Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Pablo Bluth posted:

Ultimately, I think the answer to 6D vs 5DIII has less to do with the merits of the cameras and more to do with the financial situation of the individual. Unless you're desperate for GPS+wifi, or are a worshipper at the Church of DXO, the 5DIII is the better body. So it's a question of whether in the long-run £850 is significant cash.

As the saying goes, the best camera in the world is the one you have with you. So I'm not sure I'd hold off buying the 6D just in case you might be able to buy the 5D3 at some unknown time in the future.

I'm looking to upgrade, debating the 6D and 5Dmkiii, and agree with this. It's a matter of determining what differences exist between the two and evaluating the features/cost against what else I can do with that money. With my skills and budget I'd rather trade the 5D's features for other gear. Besides, whenever I outgrow the 6D there will probably be a better offering at that time.

In short, I'm not pro enough to need a 5Dmkiii.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I like the EOS-M too- it's certainly far perfect but for the price I feel good about the purchase. The touch menu is generally quick to use, and I've been happy with the photos.

Dad-at-Kipos 1464 on Flickr

mugs-in-pittsboro 1465 on Flickr

DurCentPark 1466 on Flickr

- Not sure if this is a problem outside of Aperture, but I seem to have the issue of reporting incorrect lens in the EXIF. I have both the zoom and 22/2, and in Aperture it shows all of them as being taken with the 22/2. Not a big deal but just something to watch out for.

- Have occasionally missed having a pop-up flash, although the 22/2 does a pretty nice job in reasonable light.

- Sometimes I have a hard time getting focus of close things (e.g. bugs, holding a lizard in my hand, etc).

- Not exactly sure how it happens, possibly when switching between a PASM mode and one of the other modes, but I end up taking a lot of inadvertent pictures when the "touch-screen-to-take-picture" mode gets reactivated without my knowing.

I haven't played around with the adapter for my ef/efs lenses much yet.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Seamonster posted:

And the viewfinder. Sure its only a little bit but there's something to be said for 100% coverage.
And a joystick, for that easy selection of AF points.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pablo Bluth posted:

That would require more than 1 usable AF point.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Pablo Bluth posted:

That said, the 8-way dpad thing is fine for the number of AF points on the 6D, unless you're coming from a 50D and really like the joystick.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
All this EOS-M talk is kinda making me jealous. I would legitimately buy the poo poo out of a EF-S 22mm f/2.

Yeah I know EOS-M is supposed to be the Geo of the mirrorless world, but I can't be the only one that wants a fast 35mm equivalent for crop line of Canons? Or is Canon's strategy to be sucker people in with cheap zooms and rebels then make them buy full frames?

Trambopaline fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 17, 2013

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

There's also this:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just wait for the next M body. They've finally figured out how to do sensor autofocus, so the next gen will have usable AF, and should be quite nice if they don't gently caress up anything else.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Think they'll put in a real, if cheapo viewfinder? I find it hard to take pics in super bright sunshine.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Canon might have to pay people to take the old M when the new one comes out. Sale prices are pretty darn low as it is. Almost makes the S and G series seem pointless depending on lens prices.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Trambopaline posted:

Or is Canon's strategy to be sucker people in with cheap zooms and rebels then make them buy full frames?

Basically. Their support for Crop lenses is crap.

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

make a 22mm pancake for my 7D you pack of jerks.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Luckily we have Sigma.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

BeanTaco posted:

make a 22mm pancake for my 7D you pack of jerks.

Is it weird that I want to buy a $550 5D for my $150 40mm pancake?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Luckily we have Sigma.

30mm 1.4 :whatup:

Spime Wrangler posted:

I am also like this. I've used the 40mm on a 35mm film Canon EOS 5 and it's sweet as heck.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

So what you're saying is I should buy a $9 EOS 650 from KEH and shoot a bunch of Tri-X, right?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Spime Wrangler posted:

So what you're saying is I should buy a $9 EOS 650 from KEH and shoot a bunch of Tri-X, right?

No, you should buy a Pentax ME Super.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Spime Wrangler posted:

Just do it. Be prepared for dramatic vignetting on the 5D though.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

fivre posted:

No, you should buy a Pentax ME Super.

