Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Here comes that son of a bitch mcafee to gently caress it all up!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

dennyk posted:

Hate to say it, man, but after-hours maintenance on production systems is part of being a sysadmin.

Oh, I get that after-hours maintenance is the norm. That part I do not question; there is zero way we can take down production servers during the day.

What pissed me off was the massive lack of notice. Major work like this always at least came with a month's notification. If not for us, at least so the users would know that poo poo would be down over the weekend and not expect availability. For this, though, I have zero clue how they got this approved since there's been no notice thus far.

dennyk posted:

13 hours does seem a bit excessive for firmware updates, though, unless you have thousands of servers and only two of you doing the work. Hell, even then you can script that poo poo and do a bunch of systems at once (or at scheduled intervals if you have stuff that can't be down simultaneously); it's not like you have to be doing them manually one at a time. How many systems are you going to be updating? It's also pretty lovely if your boss doesn't at least let you show up late/leave early for a few days the next week, even if they don't do "official" comp time. At least they gave you some notice instead of dropping it on you the Friday afternoon before, I guess. :v:

We have about 90ish physical servers that require updates, including blades. It's three people doing the work. Supposedly we'll have HP Server Update Manager doing the updating, but unless we're doing one server at a time - reboot, apply updates, test, reboot, apply iLO firmware updates, test, reboot, apply RAID array update, reboot, test - I don't think this would require 13 hours. I just hope that SUM is complete so we can maybe hijack a conference room and stream Netflix on the projector (the only upside of the SAN downtime Saturday back in November was we got to watch Ip Man and original GI Joe cartoons).

The lack of comp time has been the norm, not the exception, in this and my previous job whenever I was taking part in after-hours work that lasted this long. I'm toying with replying to the email mandating our presence and Ccing my boss' boss pointing out that 13 hours is basically two full normal workdays in one, and while it's to be expected that we get nothing, the combination of short notice and the duration really should merit that we get some kind of comp time. I'll leave it to them to more or less shoot that idea down, but it might just be brazen enough to allow us to get a weekday to sleep in an hour and come in late if we can schedule it.

If nothing else, it's YOTJ fuel.

If it helps set the situation, this company doesn't do casual Fridays and requires two or three weeks' notice if people are doing any kind of physical labor mandating jeans so they can make sure client meetings can be postponed. We were allowed four denim Fridays just this August for the first time ever.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Lum posted:

Does the hotswap flash method still work these days?

(Find a working board, enable shadow memory, boot to DOS, carefully remove BIOS chip while the system is powered on, flash BIOS, power up, put both chips back in their correct board.

Fixed a few boards that way when CIH was running rampant, then I discovered that work had an EPROM programmer so used that instead.
I remember having to do that with my old ASUS board. I ended up booting off the replacement and then hotflashing my dead chip, then taping the spare to the inside of the case in case I ever needed it again.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

It's 2013 and number lock still befuddles people.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Thank gently caress that most OS-level login screens warn you if capslock is on now. Too bad that doesn't go for web sites.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Huzzah, the unscheduled no-notice Saturday 13 hour stretch has been rescheduled, future date TBD!

Too bad I'm flying to Atlanta next weekend.

How long is it until weekends are but a benefit that we have to schedule in advance?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

teethgrinder posted:

Thank gently caress that most OS-level login screens warn you if capslock is on now. Too bad that doesn't go for web sites.

I have repeatedly watch users ignore it on windows logins. Assholes.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Maybe some type of warning or indicator light could be implemented in keyboards or laptops to let you know the num/caps-lock is on. Forget OS-level, that's HW level there and should result in no confusion.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Maybe some type of warning or indicator light could be implemented in keyboards or laptops to let you know the num/caps-lock is on. Forget OS-level, that's HW level there and should result in no confusion.

Don't be ridiculous that would cost way too much.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Vin BioEthanol posted:

I've seen a few laptops that don't actually have lights for capslock and numlock, instead just showing a little popup for 4 seconds on the screen when you hit those buttons. There's no persistent indicator that they're on at all.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I've seen a few laptops that don't actually have lights for capslock and numlock, instead just showing a little popup for 4 seconds on the screen when you hit those buttons. There's no persistent indicator that they're on at all.

Don't they generally have an indicator on the taskbar?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Why use a light on the keyboard when you can just add another background process that starts with Windows? :v:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

eszett engma posted:

ASUS, you say. I take it this is a P5 series motherboard? If it's important enough you can get a replacement BIOS chip from them for $15.

