Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
What ever you do, please please please do not touch anything until you have this appraised and properly insured through someone like Hagerty. My dad owned a XK120 and currently has a MGA and Austin which are skyrocketing in value. Your car, like several others have said, is worth more untouched.

The other option is: Do what you want and enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
Certain things had to be replaced, but the old parts were kept so I can put them back in once they are re-worked/rebuilt.
Perfect example- the finicky fuel pump. That thing was frozen solid. Until I can source a rebuild kit, or another identical replacement, I put in something else that works better, and was recommended for this particular application. Bolted right in, increased reliability significantly.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

the spyder posted:

Your car, like several others have said, is worth more untouched.

This is only a problem if he only got the car to flip it or as an investment.* If he wants to actually drive and enjoy the car, then he should definitely replace problem components with modern, reliable replacements.

*Cars are terrible investments.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

HotCanadianChick posted:

This is only a problem if he only got the car to flip it or as an investment.* If he wants to actually drive and enjoy the car, then he should definitely replace problem components with modern, reliable replacements.

Not this car. This is a good investment.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Terminus Est posted:

Not this car. This is a good investment.

This is an unbelievably fantastic investment.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

HotCanadianChick posted:

There's been more and more said that is wrong in this thread and this is the most wrong. He can without any problem sell it at any point for a big profit AND the value increase is almost certain to beat the increase in traditional investments. Or he can dump 30K into it and still make a a more than decent profit.

Sure, that's not true with almost any other car. This isnt any other car. Give it five years and I wouldnt be surrpised it's value is 100K or more.

quote:

The other option is: Do what you want and enjoy it.

drat right - It doesnt matter if it's a just get it going and enjoy OR a full ground up. It's still going to be a E-Type Jaguar. It's still a gorgeous and valuable car that he got ridiculously cheap.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Replacing parts dosn't include substituting with functional units does it? For example, would someone prefer a classic car with original brake hoses or ones not made out of chalk?

Cars are not terrible investments unless you look at them from the perspective of money sunk into them to keep them operational. But if you look at operating costs as a separate entity because they are a tool performing a function it can be quite different. My VW is worth a lot more than when I bought it, and scarily enough so is the Niva. Because they were used and not a museum piece of course there are maintenance costs.

No matter what this vehicle would turn a profit if sold, and in the end it's the owner's prerogative to do whatever.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Paint it, replace poo poo, drive the gently caress out of it.

gently caress value, gently caress patina, and above all else, gently caress owners clubs.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

VikingSkull posted:

gently caress value, gently caress patina, and above all else, gently caress owners clubs.

Show us on the doll where the bearded man in the tweed jacket touched you...

While I might agree with this sentiment for a well-used car, I don't agree at all in this case. This car is completely original and it would be a shame to hack it up into some sort of ghastly restomod; the likes of which have gripped American muscle cars for sometime now. Keep the car as original as possible...nothing says you can't drive the hell out of it if you do.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

VikingSkull posted:

Pretty much.

I'm confused, this thread had me excited, thinking it was going to be about a beautiful and fun to drive machine, not a museum display.

MrChips posted:

it would be a shame to hack it up into some sort of ghastly restomod;

I don't see anyone in here advocating doing a restomod; people are saying it might be worthwhile to replace a few of the more temperamental pieces of fine British craftsmanship with less 'characterful' parts while keeping the appearance largely stock. If you don't know why driving an older British car can be less of an enjoyable pastime and more of a neverending series of frustrations and tow-truck rides, you may want to familiarize yourself with such fine moments in automotive history as Lucas electronics and the joke: "why haven't the British started making televisions? Because they haven't figured out a way to make them leak oil yet" :rimshot:

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
I'm inclined to agree with VikingSkull. Do whatever the gently caress makes you happy.

Personally, I would leave it a little scruffy-looking, get the mechanicals sorted out (including reliability mods like the aforementioned fuel pump), and drive the poo poo out of it. I don't see the point in having a pristine trailer-queen of a car if you are afraid to drive it for fear of hurting it's value by getting a rock chip or a parking lot ding. It was made to be driven, not judged.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

VikingSkull posted:

All of the above. Unless you do something particularly stupid to it, it won't hurt the value or the innate "classic-ness" of the car, so have at it.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Original paint and patina look awesome.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Low rider, roof chop, flames, sbc. :colbert:

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Cakefool posted:

Just to watch peoples heads explode.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Cakefool posted:

Would drive. Someone should do this.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Then throw som horrible chrome 20's on it.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Why not get the rust and dents fixed, then wrap it. Instant new look yet still have the original paint saved for when the time and $ of restoration are available, plus it would let you go as crazy as you dream in regards to "paint job". (Dazzle Camo anyone?)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cakefool posted:

"GIT 'R DONE" plastered over the back window for bonus points. I think England would invade the US over that.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

You Am I posted:

"GIT 'R DONE" plastered over the back window for bonus points. I think England would invade the US over that.

And a set of truck balls in burberry plaid.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
If someone did that to an XKE I'd die a happy man. My lottery winning fantasy was always to buy a Ferrari GTO and turn it into a Promod dragster with a blown Hemi. :colbert:

It's not that I don't like original, I just hate when cars become so valuable that they become private museum pieces instead of out driving where people can appreciate them.

madattheinternet
May 8, 2004

PLEASE STOP! PLEASE!

Citycop posted:

Just like you would not swap out any bits on the Mona Lisa for something more modern, this car is a time capsule and a tarnished representation of what it was on it's best day, when it was original and brand new. What makes the car great is not how well it works, but how well it represents what it was on that first day. If you don't get that then you would probably be better off buying a brand new modern Jag instead of this increasingly irreplaceable antique.

