Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Chichevache posted:

Zodiac is up. I haven't watched it yet, but everyone in here has been recommending it and Gyllenhaal is the star.

Zodiac is one of the most underrated films of the last decade IMO. It's extremely well done and despite the long run time, it never once felt boring or slow to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Zodiac is one of the most underrated films of the last decade IMO. It's extremely well done and despite the long run time, it never once felt boring or slow to me.

I'm pretty sure if you ranked the top 10 most underrated films of the last decade at least 3 would be from Gylenhaal.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Watched Nitro Circus last night based on this gif that someone posted in the gif thread:

:stare: Hooooly crap. The building jump on bigwheels was giving me the willies.

EDIT: Another if that doesn't do it:

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 19, 2013

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
Oh my god why didn't anyone tell me Twin Peaks features David Duchovny in full drag as a transgender FBI agent?? That was the most delightful surprise television has thrown at me for a while.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Monkeyseesaw posted:

Oh my god why didn't anyone tell me Twin Peaks features David Duchovny in full drag as a transgender FBI agent?? That was the most delightful surprise television has thrown at me for a while.

And THAT is why nobody told you.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chichevache posted:

I'm pretty sure if you ranked the top 10 most underrated films of the last decade at least 3 would be from Gylenhaal.

The guy hasn't made too many mistakes in his career. The only huge black mark on his resume is Prince of Persia, and that's more of Disney's fault than anything (casting a Jewish man with Swedish heritage as a "Prince of Persia" is hilarious). He's awesome from October Sky to End of Watch, and pretty much everything in between.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Yoshifan823 posted:

The guy hasn't made too many mistakes in his career. The only huge black mark on his resume is Prince of Persia, and that's more of Disney's fault than anything (casting a Jewish man with Swedish heritage as a "Prince of Persia" is hilarious). He's awesome from October Sky to End of Watch, and pretty much everything in between.

I remember watching Source Code thinking it'd be the biggest waste of time and a dud, but I ended up enjoying it a lot. I thought the whole Source Code is really a time machine! felt like an add-on instead of an actual twist, but I haven't watched it since the initial viewing. Did anyone else feel that way?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Franchescanado posted:

I remember watching Source Code thinking it'd be the biggest waste of time and a dud, but I ended up enjoying it a lot. I thought the whole Source Code is really a time machine! felt like an add-on instead of an actual twist, but I haven't watched it since the initial viewing. Did anyone else feel that way?

It's less a time machine and more every time the Source Code is activated it creates a splinter universe that continues to exist even after the simulation ends. Which makes the happy ending pretty terrifying since it came at the expense of countless alternate universes where the bombs went off and/or he died horribly, and in the end his original self is still hooked up to the machine and the whole fiasco will repeat itself every time a threat big enough to warrant using the Source Code comes along.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

weekly font posted:

And THAT is why nobody told you.

touché

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I really didn't like it. Terrible pacing and that final act that comes out of nowhere, and I didn't even think the choreography was particularly interesting or creative, especially for a Yuen Woo-ping movie. Truly horrid use of CGI as well.

Yeah, I posted that before the silly poo poo on the mountain. I enjoyed it enough, but everything you said is true.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Netflix has been recommending me Butter for months and I've always been like "...no thanks" but holy poo poo was that a mistake, it's an amazing hilarious film. It's kind of like a bigger scale Christopher Guest movie, and Ty Burrell is absolutely wonderful. Apparently it got largely negative reviews which confuses the hell out of me.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's less a time machine and more every time the Source Code is activated it creates a splinter universe that continues to exist even after the simulation ends. Which makes the happy ending pretty terrifying since it came at the expense of countless alternate universes where the bombs went off and/or he died horribly, and in the end his original self is still hooked up to the machine and the whole fiasco will repeat itself every time a threat big enough to warrant using the Source Code comes along.

There's also the whole fact that he completely stole that poor bastard's life.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

An Officer And A Gentleman is back up. Worth it for Lou Gossett Jr.'s performance alone as the Marine Drill Instructor in charge of the officer candidates, one of the truly great roles where hamming it up and chewing all scenery doesn't detract from the role one bit, in fact the nature of the role pretty much demands it.

