Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Perch by TomOlson, on Flickr

American by TomOlson, on Flickr

Untitled by TomOlson, on Flickr

Untitled by TomOlson, on Flickr

RangerScum fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

VendaGoat posted:

Taken on Highway 1 In California.

The white balance and/or saturation looks a little odd... the super-cyan sky, the purple fringing (in the second shot)... were they taken with a retro digital camera?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Gambl0r posted:

The white balance and/or saturation looks a little odd... the super-cyan sky, the purple fringing (in the second shot)... were they taken with a retro digital camera?

I think I should explain myself. I understand your concern, as you are not the first to mention it.

I agree with you, it's um, a little too much color. Here's the original exposure, on the second one. The curve of the road, the look of the trees. It reminded me of terrain pieces I have created before.

It's been scaled done to 1000, and then saved optimized for web. Just like my edit.

So, why did I want it to look that way?

The best way I can describe this is as such; This is what my memory of the place looks like. This is me trying to show the emotions I felt at the time. Elation, fun, a lust for life. I had made it to the west coast, San Francisco, "Frisco". I got to see and drive the Golden gate bridge. I walked up Hyde street, all the way to Geary street, and down to the Hotel California, Best Western. I was near the end of the one, on its northern part. It's a drive, that blew a Pittsburgh Person's mind. When I dream of that drive, this is where I dream about.

It's too focused, it's too surreal. In my opinion, it's too, idealistic, and that's what I always notice in the dream.
Ok, so there is the art behind it. The other hand, that's what I want it to look like. What would you do with it?

I would not mind, I'd even encourage you, to take a shot at that picture yourself. Message me with it, if you want to. Other's opinions, on what something should look like, are just as valid. Isn't that part of the "fun" we are doing? Same picture, Varied reactions.

But, you need to get a reaction.

If you also want the camera it's a http://store.sony.com/p/DSC-H50/en/p/DSCH50

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The color is fine, but the over sharpening literally hurts my eyes.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

VendaGoat posted:

I think I should explain myself. I understand your concern, as you are not the first to mention it.

I agree with you, it's um, a little too much color. Here's the original exposure, on the second one. The curve of the road, the look of the trees. It reminded me of terrain pieces I have created before.

It's been scaled done to 1000, and then saved optimized for web. Just like my edit.

The best way I can describe this is as such; This is what my memory of the place looks like. This is me trying to show the emotions I felt at the time. Elation, fun, a lust for life. I had made it to the west coast, San Francisco, "Frisco". I got to see and drive the Golden gate bridge. I walked up Hyde street, all the way to Geary street, and down to the Hotel California, Best Western. I was near the end of the one, on its northern part. It's a drive, that blew a Pittsburgh Person's mind. When I dream of that drive, this is where I dream about.

It's too focused, it's too surreal. In my opinion, it's too, idealistic, and that's what I always notice in the dream.
Ok, so there is the art behind it. The other hand, that's what I want it to look like. What would you do with it?

I would not mind, I'd even encourage you, to take a shot at that picture yourself. Message me with it, if you want to. Other's opinions, on what something should look like, are just as valid. Isn't that part of the "fun" we are doing? Same picture, Varied reactions.

If that's your memory then let me know what sorta drugs you were on cause that looks like a pretty bad trip.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Point Beach State Forest by g.hetzel, on Flickr

Point Beach State Forest by g.hetzel, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

I like that one.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Haven't followed this thread in awhile, but it looks like you finally got to Iceland! Awesome stuff.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

VendaGoat posted:

You are literally a walking terrible artist statement. shut up. And your photos suck too

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Musket posted:

You are literally a walking terrible artist statement. shut up. And your photos suck too

Not all true, the misty shot of the beach is pretty neat.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Pic dump!

IMG_7608.jpg by Winston85, on Flickr

IMG_7563.jpg by Winston85, on Flickr

0033_###.jpg by Winston85, on Flickr

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

Mightaswell posted:

Pic dump!

0033_###.jpg by Winston85, on Flickr

I love this one except for the blur on the left which makes me feel like I have floaters in my eyeballs.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Musket posted:

Thank you for your opinion.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

Musket posted:

What a loving awful thing to say.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

VendaGoat posted:

I much prefer the original. I understand that you have this idealized view of your trip, but maybe there's ways to show us that other than cranking the saturation slider? The cyans are seriously distracting IMO.

edit: also, your writing makes you sound like you're trying way too hard to be deep.

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 19, 2013

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

MrBlandAverage posted:

I much prefer the original. I understand that you have this idealized view of your trip, but maybe there's ways to show us that other than cranking the saturation slider? The cyans are seriously distracting IMO.

edit: also, your writing makes you sound like you're trying way too hard to be deep.

You are more than free to travel to Highway One, driving from San Francisco to Eureka, passing that bridge along the way. Taking your own photograph of it and editing it, however you see fit.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Why are you posting, VendaGoat? If you want someone to hold your hand and share in your memories have a slideshow at home with a captive audience who won't say anything mean.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

VendaGoat posted:

You are more than free to travel to Highway One, driving from San Francisco to Eureka, passing that bridge along the way. Taking your own photograph of it and editing it, however you see fit.

If you can't handle constructive criticism :frogout:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

dukeku posted:

Why are you posting, VendaGoat? If you want someone to hold your hand and share in your memories have a slideshow at home with a captive audience who won't say anything mean.

