Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Question Mark Mound posted:

Just checked Downcast's twitter feed and it seems that their iOS 7 UI update is currently pending review. I can't wait, seeing as it's by far my most used app!

Yeah I've been waiting for that as well. At least it's in review instead of no word from them. Downcast has a lot of problems on the iOS7 homescreen for me on my 4S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Pocket Casts has had it's first update in what seems like forever. Excited to check it out, I remember liking it just a little less than Downcast.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
To keep up podcast app chat, Instacast has just been updated and it looks fantastic.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

A bunch of app updates today, more coming every hour. Shazam is very nice now, hell in general they're all better-looking and this whole "deference to the data" design rule is a welcome change from "deference to stitched leather".

I wonder how my parents will react to it, it's definitely more "futuristic" I suppose. Girls are going to love it, probably. Wonder what the kids will think (even though children are dumb and their opinions are dumb, but could be interesting to see their reaction)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Now if only Apple would press "go" on their update.

edit - and literally 2 minutes after I post that, the update is out. :downs:

xzzy fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 18, 2013

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Don Tacorleone posted:

A bunch of app updates today, more coming every hour. Shazam is very nice now, hell in general they're all better-looking and this whole "deference to the data" design rule is a welcome change from "deference to stitched leather".
It seems like iOS 7's huge UI change was the kick in the rear end that a lot of app developers needed to think "Oh, maybe it's worth trying to make our app look like it belongs on the system and isn't some hacked together hunk of code entirely separate from Apple"

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
So now that iOS 7 removed the ability to quickly post to Twitter and Facebook from the Notification Center, does anyone have any suggestions about an app that lets you somewhat replicate that functionality? I don't wanna have to load up my whole timeline every time I wanna spam social media. I did some searching and did find stuff like this but it kind of looks like rear end and I was wondering if there's any Goon-Approved apps out there.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem
If you don't care about posting pictures, Drafts is pretty useful for quick posting/searching for things.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

101 posted:

Pocket Casts has had it's first update in what seems like forever. Excited to check it out, I remember liking it just a little less than Downcast.

The PocketCasts update is incredible. It has proper iOS 7 background downloads. It also does this neat thing where the now playing screen colors match the podcast artwork. Really nicely done..

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
I'm really conflicted about the Evernote update. It's a mix of the fantastic (super fast, lots of little time-saving shortcuts, background sync and in-app image annotations), the terrible (light blue very thin type on green background, really?) and the odd (why are tags presented in the forefront, but not reminders, and why must their announcements take up so much room?).

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.

Magic Mango posted:

I'm really conflicted about the Evernote update. It's a mix of the fantastic (super fast, lots of little time-saving shortcuts, background sync and in-app image annotations), the terrible (light blue very thin type on green background, really?) and the odd (why are tags presented in the forefront, but not reminders, and why must their announcements take up so much room?).
That same ultra-thin font has started showing up in other apps too. It's goddamned terrible for readability on a phone-sized screen.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Flexibits have announced Fantastical 2 will be out next month and iOS7ified. Looking forward to it.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
OmniFocus2 is out and I heard good things about the first one. I assume this one is an improvement?

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

POCKET CHOMP posted:

So now that iOS 7 removed the ability to quickly post to Twitter and Facebook from the Notification Center, does anyone have any suggestions about an app that lets you somewhat replicate that functionality? I don't wanna have to load up my whole timeline every time I wanna spam social media. I did some searching and did find stuff like this but it kind of looks like rear end and I was wondering if there's any Goon-Approved apps out there.

Seconded, would love to get a good suggestion on this.

On a separate note, I dig the new FB UI, but why can't this app still not remember what setting you have for your timeline? Very frustrating.

Vintimus Prime fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 19, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

POCKET CHOMP posted:

If you're wanting to post pics or a URL link, Safari and Photos have that functionality built into the share button.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
It seems that lots of developers have either waited til now or been kicked in the back side into doing some quite hefty updates aside from the visual side of things. Rather surprised at how much has changed in some apps functionality wise, and how many seem faster as well - I guess those API changes really do them favours?

And background syncing for apps like Pocket and Evernote too, holy poo poo it's like another planet opening them without a sync wait

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Neurophonic posted:

It seems that lots of developers have either waited til now or been kicked in the back side into doing some quite hefty updates aside from the visual side of things. Rather surprised at how much has changed in some apps functionality wise, and how many seem faster as well - I guess those API changes really do them favours?

