Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

MrChips posted:

In all honesty, the 911 vs. Corvette debate has been closer than it ever has been, and that can only be considered a good thing.

I really don't think it's that close at all. Porsche has to roll out the S version with the PDK to even have a chance in the competition, and that just magnifies the massive price discrepancy between the two cars.

That said, I love this brave new world we live in where a 911 wins in the quarter mile and a Corvette wins around the track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012
IF I CONTINUE TO WHINE ABOUT THE PROBATIONS I RECEIVE, REPORT THIS POST SO THAT I CAN BE PROBATED AGAIN

Bajaha posted:

Local dealership has this on the lot for $72,000, 2013 1500 Cargo Van 5.3 v8 4spd. Every time I drive by it makes me think the 80's Van craze is trying to make a comeback. Honestly, I kind of like it, it's got a weird presence when you see it in person.

Photo is from the dealers page for it, you'd think they'd take better pictures of it.

I grew up thinking conversion vans were too hideous to be redeemed by their other qualities, but honestly, that body style of GM van looks pretty drat good in conversion trim with the right wheels and they are seriously cool on the inside. Add to that the goodness of LS reliability and power and it means that conversion vans at some point actually stopped sucking.

The one thing they've always lacked is a 3.0-4.0L diesel for cruise efficiency. If i thought i could get 24+ mpg hwy traveling in one of those bad boys i might already own one. I for one am very glad about the Sprinter based conversions because i think they dragged mpg expectations up for those types of vehicles.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Vigo327 posted:

I grew up thinking conversion vans were too hideous to be redeemed by their other qualities, but honestly, that body style of GM van looks pretty drat good in conversion trim with the right wheels and they are seriously cool on the inside. Add to that the goodness of LS reliability and power and it means that conversion vans at some point actually stopped sucking.

The one thing they've always lacked is a 3.0-4.0L diesel for cruise efficiency. If i thought i could get 24+ mpg hwy traveling in one of those bad boys i might already own one. I for one am very glad about the Sprinter based conversions because i think they dragged mpg expectations up for those types of vehicles.

You can get a detuned 6.6 duramax in the 3/4 ton, of course at that point you lose the AWD but gain a whole lot more space. I got 22-23mpg in mine, loaded, and it was still rated at i think 265hp.

edit: and that was an 06, with the 4 speed auto. I have no doubt that a newer one with the 6 speed could do 25mpg.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 13, 2013

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

No level folding seats and now with less interior room than the last gen. Towing is still less than the Expedition and about on par with the Armada. These things start out really cheap right?

My dad and a bunch of his buddies all haul a lot of people and stuff; all were due for new trucks and none of them bought a GMT900 because of the seat thing.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Why can't GM just use the same exact front as the pickup trucks like they used to? Those new things are awful, but basically make a 2012 version one to buy in a few years as a camper/Home Depot hauler.

I also don't understand why they don't modernize the goddamn stoner van and offer a cool camper version for $35k instead of that obnoxious thing that might as well have 24" dubbz on it along with its 30 y/o architecture.

Here's some cool campers:

http://www.sportsmobile.com/z-PO_calif.html

Also: 911 vs. Vette is a weird comparison - they just seem so different target market wise, where the Vette is a violent faceripping beast and the 911 is more Marin county/Malibu highway cruiser. I would rather own a 5 year old 911 though, regardless of the potential apocalyptic bloodbath of costs.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 13, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Vigo327 posted:

The new Ram Promaster is going to be a Sprinter with a 3.0l I4 diesel.

The only transmission available with the diesel is going to be a FIAT single clutch SMG type box.

http://www.allpar.com/trucks/ram/ProMaster.html

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The Promaster is some Fiat quasi-unibody FWD platform, not a Sprinter. Low rear floor, good fuel economy.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Snowdens Secret posted:

The Promaster is some Fiat quasi-unibody FWD platform, not a Sprinter. Low rear floor, good fuel economy.

Yes this sure is a unibody.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

That's the quasi part, they're calling it unibody with a reinforced floor or something like that, not me

E: "unibody frame architecture"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I actually saw a nissan NV200 cargo van yesterday, its a decent looking little buggy. Would probably make an awesome little motorhome. It's surprising there is suddenly so much competition in the van market. It's gone from the E-series ruling over all the land in 2011 to 5 small cargo vans and 6 large cargo vans on the market.

Out of all of them though, i think i would still take the 3.5 ecoboost transit. Slap a livernois tune on and go humiliate some civics at the drag strip.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 14, 2013

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Throatwarbler posted:

Its unrelated to the Sprinter though - its the PSA/FIAT large van platform.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I was going to post this in stupid questions, but since the news thread is a pseudo-industry thread, I thought I might get a better answer here. My wife asked me how much it costs a manufacturer to make a volume compact in relation to its retail price. Obviously the answer would be different for different kinds of cars, so just keeping the question to the Civics and Corollas and maybe Focii and Darts and Cruzes of the world. I have no idea, but I'm guessing the margins are pretty slim.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

dissss posted:

Its unrelated to the Sprinter though - its the PSA/FIAT large van platform.

