Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Gooooons :argh: I'm rotting my eyes reading Worm in my phone on my way to work/during work (also, I'm being a lot less productive but that's not a concern, to me anyway)

I love how things just keep escalating like crazy. I thought Lung was bad, and by this point (Accord just arrived to Brockton) he would be a secondary concern even if he was out and about.

Gotta say that I love the variety of powers that the author keeps droping on us. I love it when I can just read a name and go "oh, poo poo!" like I did when Noelle escaped (and I didn't knew what she was about at that point!).

However, are there any other web serials I can read that goons would recommend? I'm going to give Ra a read, but is there any other? I know Worm is pretty unique (quality-, quantity-, punctuality- wise), but anything that's at least entertaining would be good, specially something more "dark fantasy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Maybe Contessa's death was somehow vital to defeating Scion

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

28.x Weld is a loving moron. "Yeah sure, I'll just cobble together this coalition of revenge crazed mutants and go on a selfish rampage while the world burns. But I am one hundred precent sure that when we come face to face with the source of all our pain I can convince them all to be civil and restrained."

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

sirtommygunn posted:

Maybe Contessa's death was somehow vital to defeating Scion

28.xScion has Contessa's power, and the good guys need a way to beat that if they're going to beat him. If the Irregulars have something that trumps Contessa, then it should help against Scion as well.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Skippy McPants posted:

28.x Weld is a loving moron. "Yeah sure, I'll just cobble together this coalition of revenge crazed mutants and go on a selfish rampage while the world burns. But I am one hundred precent sure that when we come face to face with the source of all our pain I can convince them all to be civil and restrained."

He's idealistic, not his fault here so much as Cauldron's for dumping them all out there. Weld made a choice he should regret.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'm not saying it's his fault, just that he should maybe never be put in charge of anything ever if this is the capaticy of his strategic thinking.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Yeah, it's kind of a quintessential "the reason evil wins is because good is dumb" moment.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Well, in this case, it was Evil's fault to begin with. Cauldron releasing all those Case 53s all this time was going to bite them in the rear end anyway. Weld just catalyzed things.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Lprsti99 posted:

E: She sounds like some hosed up version of Echidna.

AHAHAHAHA I loving CALLED IT

E: to be fair, that was pretty obviously the idea

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 17, 2013

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

28.xScion has Contessa's power, and the good guys need a way to beat that if they're going to beat him. If the Irregulars have something that trumps Contessa, then it should help against Scion as well.

Not necessarily. The way I understand Contessa's power, it shows her the route to the best possible outcome to any given situation. The key to beating it, therefore, is to create a situation where even the best possible outcome is pretty sucky. That's a lot harder to do when your opponent is an alien god who your powers are literally designed not to hurt. Seriously, Zion is so insanely overpowered that I really can't see a violent solution working against him.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

As far as solutions to Scion goes, let's not forget that there is still a third entity around somewhere, and Contessa had a shard from it. That's probably going to be a big part of that.

Also, Scion going crazy isn't really worst case scenario, considering Scion was always going to destroy humanity when the time to collect the shards came. The counterpart dying causes this situation but, strangely, I'd argue there's more hope in this than there would have been in a successful cycle.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

SerSpook posted:

As far as solutions to Scion goes, let's not forget that there is still a third entity around somewhere, and Contessa had a shard from it. That's probably going to be a big part of that.

Also, Scion going crazy isn't really worst case scenario, considering Scion was always going to destroy humanity when the time to collect the shards came. The counterpart dying causes this situation but, strangely, I'd argue there's more hope in this than there would have been in a successful cycle.

Yeah, victory isn't so much defeating Scion as it is neutralizing him. Changing his mind would be enough, and considering his powerset, it might actually be the only real hope.

Oh yeah, The Simurgh: Is manipulating Lisa with a memory of her brothers suicide and manipulating Taylor with a memory of Dinah, both people these characters care a hell of a loving lot about, but what might that accomplish?

Also, the thing Smufy is making and hiding inside of the gun is probably a cloning device, but it could be a lot of things that would hold a single human being; hibernation chamber, some sort of healing device, time machine? If it is a cloning device, who the hell is she planning to clone?

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 18, 2013

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
This has probably already been thoroughly discussed, but I enjoy hashing stuff out like this, so bear with me.

