Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
Are there no new releases tonight? I don't see anything new on TA's 'hot games' list, nor has anyone been talking about tonight as they do most Wednesdays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Duranki posted:

Are there no new releases tonight? I don't see anything new on TA's 'hot games' list, nor has anyone been talking about tonight as they do most Wednesdays.

iOS 7 just came out, maybe everyone is preoccupied with that.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Duranki posted:

Are there no new releases tonight?
How about Infinity Blade 3 and Angry Birds Star Wars 2?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Feenix posted:

What the gently caress is cookie clicker?

http://orteil.dashnet.org/cookieclicker/

You can thank/curse me later.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

delfin posted:

The other big thing is that PAD walks the tightrope between being whale-friendly and free-friendly. PAD is sufficiently generous with the premium currency to give free players a reasonable taste of what's on the other side of the IAP wall. It gives you a long buildup of beatable levels to let you grasp what the game is about before it dangles anything heavy in front of you, and while it requires some grinding to get evolution items for your monsters, it gives you enough for free to let you buy box spaces and an occasional rare pull. (It also doesn't have any loving fetch quests.)

Battle Camp isn't a lovely game underneath all the begging and BUY BUY BUY. I've played shittier PAD clones by far. It's just a shame that they decided to shove the premiums and the social media overload right in the face of every player from the start.

I'm sitting on 32 magic stones right now (I'm saving them for later). I've also spent significantly more than that on expanding my inventory, refilling my stamina/rezzing myself after dying to farm event dungeons, and rare gamble pulls.

I think I average about 15 free stones per month or something just from events, not counting any I get if I clear a dungeon for the first time or whatever the "login X days in a row" bonus is.

And since you get a free stone for each dungeon you clear and you should be able to clear the first 5-10 pretty quickly, you can easily buy another 25 to 50 inventory slots within the first few days of playing, even if an event isn't going on (and you can expect to have maybe 5 monsters worth holding onto at first, max).

On the other hand, in Battle Camp I have serious inventory management issues and a bunch of pokemon I can't even do anything with because they're not built yet, and the effort:reward ratio for their stupid Tapjoy thing is lovely and unfun.

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 19, 2013

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

That new Riddick game, too.
http://appshopper.com/games/riddick-the-merc-files

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Angry Birds Star Wars 2

Hot drat I had no idea it was coming this soon, thanks!

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Man the tier 4 dungeon is in infinity blade 3 is worse for grinding than the tier 3. The girl with lock pick 2 had like 4 chest in rapid fire she could unlock. Tier 4 has 1 after about 6 fights.

Edit: Never mind there are 2 uber unlocked chest. Basically the same rewards as a medium chest but without requiring a key.

Edit2: Death do count as moving your crafting bar forward. When you die to a boss you "lose" 2-4 hours. So your crafting bars raise by that much.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 19, 2013

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Duranki posted:

GTA V.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

For reals, cookie clicker is stupid and rapidly becomes a waiting game. Candy Box is so much better and has a lot of rea land varied gameplay in it. I'm not going to say "Cookie Clicker is not a game" because gently caress those people who try to quantify what is game, but Candy Box has so much more going for it in every single respect.

http://candies.aniwey.net/

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cookie dungeons are going in soon though :v

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
Anyone playing the superhero Puzzle Quest game? So far I'm finding that the IAPs are not necessary as long as I don't mind grinding a bit for the battle rewards (still in Chapter 1). But I have a question about the purchasable heroes. Would I be right in thinking I wouldn't be able to develop them for free like I have been able to for Storm/Iron Man? I'd have to keep buying covers with the crystals or coins for them if I want to gain their powers?

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Shwqa posted:

Man the tier 4 dungeon is in infinity blade 3 is worse for grinding than the tier 3. The girl with lock pick 2 had like 4 chest in rapid fire she could unlock. Tier 4 has 1 after about 6 fights.

Edit: Never mind there are 2 uber unlocked chest. Basically the same rewards as a medium chest but without requiring a key.

Edit2: Death do count as moving your crafting bar forward. When you die to a boss you "lose" 2-4 hours. So your crafting bars raise by that much.

I personally think the huge jump in stats from the blacksmith justify the wait a little. As soon as he's done it's pretty much a guarantee that I'll be able to break through where I've been stuck.

I'm a little pissed I can't restart the story at will any more, I really liked the intro and it's helpful being able to level weaker equipment without having to spam the 'go back one difficulty' option several times. That said, I'm way more pissed that they decided to make healing potions way more awkward to obtain.