My dad drives the Peugeot version of this as a work van. Loads of space in the cabin, loads of storage compartments, clipboard built into the dash, decent ergonomics. It drives pretty good too, and he's only got a 2.2l 120hp diesel in there.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

blk posted:

I was going to post this in stupid questions, but since the news thread is a pseudo-industry thread, I thought I might get a better answer here. My wife asked me how much it costs a manufacturer to make a volume compact in relation to its retail price. Obviously the answer would be different for different kinds of cars, so just keeping the question to the Civics and Corollas and maybe Focii and Darts and Cruzes of the world. I have no idea, but I'm guessing the margins are pretty slim.

I know that in Canada, GM lost on average about $1000 on every twin-airbag Cavalier they built from MY97-03. The margins are razor thin.

Probably putting all this new fancy crap (sync, etc) in cars is a way of raising those margins.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

blk posted:

This information is massively out of date but around 2002 Honda made about 1300 bucks per base Civic off the line. That said by 2008 Honda had so much inventory and was losing so much money per car they idea lines 2 days a week.

As far as my knowledge goes they either make less then 1500 per car or they lose money.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I've heard an analyst estimate for the variable margin on Ford trucks to be about $8000-10000, compared to an average pretax profit (in NA) of $2500 for all cars and trucks. So yeah those numbers sound about right.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They have to make most of their profit on those cars off parts. a car with a $15,000 sticker has $90,000 retail worth of parts on it.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
On a base manual Kia soul or rio its maybe $1k in dealer profit if sold at sticker.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
There's around 600 bucks or so in profit on a Mazda 3 at sticker

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Nodoze posted:

There's around 600 bucks or so in profit on a Mazda 3 at sticker

between sticker and invoice or total dealer profit?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

kill me now posted:

between sticker and invoice or total dealer profit?

Between Invoice and sticker

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nodoze posted:

Between Invoice and sticker

Invoice isn't really invoice anymore though, right? Don't dealers get holdback, dealer-only incentives, and spiffs still?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Yes they do, gotta have something to keep the lights on when every douchebag through the door expects to be a few hundred under invoice for some stupid reason.

and for reference there is $200 between sticker and invoice on a manual soul or rio for Kia

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

kill me now posted:

Yes they do, gotta have something to keep the lights on when every douchebag through the door expects to be a few hundred under invoice for some stupid reason.

Don't they do this by flat out raping most people on their trade in?

I really do hate negotiating on the prices of things though. Everyone just needs to go to no haggle prices like Scion and be done with it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

fknlo posted:

I really do hate negotiating on the prices of things though. Everyone just needs to go to no haggle prices like Scion and be done with it.

So they can be even more aggressive about raping you on the trade-in?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I think just single price haggling would be fine. Rather than breaking it into a thousand components and turning the whole processing into an ordeal as the salesman tries to methodically pull one over on you at every turn.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The problem is that the single-price no-haggle thing hasn't proven to be a massive sales success. Saturn tried it for a long time, and at least in the early days you couldn't blame the product for the lack of sales. Now, when the S-series was pushing a decade, that's a whole different scenario.

Scion has been doing it for a long time as well but they haven't exactly been rocketing up the sales charts, and likewise I don't think you can blame the product.

For all the bitching about how horrifyingly bad the dealer sales process is at most dealerships (and it is loving awful; I should not have an $8000 swing in price from when I walk into a dealership to when I spend five loving minutes on the internet and Truecar for that exact car at that exact dealership), people still buy cars.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

fknlo posted:

If by raping your mean being in line with wholesale prices and having a small buffer to ensure that we dont lose money taking in a shitheap unmaintained 100k mi trade in vehicle. No matter how good of an offer we give them most customers are going to think we're lowballing them and are going to expect us to come way up on their trade while coming way down on our price. If we dont plan for that by actually having somewhere to go then they're just going to leave in a huff about how we wouldn't give them a fair price for either.

The car sales industry if farily hosed up when it comes down to negotiating price and both the sellers and buyers are to blame for it.

If you want no haggle pricing then sell your previous vehicle on craigslist or a forum and pay the sticker price of the vehicle and be happy. That's no haggle pricing (just like every other consumer item you buy).

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

How did it even become accepted practice to be able to negotiate on car prices anyway? I can't walk into the dentist and be like "yeah you are going to have to do better here or I'm out"

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nodoze posted:

How did it even become accepted practice to be able to negotiate on car prices anyway? I can't walk into the dentist and be like "yeah you are going to have to do better here or I'm out"

But in the large scale, negotiation is a huge part of how healthcare costs are set. I think negotitation is inevitable while there is the dealer model. If we did away with dealers and new cars were sold directly by manufacturers, THEN no-haggle could take off and be sucessful. There are 8 Ford dealers in the city I live in, and that means that I ended up getting the best deal from a "no-haggle" dealer whose internet sales manager gave me the lowest price in response to a mass email.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Nodoze posted:

Actually you can, maybe not for real basic stuff but certainly for big work. Most people don't bother because insurance does this behind the scenes (for better or worse) leaving them with just the co-pay.