So, a thought I've had after reading the interlude where Crusader and Purity take Theo to the university to talk to the parahuman expert guy, as well as Tattletale's explanation of how the passengers are big, whale-kind-of beings in another dimension. During the interlude from Noelle's point of view, when she's fighting Eidolon, she realizes that her passenger wasn't supposed to go to her. That makes me believe that the effect of Cauldron's power-giving potion (for lack of a better term) is to force a passenger to connect to the person who drank the potion, meaning whoever that passenger was meant for doesn't get it.

We also know that the children of capes generally get powers similar to their parents' (Glory Girl getting light manipulation from Brandish and Flashbang, Panacea getting biology manipulation from Marquis). So, poor Theo, whose (presumed, it wasn't confirmed or denied yet) father and grandfather were metal manipulators, should have a similar power along those lines, and yet has not had a trigger event yet, though he really should have. Sure, he's evidently not been in a situation likely to cause a trigger event yet, hence them abandoning him at the end of that interlude, but what if one of the Case 53's, namely Weld, intercepted his passenger and got a warped version of what his power would have been?

That also leads me to wonder what would happen if someone who was eventually destined to gain powers normally drank one of the potions. Would it just bring on their trigger event more quickly? Would they get a completely different power than what they would have? What if they triggered afterward, would it be just like a normal secondary event, where they gain new powers, or would there be some sort of conflict? Can the person whose passenger was intercepted still trigger, and if so, do they get a new one, or is there some interaction with the person who got the original?

Goddamn, but it's been a while since a book made me think this hard. I love it.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Lprsti99 posted:

This has probably already been thoroughly discussed, but I enjoy hashing stuff out like this, so bear with me.

So, a thought I've had after reading the interlude where Crusader and Purity take Theo to the university to talk to the parahuman expert guy, as well as Tattletale's explanation of how the passengers are big, whale-kind-of beings in another dimension. During the interlude from Noelle's point of view, when she's fighting Eidolon, she realizes that her passenger wasn't supposed to go to her. That makes me believe that the effect of Cauldron's power-giving potion (for lack of a better term) is to force a passenger to connect to the person who drank the potion, meaning whoever that passenger was meant for doesn't get it.

We also know that the children of capes generally get powers similar to their parents' (Glory Girl getting light manipulation from Brandish and Flashbang, Panacea getting biology manipulation from Marquis). So, poor Theo, whose (presumed, it wasn't confirmed or denied yet) father and grandfather were metal manipulators, should have a similar power along those lines, and yet has not had a trigger event yet, though he really should have. Sure, he's evidently not been in a situation likely to cause a trigger event yet, hence them abandoning him at the end of that interlude, but what if one of the Case 53's, namely Weld, intercepted his passenger and got a warped version of what his power would have been?

That also leads me to wonder what would happen if someone who was eventually destined to gain powers normally drank one of the potions. Would it just bring on their trigger event more quickly? Would they get a completely different power than what they would have? What if they triggered afterward, would it be just like a normal secondary event, where they gain new powers, or would there be some sort of conflict? Can the person whose passenger was intercepted still trigger, and if so, do they get a new one, or is there some interaction with the person who got the original?

Some of this gets addressed, but you ask some really good questions regarding someone that already had a power ingesting the potion.

One of the things to keep in mind is that, for the most part, Cauldron runs lots of tests on those they plan on giving their potion to. Some of these tests may be to see if they, in fact, have latent powers of their own and then working to trigger these powers. Cauldron clearly knows more about powers than the other players in the series, so it'd not be unreasonable to think that they screen for this.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Lprsti99 posted:

"Inheriting" powers aren't based on getting a shard from any of the alien entities directly. The shards seem to fall across a pretty large section of space and time, but children of capes specifically get their powers because a nearby shard is mature and generates new shards. This was mentioned in the Scion POV.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Yep, the shards themselves grow, reproduce, and evolve. The children of capes are generally getting the child shards of their parents shards. Taylor's shard has a child shard for instance, but it's not in contact with anyone.

Second triggers may be the holder of a child shard gaining access to that child shard, a whole family of shards in one person.

This also means the whole point of the entities (Scion and the other) experiment has been fulfilled, only because the entities cannot be reformed, Scion (mistakenly) thinks the whole thing has been a failure.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Algid posted:

"Inheriting" powers aren't based on getting a shard from any of the alien entities directly. The shards seem to fall across a pretty large section of space and time, but children of capes specifically get their powers because a nearby shard is mature and generates new shards. This was mentioned in the Scion POV.

Which I haven't gotten to yet :ssh:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Lprsti99 posted:

Which I haven't gotten to yet :ssh:

Then you really shouldn't be reading this stuff because we are only using spoilers for the lastest current arc or two.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

NecroMonster posted:

Then you really shouldn't be reading this stuff because we are only using spoilers for the lastest current arc or two.

