? I'm interested in hearing their stance on the matter, straight from their mouths.

They're still predicting big success in the near future, no one at Nintendo is going to accept it as a failure this soon. Certainly not publicly.

Like I said before, their official prediction for this financial year (April to March 2014) was 9 million Wii Us sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

greatn posted:

I think we'll probably hear from the new executives once the current ones are given nice retirement packages, or shifted into different jobs within the company.

It's a Japanese company so they'll get 'promoted'.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Sakurazuka posted:

It's a Japanese company so they'll get 'promoted'.

That's not what happened to Gunpei after the virtual boy, our closest analogue.

I guess if you want to use the PS3 as a model, Iwata will be hired by Microsoft and put in charge of the Xbox 2. REGGIE will then be put in charge of saving the WiiU, but Reggie...well he's no Jack Tretton.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
No matter what happens over the next decade, I hope Treehouse is never dismantled or downsized. The guys and girls at the Treehouse seem like such a close-knit group who just want to translate things and insert corny references only ten percent of the players will get. :unsmith:

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho

I said come in! posted:

I just really don't think it's a thing that people need to keep bringing up. Selling hardware at a loss isn't relevant. Every company does it with the only real exception being Apple. Having strong software sales is how profits are made, with eventually making a profit on the hardware.

Personally I think it's a practice that can have fairly toxic effects when a massive corporation like Microsoft decides to take such huge losses on their hardware. I think it distorts peoples' perception of the cost of hardware such that when a company makes a sensible move and attempts to profit, or even just break-even, on their hardware they are called out as rip-off artists or trying to fleece their customers. Losing massive amounts while selling consoles is a bit desperate, in my eyes, and obviously a gamble that sensible and conservative companies should often avoid.
But then people question why everybody doesn't do it the way Microsoft and Sony have. It's silly, imo.

greatn posted:

Why? It's not like the people over at Mega Bloks are cursing the sky, desperate to beat Lego in the block wars. It's not a zero sum business.

True.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I got one, played and beat Wario Land. That was an awesome game I kind of want someone Nintendo to get the crazy idea of doing a 3DS version of.

We ended up selling it like a year after it came out to some neighbours of ours for like $100. Can't believe we pulled that sale off. I heard they played it a lot too...

Well, you know, I've realized that a lot of games, and obviously systems as well, are released because someone thought they were great. So even if they end up being in a vanishingly tiny minority, it's almost certain that some people out there will also love those games/consoles.
There's nothing wrong with that.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

People seem confused about why Wind Waker HD is going digital first
Isn't it just because something like 100% of the profit goes to Nintendo in that case, while retailers physical copies are like 10% or something else super low?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

People seem confused about why Wind Waker HD is going digital first
Isn't it just because something like 100% of the profit goes to Nintendo in that case, while retailers physical copies are like 10% or something else super low?

The retailer is the one making 10% or less on the copy of the game. Nintendo as publisher and developer and owner of the system its distributed on will be seeing 60-80% of the profit of the sale. Digital is better but Nintendo's unique market position makes it a great sale either way.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jumbled_Johnsons posted:

Well, you know, I've realized that a lot of games, and obviously systems as well, are released because someone thought they were great. So even if they end up being in a vanishingly tiny minority, it's almost certain that some people out there will also love those games/consoles.
There's nothing wrong with that.

Even the Apple Pippin? Though I got to admit, I'd probably enjoy the N-Gage if I could have it along for trips or something.

It sucks when you like something but you're like, the only person who's into it so it dies a quick death. Somewhere, the lone Game com fan needs a hug.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I'm sure there a scores of people mourning the death of communities for obscure half life and UT mods. Also, no one will sign onto the microsoft gaming zone to play star wars jedi knight with me anymore, kill me.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

WickedHate posted:

It sucks when you like something but you're like, the only person who's into it so it dies a quick death. Somewhere, the lone Game com fan needs a hug.
It had a really good version of Sinistar, okay?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

homeless snail posted:

It had a really good version of Sinistar, okay?