And background syncing for apps like Pocket and Evernote too, holy poo poo it's like another planet opening them without a sync wait

They've probably been working on these updates for the last couple of months because they'll get coverage being the first iOS7 themed apps. We've basically been kicking around Awful iOS7 ideas since the night of the WWDC keynote.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

In the new stock Music app is there any way to not have to scroll through every song on every album? To have it collapse by album in each artist like it used to?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

TheJoker138 posted:

In the new stock Music app is there any way to not have to scroll through every song on every album? To have it collapse by album in each artist like it used to?

In the old app Settings: Music: Group by Album Artist: On

I'm still on 6.1.4

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Suqit posted:

In the old app Settings: Music: Group by Album Artist: On

I'm still on 6.1.4

Yeah that's still on. Does nothing to fix this, now.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah that's still on. Does nothing to fix this, now.

I can't read and I'm a dumbass.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I've just started using IFTT, and it's great, but a quick question:

I've downloaded a recipe to have new iOS photos upload to DropBox, but even though it tells me it's uploading photos, the app still says it hasn't triggered and they aren't appearing in DropBox.

Have I missed a step here? I just downloaded a popular recipe, gave the apps access and assumed it would work. Am I a dumbass here?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

CelestialScribe posted:

I've downloaded a recipe to have new iOS photos upload to DropBox, but even though it tells me it's uploading photos, the app still says it hasn't triggered and they aren't appearing in DropBox.

Have I missed a step here? I just downloaded a popular recipe, gave the apps access and assumed it would work. Am I a dumbass here?

Really stupid question but have you taken a new photo since turning on the trigger?

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Haha, yes, several.

Edit: In the recipe, it requests a file URL, which it specifies as "PrivatePhotoURL", and a File Name, which it specifies as "TakenDate". Do I need to change those to have it work?

Sorry, I'm not very experienced with this sort of stuff.

CelestialScribe fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 19, 2013

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Magic Mango posted:

Evernote: why must their announcements take up so much room?.

This is a less-than-ideal solution, but if you click on announcements and click through each story, it will mark them as read. Then, when they are all read, the announcements section will disappear.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

CelestialScribe posted:

Haha, yes, several.

Edit: In the recipe, it requests a file URL, which it specifies as "PrivatePhotoURL", and a File Name, which it specifies as "TakenDate". Do I need to change those to have it work?

Sorry, I'm not very experienced with this sort of stuff.

Have you opened the IFTTT app?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Mailbox has changed its default sound to Tritone. :negative:

Hopefully it should be fixed in 1.6.1 within the next few days.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

TinTower posted:

Couldn't you just change that ringtone to whatever? I've been using a Strong Bad quote for the last few months whenever I get an email because I want to die single. You should be able to use whatever you want.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

IUG posted:

Couldn't you just change that ringtone to whatever? I've been using a Strong Bad quote for the last few months whenever I get an email because I want to die single. You should be able to use whatever you want.

Not Mail.app, Mailbox. Which doesn't support notification customisation yet.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Do any good TV guide apps exist?

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem

TinTower posted:

This may or may not be related, but I also noticed the podcast I was listening to in Downcast would stop for a couple seconds every time new mail came in.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Wait a minute I saw that there was a new instacast and I have bought the app with the pro in app upgrade as well but now I have to buy the newest version for 5 bucks? gently caress that, is Downcast any good? I'm seriously considering to change podcast apps.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Eight Is Legend posted:

I use Episodes (http://episodesapp.com/) but it's not accurate 100% on every show I have on there.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Eight Is Legend posted:

Dijit is OK. It acts as a Roku remote which is why I downloaded it to begin with. You can also add your netflix queues

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Kaizoku posted:

Have you opened the IFTTT app?

Yep, no dice :(

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

CelestialScribe posted:

Dumb question, but why don't you use the Dropbox app for this?

Also, IFTTT has a feed of triggered items, is it not appearing in that?

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
No, it 's not appearing there. Super weird.

I didn't know you could save photos directly to the DropBox app?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Multitasking seems to still be buggy on updated apps. Downcast is timing out its downloads every two or three minutes, instead of ten in iOS 6.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

PonchAxis posted:

Wait a minute I saw that there was a new instacast and I have bought the app with the pro in app upgrade as well but now I have to buy the newest version for 5 bucks? gently caress that, is Downcast any good? I'm seriously considering to change podcast apps.
Downcast is marvellous, I use it all the time. I have to admit, the iOS 7 update isn't quite as pretty as I was hoping on the player screen (everything else looks great, but the podcast playing screen is white on black in opposition to literally every other screen) but other than that I would definitely recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0

CelestialScribe posted:

I find IFTT to be really streaky, and although it has amazing potential for a great app, the functionality isn't there yet for many scripts.

Just use the dropbox mobile upload feature, it's much easier, quicker and most important of all works every time.

• Locked thread