P5B Deluxe Wifi-AP edition. Love that board otherwise.

Lum posted:

Does the hotswap flash method still work these days?

(Find a working board, enable shadow memory, boot to DOS, carefully remove BIOS chip while the system is powered on, flash BIOS, power up, put both chips back in their correct board.

Fixed a few boards that way when CIH was running rampant, then I discovered that work had an EPROM programmer so used that instead.

Straight up soldered directly to the board. Asus wants to make sure that it's not even possible.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I got a cordless Logitech keyboard a little while ago. It's got a caps lock indicator light, but nothing for numlock. It does light up the indicator on my laptop when I hit it, but seriously how much more expensive would it have been to add one?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My new boss is already doing the same thing my old boss did: asking me if I want to do something, and when I don't telling me to do it anyway. The HR VP does this as well and I find it infuriating. If you want me to do something and you're going to insist on it then don't frame it as a question.

Sometimes I feel like the only person that knows how to properly exercise authority.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dick Trauma posted:

My new boss is already doing the same thing my old boss did: asking me if I want to do something, and when I don't telling me to do it anyway. The HR VP does this as well and I find it infuriating. If you want me to do something and you're going to insist on it then don't frame it as a question.

Sometimes I feel like the only person that knows how to properly exercise authority.

I used to have to ask my old boss "Are you asking me or telling me?" all the time.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
"I do not have any contact info for lot fancy. There should be some in the paperwork or box they may have a better option for you."

What? Apparently the solution for broken parts is to send it back and buy another one, not for them to send me a working part. It's a third party supplier and they just process the orders.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

larchesdanrew posted:

Don't they generally have an indicator on the taskbar?

You're expecting way too much thought from Asus.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Stupid question: does xp natively support burning DVDs from the send to menu? Or just CDs? Trying to help someone over the phone and googling this some people say yes, some say no.

New drive isn't even showing there, it does on explorer though.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 18, 2013

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yeah my ASUS laptop doesn't have physical lights for num/caps/scroll lock and it can be annoying at times.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Stupid question: does xp natively support burning DVDs from the send to menu? Or just CDs? Trying to help someone over the phone and googling this some people say yes, some say no.

Just CDs. DVD's was a Vista/7 feature

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Give join.me a shot if you can, it'll make your life so much easier here.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

stubblyhead posted:

I got a cordless Logitech keyboard a little while ago. It's got a caps lock indicator light, but nothing for numlock. It does light up the indicator on my laptop when I hit it, but seriously how much more expensive would it have been to add one?

The Logitech solar cordless keyboards don't have any indicator lights at all, which is great when I go to use the numpad, only to find out that it was disabled at some point and nothing I just keyed actually got entered.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Sickening posted:

The only instance I have seen of this we paid it and then did a chargeback on the credit card. Fast, simple, and it helps get the wiretransfer service used shutdown faster.

I like this solution. Fight fire with fire.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

CEO asked for topics for our monthly client newsletter, said cryptolocker and when is ok to release emails with a short explanation. Our go-to smart guy scoffed at it to which the other 2 network engineers piled on him that he doesn't get out and interact with clients/end users enough. Then they asked for a wire transfer to their African World Bank Princess Trust account. :allears:

tjl
Aug 6, 2005
Defense in depth!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Okay, I admit it: I reflexively dragged my mouse over the bar to see if I could clear the hung and process-terminated icons.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

n0tqu1tesane posted:

The Logitech solar cordless keyboards don't have any indicator lights at all, which is great when I go to use the numpad, only to find out that it was disabled at some point and nothing I just keyed actually got entered.

This, a million times this. Our conference rooms at work all have wireless keyboards with no indicator lights, no on-screen popup, nothng. Trying to use them to fill in a healthy mix of numbers and case sensitive text in a hurry in a meeting is an exercise in frustration.

*E* Almost forgot, some arsehole put the loving mail button exactly where Esc normally lives. So many times I've tried to do something in Excel and ended up bringing up the Outlook set-up menus in the middle of a meeting. :argh:

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 18, 2013

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Found out that our HR manager is a fan of eugenics. It's not for particular races though, for sex offenders and the mentally challenged. So it's OK. She's a mother so it's only right to want to do this to protect her children.

For all printers suck, no matter how hard Jira makes it to set up customer projects with unique workflows, none of it comes close to finding out the person in charge of Human Resources is actually that big on the 'human' part at all.