I'm surprised I've been able to get as far as I have on the first day though (my current wall is the fight with the worker of secrets in his weird rocket bay). It took me considerably more grinding and butting my head against a wall to get (comparably) that much progress on IB2.

I know it's super early days here but has anyone here beaten the story? How long is it?

Edit: when do I get to revisit earlier locations?

Sad lions fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Sep 19, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think this is also the first Angry Birds game that's :siren: Universal :siren:

And the obvious answer is because the real money for the game is the toy figures you can buy to cheat your way.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
On my iPad 3 the load time to boot into infinity blade 3 is loving horrible. Also the load to bring up a daily challenge? Many screen turned off. Anyone else see this or is there something that I can do to fix it? I haven't upgraded to ios 7 from the latest version of 6 yet. I heard a bunch of games didn't work on 7 so I was waiting.

Any recommendations for levelling yet? Or do we have a new thread for infinity blade?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Leveling for IB3 is a little different from the previous iterations because you unlock skills as you level up your different attributes.

Its also loving horrible and laggy on my ipad 3 so I'm definitely going to have to step that up in the future.

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004

Project1 posted:

Anyone playing the superhero Puzzle Quest game? So far I'm finding that the IAPs are not necessary as long as I don't mind grinding a bit for the battle rewards (still in Chapter 1). But I have a question about the purchasable heroes. Would I be right in thinking I wouldn't be able to develop them for free like I have been able to for Storm/Iron Man? I'd have to keep buying covers with the crystals or coins for them if I want to gain their powers?

What is this game called? I haven't heard anything about it and I've been on a Marvel kick lately and loved the first PQ (couldn't get into the second one for some reason).

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Cloudchaos posted:

What is this game called? I haven't heard anything about it and I've been on a Marvel kick lately and loved the first PQ (couldn't get into the second one for some reason).

Yes, please, people, post an appshopper link to the game when you ask questions like that.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Cloudchaos posted:

I found something called "Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign" on google but not seeing anything in the app store.

If it's anything like PQ1 sign me the gently caress up.

e: Available only in the Phillipines? :confused:

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 19, 2013

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time

Cloudchaos posted:

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign. "Marvel Puzzle Quest" has it as the only search result.

Bummey posted:

Yes, please, people, post an appshopper link to the game when you ask questions like that.

I don't see the point in insisting that people always use a particular site when talking about games, when that site doesn't even have every game in the app store.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I don't live in the Phillipines. :confused:

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Project1 posted:

I don't see the point in insisting that people always use a particular site when talking about games, when that site doesn't even have every game in the app store.

Oh, for gently caress's sake, you know what I mean.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I'm not seeing anything. All links i'm finding are based in the Phillipines. Specifically https://itunes.apple.com/ph/app/marvel-puzzle-quest-dark-reign/id618349779 keeps popping up.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I'm not seeing anything. All links i'm finding are based in the Phillipines. Specifically https://itunes.apple.com/ph/app/marvel-puzzle-quest-dark-reign/id618349779 keeps popping up.

I got it from the Australian store. I guess Americans and others don't get it, at least yet. Pity, it's decent enough for a free game. I wouldn't spend money on it, but I haven't yet felt like I need to, to get anywhere.

Black Bo[X]
Feb 18, 2001

Been playing Battle Camp but I have to echo everyone’s comments that while the UI and ascetics are great the way they’ve implemented the monetization is too far on the sleazy side of the spectrum.

It’s too bad because I really dig the whole team building + match 3 combo but I can’t seem to get into Puzzle and Dragons. I’ve tried a bunch of clones but any decent one seems seem to either be poorly supported (lack of events and players) or too heavy on the IAP to be fun.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

ihatepants posted:

The grind is pad is also just as bad or worse, because you have to collect poo poo on certain days of the week or on a single day, so if you miss out you have to wait until the next time it comes around.

Okay, hold it right there. Stop, turn, and explain what I am missing here.

In PAD, you have scheduled events in which evolution materials can drop. There are different tiers for common and rare materials, so you don't have to brave nasty dungeons to get stuff to evolve your weaker monsters. The evolve materials also appear in early dungeons, color-coded so you can aim for the right ones, and weaker monsters don't require much in the way of materials to evolve:

* Monster leveled up.
* A couple of masks or sprites or dragon-dungeon drops, which are relatively common if you go looking for them.
* A bit of gold.