If you've never seen it I think it's well worth a watch, both because it's a really good film in my opinion, and you will "get" a lot of cultural references that sprang from it ("I GOT NOWHERE ELSE TO GO", the scene at the end of that Simpsons episode where Homer carries Marge out of the nuclear plant etc.) A bit chick flicky but not too much at all and plenty of boot camp drama to make sure it doesn't get overwhelmed by the romance aspect.

For me it doesn't have a dated "80's movie" feel at all compared to other films of the time (early 80's).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Party Plane Jones posted:

Which will probably result in a lot of bullshit once that guy's family tries to talk to him, or the love interest realizes he acts completely different, or he forgets who he's pretending to be and talks to someone from his previous life as if he's himself, or he realizes the life he stole isn't what he wants. There are a lot of issues.

You know, if they made a sequel that explored all those issues and made it where he tried to break in an use the Source Code to get a new life, that'd be fun. Maybe he would create his own terrorist attack to be able to use it, or something. (That would probably be full of plot-holes.)

I know it's better as a stand-alone story, but I'd totally watch a sequel.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Monkeyseesaw posted:

Speaking of this, until recently, I didn't know that the actor who played Will Hayward (Donna's dad/the town's doctor) and the actress who played Sarah Palmer (Laura's mom) ended up playing Susan Ross's parents on Seinfeld. I should've picked up on that right away since I've seen every episode of Seinfeld many times.

Even though I'm 22 or 23 years late with saying this, I really wish Twin Peaks got a third season. The way it ends is loving insane and I would love to see it get resolved (I know Fire Walk With Me is supposed to tie up some lose ends, but that's not on Netflix AFAIK). :smith:

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Fire Walk With Me gives you some resolution, but it may not be the resolution you're hoping for. It's great regardless though. I say give it some time and watch it on it's own terms divorced from the series finale. Sadly it was the first part of a planned trilogy that would have given us more info about what happens to Coop after the finale but when it bombed at the box office the sequels were canned.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

precision posted:

It's kind of like a bigger scale Christopher Guest movie

And now I've got to watch this. The poster makes the movie look so unappealing, I've passed it by numerous times even though Netflix keeps repeatedly recommending it.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I just watched Bunraku. I'm not entirely sure what to make of it, but it had a truly staggering amount of style.

Bunraku is so stylish you'll almost be able to forgive the mediocre story. It's a live action comic book, if you haven't seen it check it out.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Party Plane Jones posted:

There's a QA with the director and that's the main take away of the ending. He's a hero sure, but also a murderer as he "killed" teh teacher. He also stated it was a parallel-universe situation set-up like how ...of SCIENCE! explained.

All in all though, I'd have preferred if the movie ended on the kiss making the viewer wonder if he managed to get out or not, so we get presented with does he actually get out, or is he kind of stuck in SC unless he's killed in the main universe. Or does he get out, and just sort of take over someone else (and then we're faced with ...of SCIENCE!'s situation as well). More interesting to me, but perhaps the second message might be a bit too deep for most movie goers. I dunno, I just really like good open-ended movie endings (like Inception).

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

Obeast posted:

Speaking of this, until recently, I didn't know that the actor who played Will Hayward (Donna's dad/the town's doctor) and the actress who played Sarah Palmer (Laura's mom) ended up playing Susan Ross's parents on Seinfeld. I should've picked up on that right away since I've seen every episode of Seinfeld many times.

Well now I've just noticed it too.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Sue Ellen Mischke, Mr. Pitt, Marble Rye Lady, and I think a few others were also Seinfeld/Twin Peaks alums.

But then again, all TV actors are St. Elsewhere alums....

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Sue Ellen Mischke, Mr. Pitt, Marble Rye Lady, and I think a few others were also Seinfeld/Twin Peaks alums.

But then again, all TV actors are St. Elsewhere alums....
Thank you for reminding me of Mr. Pitt and Marble Rye Lady (I forgot about them since they were only on one episode each), but I didn't realize until you mentioned it that the actress who played Sue Ellen Mischke was on Twin Peaks as well.

Between Twin Peaks, Seinfeld, Portlandia (which Kyle MacLachlan plays the mayor on and is absolutely awesome at it), and Breaking Bad, I think it's pretty neat seeing a lot of the same actors playing totally different roles sometimes spanning over two decades. :)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Someone's forgetting Bubble Boy!

