Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I just got to the first chapter of Tubular Bells, and I want to poll the thread: What's the most bizarre Stand? 'Cause right now, turning nails into balloon animals that are also actual animals is really wrinkling my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'm gonna go with the stand in part 6 that requires you to commit suicide to work.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

I just got to the first chapter of Tubular Bells, and I want to poll the thread: What's the most bizarre Stand? 'Cause right now, turning nails into balloon animals that are also actual animals is really wrinkling my brain.

Silver Chariot Requiem. That one made no sense at all.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

HitTheTargets posted:

My personal favorite is Heavy Weather. Rainbows that turn people into snails and/or snail-human hybrids via hypnotic suggestion that causes de-evolution. Clearly, this is the ultimate application of weather-control powers.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Begemot posted:

My personal favorite is Heavy Weather. Rainbows that turn people into snails and/or snail-human hybrids via hypnotic suggestion that causes de-evolution. Clearly, this is the ultimate application of weather-control powers.

They weren't actually turning into snails, they just thought they were. They would end up dying somehow anyway though.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

HitTheTargets posted:

Hmm, that's tough. Every Part with Stands has some sufficiently weird ones.

Part 3:
Bast (if you touch this electrical outlet I can put on anything, you become super magnetized)

Part 4:
Boy II Man (If I beat you at rock, paper, scissors, I can steal your soul and use it for myself)
Enigma (If something has a nervous tick and I notice, I can seal it in folded paper. This includes things like people and a gun that's about to go off)
Superfly (I'm trapped in a radio tower that turns me to metal if I try to leave. Also, if you punch it, it punches you back)

Part 5:
Soft Machine (If I stab anything, including a yacht, it deflates like a balloon)
Beach Boy (Interdimensional fishing pole)
Clash (This fish can teleport between any two bodies of liquid close enough together, grows in proportion to them, and if you're between them, you're coming with it)

Part 6:
Kiss (If I put a sticker on something, it becomes two of that thing)
Marylin Manson (If you lose a bet to me, I can steal your organs to make you pay the debt)
Heavy Weather (Due to subliminal messages transmitted to you via rainbow, you and everything around you are turning into snails. At least you think that. It isn't actually happening, but you are still slow and weak to salt)

And I'll hold off on Part 7 because this is really long, and I don't think you've seen what I consider one of the weirder ones. Out of all those, I'd probably pick Heavy Weather, though we don't know if that's an evolved form of Weather Report or just an unlocked ability from when Weather got his memory back.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I dunno, Part 6 also had Bohemian Rhapsody's death by copyright infringement and Planet Waves, with the power to make sure a meteorite hits where it's standing. Part 6 has a bunch of whackadoo stands. Gravity Nullification Spit, Bullet Redirection, whatever you call Survivor's thing. poo poo's crazy.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mr. Maltose posted:

I dunno, Part 6 also had Bohemian Rhapsody's death by copyright infringement and Planet Waves, with the power to make sure a meteorite hits where it's standing. Part 6 has a bunch of whackadoo stands. Gravity Nullification Spit, Bullet Redirection, whatever you call Survivor's thing. poo poo's crazy.

Yeah, I feel like part 6 had the most bizarre stands. The one that let you literally dig up things from the past. The one that let you control invisible flying creatures that will absorb your body heat until you die. Gestalt plankton stand that takes reanimates a corpse.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
There was a Stand that just turned your life into Memento. Sympathetic Suicide stand. Even the Jojo stand was weird, turning you into string. It was a series that really went all out with creative stands, which is probably why Part 7 is more about creative USE of stands.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And Part 8's stands are really esoteric and situational because it's not really a series about battles.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I've noticed that too. Nearly all of the SBR Stands are Ability types. I think only A Silent Way and Pocoloco's Stand have manifested as fully-fledged person shaped spirit buddies. Meanwhile Jojolion's have all had physical forms, but have more rules & tricks to how they can use their abilities.