No, I know, and it's fine, I just meant that my ramble was based on what I've read so far.

E: and other than when I bring it up, there's very little discussion going on about anything that's not the current arc, so I'm not too worried about it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Lprsti99 posted:

1. Why wouldn't he just get weld's power?

2. Isn't his power like metal manipulation? He's manipulating physical stuff with his body. It's a similar vein, just not limited to metal and with the restriction that he has to use his body to literally shape the stuff vs just his mind.

3. SerSpook - what about eidolon's power up potions?. What are those?

4. Necromonster - doesn't she have the admin shard? Is that a kiddie shard?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

builds character posted:

1. Why wouldn't he just get weld's power?

2. Isn't his power like metal manipulation? He's manipulating physical stuff with his body. It's a similar vein, just not limited to metal and with the restriction that he has to use his body to literally shape the stuff vs just his mind.

I'm going off of this line:

Noelle posted:

It wasn’t me.

Whatever her body was, the intelligence and purpose that lurked inside her other half, whatever these powers were. It had all gone to the wrong person.

Gone to the wrong person, askew from the beginning, then twisted further by her own psychological issues, messed up by the fact that she’d only taken half a dose.

I kind of read that as just the act of taking someone else's passenger would change it somehow. It still has the same basic properties, but skewed somehow, I don't know, it's just an idea v:shobon:v. And Weld does seem to be limited to metal, considering how he has to avoid touching metal stuff or he automatically starts absorbing it.

E: Sorry if I'm annoying people by spouting these ideas off about stuff that's long past as far as the story goes, I'll stop if you want.

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 18, 2013

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

builds character posted:

4. Necromonster - doesn't she have the admin shard? Is that a kiddie shard?

She's got the admin shard and another shard that split off of her shard and that she isn't in contact with, Scion notes this during his interlude.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

NecroMonster posted:

Yep, the shards themselves grow, reproduce, and evolve. The children of capes are generally getting the child shards of their parents shards. Taylor's shard has a child shard for instance, but it's not in contact with anyone.
Aiden has it. He's the kid that got bird control powers and drew the pictures that had to be described to Lisa.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Algid posted:

Aiden has it. He's the kid that got bird control powers and drew the pictures that had to be described to Lisa.

That makes sense yeah. Scion didn't say anyone had it, but he also didn't say no one had it, just that Taylor didn't. Tho I guess it's also possible that Taylor's shard has reproduced more than once and Aiden simply has the earlier child shard. Not that it really matters, but that's a cool loving detail that I didn't put together there.

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 18, 2013

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

28.x Also hey, I sure hope they have someone on hand who can save Doormaker. Otherwise logistics get about a billion times more complicated for the good guys.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
chiming in to say i read this straight through for the last week, and while parts were a little weak, its overall EXCELLENT.

is there a good overview of the whole thing so far? i dont get the same insight as everyone seems to be getting according to spoiler text..

The wiki page has a very telling timeline that puts things into perspective, but the stuff about the source of powers is a little fuzzy to me.

EDIT: specifically

What was said to Eidolon by Scion

What is the speculation on the source of the endbringers? Eidolon's power? That never was too clear

What is the deal with passengers /shards / etc ?

^^ this was always a bit fuzzy to me, did i just read to quick ? Some of the time jumps are a bit jarring

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 18, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Roundboy posted:

chiming in to say i read this straight through for the last week, and while parts were a little weak, its overall EXCELLENT.

is there a good overview of the whole thing so far? i dont get the same insight as everyone seems to be getting according to spoiler text..

The wiki page has a very telling timeline that puts things into perspective, but the stuff about the source of powers is a little fuzzy to me.

EDIT: specifically

What was said to Eidolon by Scion

What is the speculation on the source of the endbringers? Eidolon's power? That never was too clear

What is the deal with passengers /shards / etc ?

^^ this was always a bit fuzzy to me, did i just read to quick ? Some of the time jumps are a bit jarring

What was said to Eidolon is its own chapter immediately after his interlude.

On Endbringers: I think the idea is that Eidolon needed true challengers so he could fulfill his inner need to be useful. He wasn't smart like Alexandria, and he wasn't a pretty face like Legend. He had stronger powers than either though, and by a fair margin, he just needed something he could truly fight. Somehow this either created or called the Endbringers; I think speculation is that they are, in fact, shards.

