Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

hey cocoa crispies how do you do testing in cocoa/objc stuff? because i'm partial to ruby i really wanted to get some of the ruby based frameworks working but they all seem to target iOS stuff, which I'm not interested in.

I spent the last day or so messing with frank-cucumber which is cool but it isn't really ready to go on osx

idk, i don't touch that stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

MrMoo posted:

Some crazy Googler contacted me for an interview tomorrow so I'll find out.

http://symbo1ics.com/blog/?p=2055

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

They asked yesterday what is 224? I blasphemed and opened up Windows Calculator ...

Unfortunately I worked out two ways to calculate it in my head afterwards.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

MrMoo posted:

They asked yesterday what is 224? I blasphemed and opened up Windows Calculator ...

2^10 * 2^10 * 2^4?

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

who gives a fuk thats why we invtend computers lol

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Bloody posted:

2^10 * 2^10 * 2^4?

212 * 212 was easy for me, first time I just counted on my fingers and that worked.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

MrMoo posted:

212 * 212 was easy for me, first time I just counted on my fingers and that worked.

i like using 2^10s for estimates because ~1000 is very easy to work with

of course while estimating 2^24 i remembered 2^4 as 8 instead of 16 :downs:

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

MrMoo posted:

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i used to have the powers of two memorized up to 2^20.

i also used to be able to count in binary. i'm kinda glad those days are behind me.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

dur posted:

i used to have the powers of two memorized up to 2^20.

i also used to be able to count in binary. i'm kinda glad those days are behind me.

thats pretty impressive. i used to be able to get hard witout drugs and could count past 20 without an adding machine. im kinda glad thsoe days are behind me

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
idk i have 2^24 memorized back from the days where gfx cards started using 24 bits per pixel and people were like 16777216 colors holy poo poo

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I had 2^16ish memorized from doing so much cisco networking stuff

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

now all i have memorized are regrets

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MrMoo posted:

They asked yesterday what is 224?

It's 224? This is a perfectly fine way to represent the number

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

FamDav posted:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

tef posted:

It's 224? This is a perfectly fine way to represent the number

the correct answer (thank goodness i thought i was agreeing with tbc for a second there)

e: isn't the point of all of these questions that they shouldn't be taken at face value?

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 19, 2013

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Shaggar posted:

entity framework blows. also orms suck cause your application model and your data model can and likely will be different and trying to cram them together sucks and having to translate from orm data objects to application model objects sucks. use stored procs to translate from db to application so you don't have to deal with crappy orm middlemen

serious question, how do you sanely manage stored procs in a db? do you create / modify them in migration files which are checked into your application's (or wherever the application models live) source control?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah I create diff scripts that get migrated thru environments. it kind of sucks though cause there aren't any source control tools built into sql management studio/sql server so you have to build the script and check it in using tortoise svn or w/e. it can be error prone and lazy people will pretty much never do it.

I wish there was an object schema control tool for sql server. that would rock and make migrations super easy.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
There is redgate, or the more obvious: SQL projects in Visual Studio...

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah im not bringing my entire sql schema into visual studio. also the vs sql project tools suck dick. sql management studio is better for sql development (duh) so why the hell aren't the tools there. also why aren't they built into the sql server itself?

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Shaggar posted:

vs suck dick

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Mido posted:

now all i have memorized are regrets

same

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
hey shaggar im writing a thing with jax-rs and i like it. thanks java

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ya cxf is pretty good. spring ftw.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
so last night i really sat down with django and made a web sight

http://290.dyndns.org:8800/

it works!!!!

already far more comfy with it that i was with rails

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Jonny 290 posted:

it works!!!!

you should have it show a map based on the address in the dispatch that'd be neat

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

hubris.height posted:

you should have it show a map based on the address in the dispatch that'd be neat

yep thats the next step.
then im going to do it up in bootstrap, figure out how to run a userbase and then add a service where you click on the map to set your neighborhood and enter your email or sms for any dispatches in X radius of that

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Jonny 290 posted:

yep thats the next step.
then im going to do it up in bootstrap, figure out how to run a userbase and then add a service where you click on the map to set your neighborhood and enter your email or sms for any dispatches in X radius of that

god drat man good work :thumbsup:

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

Jonny 290 posted:

yep thats the next step.

that is super rad post the github

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Jonny 290 posted:

yep thats the next step.

weird how they seem to come in clusters, does the dispatch service just publish them in batches?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

i barely GNU her! posted:

weird how they seem to come in clusters, does the dispatch service just publish them in batches?

yeah they have some job that redoes the html source page every few minutes. its not a real smooth feed. im sure its some batch file jank on their back end

i've talked to a couple officers of the fayetteville PD and they think the twitter feed is pretty cool.

really after i have the maps and userbase there is no reason i couldnt geographically expand this, just feed it with whatever dispatch data I can scrape off local websites

i'll github it up after i have more than a 4 line model and 6 lines of += html building in the view. lemme polish hehe

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
hey, this is kind of stupid but has anyone ever converted html to svg? like maybe a table? I could probably do it w/ xslt if I spent a billion years writing the transform but if someones done it already that would be rad. I want to do this in .net

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

ur right thats pretty stupid

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I want 2 be able to take a chunk of html and make it into a pic w/out having to go thru some even dumber poo poo like loading a browser to render it.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

just use the com binding for trident

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah the way everyone does it is they use a windows forms webbrowser control (which wraps mshtml) to render the html and then take a screengrab. that works, but its yucky.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

render to a memory dc and convert the bmp to png

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

it works!!!!

{'default': {'ENGINE': 'django.db.backends.mysql',

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
Template error:
In template /home/jonny290/coptwit/coptwit/templates/coptwit/index.html, error at line 7
Could not parse the remainder: '("-date")[0:30]' from 'Incidents.objects.order_by("-date")[0:30]'
1 : <div id="map-canvas" style="float:left;width:600px;height:600px;"></div>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorponok
May 13, 2002

No... not without incident.

Mido posted:

shameful programmer status (sss):

spent an hour today not understanding why my poo poo was crashing at runtime when i tried to delete a pointer

turns out i didn't make the destructor on the base type virtual and so it was invoking undefined behavior

C++

The latest clang warns about this, I think you have a bad compiler. Sorry broseph

• Locked thread