It's an interesting contrast, because (once Stands make Spinning less of a win button), Gyro and Johnny have to figure out how to out-damage their opponents before succumbing to their own wounds, while Gappy has to figure out ways to either win without fighting or else maneuver into a physical confrontation where S&W has the clear upper hand.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 19, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, I think Araki talked about specifically designing the Stands in Steel Ball Run to not be man shaped spirit buddies because you just had dudes punching dudes, and he wanted the Stands to be tools to be used cleverly instead.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Which is why I say SBR had some of the best fights in the series. They were almost never just punching a dude into fine red paste, or how to get to dude to punch him into a fine red paste.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

I don't think we've been reading the same manga. JoJo's fighting has, largely, been clever use of simple powers and abilities to outwit an opponent to land critical blows instead of "gently caress you, I'm just stronger" since all the way back in Part 2. Araki's been getting better at it over time, but I can't think of any fights in, say, Part 4 where it was a "Ok, now I can beat the poo poo out of you." Except maybe Josuke vs. Rohan, but that was more of a gag than a fight.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah, I worded that really badly. I just meant that the fights in Part 7 felt a bit more organic because at the end of it most people couldn't just use there stand to end the fight. It felt less like it was the stands doing the heavy lifting and more of the people. No one had a stand like Star Platinum or even Crazy Diamond that would just completely murder someone at close range is more of what I was getting at. I didn't mean to say that all the fights were punching dudes in the face, which I now realise I totally came off as saying.

EDIT: and even now I don't think I really explained what I meant all that well. I dunno, the fights just felt more organic to me, like it was a person vs. a person more often than a person vs. a stand. Or maybe I'm just a little bit dumb at explaining things :downs:

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 19, 2013

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
For anyone that hasn't checked the games thread this just happened: http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/19/4744012/jojos-bizarre-adventure-all-star-battle-2013

Looks like the game is coming out this year in NA. I am really excited because when I first picked this up in 2006 I never would've that we would get something like this and much less get it in america. The game is well... a kusoge but it's a drat fun one. And anyone that likes jojo should play it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Isn't it so imbalanced it's basically unplayable competitively?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

RatHat posted:

Isn't it so imbalanced it's basically unplayable competitively?

Not really, there's been infinites that need/needed to be fixed but a lot of them were near enough impossible on real players anyway. Outside of that I've seen people do some little tourneys with it already and they turned out fine.

Pretty much :buddy:
VVVVVVVVVVV

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 19, 2013

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Yardbomb posted:

Not really, there's been infinites that need/needed to be fixed but a lot of them were near enough impossible on real players anyway. Outside of that I've seen people do some little tourneys with it already and they turned out fine.
So basically the best way to enjoy it is not to think of it as a normal fighting game but as a Jojo game that just happens to be in the form of a fighting game that has its own rules.

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 19, 2013

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Finally finished reading through Steel Ball Run. Been reading through from Phantom Blood since about 2 months ago now on and off and it's been a hell of a ride. It'll be a shame when I get caught up on Part 8 and am stuck waiting with the rest of you :v: Anyway, that was a pretty good part. I've liked all of the parts so far for varying reasons and I'm glad I read through them. Sometimes stuff got confusing and didn't make any sense but it was still fun to blast through.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Uznare posted:

For anyone that hasn't checked the games thread this just happened: http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/19/4744012/jojos-bizarre-adventure-all-star-battle-2013

Looks like the game is coming out this year in NA. I am really excited because when I first picked this up in 2006 I never would've that we would get something like this and much less get it in america. The game is well... a kusoge but it's a drat fun one. And anyone that likes jojo should play it.

This is both good news and bad news because I can't even imagine how they're going to butcher all the names to make them lawyer-friendly.

Also why is it that no one can seem to get Campaign Mode right? You DON'T have to pay for it. Geez.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Also why is it that no one can seem to get Campaign Mode right? You DON'T have to pay for it. Geez.

Because people are dumb. I'd still be sour about it some if they kept Campaign charges 20 minutes a piece but man, 5 minutes per blip is nothing. Plus the real money shop stuff is entirely negligible, places always make it sound like they instituted some Pay2Win scheme all over. Also people getting Story and Campaign mixed up and spreading bad information.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Sep 19, 2013

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Wonder if it's going to be one of those online-only deals, like Tokyo Jungle.

Also, if they have to change the names, I hope they change Purple Haze to Pestis Haze.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I just hope it includes the gobs of DLC characters. I'm not paying extra for all that poo poo.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Game is hella boring though, but drat it! so pretty!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Supersonic Shine posted:

Wonder if it's going to be one of those online-only deals, like Tokyo Jungle.