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.
Because the leader partner locked out his account this weekend the period of time your account is locked after 5 bad password attempts has been changed from 30 minutes to 5 minutes.

I'd say hackers would have a field day (yay financial records) but with the passwords I've seen from some users they wouldn't need 5 attempts to get in. I mean, I can't even give an example of a bad password because it would probably be a (sadly) valid password.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

toe shoes posted:

Found out that our HR manager is a fan of eugenics. It's not for particular races though, for sex offenders and the mentally challenged. So it's OK. She's a mother so it's only right to want to do this to protect her children.

For all printers suck, no matter how hard Jira makes it to set up customer projects with unique workflows, none of it comes close to finding out the person in charge of Human Resources is actually that big on the 'human' part at all.

Wow. That's a big ol' turd to step over in your workplace. Sorry, sir, but your IQ is under the acceptible minimum of 100. *SNIP* *SNIP*

Content: Found out today that our multimillion dollar data center modernization project with hundreds of VMs on dozens of ESXi hosts is based on vSphere installations using the SQL Express option.

Agrikk: Hey. Searching for a VM is flaky and some hosts don't appear, nor do they appear in a sorted list.
Burnt out colleague: Yeah. The SQL Express database has problems with sorting and VMs drop out of the list.
Agrikk: So to find a VM you have to scroll the unsorted VM list?
:colleague: Yep.

All to save, what, a few thousand bucks for a couple instances of SQL Server? On a fifty million dollar project?

gently caress yeah.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Agrikk posted:

Wow. That's a big ol' turd to step over in your workplace. Sorry, sir, but your IQ is under the acceptible minimum of 100. *SNIP* *SNIP*

Content: Found out today that our multimillion dollar data center modernization project with hundreds of VMs on dozens of ESXi hosts is based on vSphere installations using the SQL Express option.

Agrikk: Hey. Searching for a VM is flaky and some hosts don't appear, nor do they appear in a sorted list.
Burnt out colleague: Yeah. The SQL Express database has problems with sorting and VMs drop out of the list.
Agrikk: So to find a VM you have to scroll the unsorted VM list?
:colleague: Yep.

All to save, what, a few thousand bucks for a couple instances of SQL Server? On a fifty million dollar project?

gently caress yeah.

This sounds like other problems. SQL Express shouldn't have problems with ORDER BY.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

toe shoes posted:

Be glad she's not in charge of call center metrics.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Hey I just learned in my VMware class that SQL Express is only a supported config for 5 hosts and 50 virtual machines or less. So my mind is blown right now. SQL isn't even that expensive. Less than the cost of 2CPU licenses of vSphere 5 Ent.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So over the past few days we had some minor work to do with the web host for this client. They had to setup a new security module for and needed to install a new SSL cert. They emailed us to let us know about the request coming into so we could approve it. I was asked to contact the web host and arrange a time for this to happen so the Sr's could allow the change. Keep in mind I am not allowed to touch anything with the domain as 'I don't know enough". Ill be honest, I am happy with this.

So the security cert gets accepted, everyone is happy

Fast forward to today. I get another email from the web host asking us to change the IP that the domain points to as they had a server migration. I forward the request to the Sr who has been handling these requests.

I just get an email back:

"Hey Blackswordca: Here are the credentials for the domain. Figure it out on your own, it shouldn't be that hard."

For the record, I know how to do it, but I'm not going to.

Right now I'm digging up scope of support document, as well as previous emails sent by various managers and account leads that I'm not allowed to do it and throwing this back at him.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 18, 2013

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

A dusty old webserver went down today

code:
Drive-0 458gb
Drive-3 458gb    FAILED
-------
Vol-0   916gb    RAID-0
It was a good day! :)

Fortunately the backup is good. We're virtualizing it.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
I work for a football team. Passwords I have disallowed to GREAT resistance from users:
"football"
"$team_name"

Estimated % of employees who just try to use one of these and then add a '1' when it doesn't work: way too loving high.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Inspector_71 posted:

I used to have to ask my old boss "Are you asking me or telling me?" all the time.

You're being voluntold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
We used to have a light policy of just resetting staff passwords back to their id numbers if it expired or was forgotten. It's a pretty dumb thing to do and there were more than a few people abusing this so they'd never have to change out of their terrible password.

Starting this summer I've been setting the passwords to:

DD.MM.YYYY.first.last.empid

I always get a bit of a smile when someone calls in expecting to get their old password back, and then they hear that 30-40 character abortion. At least this way I'm assuming people are changing them.

• Locked thread