How could you see it on that abysmal refresh rate? Playing it on any action game was like trying to play on a melting television.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Jeffrey posted:

I'm sure there a scores of people mourning the death of communities for obscure half life and UT mods. Also, no one will sign onto the microsoft gaming zone to play star wars jedi knight with me anymore, kill me.

God I miss playing Descent on that thing

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

So did Nintendo ever release their official August Wii U sales numbers? The most I saw was gleaned from the NPD pie chart, which was around 30k.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Midee posted:

So did Nintendo ever release their official August Wii U sales numbers? The I saw was gleaned from the NPD pie chart, which was around 30k.

Nope. They don't put out monthly press releases when the numbers are bad, and their next quarterly financial report isn't until the end of October.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Considering their bonehead move of announcing a price drop a month in advance, probably one of the better decisions they've made

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Astro7x posted:

Considering their bonehead move of announcing a price drop a month in advance, probably one of the better decisions they've made

Everyone (myself included) was saying they weren't talking about a pricedrop because it'd be the dumbest thing ever to even make a peep about one in advance. Price drops are supposed to just happen and bam everyone's going "Oh poo poo it's X amount now maybe I can get one."

Never fail to disappoint, Nintendo.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Astro7x posted:

Honestly a lot of people have been waiting for it since the price feel in Europe, so it's been even longer then a month.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bobnumerotres posted:

Never fail to disappoint, Nintendo.

This thread would make my child self cry.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Me: "Man, Wonderful 101 looks like a lot of fun and I loved Platinum/Clover's other games and with the stuff coming up I think that'll sell the system for me."
Nintendo: "W101's delayed for a month in NA because we believe games don't sell in August for some reason."
Me: "Oh well, at least I'll get it then."
Nintendo: "A week after W101 hits NA we're dropping the system price and bundling a Zelda game."
Me: "Do you want me to buy your system or not?"

At this rate I'm convinced that on Saturday they'll announce that if I wait until October to buy a WiiU I can get a pony with it. Then in November the pony will fly.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

WickedHate posted:

Well, it depends on how long you'd keep the hypothetical subscription going. I got an FC Twin for about a hundred, maybe.

I paid $10 for my SNES and $5 for my NES. The NES game with about 5 games. What are you doing buying a knockoff for that much?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Bruceski posted:

At this rate I'm convinced that on Saturday they'll announce that if I wait until October to buy a WiiU I can get a pony with it. Then in November the pony will fly.
*Offer only applies in the NTSC-J region.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AlmightyBob posted:

I paid $10 for my SNES and $5 for my NES. The NES game with about 5 games. What are you doing buying a knockoff for that much?

Especially when the knockoff in question has a list price of $40 at that.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Install Windows posted:

Especially when the knockoff in question has a list price of $40 at that.

It might very well have been 40 or so. I don't remember, I was just guessing, it's been so long.

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Me: "Man, Wonderful 101 looks like a lot of fun and I loved Platinum/Clover's other games and with the stuff coming up I think that'll sell the system for me."
Nintendo: "W101's delayed for a month in NA because we believe games don't sell in August for some reason."
Me: "Oh well, at least I'll get it then."
Nintendo: "A week after W101 hits NA we're dropping the system price and bundling a Zelda game."
Me: "Do you want me to buy your system or not?"

If they'd released Wonderful 101 in NA on the same day they launched in Europe, I would've been able to get it for my brother's birthday in the first week of September. Instead, he got a Tales game for the PS3. The internet says that August and September are some of the most crowded months in terms of birthdays, so I wonder how many sales they delayed until Christmas due to that, and how many sales they'll lose between then to other games that come out in the meantime.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Crowbear posted:

It is currently crushing the OUYA (4000 sold this month) and the Shield (less than 2000) as well :cool:

Well at least it is still crushing the OUYA.
Thank god for that...

gently caress we're actually comparing it to OUYA sales now?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

kimpira posted:

If they'd released Wonderful 101 in NA on the same day they launched in Europe, I would've been able to get it for my brother's birthday in the first week of September. Instead, he got a Tales game for the PS3. The internet says that August and September are some of the most crowded months in terms of birthdays, so I wonder how many sales they delayed until Christmas due to that, and how many sales they'll lose between then to other games that come out in the meantime.