In Battle Camp, I'm at level 13 right now and have a grand total of six rares so far. Two of these I had to give away for a dinky quest reward. Penny says "Evolve one of your rares." Sure. What do I need to evolve one of my remaining four?

* Monster leveled up, check.
* Another copy of the same rare monster (so that's EIGHT matching puzzle pieces in all)
* Four Special monsters of its color (with a miniscule appear rate for any color, much less the color you need). One of which Sgt. Assfire is demanding as a donation to make the quest line progress, so that's five blue ones that need to drop.
* 2500 coins. I have about 3500 saved up from this character's entire lifetime, so evolving more than one will take a metric buttload of time.

And that's the FIRST and lowest tier monster that you can evolve. I shudder to think what it takes if you have an Ultra or something.

Oh, that donation? "Use the Donate Help Grab to help find Special monsters." I click the Help button. It takes me to a machine that costs 25 gold per try. 30 gold is only $2.99 for a LIMITED TIME!

:what:

quote:

There's no event right now, so you guys can't really see for yourselves just yet... but you can always join a clan/make your own to try the raid system and get the rewards for completing those.

We started the first one of these today, High Tides, Low Low Prices. It appears that the prize for spending a lot of group energy beating down arbitrary walls over five stages is... one puzzle piece.

:what: :what: :what:

Still playing because I want to see how deep this rabbit hole goes, but...

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

delfin posted:

We started the first one of these today, High Tides, Low Low Prices. It appears that the prize for spending a lot of group energy beating down arbitrary walls over five stages is... one puzzle piece.

:what: :what: :what:

Still playing because I want to see how deep this rabbit hole goes, but...

Just do the event 6 times and you get one decent monster. :v:

Meanwhile in PAD land, I'm enjoying the free monster they gave out today (with a free premium currency) that has the stats and ability of a god. And last event they also give out a monster with a leadership ability of a god.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Shwqa posted:

Actually you get a piece of a decent monster. The rarer it is, the more pieces it requires. I have 1/2 monsters and 1/4 monsters. Who knows what this one will be.
:eng101:

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Shwqa posted:

Meanwhile in PAD land, I'm enjoying the free monster they gave out today (with a free premium currency) that has the stats and ability of a god. And last event they also give out a monster with a leadership ability of a god.

You still have to evolve the Droid twice, even if it's XP curve is gentle and the evo mats easy to scrape together, so it's not like "Here is a Shiva for you, no fine print." But yeah it's nice. (Who was the previous monster they gave out?)

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Thirst Mutilator posted:

You still have to evolve the Droid twice, even if it's XP curve is gentle and the evo mats easy to scrape together, so it's not like "Here is a Shiva for you, no fine print." But yeah it's nice. (Who was the previous monster they gave out?)

Snowglobe Noel who work really well the droid they gave out (who Googles the enemy's weakness and put their defense at zero :3:)

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Thirst Mutilator posted:

The noels. You got a 'random' egg drop from a dungeon you couldn't lose and it evolved into one of a RGB noel monster. Decent active ability attack, and gave 2xhp, 2xrcv, which is the same as the angel gods. You can use that with a good team and helper to beat quite a few endgame decendeds. Or you could feed the monster for 1.5mil exp to the same colour creatures, which is a hell of a lot of exp. Seem to come around twice a year.

*I say random, but the monsters only attack is to say something which coordinated to what color it was.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bummey posted:

Gear Score :words:

Thank you for the information and making me glad I never played WoW. That sounds like one of the worst things possible, adding a thick layer of stupid elitism on top of the shitcake that is most online communities.

The droid monster's wonderful in PAD. Only took 5 runs of the thursday dungeon to get 3 Dragon Fruit so I could evolve it from the base form to its ultimate. One of the special dungeons running currently has a boss with 600,000 defense on the hardest difficulty but very little HP. The droidragon monster's final form has a skill that reduces all enemy defense to 0 for 1 round. I do not think this is coincidence on Gungho's part.

Battle Camp sounds like unbridled IAP grinding nightmares.

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

Are clashmobs just down in IB3 for now or something? There were some yesterday and they vanished. Anyways, IB3 is great, if you like that kinda thing.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Regarding IB3: did I just imagine that earlier they said you'd be able to replay stages with whoever you wanted after initially beating them or what?
Completed it once already and that little feature seems completely absent.
Kinda blows that if I want to play through an area again I either have to beat the (increasingly difficult) game again with my current characters or start from scratch. That is unless there's a 'reset story' option I'm missing somewhere.
I did that all the time in 1 and 2. It seems really weird to remove that choice.

