Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

found asimov's caves of steel at a used book dump the other day. so far its p bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

also, as ridiculous as sending half the bridge crew on away missions is, and as popular as DS9 is among the kids who are too cool for school, it's even more absurd that when they need to send the Defiant on missions they wind up just taking the entire space station command staff to drive the ship

we're even going to take the bajoran officer along because some bullshit about keeping the liaison in the loop gently caress it her name's in the opening credits

yeah that was always dumb. atleast later on when sisko was running the war he got stuck behind a desk

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
im the crew members who wish they'd stayed back on the station during Meridian.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
yeah like 90% of trek that doesn't make sense is because it makes for cheaper tv

transporter exists because showing shuttles took too much time and special effects budget

bridge crew goes on super-dangerous away missions because i guess they paid shatner by episode instead of by the minute? also because they just didn't have that much rew

just repeat to yourself "it's just a show, i should really just relax"

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i agree with these posts

it's e.t. but 25 years later with jj abrams

i enjoyed it

yeah its p much ET plus Goonies, its p fun

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
in tng don't they explicitly say that starfleet made a new regulation forbidding the captain from going on away mission specifically because kirk would constantly do it and get in trouble

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yes in the very first episode and then they ignore it for the rest of the series

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
the thing with away missions is that starfleet is not supposed to be a military organization; they're a peaceful scientific one (you know, in theory, at least), so high-ranking officers beaming down to the surface of the planet is less like a general deciding to take a stroll through hostile territory and more like a ship's captain during the age of exploration going ashore with the ship naturalist to look at insects

they just should have pushed the "yeah, we're supposed to be doing science, and we really really dislike being put into military situations" thing way more but welp gotta have conflict in order to get people to watch your show so que sera sera

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if its a first contact situation sending picard makes all the sense in the world cause that's why hes there. otherwise send any of the hundred expendables from science and medical.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

they were pretty good about not sending picard on away missions, like even in the later seasons when he got his willis itch they would have riker be uncomfortable with it

of course the sisko did whatever the gently caress he wanted but he wasn't a fed celebrity until later seasons so maybe they didn't gaf

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cocoa Crispies posted:

bridge crew goes on super-dangerous away missions because i guess they paid shatner by episode instead of by the minute?

that's pretty standard really.

actually i think if your name appears in the credits *at all*, guild rules state you have to get paid no matter how much or how little you appear.

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
sup

barclay's transporter worm puppet

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
what if the tng crew was in prometheus? i bet riker would find the one engineer with boobs

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
didn't robert picardo have something in his contract that stipulated he had to appear in every voyager episode?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Carthag posted:

found asimov's caves of steel at a used book dump the other day. so far its p bad

foundation trilogy was awful.

whoever was asking about rajaniemi, i'm not sure where the series is going but it's okay, decently written but too much sperging over equipment and tech stuff. theres even a lan party in one chapter

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
foundation was good and there was atleast one other good book in the series.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Shaggar posted:

yeah shaggar was right, second foundation was p good iirc

but what makes them great is that the books were written so far apart that you can see asimov go 'oh computers are a thing i should probably include them!' this also happens in dune but instead of including them herbert goes 'oh well they weren't needed because we went to war with the machines'

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

hubris.height posted:

yeah shaggar was right, second foundation was p good iirc

but what makes them great is that the books were written so far apart that you can see asimov go 'oh computers are a thing i should probably include them!' this also happens in dune but instead of including them herbert goes 'oh well they weren't needed because we went to war with the machines'

"i hope my son doesn't write terrible prequel novels to my books about this"

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Stymie posted:

didn't robert picardo have something in his contract that stipulated he had to appear in every voyager episode?

not at first, i dont think they knew how popular he was going to be

full disclosure i genuinely enjoy the doctor from voyager and enjoy episodes that prominently feature him

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
foundation was originally a stand-alone book, basically set up as a bunch of connected short stories. Asimov decided to do the sequels after the first book became popular, but the story wasn't originally designed for it. that's why the style changes completely between the first two books and slowly goes off the rails as the series progresses.

hubris.height posted:

...this also happens in dune but instead of including them herbert goes 'oh well they weren't needed because we went to war with the machines'

that's probably better than what happens when he does decide to write about them, see destination: void and its sequel.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 18, 2013

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
foundation (the first 3 books anyway) was originally originally a set of short stories published serially in a magazine, but they became longer and more grandiose as asimov evolved the concept and as a writer

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

not at first, i dont think they knew how popular he was going to be

full disclosure i genuinely enjoy the doctor from voyager and enjoy episodes that prominently feature him

That's because Picardo owns and even though his character on SG Atlantis was a pencil pushing bureaucrat he still made you like him.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

haveblue posted:

foundation (the first 3 books anyway) was originally originally a set of short stories published serially in a magazine, but they became longer and more grandiose as asimov evolved the concept and as a writer

lots of early sf did this, it was common well into the 60s. still happens occassionally.