You posted something good in another thread.

As for opinions. I have no problem with them expressing themselves. It's art, it's subjective.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

MrBlandAverage posted:

Sorry for piling on, VendaGoat, but I agree with everyone except for that one jerk. Try not to get defensive as a result; most of us aren't trying to be mean or haughty at all. The sharpening is definitely painful, and -- speaking as someone who likes contrast -- there's too much contrast. It really is painful to look at the photos. I also agree that the third photo is the best, artistically.

My aim is usually to make the a photograph reflect the actual view as much as possible, so it sounds like our ideals may be opposed, but here's what I would suggest: don't edit anything. Shoot in RAW so that you can edit later, but try to get the scene the way you want it just by changing Aperture/Shutter/ISO. Tying into the previous conversation, it's the digital world so take a shitload of pictures with different settings and see what you like. Take tens of thousands of photographs, wait for the light to make interesting scenes instead of trying to make things interesting in post. Then start processing.

I've been shooting for a scant 7 years now, and only recently started doing things in Lightroom. I still worry that I'm overdoing it, and one thing that has not changed is that my absolute favorite photos are still those photos that needed exactly zero post-processing.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

VendaGoat posted:

As for opinions. I have no problem with them expressing themselves. It's art, it's subjective.

You're sticking your fingers in your ears and saying "LALALALALALA ART." Also, that post dukeku linked to is terrible and wrong, which is why it's in that thread.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Here's some constructive criticism: stop posting.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

vote_no posted:

Sorry for piling on, VendaGoat, but I agree with everyone except for that one jerk. Try not to get defensive as a result; most of us aren't trying to be mean or haughty at all. The sharpening is definitely painful, and -- speaking as someone who likes contrast -- there's too much contrast. It really is painful to look at the photos. I also agree that the third photo is the best, artistically.

My aim is usually to make the a photograph reflect the actual view as much as possible, so it sounds like our ideals may be opposed, but here's what I would suggest: don't edit anything. Shoot in RAW so that you can edit later, but try to get the scene the way you want it just by changing Aperture/Shutter/ISO. Tying into the previous conversation, it's the digital world so take a shitload of pictures with different settings and see what you like. Take tens of thousands of photographs, wait for the light to make interesting scenes instead of trying to make things interesting in post. Then start processing.

I've been shooting for a scant 7 years now, and only recently started doing things in Lightroom. I still worry that I'm overdoing it, and one thing that has not changed is that my absolute favorite photos are still those photos that needed exactly zero post-processing.

No, by all means, I want you to express yourselves. I don't mind the opinions, even the negative ones.

You're absolutely correct that our aims are in diametric opposition. I've already been taking plenty of shots, of the same thing, in different lighting, different seasons, take your pic. I'm bored of making things look like themselves. I've seen a white bridge on a road before. I've seen sea lions basking before. The grand canyon was nice, but how many shots of it can you take, that look sufficiently different?

I'm sick of seeing normal.

You guys are allowed to have your opinion of what is and isn't art/photography. If you don't like my interpretation, you could ignore it, as I'm sure you would any other low craft. If you want to comment though, good or bad, I'll listen and thank you for taking the time to tell me what you think. I'm allowed to make a picture look however I want, you're allowed to tell me whatever you want about it.

It's a photo guys.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

VendaGoat posted:

I'm sick of seeing normal.

You should try Photomatix. Just peg all the sliders, it'll be right up your alley.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Is this an elaborate troll where you try to be "different" from good photographers by intentionally producing garbage?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I'd heartily appreciate it if this didn't go the way of the street thread and end up with me having to close it and probate everyone, because that's real tedious.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Quick, post pictures!

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

vote_no posted:

Quick, post pictures!

DONE!

And I like your Post Picture. :D

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Vic Alfonso, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

VendaGoat posted:

That's the ironic internet photographer garbage thread.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Mightaswell posted:

That's the ironic internet photographer garbage thread.

We all have opinions on what constitutes art, it just so happens that I think Ming Thein's opinion is idiotic.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

I hope woot fatigue didn't think I really wrote all that stuff about dense CFAs.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

I was checking out a newly opened bike path that starts near my neighborhood, and came across some empty industrial buildings. I liked the look of open loading dock filled with debris, and the colors in the graffiti. Here are two different shots/crops.

Joust Cube by EPICAC, on Flickr

Joust Cube by EPICAC, on Flickr

EPICAC fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 20, 2013

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Brick Wall, Jurong West, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

I'm so glad you posted this here. I saw it in the "No Critique" thread and I so wanted to comment.

I love the red, white and blue aspect you've made here. Those three colors always remind me of a flag and this one could almost be a "Mural" made of bricks. It gave me a neat "Jigsaw Puzzle" feeling. The colors are somewhat muted, but I think that adds to the effect. Like an old puzzle, you used to solve, when you are young.

On the technical side. It's drat Plumb level. The lines are nice and straight. It's in drat clear focus.

I really like this shot. Great shot!

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

IMG_4961 by s-bothun, on Flickr

IMG_4942 by s-bothun, on Flickr

IMG_5001 by s-bothun, on Flickr

IMG_5054 by s-bothun, on Flickr

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

DSC_0201.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_0207.jpg by scottch, on Flickr