Or we could point out that they went up against GTA V, which is suicide for even the biggest franchises.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Fulchrum posted:

Or we could point out that they went up against GTA V, which is suicide for even the biggest franchises.

Pffft! That would imply GTA V was on the wii-u :smug:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

There are going to be more copies of GTAV sold total than hardware and software sales of any kind on the Wii U.

Speaking of which, did they release info on how many copies of W101 sold in its second/third weeks?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
In Japan? It dropped out of the top 30 after its first week so we didn't get any more info. Number 30 the week after it came out was around 2500 copies, so less than that.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

WickedHate posted:

Even the Apple Pippin?

Isn't the Pippin version of Marathon really good? Plus it has like, ten Gundam strategy games.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

boom boom boom posted:

Isn't the Pippin version of Marathon really good?\

Nah, it's just Marathon with a worse control scheme and the same graphics.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
They should have released with a system-selling killer app like Wii Sports U. That game sold like 80 million copies, it made the Wii. No idea why they dumped such a popular series like Wii Sports and Wii Fit in favour of Pikmin and Zombie U, those games aren't going to sell systems.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

pisshead posted:

They should have released with a system-selling killer app like Wii Sports U. That game sold like 80 million copies, it made the Wii. No idea why they dumped such a popular series like Wii Sports and Wii Fit in favour of Pikmin and Zombie U, those games aren't going to sell systems.

Well guess what they announced today...

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

pisshead posted:

Both of these are actually coming out in November. The Wii sports, surprisingly, has actual online. Wii fit will be essentially $20 if you already have a board and Sports will be piecemeal $10 per game. $10 for hd online enhanced Wii bowling? Yes please!

Nintendo of course announced this at 6:00 am in an unadvertised Nintendo Direct. I'm not even joking.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

greatn posted:

Both of these are actually coming out in November. The Wii sports, surprisingly, has actual online. Wii fit will be essentially $20 if you already have a board and Sports will be piecemeal $10 per game. $10 for hd online enhanced Wii bowling? Yes please!

Nintendo of course announced this at 6:00 am in an unadvertised Nintendo Direct. I'm not even joking.

"We control the channel and have a loyal following so lets not use any of that for what is likely the most important announcement we could make in the next 6 months for our shareholders"

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Astro Nut posted:

Well guess what they announced today...

A day late and a dollar short.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Why wasn't Wii Fit U ready for launch? A new version requires absolutely no effort, and might actually make non-gamers realise that there is a new Nintendo console out.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Wii U is back bellow the PSP in Japan. Also it sold 1.8% of what the 3DS did this week.

Monster Hunter is ridiculous

That loving Sned posted:

Why wasn't Wii Fit U ready for launch? A new version requires absolutely no effort, and might actually make non-gamers realise that there is a new Nintendo console out.

I dunno about launch, but it was definitely held back from earlier this year.

I still don't think Wii Fit U is gonna do poo poo for the system. $320 for an incremental upgrade to a fitness game seems pretty drat steep.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I really like what they are doing with the distribution method and pricing for Wii Sports Club and Wii Fit U, but it's not going to sell any systems...

The 30 day free trial of Wii Fit U seems kind of neat, as well as the 24 hour trial for Wii Sports Club. The pricing feels appropriate and the online functions seem really nice. I don't see myself ever doing the 1 day pass thing, but I will be buying Bowling and Golf for sure.

Between Wii Sports Club, the Wii Fit U mini games, and Wii Party it's going to be a good combo for party games for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

When Wii U party gets released they should bundle it with the system, and include the Free trials of Wii sports HD and Fit pre installed. That would be a real attractive system for a casual consumer I think.

• Locked thread