Also, if they have to change the names, I hope they change Purple Haze to Pestis Haze.

I will be disappointed if the game DOES have the original names instead of ridiculous litigation avoiding replacements.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Would they even really be able to change the names, though? You can't really change what they say in the original Japanese audio. The best you could do, short of dubbing it in English, would be something like "Purparu Heezu". Which like "Eisidisi" isn't technically incorrect.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Wow, guess it's time to buy a PS3.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm doubting there will be any changes to the names for one reason and one reason only, Namco Bandai does not care enough to do more for their anime games western releases than sub them and slap them on PSN for 50 bucks. I don't believe for a minute they're not just going to make the names what they are and then not publicize the game so it doesn't draw any attention and if they put work into changing names they might as well dub it so as to enforce the names. It's gonna be one or the other and I'm sure it'll e the former before it's the latter.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
I have a sudden regret for getting the Japanese version

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

I'm not just yet. Certainly, I'd like to buy it because I want to support JoJo's fandom growth in the west, but

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I'm doubting there will be any changes to the names for one reason and one reason only, Namco Bandai does not care enough to do more for their anime games western releases than sub them and slap them on PSN for 50 bucks.

since I agree that this is what's likely to happen, because it's the most cost efficient and legally safe move for NB, by the time it gets pulled to the west, the games should be about identical save the language thing and the channels for getting DLC, and that's only a problem for the things that cost money. If they go full localization with English voices and whatnot, then I'll regret it.

Still, I saw more than a few people clamoring about not importing, so maybe we can get a fan surge from this. That would be good.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

onepixeljumpman posted:

If they go full localization with English voices and whatnot, then I'll regret it.

I'll buy eight! :zoid:

Pretty much had to happen, with or without that potential leak. It'd be nice if the game that has Baoh would go for some deep cuts from the actual series, though. Having finally gotten into SBR, I'm totally onboard with the Diego Brando campaign now. I think the heroes from Parts 1-4 are fully represented now, which is fairly cool.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 19, 2013

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Oh god, I just realized that there's gonna be so many people complaining that Lisa Lisa is a ripoff of Rose.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Still waiting for my plankton, dinosaurs, and Miami Dolphins. :colbert:

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Still waiting for my plankton, dinosaurs, and Miami Dolphins. :colbert:

Underworld should at least be a loving stage hazard. Getting charged by a sudden Miami Dolphins defensive rush basically writes itself.

I'm interested in Old Joseph. Lisa Lisa will probably end up like Fugo and have maybe one notable trait, but otherwise play very basically. Also, that thing under Lisa Lisa in the lower right corner mentions Anasui, Vanilla Ice, and Baoh.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

Waffleman_ posted:

And Part 8's stands are really esoteric and situational because it's not really a series about battles.

The stand under the leaves (no official name, but maybe Leaves From the Vine?) could be a pretty horrifying battle stand - that grenade that got dropped suddenly is right by your feet, while you slip on your arse (and get blown up).
Screws(forgotten the guy's name, but the stand puts screws in things, undoing the screw breaks the attachment) could also theoretically rock in a fight, depending on the conditions for placing and removing screws.

You're right though, it's not really about the fights - I kinda like it that way.

While I'm waiting for part 8 to update, what's everyones favourite chapter? I've seen/watched/played Stardust Crusade, but I'm trying to decide between jumping to part 7,4 or 5.

Trollhawke fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 19, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Part 8 is like Part 4 on steroids, thematically as well as referentially. It's all about the mysteries of Morioh, not about stopping the evil plan.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Trollhawke posted:

While I'm waiting for part 8 to update, what's everyones favourite chapter? I've seen/watched/played Stardust Crusade, but I'm trying to decide between jumping to part 7,4 or 5.

4 is pretty great, has some of the most fun characters to it as well as one of the best antagonists. I really wanna like 5 though, it has some of the best fights in the series but it's still suffering from being like 90% in wonky translation for english readers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Trollhawke posted:

Ugh 7 by like a hairsbreadth because man oh man part 6 is awesome but so is 4 and 5 has some great fights and it's just loving hard to choose.

But the Go Go Zeppeli grill will forever be in my heart.

• Locked thread