You can negotiate on prices for drat near everything that you're not buying from the grocery store (and you can negotiate on groceries if you go to a farmers' market.) Doesn't mean it's always worth your while.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Nodoze posted:

Yes you can, in the US at least

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Nodoze posted:

I think it has been this way since the birth of the automobile; as far as I know, Ford has used dealerships since their inception and would basically force inventory on them. I imagine negotiation was a factor in every purchase during the early twentieth century. I agree that it is pretty antiquated at this point. I'd much prefer to have a system that provides real-time price quotes for cars where you can purchase, secure financing, and fill out all of the paperwork online in a night, then you could just swing by the dealership afterwards and they would have your car ready and waiting.

However, like Snowdens Secret said, you can haggle for pretty much anything. I've gotten discounts on clothes, shoes, and car parts on top of the usual big ticket items by basically asking. Most retail stores give their employees a little bit of leeway in terms of pricing as long as you can justify the discount.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Aren't there laws to prevent dealers from ripping you off when you trade in a car? I ask because a guy I know got $1500 in trade and the dealer listed the car for sale at $8000.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Rhyno posted:

Aren't there laws to prevent dealers from ripping you off when you trade in a car? I ask because a guy I know got $1500 in trade and the dealer listed the car for sale at $8000.

They listed the car for $8000 then probably ended up having to sell it for $6500 unless the guy you know AND the buyer were pushovers. But like i said earlier dealers will come in below what they would really pay for because most customers aren't going to accept the first offer even if its a good offer.

So lets say they came in $1500 under what the car is worth if they wanted to wholesale it. They let the customer negotiate up to that amount and take it in for an acv of $3000. Now they have to run it through the shop to make it sellable which probably ends up costing them a few hundred to a thousand bucks. Lets say it cost $500 to make it properly roadworthy and able to pass inspection now we're at $3500. Now if they list it for $8000 and it rolls for $6500 they've made $3000 on the car but now have to pay the salesman his commission for it which in most places would be $600 (20% of the gross profit) and another $150 to the sales manager and $150 to the finance manager for a total of $900 in commissions now they've made $2100 on the car. Thats a good car for the dealership but nothing crazy.

That guy probably could have gotten more for his trade but that spread isn't too crazy.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

What do you do if close down your racing team, but you still have a dedicated team of race car engineers on the payroll, and another year's worth of sponsorship money from a huge oil company?

You set them to work applying race car technology to one of your road cars, in order to make it as efficient as possible, of course.

They started with a base 68bhp 1.0L Peugeot 208, with the goal of halving its fuel consumption without compromising interior space or handling. They made it more aerodynamic, fitted a hybrid system, used carbon fiber parts wherever possible, replaced metal suspension parts with fiberglass, replaced all the glass with polycarbonate, significantly modified the engine (16:1 compression ratio, special low-friction carbon coating on moving parts etc.) and a whole lot of other tweaks. The only real loss was the aircon, for weight saving and efficiency.

The end result is that the car went from 53mpg to 122mpg (22km/l to 52km/l) while the 0-100km/h time went from 14 seconds to 8 seconds.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/frankfurt-motor-show/frankfurt-motor-show-2013-peugeot-208-hybrid-fe

I know they can't put it into production like that, but there are some good leassons to be learned on how to increase efficiency for cars we can actually buy.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So if he could have sold the car for $8k why didn't he?

Do you also get upset that Starbucks has the nerve to sell 2c worth of coffee for $3.50?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kill me now posted:

That guy probably could have gotten more for his trade but that spread isn't too crazy.

This is why I almost feel bad for the string of dealers that was trying to sell my MS3 but apparently finally did. It got turfed at least twice and last I saw was for sale for only about $3k over what I got in trade, and they at least replaced the rocker panel that had a nice big gouge in it. If they resolved all of the issues that car had, even in parts cost alone they'd be eating up a lot of that $3k.

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012
IF I CONTINUE TO WHINE ABOUT THE PROBATIONS I RECEIVE, REPORT THIS POST SO THAT I CAN BE PROBATED AGAIN

Nodoze posted:

Most ironic post ever. How did NOT drinking the koolaid even become a thing? :iiam:

As far as car news, i am curious how lovely the new Mirage will be. I actually went to a mitsu dealer to pick up a part for something and was looking for one, but i suppose they havent arrived yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Throatwarbler posted:

So if he could have sold the car for $8k why didn't he?

Do you also get upset that Starbucks has the nerve to sell 2c worth of coffee for $3.50?

$.02 of coffee, a $.17 cup and $1.25 in employee/location costs is probably closer to how it works.