Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Are local stunts a more effective means of advertising than TV spots in Japan, maybe? It's a smal country and Nintendo does tend to act like the entire world is Japan, so... is that an explanation?

I've never been to Japan, I'm grasping at straws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Now I'm curious to know how much that costs and if it's comparable to what a TV spot would be. Stuff like these fancy wrappers around Super Mario Galaxy footage all cost money. Nintendo goes through ad agencies like Leo Burnett to come up with the concept and then a video post-house to produce it. And that's simply to put up some videos on their YouTube channel. And everybody in the chain needs to be paid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-71-rxxo0w

I don't know the specifics of the Luigi campaign so I can't give exact details. I can tell you that a week long campaign for 3 (was it 5?) trains on a single line starts at 500k which doesn't include art-assets (a similar car deal cost about 750k all said and done after asset creation and campaign monitoring was included). For comparison's sake, a national TV buy on cable for a single week will typically cost about 1-1.5 million and if you get flexible with dayparts/programming you can include some network primetime in there.

Now the much more damning thing is that the Green Line is in fact a terrible goddamn line to advertise on because I can name only about 4 stops of the 20+ it services that would even be in the target demo range. I assume Nintendo was banking using the loop as a mobile billboard platform but that's really dumb given that during the mornings people don't see any other trains go by if they don't ride the green. During the day of course, nobody looks at the loop because its suspended above the road or way below peoples offices at non-prime viewing angles even assuming they face that direction or they're at, you know, they're jobs elsewhere.

I guess what I'm trying to say is unless they got huge kickbacks from Chicago Transit Authority or something I can't fathom why Nintendo authorized that buy.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 18, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Astro Nut posted:

I mentioned it before, but the only ads I've seen Wii U wise is on youtube, specifically for Sonic Lost World and Pikmin 3. Otherwise, I literally have not seen a single ad for a Wii U game that isn't from Amazon because I've been browsing stuff in advance. I may not watch TV as much as when I was little, but I still watch stuff around the dinner table with my family - heck, my Dad's recently taken to putting on whatever Sci-fi show happens to be on at that point. Yet he doesn't know the Wii U has any games at all, let alone a bunch of upcoming releases or one of the most critically acclaimed platformers of the years.

And having been over at a University bar lately, the thought occurs to me - why isn't Nintendo advertising during major sports matches? I get its pricey to have one of those LED boards at football matches for even a couple of minutes - but that's all you need for people to know something exists. And given the sheer viewership of something like the Premier League...
As far as I know, Nintendo only advertises their software on kids networks like Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network. The problem is that an 8 year old kid is as likely to confuse Wii U for Wii as a parent is, so it's now a double-length telephone game. But ads for Pikmin 3 and Animal Crossing: New Leaf have aired exclusively on those networks (and SatAM programming) and not any other network or timeslot.

If you watch sporting events, you'll find quickly that American football is Microsoft's domain and international futbol is Sony's domain. In fact, this season Xbox is The Official Game Console of the NFL (dunno how much that had to have cost). Playstation is the official console of the premiere league, but I don't believe they've begun their Playstation 4 ad campaign yet. But the infrastructure's already in place for both companies to aggressively blitz after millions of 18-49 year olds, the overwhelming majority of whom are either gamers or are parents of gamers.

Nintendo doesn't even have a toe in this door, and it seems like they don't want to try. Which is kind of odd since they do sponsor the Seattle Mariners in MLB. But they just don't advertise in primetime in general.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Barudak posted:

I don't know the specifics of the Luigi campaign so I can't give exact details. I can tell you that a week long campaign for 3 (was it 5?) trains on a single line starts at 500k which doesn't include art-assets (a similar car deal cost about 750k all said and done after asset creation and campaign monitoring was included). For comparison's sake, a national TV buy on cable for a single week will typically cost about 1-1.5 million and if you get flexible with dayparts/programming you can include some network primetime in there.

Now the much more damning thing is that the Green Line is in fact a terrible goddamn line to advertise on because I can name only about 4 stops of the 20+ it services that would even be in the target demo range. I assume Nintendo was banking using the loop as a mobile billboard platform but that's really dumb given that during the mornings people don't see any other trains go by if they don't ride the green. During the day of course, nobody looks at the loop because its suspended above the road or way below peoples offices at non-prime viewing angles even assuming they face that direction or they're at, you know, they're jobs elsewhere.