This is the correct choice. The Pentax 40mm is as wonderful as the canon one.

Just you know, Pentax pulled it off 40 years ago.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
I have yet to try out the 40mm on my 5d yet. I bought the 5d a year and half to 2 years ago as my first SLR as I got into photography after getting a NEX5 for a really good deal. I have the 50mm 1.8 and it's mostly my low light lens and when I want a nice backroung blur and I have 28-105 f3.5-4.5 USM and a 70-210 f3.5-4.5 USM lens to complete my collection right now. Would the 40 still fit in there do you think, or would it possibly replace the 50?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

40mm isn't as fast as the 50 obviously but in every other way I find it better.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
To echo some of the recent discussion here, I've just been recently struggling between buying a 70D or a 5DmkIII - the pros and cons of each seem about the same to me. My interests lay in doing night photography - light painting and stars and such, as well as a fair amount of arty stuff and some portraiture. I'd love to have that full frame, but some of the higher-tech bells and whistles of the 70D seem neat too (touchscreen!) but in the long run, I realize that's just neat stuff and isn't going to affect my photo quality.

Hard choice. :| I wish I could find someone that has (or has shot with) both, that could offer a side by side comparison (and comparison shots) with each body.

Random aside question: Does the recommended "kit replacement" lens, the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, work on a full frame? I was talking with one of my instructors about it and he said he didn't think it did. :/ It's a "red dot", not a "white dot", but I guess the issue is barrel distortion/clipping?

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 19, 2013

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
The Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 is a crop lens and won't cover a full frame sensor, even though it will physically mount on a full frame camera. Unlike canon branded crop lenses which won't let you do that because of the EF-S mount.

I tried it on my 5D and got a hard vignette at all apertures and focal lengths.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

So, then what lens would be the equivalent to use on a full frame sensor camera? (also, whoops, fixed that!)

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Tamron or sigma 28-70/24-70 etc

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Keep in mind that the 5d3 kits come with an L lens, not the lower quality ef-s zooms that the rebels or XXD come with. Not saying you shouldn't go with one of the 3rd party lenses, but just know that "kit" is going to mean something different when you buy FF.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
For light painting you don't need the low light advantage of a fullframe sensor, since you'll be stopping things down regardless. As for astrophotography, you don't necessarily need the low light advantage, since people have been doing that with APS-C sensor just fine.

On the other hand, said low light advantage is pretty handy if you want to shoot with short shutter times at night.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

For light painting you don't need the low light advantage of a fullframe sensor, since you'll be stopping things down regardless. As for astrophotography, you don't necessarily need the low light advantage, since people have been doing that with APS-C sensor just fine.

On the other hand, said low light advantage is pretty handy if you want to shoot with short shutter times at night.

Right - it's just that right now I'm shooting with a 40D and a Rebel T3, neither of which handle particularly well for the level of work I want to be doing. :/ I find a lot that even doing shorter exposures and stacking, things are just horrifically grainy and I'm not pulling the star detail/trails I want. And, on top of that I need a camera that can do "better" video as I'm doing a class that requires it. It's just all around time for something new, and I've got about all the lenses I want/need at this time.

I guess I'll go with the 70D, if I hate it in the first three days I can always return it and keep saving for the 5DMkIII, right? Buyers remorse laws and all that.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
6D has the lowest long exposure noise:

http://petapixel.com/2012/12/13/canon-6d-and-5dmk3-noise-comparison-for-high-iso-long-exposures/

You don't need a 5D3 to do clean long exposure and in fact would be going slightly backwards in that particular metric if you got one.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Seamonster posted:

6D has the lowest long exposure noise:

http://petapixel.com/2012/12/13/canon-6d-and-5dmk3-noise-comparison-for-high-iso-long-exposures/

You don't need a 5D3 to do clean long exposure and in fact would be going slightly backwards in that particular metric if you got one.

Uh, those are huge crops of long exposures of the inside of a lens cap. Real world differences are basically nil.

