Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I find it really weird to make it into a big shark-jumping moment but yes, I remember noticing the exact same inconsistency Zogundar did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
... screw it.

I sure hope Rich is okay!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Soon originated the oath that bound all the ghost-martyrs, so he felt it each time one was dispelled.

Was that so very hard?

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

sebmojo posted:

So your 'friend' who this annoyed. Tell us about him.

Oh, he has the most interesting opinions sometimes. :allears:

He randomly hates things with no discernible pattern that I can see (He even made a list of things I recommended to him that was supposed to be some sort of Hall of Shame. "Hey, this is the best anime ever, you should watch it" *drops it after one episode and gives it a 2 on MAL*; Hey this game is cool, you should try it- *"terrible, added to The List"*; "Hey, this game is ironically terrible, just try it for 30 seconds to see how awful it is," *exact same treatment as if I had recommended it as a legitimately good game*) This also extends to movies. He no longer trusts my opinion because I recommended such bottom of the barrel bad movies as Raiders of the Lost Ark and Robocop. He runs a 4E D&D campaign which I dropped out of after 2 years for long and involved reasons I won't get into here.

I'm not sure how much more it'd be consider 'proper' to say (Or if I've already said too much?), but I can infer from your post that you believe this to be my opinion and that said friend does not exist (Especially since that happened once before, although that time I was actually arguing against his opinion.) I assure you we are separate entities, he's just either very skilled at getting me to ask questions because of him, (Like the time he couldn't be bothered to register on a forum to ask for build advice for a game and for some reason I did it for him) or I'm predisposed toward looking for answers. Probably a little of both.

CapnAndy posted:

Soon originated the oath that bound all the ghost-martyrs, so he felt it each time one was dispelled.

Was that so very hard?

Still doesn't explain why he was unaffected during his fight with Xykon.

The Leper Colon V posted:

... screw it.

I sure hope Rich is okay!

He didn't hurt his thumb again, did he?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Zogundar posted:

Still doesn't explain why he was unaffected during his fight with Xykon.

Probably because getting stunned-occasionally wasn't enough to overcome "the only way we can actually hurt him is magic missile."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah, I was implying that. But ok, I accept you have a friend.

'I hope Rich is okay' is what people say when it's been a long time between comics or when the thread has got particularly septic.

As for your complaint, I just went back and read the strip:

1. Turn is AoE, but affects high and low level undead differently.
2. Rich seems to have forgotten Soon saying 'I'll fight the priest'. Happens, doesn't matter (if you like you can say the situation changed between strips, such as Redcloak running out of turning, spelling this out would make the story worse so he didn't do it)
3. The bit about the ghosts being linked is just something you've made up.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

sebmojo posted:

2. Rich seems to have forgotten Soon saying 'I'll fight the priest'. Happens, doesn't matter (if you like you can say the situation changed between strips, such as Redcloak running out of turning, spelling this out would make the story worse so he didn't do it)

Actually that was the result of Xykon taunting Soon and causing him to lose focus on the plan and go after Xykon instead.

Making his opponents so angry that they ignore good strategy is one of Xykon's strengths.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Rereading the strip it's pretty obvious that Redcloak is just using normal "Turn Undead" rules and the explanation was just poorly worded, that's all. Trying to look further into it than that is stupid and to argue the point for the same of a friend that may or may not exist or because you are just "looking for answers" long after its been explained by multiple people is a bit too spergy even for this thread.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

reignonyourparade posted:

Probably because getting stunned-occasionally wasn't enough to overcome "the only way we can actually hurt him is magic missile."

This is as good as any of the explanations offered for why it didn't work out. But that's not really the issue. It's that we never see this or any other of them (At least in the main webcomic.) By all appearances Soon was not inconvenienced in the slightest after that initial panel and Xykon didn't even get a reprieve in the form of not getting beat up quite so much to the point that he basically concedes the fight is lost (You can even hear him taunting Soon and getting beaten up some more in an intervening strip.)

sebmojo posted:

Yeah, I was implying that. But ok, I accept you have a friend.

'I hope Rich is okay' is what people say when it's been a long time between comics or when the thread has got particularly septic.

Ah.

quote:

As for your complaint, I just went back and read the strip:

1. Turn is AoE, but affects high and low level undead differently.

Redcloak had at least enough Turning to finish off all of the ghosts since he says he got the last of them when Xykon makes a run for it.

quote:

3. The bit about the ghosts being linked is just something you've made up.

Is it? It seems pretty clear cut to me that, based on his subsequent explanation and strategy that at least the one time when Redcloak decided it was "Interesting" that turning the ghosts had a feedback effect of some kind on Soon. :shrug:

Who What Now posted:

Rereading the strip it's pretty obvious that Redcloak is just using normal "Turn Undead" rules and the explanation was just poorly worded, that's all. Trying to look further into it than that is stupid and to argue the point for the same of a friend that may or may not exist or because you are just "looking for answers" long after its been explained by multiple people is a bit too spergy even for this thread.

