Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

:lol: http://canada.ca/morechoices

Who will win the race to be the most shameless profiteer in this sham of a wireless auction? Tune in later to find out!

Ironically, I first saw the ad for that site on a weather app on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Alright I have some stupid questions but my entire cellphone experience has been "buy dumbphone from Rogers, have a talk&text plan for the last 5 years".
Anyway, I have some Nokia dumbphone, and a plan that gives me 1000 weekday minutes, unlimited weekend minutes, and unlimited texting for $40 from Rogers. My contract expires in November. However, I was just given an iPhone 4S, which has a Telus sim card in it (but currently does not have any service).

So what would the best thing to do here be? Unlock the iPhone, start a new contract and continue using Rogers after November? Or finish out my contract with Rogers with my dumbphone, then once that's over start up a new contract with Telus to use the iPhone? Do I keep the previous owner's phone number or can I keep using the phone number I have with Rogers? Or should I sell the iPhone, finish my contract with Rogers, and go with a third option?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

stratdax posted:

Alright I have some stupid questions but my entire cellphone experience has been "buy dumbphone from Rogers, have a talk&text plan for the last 5 years".
Anyway, I have some Nokia dumbphone, and a plan that gives me 1000 weekday minutes, unlimited weekend minutes, and unlimited texting for $40 from Rogers. My contract expires in November. However, I was just given an iPhone 4S, which has a Telus sim card in it (but currently does not have any service).

So what would the best thing to do here be? Unlock the iPhone, start a new contract and continue using Rogers after November? Or finish out my contract with Rogers with my dumbphone, then once that's over start up a new contract with Telus to use the iPhone? Do I keep the previous owner's phone number or can I keep using the phone number I have with Rogers? Or should I sell the iPhone, finish my contract with Rogers, and go with a third option?

1. Unlock iPhone (Telus will charge for this IIRC) carry on with Rogers. You are not required to sign a new contract with Rogers to do this. Adding data will add around $25-30 to your existing plan.

or 2. Finish with Rogers, switch to Telus. You can keep your Rogers phone number. You aren't required to sign a contract with Telus. You could pick up a plan lik e this for $55/month, which includes Canadian Long Distance.

With option 2, you could choose to sign a 2 year contract with Telus and get a free Nexus 4. You could then sell the Nexus or the iPhone for some extra cash.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

By November it might be a Nexus 5 for a small fee that you can probably sell for higher profit, no?

(Or it might just be better than the iPhone.)

Edit: Forgot how long Nexuses take to come to carriers and especially Canada.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

less than three posted:

1. Unlock iPhone (Telus will charge for this IIRC) carry on with Rogers. You are not required to sign a new contract with Rogers to do this. Adding data will add around $25-30 to your existing plan.

or 2. Finish with Rogers, switch to Telus. You can keep your Rogers phone number. You aren't required to sign a contract with Telus. You could pick up a plan lik e this for $55/month, which includes Canadian Long Distance.

With option 2, you could choose to sign a 2 year contract with Telus and get a free Nexus 4. You could then sell the Nexus or the iPhone for some extra cash.

Option 2.5: If you don't want a Nexus 4 or can't find one (they are approaching the end of its development cycle), you can switch your number to Telus and use your iPhone 4S with a month to month term and get 10% off any plan. You won't be locked into any contract and can cancel/port with no charge (and no 30 day notice in certain provinces, Nova Scotia, Ontario, can't remember the others)

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Oh sweet, looks like I have a few more (and better) options than I thought. Thanks guys, I'll think about what to do here. Probably just keep the iPhone and switch to Telus in November, for simplicity's sake.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

stratdax posted:

Oh sweet, looks like I have a few more (and better) options than I thought. Thanks guys, I'll think about what to do here. Probably just keep the iPhone and switch to Telus in November, for simplicity's sake.

That's the route I would have personally done given the options. That $55 plan ends up being $50 with the 10% discount.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Will an unlocked iphone 5s from Apple work on Rogers?

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

cowofwar posted:

Will an unlocked iphone 5s from Apple work on Rogers?