I assumed when I saw it was gone that they'd instead give you free reign of the world map after you beat everything... but no, not that either.

(This annoyance comes mostly from actually liking the little story they've got going on and it's a drat shame I can't run through at my leisure)

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Sefirah went free. I don't remember putting it on my wish list but hey free game? It's a sort of Battleheart clone that may or may not be terrible, I've only played about five minutes of it.

I liked Battleheart a lot :(

http://appshopper.com/games/sefirah

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Well I beat infinity blade 3, it was surprisingly short. Though it is longer than the 2nd game, you don't have to grind nearly as much, thanks to bosses giving you storyline weapons. The storyline doesn't make a lot of sense and it felt like it was missing a chapter or two. I didn't even use the blacksmith or gem cutter and was only on rebirth 6.

Best part was of the ending was the the terrible out of placed pop song. I couldn't stop laughing, make sure you have the sound on for that.

Edit: I'm going to complain about the story in the "little things dragging this game down" thread if you want know my beefs with the story. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460051&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=173

Edit2: holy poo poo I completely misread the ending of infinity blade. The someone of the official forum pointed it is misleading until you read the achievement you received after the end . you don't kill the worker of secrets, you wiped his memory and he is the child at the end. that is why that chip is with your hidden memories

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 20, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

What the gently caress is happening? Why can't I stop clicking on these cookies? Is there some kind of bizarre psychological trick happening? Because cookie tapper would make some money I think.

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

The ending of IB3 is cheesy as gently caress.

While it's cool that there are a bunch of locations, every location is really shallow. The 2nd playthrough doesn't seem to unlock anything new. I hope they put in some non-hat content with future updates.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Sidpret posted:

The ending of IB3 is cheesy as gently caress.

While it's cool that there are a bunch of locations, every location is really shallow. The 2nd playthrough doesn't seem to unlock anything new. I hope they put in some non-hat content with future updates.

That song rocks in every single way (except in being a legitimate good song). However I wish the gem cutter wore a fedora, then he could be a least ironically funny.

Edit: :siren:Heads up IB3 players that aren't using 7.0 :siren: Don't update with tonight's update

"Tonight we will release an Infinity Blade 3 update that supports 64-bit performance on the new iPhone 5s and makes the game look even more amazing! Due to the known issue with Apple’s resigning process, it will also temporarily change the required iOS for future IB3 users to iOS 7.0.

If you are still running a version of iOS 6, we strongly encourage you to update to iOS 7 before the update goes live tonight. If you choose to continue using iOS 6, you will still be able to play the current version of the game, but will not be able to install future updates in the short term. If you are on iOS 7, you will receive the update automatically if you have that feature enabled. We do recommend this update for all users.

We will release another update to resume full support for iOS 6.0 and later next month when the resigning issue has been resolved. Future free content updates for IB3 will be re-scheduled to take place when content can be enjoyed by all users.

As part of tonight's update, we are also including some fixes and optimizations for the game. These include improvements to minor server load issues that have caused some users to experience longer load times during App startup and the inability to purchase additional currency. This update is recommended for all users.

We appreciate your patience and all your great feedback on Infinity Blade 3!"

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 20, 2013

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I found something called "Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign" on google but not seeing anything in the app store.

If it's anything like PQ1 sign me the gently caress up.

It's available in New Zealand too.

On that note, how do I create an account in another country? itunes always asks me for billing information.

e: nvm, I just have to select free instead of any credit cards.

mania fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What the gently caress is happening? Why can't I stop clicking on these cookies? Is there some kind of bizarre psychological trick happening? Because cookie tapper would make some money I think.

I know. I just thank god that it's free and not monetized somehow. Come join us in the cookie clicker thread to discuss our crippling addiction.

A few new things popped up that look pretty interesting.

Bravura Quest which looks like Nimble Quest from the side.

Space Qube which has a voxel builder thingy that can be made into 3d prints?!

Incredipede has also made the jump to iOS. I really should finish the version I have on PC... but I could be doing it while I poop! I might pick up one of these tonight.

quote:

This one's showing up in the Australian App store but it's been out since april and has a 1.5 star rating. Take that as you will.

• Locked thread