Shaggar posted:

why? (seriously). I'm only talking about the original trilogy here, not read the others, but i remember psychohistory being a cool idea and some of the logic-puzzle early stories were good of their type. but the characters were bland as gently caress and the world was just like the 50s, i even remember the girl sulking in her room or something. would seriously only recommend to sf nerds for historical importance. was there something cool involving the mule? can't remember that book at all.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

House Louse posted:

lots of early sf did this, it was common well into the 60s. still happens occassionally.

why? (seriously). I'm only talking about the original trilogy here, not read the others, but i remember psychohistory being a cool idea and some of the logic-puzzle early stories were good of their type. but the characters were bland as gently caress and the world was just like the 50s, i even remember the girl sulking in her room or something. would seriously only recommend to sf nerds for historical importance. was there something cool involving the mule? can't remember that book at all.

V.5 (just outside the Vesuvius gate); 6641: Defecator, may everything turn out okay so that you can leave this place

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

House Louse posted:

it doesn't magically become bad because it's a product of its time.

paper thin characterization is still the norm in scifi. everything written today is 2005 forever just like asimov's 1940s novels were 1940 forever. that's just the way this poo poo works

is the wizard of oz terrible because of its circa-1939 special effects

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
writing a novel where everything was different and speculative would be really boring anyway

it would be hard to relate to what was going on

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
as an example of your point, i feel like neuromancer really did this 'different and speculative' thing really well because everything but the drugs was put into that context, but its also a somewhat confusing read at first. p sure gibson was on meth when he wrote the first half.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

everything written today is 2005 forever just like asimov's 1940s novels were 1940 forever. that's just the way this poo poo works

counterpoint: Childhood's End. This book has aged the best out of any scifi book I've ever read.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 18, 2013

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

asimov's characterisation and futurology/worldbuilding/w/e are terrible by the standard of sf tho, even 50s sf. even if an sf world isn't totally logical extrapolation it can still be interesting and make comments on real life, eg forever war, snow crash

wizard of oz film is bad because of the script, not fx

hubris.height posted:

V.5 (just outside the Vesuvius gate); 6641: Defecator, may everything turn out okay so that you can leave this place

idgi

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

House Louse posted:

I've always liked asamov's style. the characters aren't really important in most of his stuff, its all about the ideas and the universe and they're just the vehicle for the reader's exploration. plus in foundation he burns through piles of them cause he jumps around in time so the characters are even less important.

i guess i could understand how someone might not like that, but on the other hand i hate character studies in universes that make no sense (BSG).

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

infernal machines posted:

foundation was originally a stand-alone book, basically set up as a bunch of connected short stories. Asimov decided to do the sequels after the first book became popular, but the story wasn't originally designed for it. that's why the style changes completely between the first two books and slowly goes off the rails as the series progresses.

that's probably better than what happens when he does decide to write about them, see destination: void and its sequel.

destination void was hard to read

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hubris.height posted:

as an example of your point, i feel like neuromancer really did this 'different and speculative' thing really well because everything but the drugs was put into that context, but its also a somewhat confusing read at first. p sure gibson was on meth when he wrote the first half.

necromancer was 1987 forever

payphones are pivotal to the plot

everyone wears members only jackets

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

neuromancer has the us balkanisd and the soviet union still around

Shaggar posted:

I've always liked asamov's style. the characters aren't really important in most of his stuff, its all about the ideas and the universe and they're just the vehicle for the reader's exploration. plus in foundation he burns through piles of them cause he jumps around in time so the characters are even less important.

i guess i could understand how someone might not like that, but on the other hand i hate character studies in universes that make no sense (BSG).

i don't remember foundation really doing this. it used psychohistory/the seldon plan as a backdrop rather than really digging into it. the mule was an obstacle to the seldon plan but he could just have been an obstacle anyway; there weren't plots about spies in 2nd foundation trying to screw the plan up so some other guys could rule the galactic empire instead.

this is all iirc, it's been a while since i read them.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

House Louse posted:

neuromancer has the us balkanisd and the soviet union still around

operation screaming fist owned bones

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
stand on zanzibar aged pretty well for an older sci-fi novel

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

House Louse posted:

foundation trilogy was awful.
get hosed.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

transporter-pooping

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

lol transporters would be so fuckin good just to be abke to pos all the time cause you could trsnaport food and drink into your mouth and piss and poo poo out very ftw

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
but what if your finger slipped and you beamed your guts into outer space during a pie eating contest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

Gus Hobbleton posted:

but what if your finger slipped and you beamed your guts into outer space during a pie eating contest?

would the pies remain inside of you? that would work before dr crusher could heal you with yoga

• Locked thread