I don't see why not

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Don't iPhones work on all the networks now? I vaguely recall iPhone 4 on Virigin being the only one that was "unique".

mewse
May 2, 2006

From what I understand:

iPhone 4 was originally GSM and then had a separate CDMA model introduced later
iPhone 4S was universal
iPhone 5 had 3 different versions for the different LTE bands

quote:

Unlike the iPhone 4S, which was the only "world phone" produced by Apple, there are three versions of the iPhone 5, which differ by the frequency used.

I don't know what this means for the 5C/5S but when you pick up one at the apple store they'll be able to confirm it works with your carrier. There shouldn't be any problem with Rogers because they have carried iPhones basically since the beginning

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
Motherfuckers, I went to the Telus website to see what their availability for the 5s was and if I upgrade, I also have to go from a $55/month plan to a $75/month plan...and I don't need or want any of the add-ons that would bring me up to $75/month with my current plan. Assholes!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Bamabalacha posted:

Motherfuckers, I went to the Telus website to see what their availability for the 5s was and if I upgrade, I also have to go from a $55/month plan to a $75/month plan...and I don't need or want any of the add-ons that would bring me up to $75/month with my current plan. Assholes!

So over a three year contract that'd cost you an extra $720 dollars. It's like getting $80 whole dollars off an iPhone 5s, such a deal!

Oh wait, I forgot to factor in the own phone discount once you get off contract.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

BGrifter posted:

So over a three year contract that'd cost you an extra $720 dollars. It's like getting $80 whole dollars off an iPhone 5s, such a deal!

Oh wait, I forgot to factor in the own phone discount once you get off contract.
I'm getting an unlocked 5s either way, and my contract isn't up for another year, but is there actually any money to be saved these days with Bell Mobility by "bringing your own" unlocked phone once you're off-contract? I've heard that Bell will give you 10% off your monthly plan when you do so in the past but can't find anything current.

For reference, I currently have a Fab 10 Promo 65 plan that I got last year. 1GB of data with 200 anytime local minutes, unlimited nights/weekends starting at 6PM, unlimited minutes to/from 10 Canadian numbers while in Canada, unlimited Canadian SMS/MMS, and Call ID/Message Centre for $65/month. LTE enabled, luckily. Since the 2 year contract thing started a few months back, plans have gotten way more expensive and I get the feeling I'll never really be in a position to move off this one. I'd take 10% off of $65/month, gladly, but am certainly not holding out any hope for what the case is a year from now.

Next year I'd be open to switching to another carrier that uses the Bell/Telus network (I need the coverage for travelling) but I really don't know if there's any better options in the Maritimes. Just in case anyone has any experience/input, I guess.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Looks like I was wrong about a couple of things: First, it's just a regular 4, not a 4S, and second, it's with Bell, not Telus. Oh well, I guess that doesn't change too much, because it looks like Bell has the exact same options that Telus does, right down to calling it a "Lite" plan.

The only problem is that the phone was water damaged (which is why it was given to me) and there's some problems with the phone that I'll look into getting repaired.

Bamabalacha posted:

I went into a Telus store yesterday and they told me the same thing (along with any of the other nifty smartphones). Although if you can live with a 5C, I believe the minimum plan is about $50 or something.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Public service announcement: if a carrier asks you to pay an additional $20 * 24 months + $229 or whatever base price, that's basically the exact price of an unlocked iPhone. Unbundle your phone and service... you get a better device (i.e. unlocked) and the ability to jockey around carriers when your current one pisses you off.

If you don't have $800 lying around to do this, I'd question the wisdom of having an iPhone in the first place.

That is all.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Lexicon posted:

Public service announcement: if a carrier asks you to pay an additional $20 * 24 months + $229 or whatever base price, that's basically the exact price of an unlocked iPhone. Unbundle your phone and service... you get a better device (i.e. unlocked) and the ability to jockey around carriers when your current one pisses you off.

If you don't have $800 lying around to do this, I'd question the wisdom of having an iPhone in the first place.

That is all.