But I was going to make almost this same post yesterday, name-dropping October Sky, too. All joking about Bubble Boy aside, I absolutely agree with you.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'm not sure if Twin Peaks was given a proper timeline for an ending that Lynch would have given us one anyway.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

weekly font posted:

I'm not sure if Twin Peaks was given a proper timeline for an ending that Lynch would have given us one anyway.

The original idea was to never even solve the murder of Laura Palmer, or at least nowhere near as early as it was. But the network forced them.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
The only thing I didn't like about Twin Peaks was that every episode felt like a 2 hour episode. I loved the world and characters but holy shot it was slowwwwwwww

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Inudeku posted:

The only thing I didn't like about Twin Peaks was that every episode felt like a 2 hour episode. I loved the world and characters but holy shot it was slowwwwwwww

I hear that. I'm just going through it for the first time, and the first three episodes are basically hour-long still shots of Laura's parents freaking out and bawling awkwardly

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Agreed if there's anything that would've made Twin Peaks better it would be quick cuts and shaky-cam.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Revener posted:

Bunraku is so stylish you'll almost be able to forgive the mediocre story. It's a live action comic book, if you haven't seen it check it out.

The operative word here is almost. Bunraku is painful to watch, and all the more so because it has so much promise.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
They just put Side Effects up, I really recommend it. It definitely becomes a very different movie in the second half, but I for one still thoroughly enjoyed it. Jude Law and Rooney Mara both give great performances.

Also it's GORGEOUS.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

GonSmithe posted:

They just put Side Effects up, I really recommend it. It definitely becomes a very different movie in the second half, but I for one still thoroughly enjoyed it. Jude Law and Rooney Mara both give great performances.

Also it's GORGEOUS.

Yup, Side Effects is brilliant. I've been hugely disappointed with Soderbergh's output in the last 10 years or so so I really had low expectations for Side Effects.
It's basically a modern film noir with amazing digital cinematography and performances.
It's ever so slow to start but once it gets going, it's incredible.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Breakfast All Day posted:

Agreed if there's anything that would've made Twin Peaks better it would be quick cuts and shaky-cam.

Your hyperbole is noted, but I maintain my opinion. The first few episodes were a challenge; while they set the tone very well, they still focused too much on the bereaved parents. I understand that we're meant to see their grief, but it was just too much. I physically felt uncomfortable watching them and nearly gave up on the show right then. Luckily they get more or less ignored soon after, and the show starts getting awesome. And then when the dad jumps onto Lauras coffin as it's descending into the grave, my wife and I just burst out laughing... But I think we were supposed to find that funny? :shrug: I don't know. It's just so over the top, but I can't get enough.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
For all intents and purposes, the pilot of Twin Peaks is a movie. And yes, the show is a soap opera with (ostensibly) a murder mystery as its core plot.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yup, Side Effects is brilliant. I've been hugely disappointed with Soderbergh's output in the last 10 years or so so I really had low expectations for Side Effects.
It's basically a modern film noir with amazing digital cinematography and performances.
It's ever so slow to start but once it gets going, it's incredible.

Conversely, I've loved Soderbergh's recent output and found Side Effects to be a pretty huge letdown, especially coming off the hot-poo poo twofer of Haywire and Magic Mike. The movie it's pretending to be in the first half is just so much more interesting than the movie it reveals itself to be in the second half.

Definitely gorgeously shot though, I'll give it that (though that's kind of a gimme with Soderbergh).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I would have enjoyed Side Effects a hell of a lot more if the movie had made it totally ambiguous whether or not Emily was a scheming murderer or just a victim of Dr. Banks, and then ended there. I'd still recommend it as being pretty entertaining.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Side Effects is a well-made movie but jesus its politics are terrible.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Side Effects is a well-made movie but jesus its politics are terrible.

In what way? I've seen Side Effects twice and didn't detect any sort of political agenda, aside from some mild swipes at the American pharmaceutical industry.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Speaking of Twin Peaks all ya'll go watch Top of the Lake. It's Twin Peaks meets Winter's Bone.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Hey.

Hey.

Guess what's on Netflix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_qI9fu8sZQ

If you haven't seen Zoolander you should really do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Zoolander is incredibly dumb and also sort of a masterpiece. It's definitely worth a look.

• Locked thread