I guess what I'm trying to say is unless they got huge kickbacks from Chicago Transit Authority or something I can't fathom why Nintendo authorized that buy.

It was two cars on the Chicago Brown Line actually.

I work in video post-production, so while I am not familiar with TV buy costs, production of a TV spot with a shoot can easily cost 200K for just the production/post work at the cheapest. Plus agency is going to take a large chunk of change too. And that's not even getting into the media buy.

A train wrap seems cheaper, but not nearly as much reach obviously

Quest For Glory II posted:

Which is kind of odd since they do sponsor the Seattle Mariners in MLB. But they just don't advertise in primetime in general.

They are partial owners of the Mariners I believe. Hence the tie in with Ken Griffey Jr for 3 games.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I don't know if anyone else remembers this, I can't find it in the IGN news archives but in the fall of 2004 Nintendo did a little PR event stunt where they had one of their costumed Mario mascots and a bunch of employees help put together doors for charity to promote Thousand Year Door which had just been released.

IGN didn't just report on the stunt but seemed oddly pissed that Nintendo was doing it at all when they could have "spent that money advertising Metroid Prime 2 more" if I remember their wording correctly. They took the took the time to turn what was a pretty standard fluff piece into an editorial on how they were upset Nintendo wasn't putting everything they had into trying to (futilely) compete with Microsoft and the Halo 2 hype train that was at an all time high around that fall.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

If you watch sporting events, you'll find quickly that American football is Microsoft's domain and international futbol is Sony's domain. In fact, this season Xbox is The Official Game Console of the NFL (dunno how much that had to have cost). Playstation is the official console of the premiere league, but I don't believe they've begun their Playstation 4 ad campaign yet.

Sony's also got the Champions League, and that is the most important yearly soccer event in the world.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The first XBox One commercial doesn't even show any games, it just focuses on fantasy football bullshit

http://www.youtubeskip.com/watch?v=XmD0vPOd5Rk

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Astro7x posted:

The first XBox One commercial doesn't even show any games, it just focuses on fantasy football bullshit

And yet it's a commercial that exists. What's your point?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

OatmealRaisin posted:

And yet it's a commercial that exists. What's your point?

How they're positioning themselves to be The Official Game Console of the NFL

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Astro7x posted:

Which is still a greater effort towards getting knowledge of the system's very existence out to the general public than Nintendo marketing the Wii U through Nintendo Directs to be The Official Game Console of Nintendo Fans Who Already Bought One.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Astro7x posted:

It creates awareness on a mass scale, especially when you flood every tv network with it, and double especially during major live events.

Painting a train for a day doesn't.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Microsoft is a 5 year sponsor of the NFL. All teams now use Surfaces and Microsoft products. Its kind of smart really, because Live TV is one of the few opportunities to reach viewers without worrying about ad ignorance and they've loving plastered the stadiums with advertising.

Astro7x posted:

It was two cars on the Chicago Brown Line actually.

I work in video post-production, so while I am not familiar with TV buy costs, production of a TV spot with a shoot can easily cost 200K for just the production/post work at the cheapest. Plus agency is going to take a large chunk of change too. And that's not even getting into the media buy.

A train wrap seems cheaper, but not nearly as much reach obviously

They are partial owners of the Mariners I believe. Hence the tie in with Ken Griffey Jr for 3 games.

Brown? I thought it was the Green line to tie into Luigi but if its Brown that makes worlds more sense. You're right, I assumed they had already a produced TV spot but whoops I forgot they probably don't. Either way like you said its cheaper but it doesn't reach enough and when you're already flailing reaching less when you could reach more seems foolish. Especially when a bunch of the impressions on the train are totally wasted.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
It's kind of neat. You can't miss the thing when you see it, that's for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCJHHTp4QuE

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Do you guys think that the 2DS might be testing the waters a bit for how the market would take a possible Wii U system without the gamepad?
How long might the 2DS have been in development for?
Unrelated, but going back and reading old articles about the Wii U is quite enlightening. The system had clear issues even before launching.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The_Frag_Man posted:

Do you guys think that the 2DS might be testing the waters a bit for how the market would take a possible Wii U system without the gamepad?
How long might the 2DS have been in development for?
Unrelated, but going back and reading old articles about the Wii U is quite enlightening. The system had clear issues even before launching.