The 5DmkIII is still the best camera of the lot. The only real advantages to the 70D over the 5DmkIII is price and the LiveView focusing, which is apparently pretty awesome but is more a feature for videographers. The 6D is great by all accounts, especially for the price, but it's essentially a stripped down 5D. If money is no object, the 5DmkIII is the way to go, just for the AF if nothing else, but if money is a concern (and when is it ever not?) then the 6D is drat good alternative.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
The subject was astrophotography in which case I assume they're manually focusing anyways so that godly awesome 61 pts of pure AF ownage isn't going to help.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Well, I do a whole lot more than just night/star/lightpainting stuff and my interests are broader than that, but it's one of the points I really want to cover with whatever I buy because my current bodies are falling far short of what I want to be able to do. :/ I'm a student, and do a wide variety of stuff from portraiture, studio product/commercial type shots, to photojournalism, to video multimedia, to shooting for art photography. A wide gamut of stuff, is what I'm trying to say.

I like autofocus, but manual is pretty cool sometimes too.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If you can live with recomposing and/or want to trust the few surrounding AF points (which are grouped pretty close to the center, anyway), go for the 6D. Everyone's yapping about the 5D3, but it's also over a grand more expensive.

I have a 6D and am happy with it. Sure, 61 crosstype AF points would be nice, but personally they weren't worth a 1000€ more. Also, going with the 6D, you can change the focusing screens without breaking out a set of screwdrivers. For some reason, Canon figured the 5D3 doesn't need that anymore with the new AF system. So if you want to focus manually with fast glass, you'll be hosed.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

The 6D was never an option for me - I am trying to decide between the 70D, the one that's just now about to be released (or maybe it was just released? Either way, the new one). This one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMS0GTC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I mean, budget wise I guess I could sit on my money and wait and get a 6D, because that was the plan if I decided for the 5DmkIII, since I'm working as the lab work study and would be able to afford it in a few months... but... ugh. I just don't know. This is harder than buying a drat car. :smith:

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
The 70D and the 5D3 are entirely different beasts. It should be pretty simple to determine which one you want/need based on your usage. Seems odd you're so closely comparing the two.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

That drat Satyr posted:

The 6D was never an option for me - I am trying to decide between the 70D, the one that's just now about to be released (or maybe it was just released? Either way, the new one). This one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMS0GTC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I mean, budget wise I guess I could sit on my money and wait and get a 6D, because that was the plan if I decided for the 5DmkIII, since I'm working as the lab work study and would be able to afford it in a few months... but... ugh. I just don't know. This is harder than buying a drat car. :smith:

If you're worried about budget enough that you can't get a 6D right away and are also considering getting a 5D3, you'll be saving for a loooong while. Go with the 70D, use it, when you have more money, sell it and get a 5D3 or whatever else is new at the time.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Do you have a camera now?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I am really confused because the 6D is the intermediary in price between the 70D and the 5D Mark 3. Are you sure you are not mistaking one of the models? It would make a lot more sense if you were talking about comparing the 6D and the 5DM3 or the 70D and maybe the 6D at least from a pricing perspective.

Prices from Amazon bodies only:

70D--1199
6D---1895
5DM3-3349

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
What I would do.

I would get the 60D and save up for the 6D or even the 5DMkIII.

Most of the differences and the reasons to get the 70D over the 60D will be lost when getting either the 6D or 5D. I would just stay clear of investing to much money or even any money at all into buying lenses that are created purely for the crop sensor format.

The 60D is cheap enough to keep as secondary camera when upgrading to the 6D/5D. And the price difference between the 70D and a 6D is not big enough to motivate the 70D as a stepping stone to be on until one can afford the 6D if it would just be a few months to save up the extra money for the 6D.

I could understand to get to fullformat as an upgrade over the years, but as I have understood it's over the next few months?

My advice would to not spend to much money on a crop sensor body if you are already debating to get a full format in the close future. And to make sure what your goals are and how you feel about the difference in the two formats, so take your time again to decide if you want a crop or full format sensor.

The 60D is a great camera made out of some kind of plastic material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
The 60D is cheap enough that people even thinking about rebels should really take a close look at the used market. Good for buyers but my resale value :negative: