Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Momomo posted:

I'd say Pokemon, since you can't actually lose progress in that game. When you lose, you're just sent to the Pokemon Center and have to walk back to wherever you were, all the trainers you fought are still considered beaten.

Or Dragon Quest, which did the same thing first. :v:

DQ9 is pretty fun and very accessible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Momomo posted:

I'd say Pokemon, since you can't actually lose progress in that game. When you lose, you're just sent to the Pokemon Center and have to walk back to wherever you were, all the trainers you fought are still considered beaten.

While you can beat pokemon with only the starter you more likely are going to need to learn how to capture, use types, level up multiple pokemon, use healing items, and use things out of your inventory. I think the "easiest" RPG would be one where everything except combat is automated and even that is so easy due to character overlap you have to actively try to lose.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pokemon or Paper Mario are the most suitable for beginners. Dragon Quest is the best that is also suitable for beginners. They take nothing for granted regarding the player's understanding of the rules.

Few people, even kids, are too dumb to complete an RPG once they know how it works. Difficulty isn't the issue. The problem is that a lot of the feedback in RPGs is indirect and a lot of the mechanics are obscured, so reliable pedagogy is both more necessary and more difficult for the designer to include.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest :black101:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I played through FFIV* as a kid and gave up on Mystic Quest because I thought it was bullshit difficult.

*Getting stuck multiple times at different points and having to rent it again until the SNES was no longer renting games.

Edit: I still hate the Magnetic Caves. I could beat everything up to there so I replayed the game twice to that point and then ended up renting a copy where someone was much further and I played that to the moon.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 17, 2013

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Not counting Zelda (which is more of an action-RPG hybrid), Mystic Quest was babby's first RPG in my case. It's easy to pick up, very forgiving, and does a good job of teaching you a lot of basics just through experimenting in gameplay and "man, that was a pain to deal with" or "wow, that made it much easier". I still have a soft spot for it. Especially some of the music.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Secret of Mana is hard to screw up and you can even play with the person to help them.

Went over real well playing multiplayer with my cousins. It is also absurdly easy with three humans playing.

Of course, there's not much to it that is conventional enough to be helpful elsewhere.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

That loving Sned posted:

Which is the best RPG for someone who's never played one before? Mine was Super Mario RPG, which I forgot existed for ten years, but going back to it is absolutely amazing.

If you enjoy SMRPG, then you'll enjoy the Mario & Luigi games. Many of the same people worked on SMRPG went on to form Alpha Dream. They're very easy to get into and have great writing by Nintendo's Treehouse localization staff. The Paper Mario games are similar but they are a lot more story heavy and have pacing issues.

As far as the SNES era goes, Chrono Trigger is probably the best idiot proof JRPG that doesn't come off as condescending. There is a hub world which provides hints for players stuck on what to do. You can also avoid most enemy encounters. It's paced extremely very well and doesn't require a significant time investment.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Barudak posted:

As far as Final Fantasy goes the remade FFI definitely falls in the category and US FFIV is pretty easy because it doesn't require any character stat growth management. All the others have optional systems for how to trick out your characters that you either intuit or make the game between harder and impossible. FFVI is probably the easiest of those because assuming you give people any form of magic at all you should be beasting the end game.

ImpAtom posted:

I would say FF6 honest. It's very easy but has a wide and varied cast and in general is very accessible to beginners. You're seriously more likely to die in MRPG than you are in FF6.

Final Fantasy I, IV, and VI on the GBA were the first Final Fantasy games I played, and they're probably best enjoyed on the first playthrough. Unlike II, III or V, you don't need to worry about developing your characters to complement each others skills, or to tackle any situation, you just need to focus on progressing through the game with the team you're given. FFI on the GBA gives you a pretty good set of classes by default, so if you don't want to choose then you'll still do alright.

Momomo posted:

I've been playing through the first Pokemon generation (with a patch that improves the visuals and colour to look like Gold and Silver), and it's amazing how well it holds up. However, there is a lot of knowledge I have going into it that makes it more fun to play, such as where to catch certain types of pokemon, (Pikachu, Abra, Clefairy) and which ones are worth levelling up (Abra, Magikarp, Caterpie). I'm also heavily abusing the speed up button, so in two hours I had eight hours logged on my save file.

Sunning posted:

If you enjoy SMRPG, then you'll enjoy the Mario & Luigi games. Many of the same people worked on SMRPG went on to form Alpha Dream. They're very easy to get into and have great writing by Nintendo's Treehouse localization staff. The Paper Mario games are similar but they are a lot more story heavy and have pacing issues.

As far as the SNES era goes, Chrono Trigger is probably the best idiot proof JRPG that doesn't come off as condescending. There is a hub world which provides hints for players stuck on what to do. You can also avoid most enemy encounters. It's paced extremely very well and doesn't require a significant time investment.

I didn't realise that some of the developers from SMRPG went on to work on later ones, but I also didn't know that the music in the Mario & Luigi games are done by Yoko Shimomura, who also worked on Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy XV. The Geno reference in Superstar Saga would make sense if some of the same people worked on it.

Paper Mario is also a great first RPG, although the sequel is probably much better if you played the first one beforehand.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 17, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

Final Fantasy I, IV, and VI on the GBA were the first Final Fantasy games I played, and they're probably best enjoyed on the first playthrough. Unlike II, III or V, you don't need to worry about developing your characters to complement each others skills, or to tackle any situation, you just need to focus on progressing through the game with the team you're given. FFI on the GBA gives you a pretty good set of classes by default, so if you don't want to choose then you'll still do alright.

Yeah, I know a lot of people who had tremendous trouble with FFVIII and to a lesser extent FFVII because they just didn't grasp how the junction system worked. I know the first time I played through I got stuck in the games unwinnable section during the missile sequence and had to restart. Second playthrough with the knowledge I gained from the first I ran roughshod over it.

If only the plot hadn't been so incredibly bad I would probably have liked that one the most.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
When I was a kid I got to the end of FF8, but it took forever because all I did was use summons over and and over and over. The junction system is explained in the beginning of FF8 but if you're a kid who just got a new Final Fantasy game you probably skipped all the tutorials because you've played the previous games and didn't need tutorials. I know the draw/junction system is liked by a lot of people, but it's not something you can just intuitively figure out unless it's explained to you.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

I would say FF6 honest. It's very easy but has a wide and varied cast and in general is very accessible to beginners. You're seriously more likely to die in MRPG than you are in FF6.
Yeah, SMRPG is surprisingly brutal. You can accidentally exploit glitches that make you invincible in FF6, but even if you're max level and know what you're doing, you can still wipe to the final boss by sheer bad luck in SMRPG.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

When I was a kid I got to the end of FF8, but it took forever because all I did was use summons over and and over and over. The junction system is explained in the beginning of FF8 but if you're a kid who just got a new Final Fantasy game you probably skipped all the tutorials because you've played the previous games and didn't need tutorials. I know the draw/junction system is liked by a lot of people, but it's not something you can just intuitively figure out unless it's explained to you.

I think a huge problem is that its a system with a cost/benefit problem for the brain. You're presented with the option to prevent all damage while dealing what, early game, is a ton of damage for no cost other than time or you can grind to add magic which in low amounts doesn't seem useful and is limited. If you cast the magic that you're junctioned to you get weaker so it feels like the game is punishing you for using magic so you end up forgoing junction entirely assuming you even understand it that well which the game doesn't really do.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Barudak posted:

While you can beat pokemon with only the starter you more likely are going to need to learn how to capture, use types, level up multiple pokemon, use healing items, and use things out of your inventory. I think the "easiest" RPG would be one where everything except combat is automated and even that is so easy due to character overlap you have to actively try to lose.

At some point though becoming that 'easy' undermines the fact that it's supposed to be a game by making all your options kind of pointless since all of them lead are at least close to optimal. If your goal is to get people into/to like jRPGs the game needs to be accessible but still have some layer of challenge, because going from that 'easiest' game to any other game in the genre they'd just hit a brick wall.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

At some point though becoming that 'easy' undermines the fact that it's supposed to be a game by making all your options kind of pointless since all of them lead are at least close to optimal. If your goal is to get people into/to like jRPGs the game needs to be accessible but still have some layer of challenge, because going from that 'easiest' game to any other game in the genre they'd just hit a brick wall.

Of course, I'm just saying easy-ness can be more than just HP pools and damage output its also how many systems the game expects you to master. A game with just levels is easier to understand but not necessarily play than a game with levels and equipment which is easier than a game with levels equipment and crafting.

As an example of mechanical ease not making the game easier theres Seventh Saga US which is crazy difficult or impossible depending on who your rival is at the beginning.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The easiest RPG out there has to be Progress Quest.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PunkBoy posted:

FF XIV is back up for digital download, and if you use the code GMG25-4T2A7-4HOQ2 at Green Man Gaming, you get 25% off.

Is it worth it? Like what would be 5 good& bad points about the game you've hit so far?

Momomo posted:

Also you can/could power through the game using just your starter because you'll end up with a large enough level gap that you can pretty much just overpower the enemy. If you can't then you go get a TM and give your pokemon a skill that will get the job done. Even with some extras in my team my starter was 65+ when I got to the elite four in Red and it dismantled multiple enemies that had water/ground/ice attacks because he'd either survive the hit or go first and bury them due to having so much more attack thanks to the level gap.

If trainers didn't stay beaten people could and would farm them repeatedly for fast exp and money. Not sure how it goes in the newer ones but in Red/Blue the possibility of going broke was there and when that happens I hope you like grinding your rear end off to make up for not having a pile of healing items to carry you through (like I did in Platinum, burning probably 70+ restores/full heals/revivals/ethers on the elite four).

On the other hand, introducing a little kid to pokemon is pretty much giving them a bag of video game crack.

Dr Pepper posted:

Or Dragon Quest, which did the same thing first. :v:

DQ9 is pretty fun and very accessible.

Having to pay to revive party members ate gold fast though if you were struggling in the earlier game/ Once you had vivify/revive you were fine but at that point you generally had no need to buy anything either.

The easier RPG is Progress Quest. :colbert:
e: ^^^^ Damnit :argh:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Why is everyone assuming that the person looking for a starter RPG is trying to find one for an infant? Also you can't beat Pokemon with just the starter and nothing else because you need HMs to progress. Although there is nobody alive that is so stupid that they never caught any Pokemon ever because they couldn't figure it out

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Why is everyone assuming that the person looking for a starter RPG is trying to find one for an infant? Also you can't beat Pokemon with just the starter and nothing else because you need HMs to progress. Although there is nobody alive that is so stupid that they never caught any Pokemon ever because they couldn't figure it out

I tutor at schools sometimes and have tutored at a school when a new Pokemon game came out. There were in fact kids who had trouble catching Pokemon for a variety of reasons even after tutorials. Small children play Pokemon and they often times just don't understand even the basic mechanics. They can catch Pidgies and Ratattas but not the more complex stuff through anything but pure RNG forcing.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ImpAtom posted:

I tutor at schools sometimes and have tutored at a school when a new Pokemon game came out. There were in fact kids who had trouble catching Pokemon for a variety of reasons even after tutorials.

Now that I think about it, I think it had a lot to do with the fact that I was also watching the anime at the time, as was every other kid. It really drummed into your mind that you had to catch 'em all.

Also Pidgeys and Rattatas are strong as poo poo when they evolve. Nothing wrong with them. Hyper Fang is strong as hell.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 18, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Huh. So supposedly Final Fantasy XIII-3 is going to have a limited number of enemies in the game. If you kill every last member of a species the last member of the species gets a power up and you get a reward for beating it.

That's a little unnerving. Kill every last living thing on the planet: The JRPG.

Edit: Also a hard mode with stronger enemies and unique skills.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 18, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ImpAtom posted:

Huh. So supposedly Final Fantasy XIII-3 is going to have a limited number of enemies in the game. If you kill every last member of a species the last member of the species gets a power up and you get a reward for beating it.

That's a little unnerving. Kill every last living thing on the planet: The JRPG.

That game just sounds stranger and stranger the more I hear about it. It's going to be an experience, that's for sure.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is it worth it? Like what would be 5 good& bad points about the game you've hit so far?

It's totally worth it. If you buy it at Green Man Gaming you can use a code to get it for 25% off, and it's already at a pretty cheap 29.99. I've beaten the game (well, the story, but if you're not one to get into MMO endgames then it's still totally fine to stop after you're done with the main story, still worth it), and it's up there competing with 9 as my favorite in the series. I'd say my 10 points would be...

Good:
1. It's very Final Fantasy. The most Final Fantasy Final Fantasy since 9. There's Crystals and airships and Chocobos and Cid and the victory theme and an evil empire with Darth Vader if he was a FF12 Judge as the main villain. But despite all the references (and there are a lot) it still manages to stand out on its own with a very memorable world. It's pretty tongue-in-cheek and doesn't take itself too seriously, while still having its share of serious moments.
Biggs and Wedge are absolute stars, by far their best appearance in the series to date.

2. The presentation is absolutely fantastic. Everything from the visuals (which is optimized by goddamn wizards, I get 30 FPS on a laptop and it's still absolutely gorgeous) to the audio, it all stands out and works really well. The cutscenes also manage to be really cool. The voice acting... is nothing to write home about. The villains get to ham it up every now and then so I can forgive it.

3. The main story is pretty good, with twists and turns and awesome boss fights. The characters you meet during the story are all also very memorable and I can name even several of the less important side characters by name, they stand out so much. There are three different starting points, depending on which class you pick during character creation, and they all have seperate stories from levels 1-17, after which they converge. Otherwise the story's pretty linear, but each class also has their own story quests every five levels, most of which are actually pretty good. Oh, and...

4. The class/job system works basically like FF5. You can be any class, no matter what you start as. Tired of being the White Mage healbot, just head over to Ul'dah and learn how to punch dudes in the face. You need to level each class seperately, though; just because you're a max-level 50 shitstomper doesn't make you more than a scrub level 1 shitstopper if you wanna tank. Though you CAN cross-class some skills from different classes, it's not enough to make you work like a hybrid class or something.

5. You can play with friends!* Team up with other goons to try and kill Demon Wall before he crushes you into a fine paste in one of the dungeons, who wouldn't want to do that. Crazy people, that's who.

As for bad points...

1. Square Enix's support system isn't exactly the best. If your account gets into trouble or you have other problems, it's not easy to get it fixed.

2. It's still an MMO, and a very WoW one at that, which can mean a fairly poisonous community depending on who you interact with. Stuff like how in the final story dungeon, people complain that you watch cutscenes and order you to skip them and just rewatch them in an inn later can really sour one's mood. Also, I guess I shouldn't call it bad, but if you're not engaged by WoW combat mechanics you won't be engaged here. It's somewhat different since the global cooldown is 2.5 seconds instead of 1.5. Some think that slows combat down too much, others like how that makes every decision more important. I'm okay with it.

3. There are odd lag issues going on right now, where even if you seem to have gotten out of an AoE attack, it'll still hit you. Coupled with insta-kill stuff, that can be pretty annoying.

4. The endgame's in a fairly odd spot right now, with one of the raid dungeons not being able to make it into release. If you care about that, it might be worth waiting until November, which is when patch 2.1 comes out with that dungeon and other boss fights.

5. Just some misc quality of life stuff, I guess. No auto-sort (coming in 2.1, probably), being unable to trade in dungeons, things like that.

I'm really looking forward to expansion packs and patches to further the storyline, which I suppose is the biggest praise I can give it.

Terper fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 18, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Terper posted:

4. The endgame's in a fairly odd spot right now, with one of the raid dungeons not being able to make it into release. If you care about that, it might be worth waiting until November, which is when patch 2.1 comes out with that dungeon and other boss fights.

On this, out of curiosity, is there any sort of raid finder or support for getting pug raids together? (you may not know, and if not, that's fine) I've been vaguely interested and your post actually kinda stoked that interest quite a bit.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Terper posted:

[...]I've beaten the game (well, the story, but if you're not one to get into MMO endgames then it's still totally fine to stop after you're done with the main story, still worth it), and it's up there competing with 9 as my favorite in the series. I'd say my 10 points would be...
[...]
3. The main story is pretty good, with twists and turns and awesome boss fights. The characters you meet during the story are all also very memorable and I can name even several of the less important side characters by name, they stand out so much. There are three different starting points, depending on which class you pick during character creation, and they all have seperate stories from levels 1-17, after which they converge. Otherwise the story's pretty linear, but each class also has their own story quests every five levels, most of which are actually pretty good. Oh, and...

How many hours did it take you to beat the main story? If I were to buy it and spend between 4 and 6 hours a day on it, could I get through it in the first month or two?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

ImpAtom posted:

This is actually a novel (and yes, messed up) idea. Have any other games tried something similar?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hedera Helix posted:

This is actually a novel (and yes, messed up) idea. Have any other games tried something similar?

Didn't XI sort of have a system like that, where if you killed enough rabbits the omega rabbit would show up and ruin your poo poo?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

When people talk about beating Pokemon with just the starter they mean it's the only pokemon you use in fights, the other slots are filler for HM duty. :ssh:

I've managed to gently caress up and give my start the Cut HM every single time I've played through a pokemon game. It actually game in use a few times on the green starter in platinum but having it on Charizard on red back in the day annoyed the poo poo out of me and the inability to just replace the skill was dumb as hell since HMs have unlimited use.

Terper posted:

It's totally worth it. If you buy it at Green Man Gaming you can use a code to get it for 25% off, and it's already at a pretty cheap 29.99. I've beaten the game (well, the story, but if you're not one to get into MMO endgames then it's still totally fine to stop after you're done with the main story, still worth it), and it's up there competing with 9 as my favorite in the series. I'd say my 10 points would be...

Good:
1. It's very Final Fantasy. The most Final Fantasy Final Fantasy since 9. There's Crystals and airships and Chocobos and Cid and the victory theme and an evil empire with Darth Vader if he was a FF12 Judge as the main villain. But despite all the references (and there are a lot) it still manages to stand out on its own with a very memorable world. It's pretty tongue-in-cheek and doesn't take itself too seriously, while still having its share of serious moments.
Biggs and Wedge are absolute stars, by far their best appearance in the series to date.

2. The presentation is absolutely fantastic. Everything from the visuals (which is optimized by goddamn wizards, I get 30 FPS on a laptop and it's still absolutely gorgeous) to the audio, it all stands out and works really well. The cutscenes also manage to be really cool. The voice acting... is nothing to write home about. The villains get to ham it up every now and then so I can forgive it.

4. The class/job system works basically like FF5. You can be any class, no matter what you start as. Tired of being the White Mage healbot, just head over to Ul'dah and learn how to punch dudes in the face. You need to level each class seperately, though; just because you're a max-level 50 shitstomper doesn't make you more than a scrub level 1 shitstopper if you wanna tank. Though you CAN cross-class some skills from different classes, it's not enough to make you work like a hybrid class or something.

5. You can play with friends!* Team up with other goons to try and kill Demon Wall before he crushes you into a fine paste in one of the dungeons, who wouldn't want to do that. Crazy people, that's who.

As for bad points...