I don't think the two are in any way relatable. There's no 3DS game for which 3D is mandatory.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Reminder that the first SKU for the NES came with a loving robot and a gun, and several launch titles required one of those things, yet Nintendo didn't hesitate to yank them out when it made sense to.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe Nintendo could include a gun with the WiiU, and claim Microsoft and Sony don't believe in the second amendment. That'd surely get some sales.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

Kevyn posted:

Reminder that the first SKU for the NES came with a loving robot and a gun, and several launch titles required one of those things, yet Nintendo didn't hesitate to yank them out when it made sense to.

The robot was there to market the system as a straight up toy so it would actually make it onto store shelves in the aftermath of Atari's collapse.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

greatn posted:

Maybe Nintendo could include a gun with the WiiU, and claim Microsoft and Sony don't believe in the second amendment. That'd surely get some sales.

All of that and the terminology Nintendo stuck with up to the Wii and GBA for their stuff (Control Deck, Game Pak, Zapper instead of lightgun, calling them "Entertainment System" and such, Robot Operating Buddy, etc.) were done so that they could actually sell the thing in stores as a toy instead of a "video game" because the crash had just happened and the only place any retailer was putting a "video game" of any kind was in a $4.99 bargain bin.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Kevyn posted:

Yeah, but there's no reason why they can't make the tablet a separate peripheral to be used only by some games like Motion+, Kinect or PS Move. There are definitely games that require it, but there are also plenty of games that don't (or in the event that they do you can get around it by popping it up on screen, ala W101).

That said, I don't think it would be any kind of magical panacea for the system as with PS4/Xbone moving console hardware forward to such a degree developers would still be backporting their games to run on old hardware and anyone with a choice is going to pick the PS4/Xbox version.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Which is kind of odd since they do sponsor the Seattle Mariners in MLB.

They don't sponsor the Mariners, the partially own them and only because they were looking to build some local goodwill during Japan's bubble era and the team was up for sale, looking like it might move, etc.

WeaponBoy posted:

Yeah, but there's no reason why they can't make the tablet a separate peripheral to be used only by some games like Motion+, Kinect or PS Move. There are definitely games that require it, but there are also plenty of games that don't (or in the event that they do you can get around it by popping it up on screen, ala W101).

For the same reason I always say, because if you take out the tablet all you have is a PS3 with Move (well, a 360 with Move, but you can't really tell that on the user's end) and hey, PS3s with Move are gonna be a lot cheaper than Wii Us in a year or two and with a bigger library to boot.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Cliff Racer posted:

and hey, PS3s with Move are gonna be a lot cheaper than Wii Us in a year or two and with a bigger library to boot.

As of right now I can get a new super slim 500gb PS3 with the Move starter pack and GTA5 on Amazon for £240. Pre-order for the Deluxe Wii U with WW remake is £250.

To be fair the Wii U is genuinely quicker than the PS3/360 generation, but it's far too late to compete with them. The Bone and PS4 are both a big jump ahead.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

The_Frag_Man posted:

You should try to track down some of this forum's threads on the Wii U from around the time of its unveiling. The line between optimism and delusion was not only crossed, but liberally pissed on. I still remember arguments about how the PS4 and Xbox720 would see diminishing returns with their superior hardware, allowing the U to be competitive with them if not quite as glossy.

Whoops.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
If the tablet is so integral to the console maybe they should use it for something more exciting than a car horn or a fart button :shrug:

As it is, a PS3/360 with Move is better and cheaper than what they're currently offering.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That was just an early build for a demo. You can't really assume that's all it will be used for.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

greatn posted:

That was just an early build for a demo. You can't really assume that's all it will be used for.

What can they do with that won't compromise local multiplayer?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Edmund Honda posted:

It'll probably be similar to Sonic Transformed where four players can play on the television while the fifth player is on the Gamepad. It'll also be similar in having a dedicated map too. Those are my guesses. My guesses are incredibly generic with no creative thought.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Edmund Honda posted:

The gamepad player is Lakitu. In single player you can hold multiple weapons and handle inventory as well as more precise aiming on the touchpad.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Almost Smart posted:

You should try to track down some of this forum's threads on the Wii U from around the time of its unveiling. The line between optimism and delusion was not only crossed, but liberally pissed on. I still remember arguments about how the PS4 and Xbox720 would see diminishing returns with their superior hardware, allowing the U to be competitive with them if not quite as glossy.

Whoops.