I can afford the $800, but the wording on the Telus website makes it seem like if you want the 5s, you have to pay an extra $20/month, regardless of whether or not you bought the phone outright.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Bamabalacha posted:

I can afford the $800, but the wording on the Telus website makes it seem like if you want the 5s, you have to pay an extra $20/month, regardless of whether or not you bought the phone outright.

That is massively bullshit of a policy, if true. Can they even detect what device a SIM is running in?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I'd highly doubt it's true. If you're bringing your own device you can use any plan you want. The only reason they force people to sign up for the more expensive plans is so they can make the money back on the subsidy. I'm sure they don't mind the wording being confusing though.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Rogers gives you $20 if you bring your own device.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

cowofwar posted:

Rogers gives you $20 if you bring your own device.

Only on their top tier plans, and even after the discount they aren't that good.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Kenny Logins posted:

I'm getting an unlocked 5s either way, and my contract isn't up for another year, but is there actually any money to be saved these days with Bell Mobility by "bringing your own" unlocked phone once you're off-contract? I've heard that Bell will give you 10% off your monthly plan when you do so in the past but can't find anything current.

If you are on the current $30, $45, or $55 plan, it's 10% off. If it's a voice and data plus plan, it's $20 off. The $85 plan gives you 2GB of data, unlimited nationwide calling, texting, voice mail and caller ID for $65.

Bamabalacha posted:

I checked the website and it says 10% off any plan if you supply your own phone. If you supply the phone then you can pick any one, but it's not as good as $20 off the higher data plans with Bell or Rogers.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

OilSlick posted:

If you are on the current $30, $45, or $55 plan, it's 10% off. If it's a voice and data plus plan, it's $20 off. The $85 plan gives you 2GB of data, unlimited nationwide calling, texting, voice mail and caller ID for $65.
That's... actually decent, when you put it like that. Is there any online documentation on the latter or is that the inside scoop?

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Kenny Logins posted:

That's... actually decent, when you put it like that. Is there any online documentation on the latter or is that the inside scoop?

Dunno if it's online, but I can assure you it's real. Originally the plan was only for 1GB, but it has since doubled. Not sure how long they're gonna keep it like that. You can also get 6GB for $85 (regular $105) but whatever.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Man, you something is pretty hosed when plans are going backwards, not forwards.

I went on contract in January '12 and got unlimited texting, 100 min talk, 50 min long distance, voicemail, caller id, 6gb for $60

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

ante posted:

Man, you something is pretty hosed when plans are going backwards, not forwards.

I went on contract in January '12 and got unlimited texting, 100 min talk, 50 min long distance, voicemail, caller id, 6gb for $60

Yeah I don't know why they've gotten so stingy on data this year. Summer of 2012 everyone was offering 6gb data in $60 plans. Mine has 250 minutes, unlimited evenings, unlimited canada long distance, unlimited texting and the VM/CallerID stuff. Now you can get basically the same thing but you don't see anything over 1 or 2gb.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

ante posted:

They're punishing the public for having the gall to demand the end of some of the worst Uniquely Canadian telecom policies.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Squibbles posted:

Yeah I don't know why they've gotten so stingy on data this year.

Because they know that data is the *only* thing that matters from here on out, and that people care dramatically less about voice/sms with each passing year.

I'm certain they regret giving out 6GB deals so easily back in the day. Data = unicorn blood from now on.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So hey, a sad day has come. After myu askance three years ago about a good phone to get for myself, and the wonderful times me and my Desire Z have had. Sha has, between all the poo poo that happened last year including tree logs falling on it and myself and torrential rains of Vancouver, given up and died. Kinda wanted her to last until the Note 3 came to MTS, but that ain't gonna work. I'll put it out because overall you guys steered me right last time (I highly doubt most phones would have survived the tree tbh, I'm surprised it did) and request some knowledge.

Let's start off frank, Bell is rear end. It's the truest regret of mine that I had to go through them to get the wonderful phone I did. I'm not using them, gently caress them, end of story.

My current location is Winnipeg, I have a really nasty credit strike from last year requiring all carriers to want between 250-300 in deposits (long story, nothing illegal). I need data, shitloads of it, Bell charged me 700 as an overage once and I am not going to get into that situation again (1GB limit).