The Mona Lisa only has to hang on a wall and look good, it doesn't have to ALWAYS provide fuel, air and spark on demand in addition to being a passive work of art. As other people have said already and the current curator of this particular exhibit confirmed, this car isn't being restored to be stared at have its every cable tie and screw head examined, so tasteful, functional upgrades are essential for its continued enjoyment. Anyone who works on and appreciates older cars will "get" the fact that eliminating some known issues by using modern replacements is preferable to chasing electrical gremlins in a hot parking lot in August or hoping nervously that an air dam can clear a ramp as it's being winched onto a wrecker.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
All corners are essentially done on the brakes now.
Stainless steel wheel cylinders (the cylinder & piston for the brakes) have been installed.
Just waiting on the new brake booster, and it'll be ready to drive.

Oh yeah, also got the new fuel tank in. That was a BITCH.

Way2slow fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 20, 2013

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Someone else will always have a better museum-grade collector's time capsule than you.

Nobody will ever be able to drive for you. It's you and the car, here, now, and lost to the generations that come. Smoke em if you got em.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Don't listen to him I'll totally drive for you, and I don't even like E-types so you know that it's strictly business!

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?
The future is dead; the past is dead.

Make smoke.

Make noise.

Go fast.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
Project may be on hiatus until at least October 14th. Just got word back from the supplier that the next run of brake boosters is expected in then. They'll try and source a few others here or there, but my magic eight ball says "Not likely".

Also, speedo has been fixed. All gauges appear to work.

Way2slow fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 20, 2013

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Way2slow posted:

Project may be on hiatus until at least October 14th. Just got word back from the supplier that the next run of brake boosters is expected in then. They'll try and source a few others here or there, but my magic eight ball says "Not likely".

Also, speedo has been fixed. All gauges appear to work.

Can we get a video of you whipping donuts in a parking lot once you get it road worthy?

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

Terminus Est posted:

Can we get a video of you whipping donuts in a parking lot once you get it road worthy?

Maybe once it has new tires. I bet these old ones would just pop.

Seeing the delay on the booster, I decided to try and see if the old equipment would work.. One corner bled properly, and shot out with tremendous force, but the other corners did not. I suspect a blockage in the line, as I did not see any leaks, and the pedal was stiff.
Will be trying to find the blockage on Sunday, and maybe get it on the road.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
It drives.
Granted, the old tires are beyond their usefulness, and the passenger door latch doesn't always catch, but still it made it from point A to point B. Only got semi hot once stopped, and that was my own stupid fault that should now be fixed.

Here it is a little cleaned up.

The sad thing is the paint is so misleading in the picture. At that distance, the cracks you can't see, but they are ALL throughout the paint, and cleaning it up just made them more apparent.

Oh yeah, about that latch. So I'm making a left turn, and the door decides to open on its own. Whoops. Good thing no one was next to me, but it was hilarious, because the person behind me noted that the lady in the car coming the opposite direction apparently freaked out and thought someone was bailing out of the car.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
I think it would look better with some clear covers for the lights.

It's pretty rad the way it is right now if you can just fix the little things to make it reliable.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

2 months from sitting for 30 years to running and driving?

Not bad for AI. :colbert:

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Way2slow posted:

Oh yeah, about that latch. So I'm making a left turn, and the door decides to open on its own. Whoops. Good thing no one was next to me, but it was hilarious, because the person behind me noted that the lady in the car coming the opposite direction apparently freaked out and thought someone was bailing out of the car.

I assume it has the older style door latches?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Way2slow posted:

The sad thing is the paint is so misleading in the picture. At that distance, the cracks you can't see, but they are ALL throughout the paint, and cleaning it up just made them more apparent.

This bloke my dad knew who ran a Jaguar repair shop had a wife who drive a XJ6 of similar vintage as your E Type and all the paint was cracked on it. It looked insane, like it had dermatitis.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Wasn't crackle glaze all the rage with arts & crafts a while back?

:haw:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Paint was cracked like that on one of my 1960's bikes. When I tried to fix it the paint turned out to be some sort of old school solvent proof super paint. I had to smooth things out with some filler primer because all I could do was scratch it.

lolricecamrylol
Sep 27, 2004
minivanmegafun bought me this account and said I'm stuck with this title until I derice my car.
That's probably lacquer paint from the factory, and if it hasn't been repainted in the last 25 years it probably still is. You should be able to buff it to a nice shine, but it will not last, and the cracks will look even worse in sunlight.

My suggestion: Repaint it eventually, but don't cheap out. At the very least, use something along the lines of DuPont Chroma, and strip it to bare metal first.

It is only worth more with that "patina" to someone that is going to do a full strip-down restoration on it anyways, especially since rust is starting. Any patch job with a partial respray will drop the value, no matter how much it matches. Besides, you won't be able to match that "crackle" in the paint. If you are keeping it for yourself and want it as nice as an e-type can be, just paint it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I really don't see a problem with repainting it, especially if it's done in the original color. It would ultimately be worth more with a quality paint job than the way it sits now, and obviously it would look ten times better. I think the car hasn't quite reached the point of "oh my god don't touch it" yet. If it was an original Shelby Cobra yeah I wouldn't touch it because it would be worth a lot more untouched. That's not the case with this car I would think.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

Vindolanda posted:

I assume it has the older style door latches?

I can only describe them. They are square blocks that have a multispoke gear that resembles a starfish sticking out the bottom. This gear catches the latch on the door frame and is supposed to hold. The passenger side does not catch all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Way2slow posted:

I can only describe them. They are square blocks that have a multispoke gear that resembles a starfish sticking out the bottom. This gear catches the latch on the door frame and is supposed to hold. The passenger side does not catch all the time.

I've seen that kind in old Mopars too, if we're thinking of the same one.

• Locked thread