And before the Wii U launched there was a lot of hype, worry about not being able to get a console unless you reserved it, stores selling out of their pre-orders way in advance of the systems launch, etc. Then the Christmas was over and there were no new games, and interest just dropped drastically.

Nobody really knows how the XBO or PS4 will perform after the initial hype and early adopters get the thing. We are also getting a lot of games that will still be released for the PS3/360 like Assassins Creed, Watchdogs and Battlefield 4, plus exclusives like Beyond, Arkham Origins, Ratchet & Clank and the recently released GTA5. I think there is a possibility that those games will satisfy a lot of gamers and significantly delay purchasing the PS4/XBO until there are more games.

Sony is looking to indie developers to fill in the gap between the systems launch and new actual system selling games come out. They are predicting 5 Million PS4s sold by March 2014, which seems like a very bold prediction considering their release calendar is pretty vacant from now until then.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Somebody must have briefed Hiroshi Yamauchi on how the Wii U was performing. RIP, you evil genius.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Astro7x posted:

Sony is looking to indie developers to fill in the gap between the systems launch and new actual system selling games come out. They are predicting 5 Million PS4s sold by March 2014, which seems like a very bold prediction considering their release calendar is pretty vacant from now until then.

Second Son looks pretty amazing for a game that early in a system's lifespan but I dunno how big of a mover infamous is. Probably not that big...

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yamauchi owns 10% of Nintendo stock, so depending on his sons disposition Nintendo policy changing is a possibility.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Astro7x posted:

And before the Wii U launched there was a lot of hype, worry about not being able to get a console unless you reserved it, stores selling out of their pre-orders way in advance of the systems launch, etc. Then the Christmas was over and there were no new games, and interest just dropped drastically.
Not to mention the real kicker, how bad lag was, apparently even when offline for some of the ports (Epic Mickey 2 sticks out in my mind for this.)

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Astro7x posted:

They are predicting 5 Million PS4s sold by March 2014, which seems like a very bold prediction considering their release calendar is pretty vacant from now until then.

Well, that's including the later Japan launch. So say 2.5m in preorders/launch week sales, then the Christmas bump, plus launching against the Bone? Doesn't seem unreasonable.

edit: I'll say it again because it doesn't get any less amusing: remember Nintendo are predicting 9m Wii Us sold this financial year. Currently at what, 300k? after 5 months.

Edmund Honda fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 19, 2013

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Edmund Honda posted:

Well, that's including the later Japan launch. So say 2.5m in preorders/launch week sales, then the Christmas bump, plus launching against the Bone? Doesn't seem unreasonable.

Just so you have some perspective on launch week sales from what I was able to google.

Wii U: 400K (US - First week)
Wii: 600K (US - First 8 days)
PS3: 197K (US - First 2 weeks)
360: 326K (US - First 2 weeks)
PS2: 500K (US - First Weekend), 600K (Japan - First Day), 1 million (Japan - First Week)

2.5 million would be incredibly tough without running into shortages. Sony has said that their pre-orders are up to 1 million, but who knows how many of those pre-orders will be fulfilled at launch.

Anyways... I guess my point of my post was that I am just skeptical of it meeting those expectations for March 2014 when all the top next gen games based on pre-order estimates are all going to be available for the PS3/360 too.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Titanfall is number 10? What the hell, with how everyone was talking about it I was expecting it to actually sell. I mean gently caress, Knack, loving KNACK, has more preorders?

oh didn't realize that, ok then that is a decent number.
VVVVV

abagofcheetos fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 19, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

abagofcheetos posted:

Titanfall is number 10? What the hell, with how everyone was talking about it I was expecting it to actually sell. I mean gently caress, Knack, loving KNACK, has more preorders?

Its not a launch title. Its slated to come out in Q1 or later of 2014. The fact that it has this many pre-orders this early is bit of a positive.

It also has more pre-orders than Wonderful 101 sold games.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
I'm surprised that Madden has more pre-orders than Fifa.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

pisshead posted:

Is FIFA big in the US, thought they didn't give much of a gently caress about soccer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to
^^^ Fifa sells decently in the US, and 13 was pretty solid, but no it's not Madden numbers.

pisshead posted:

Maybe those figures are just for NA?

edit: It's gotta be something like that, Fifa 13 sold ~4.5 million units worldwide after like a week.

Gotta Wear Shades fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 19, 2013

• Locked thread