Shards are the parts of Scion he basically cast off as he gave off powers. They are the passengers, though in most cases very crippled due to him limiting them so they cannot kill him. Eidolon was as strong as he was because Scion's partner entity died and likely never finished crippling the shards it had. I believe he has a shard that is similar to Glaistig Uaine's or, potentially, Taylor's.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Ohhh I thought that single line chapter was some sort of mistake

It makes sense now

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I don't think it's ever been made explicit what Eidolon's power was - my interpretation is that he actually had the part of Scion's dead partner that was intended to gather all the shards back together (and could access a smaller version of what Scion could do - basically anything any shard can - so that the two could reproduce and literally gently caress the Earths out of existence before they moved on. Up until Eidolon's interlude it was powered by injections of dead shards from the counterpart, but Eidolon finally worked out how to use the power properly - draining living shards from people and collecting their power into himself - which was what Scion needed him to learn in order to stand a chance to fix the counterpart. Once Eidolon had learned to do that, for which he needed worthy opponents, he was no longer of use to Scion, his shard was mature, and Scion said what he needed to to stop Eidolon fighting, so that he could harvest Eidolon's mature shard.

Or something.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I really really doubt that Scion has any plan beyond killing every human being he can get his hands on. He's honestly just not smart enough for anything else.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
In the latest chapter he seems to be going the same route that Jack had hookwolf go. He is experimenting with observing the emotional reactions of his kills. I wonder if he went back and talked to Jack again or if he is just trying out new things now.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Pretty sure that Foil can hurt Scion now. I had thought it before, since her power was the one the worms had used against each other in the past, and this chapter further suggests it. Rather than just tank her attack, he stopped it before i could hit and then made it a point to go for her.

gently caress yeah to Parian though. Good save on her part, even if Foil may be seriously hurt after that throw. Maybe Legend or someone intercepted her? One can hope.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Scion seems less invulnerable now, what with having stains and stuff on him, and actually putting up an effort on defense. I reckon all those powers he deflected or blocked could have wounded him. Anyone he guns for aggressively could have killed him.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
loving hell. I think I know how Cauldron already saved the world once. What's one other thing that we know would end the world? What if somehow they assassinated Scion's counterpart to prevent the two entities from simply performing the cycle and destroying all earths?

I mean, it could just be :tinfoil: but it seems to fit.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

veekie posted:

29.1 Scion seems less invulnerable now, what with having stains and stuff on him, and actually putting up an effort on defense. I reckon all those powers he deflected or blocked could have wounded him. Anyone he guns for aggressively could have killed him.

Remember Scion's power source. It might not be worth his time (:v:) to take care of all those things at this point.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Tollymain posted:

loving hell. I think I know how Cauldron already saved the world once. What's one other thing that we know would end the world? What if somehow they assassinated Scion's counterpart to prevent the two entities from simply performing the cycle and destroying all earths?

I mean, it could just be :tinfoil: but it seems to fit.
That's pretty much the going theory at this point. I don't think anyone really expects anything else.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Hahahahaha holy poo poo Taylor is hard-core. Had her bugs chew open Valefor's eyeballs and filled them with maggots. What.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

veekie posted:

Scion seems less invulnerable now, what with having stains and stuff on him, and actually putting up an effort on defense. I reckon all those powers he deflected or blocked could have wounded him. Anyone he guns for aggressively could have killed him.

Scion's never actually been invulnerable, well, he did make sure he couldn't lose a fight against the shards he altered and cast out, but those same shards have changed, and reproduced since then. He's dealing with far more unknowns than he started this whole experiment with, he's running himself dry of power at the same time. He's acting in total desperation, trying whatever he can to induce some sort of improvement in his own situation. He's basically committing a sort of suicide here.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

NecroMonster posted:

Scion's never actually been invulnerable, well, he did make sure he couldn't lose a fight against the shards he altered and cast out, but those same shards have changed, and reproduced since then. He's dealing with far more unknowns than he started this whole experiment with, he's running himself dry of power at the same time. He's acting in total desperation, trying whatever he can to induce some sort of improvement in his own situation. He's basically committing a sort of suicide here.

There's a good chance of simply killing him by exhaustion then, if everyone puts up a good fight. There are far more shards out there than Scion has and defeating all of them will be hideously costly in terms of energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

veekie posted:

There's a good chance of simply killing him by exhaustion then, if everyone puts up a good fight. There are far more shards out there than Scion has and defeating all of them will be hideously costly in terms of energy

On the other hand he's making efforts to conserve his energy, probably so he doesn't run out of energy before he runs out of humans.

• Locked thread