Really, because of this and the fact I can't pay 80+ bucks a month before taxes, it really looks like I'm shitkicked and stuck with MTS and the S4. Unless someone can give me a heads up I haven't found yet of good plans out here. Regardless, thanks for the help earlier all, she did fine and I'm happy with her services.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
If you're in Manitoba, go with Rogers. They've got regional plans with large buckets of data to compete with MTS and the same coverage as MTS.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Rogers used to offer a $55 plan with unlimited nation wide calling and 3GB data in Manitoba, not sure if it is still available.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

OilSlick posted:

Dunno if it's online, but I can assure you it's real. Originally the plan was only for 1GB, but it has since doubled. Not sure how long they're gonna keep it like that. You can also get 6GB for $85 (regular $105) but whatever.
I was able to find both the "$20 off Voice & Data Plus plans for bring your own device" promo as well as the $85 1GB+1GB plan. Thanks for point that out. It appears as though Bell, Telus and Rogers offer $20 off monthly plans for bringing your own device at the moment, where Koodo and Virgin are both 10% off.

They all also have identical unlimited voice plan offerings in the $85 range (before the unlocked discount) with 1GB+1GB data. Canadian "competition" :canada:

Hopefully those promos (or something like them) are still around in a year. My wife is on Rogers with a cheapo annoying grandfathered-in corporate promo plan but it looks like it would finally be worthwhile to bring her over to share data with me on Bell.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Rogers used to offer a $55 plan with unlimited nation wide calling and 3GB data in Manitoba, not sure if it is still available.

It's not, neither online nor in store. How's Virgin aside from being a subsidiary of they-who-shall-not-be-named? They have a 5GB and that unl nation calling for 65/mth They ALSO happen to have my phones little sister, the HTC One.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
So is it pretty much koodo or Virgin if you want an affordable iPhone plan in Alberta?

I walked by a Koodo kiosk yesterday and flipped through their little plan display and it looks like the plan ranges if you want an iphone are:

65: 500mb data, unlimited other poo poo (minutes, texts)
75: 1gb data, unlimited other poo poo
85: 3gb data, unlimited other poo poo

Add $10 to each if you get an iPhone on their tab. This is hosed.

Virgin seems to be the same way with "Gold" plans starting at 45 and going up to 80.

Is that basically the iPhone carrier field, excepting the laughable options from the Big Three?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

StealthArcher posted:

It's not, neither online nor in store. How's Virgin aside from being a subsidiary of they-who-shall-not-be-named? They have a 5GB and that unl nation calling for 65/mth They ALSO happen to have my phones little sister, the HTC One.

They're alright but the Bellus coverage in Manitoba leaves a lot to be desired IMO. I was there last week and my Note 3 kept switching from fast LTE to barely serviceable 3G.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

I love Virgin's math. $839.99 - $300 = $589.99. :downs:

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Science posted:

Take up to $300 off

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Science posted:

Well it's nice that the contract agreement is only two years!

Dog eats Dog
Jun 4, 2008
I'm with Fido, and I have the $56 promo plan they offered last year which is basically unlimited everything + 2gb data. What are my chances of getting a discount on a new iphone since they want you to have one of their new completely overpriced plans now to qualify for a discount?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

tuyop posted:

65: 500mb data, unlimited other poo poo (minutes, texts)
75: 1gb data, unlimited other poo poo
85: 3gb data, unlimited other poo poo

Add $10 to each if you get an iPhone on their tab. This is hosed.

Virgin seems to be the same way with "Gold" plans starting at 45 and going up to 80.

Is that basically the iPhone carrier field, excepting the laughable options from the Big Three?

Pretty much. Tab based systems got kicked in the balls with the CRTC regulations. Since they have to pay off a device within two years no matter what, they are not much different from contract providers. Hell, Koodo's $75/$85 for iPhone plan is actually worse than Bell's, the latter offering an extra gig for the same price. Supplying your own iPhone? Bell is actually slightly cheaper than Koodo, and you get more data! It's pretty sad when a Big 3 provider is beating a discount provider.