1. Square Enix's support system isn't exactly the best. If your account gets into trouble or you have other problems, it's not easy to get it fixed.

2. It's still an MMO, and a very WoW one at that, which can mean a fairly poisonous community depending on who you interact with. Stuff like how in the final story dungeon, people complain that you watch cutscenes and order you to skip them and just rewatch them in an inn later can really sour one's mood. Also, I guess I shouldn't call it bad, but if you're not engaged by WoW combat mechanics you won't be engaged here. It's somewhat different since the global cooldown is 2.5 seconds instead of 1.5. Some think that slows combat down too much, others like how that makes every decision more important. I'm okay with it.

3. There are odd lag issues going on right now, where even if you seem to have gotten out of an AoE attack, it'll still hit you. Coupled with insta-kill stuff, that can be pretty annoying.

5. Just some misc quality of life stuff, I guess. No auto-sort (coming in 2.1, probably), being unable to trade in dungeons, things like that.

I'm really looking forward to expansion packs and patches to further the storyline, which I suppose is the biggest praise I can give it.

Cool, I might give a try in November then since I'm still trying to work through a few games while getting distracted by PAD so waiting until 2.1 seems like it might be good if there's some quality of life stuff going on in it in addition to those fights being added.

Waldean
Apr 27, 2005

How many hours did it take you to beat the main story? If I were to buy it and spend between 4 and 6 hours a day on it, could I get through it in the first month or two?

At 4-6 hours a day it would take less than a month, depending on how distracted with other things you let yourself get.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Hedera Helix posted:

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter's enemies were that way; nothing respawned. However, that game was built around resetting from the beginning (with benefits to get you further the next time around), which also reset the enemies.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

ImpAtom posted:

I gotta say, the more I hear about Lightning Returns the more I want to give it a shot. It sounds like a lot of thought was put into the gameplay and that's something I can respect.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wonder if they also plan to make it a sort of soft cap on leveling. You quite literally can't grind in an area because everything's dead. The info on it is fairly scarce so it might not be that extreme but it'd be a way to re-institute the FFXIII level cap without making it a flat barrier.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

ImpAtom posted:

I gotta say, the more I hear about Lightning Returns the more I am convinced that the characters and plot are going to be even more messed up. Depending on the player, Lightning can literally be a genociding bitch, instead of just a bitch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gologle posted:

I gotta say, the more I hear about Lightning Returns the more I am convinced that the characters and plot are going to be even more messed up. Depending on the player, Lightning can literally be a genociding bitch, instead of just a bitch.

Well, to my understanding, the plot is literally "the world is dying and Lightning is collecting the souls of everyone to take to a new world. Everyone left behind will be erased from existence forever." So I guess she's collecting the souls of monsters too? Damned if I know. It sounds almost Valkyrie Profile but probably won't be.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Gologle posted:

This game might let us kill both Snow and Noel, that's good enough for me.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Are you loving kidding me.

Really.

Really.

Literally making a 3D remake of The After Years. Of all the games to give a 3D remake to, it's...really!?

Hedera Helix posted:

I think FF Mystic Quest had a limited number of enemies, since there were no random encounters and monsters don't respawn when defeated.

As for beefed-up enemies, Sword of Mana let you fight a tougher version if you beat I think one thousand of an enemy. They were tougher, but dropped high-end forging materials. Of course, killing one thousand of one enemy is as ridiculous as everything else about that drat game.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 19, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
This means you'll have to LP it, Mega64.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Mega64 posted:

I think FF Mystic Quest had a limited number of enemies, since there were no random encounters and monsters don't respawn when defeated.

This is true, but they respawn if you leave the dungeon and come back.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Mega64 posted:

Are you loving kidding me.

Really.

Really.

Literally making a 3D remake of The After Years. Of all the games to give a 3D remake to, it's...really!?

This is the first time I won't be buying something FFIV-related. I got enough of the After Years in the Complete Collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Where the hell is my FFV remake you stupids