The normal turning rules actually make less sense in this case since Turn Undead has no stun effect. It's either flee, cower, destruction, or command. And high enough level undead - which Redcloak even admits Soon is ("Way too many Hit Dice") is completely unaffected. If poofing the lesser undead didn't have some effect on Soon, then why is he being stunned? If normal rules were at work, he'd be completely immune! The only conclusion is that poofing them stunned him.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Who What Now posted:

Edit: Rather than just empty quoting, saw an interesting suggestion over on the forums.

V got the soul splice off the fiends because she needed it to defeat the ancient mother black dragon. She needed to defeat the ancient mother black dragon because she dusted her baby. V dusted the baby black dragon because Roy was looking for the star metal. Roy was looking for the star metal because Sabine/Nale sent him on a mission there. And who was pulling Sabine's strings? Why, the fiends.

I'm not sure I believe there was an intended connection, but it's a nice one nonetheless.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 19, 2013

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Zogundar posted:

And high enough level undead - which Redcloak even admits Soon is ("Way too many Hit Dice") is completely unaffected.

Way too many Hit Dice to be destroyed like the lesser ones were. C'mon. This isn't that hard. Redcloak obviously rolled a super good rebuke check and just barely managed to stun Soon once.

Additionally, considering a paladin is fear immune and all, houseruling that he's "stunned" instead of "cowering" seems like some perfectly reasonable fluff to me.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'd like to point out that the strip in question came out in '07, over six years ago. It was a mistake on Rich's part, something that happen in any story. Nitpicking such an insignificant and above all inconsequential mistake from so long ago is just insane.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

sebmojo posted:

Edit: Rather than just empty quoting, saw an interesting suggestion over on the forums.

V got the soul splice off the fiends because she needed it to defeat the ancient mother black dragon. She needed to defeat the ancient mother black dragon because she dusted her baby. V dusted the baby black dragon because Roy was looking for the star metal. Roy was looking for the star metal because Sabine/Nale sent him on a mission there. And who was pulling Sabine's strings? Why, the fiends.

I'm not sure I believe there was an intended connection, but it's a nice one nonetheless.

It's definitely a cute set of connections and could in fact be something that was going for a while. The IFC doubtless had a lot of plans set up to give them the situation they got with V since they needed to make sure the gates/rifts business works in their favor, though this one could also just be a bit of extreme convenience/the IFC being opportunistic.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Colonel Cool posted:

Way too many Hit Dice to be destroyed like the lesser ones were. C'mon. This isn't that hard. Redcloak obviously rolled a super good rebuke check and just barely managed to stun Soon once.

Additionally, considering a paladin is fear immune and all, houseruling that he's "stunned" instead of "cowering" seems like some perfectly reasonable fluff to me.

You can't turn something 5 levels higher than you regardless of what you roll. "Way too many Hit Dice" suggests he's easily more than 5 levels higher than Redcloak. And that's before you get into Turn Damage further limiting the number of HDs of undead you can affect in one go. He even says he did not directly affect him!

Again, normal turn undead rules only make less sense in this case, not more.

Who What Now posted:

I'd like to point out that the strip in question came out in '07, over six years ago. It was a mistake on Rich's part, something that happen in any story. Nitpicking such an insignificant and above all inconsequential mistake from so long ago is just insane.

Maybe it wasn't a mistake! There's a book I don't have that other posters here do have that might have had a bonus strip that explains things! Or maybe Rich talked about it once! I don't know! I was just still curious if anything more had ever been said about it. All anyone really had to say was "Yes, on page 2x4z.." or "he made a post once that said.." or "nope." For some reason I didn't expect I'd have to argue that it had happened.

*edit*

sebmojo posted:

I'd assumed it was on some level (Though whether it was "I had it all planned out ahead of time:smug:-George Lucas" intended or not, I have no idea.) If Rich can plan Durkon becoming a vampire 800 strips and 10 years in advance I suppose it's possible! (I think he's also said he already knows what the last panel of the last page will be.)

Zogundar fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 19, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You know, if you look at the panels following, Soon is never shown being stunned by the loss of his ghosts because there's like three or four panels of him fighting Xykon total. It could very well have been happening, but the narrative was with Miko when Redcloak was turning undead.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 19, 2013

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zogundar posted:

Maybe it wasn't a mistake! There's a book I don't have that other posters here do have that might have had a bonus strip that explains things! Or maybe Rich talked about it once! I don't know! I was just still curious if anything more had ever been said about it. All anyone really had to say was "Yes, on page 2x4z.." or "he made a post once that said.." or "nope." For some reason I didn't expect I'd have to argue that it had happened.

If you haven't gotten such an answer after nearly a page and a half of discussion don't you think that means the type of answer you're looking for doesn't exist, and that perhaps you're wrong and there simply isn't a good in-story reason for what happened? And if you're more than willing to go this far to argue the point here, why not email Rich himself about it?

sebmojo posted:

I like this idea, but somehow I don't believe this was the case at the time that arc was written. But it may be a useful coincidence for Rich to point to to reinforce the long-con the Fiends are playing.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Zogundar posted:

You can't turn something 5 levels higher than you regardless of what you roll. "Way too many Hit Dice" suggests he's easily more than 5 levels higher than Redcloak. And that's before you get into Turn Damage further limiting the number of HDs of undead you can affect in one go. He even says he did not directly affect him!

So Redcloak is level 16 and Soon is 20. That's perfectly consistent. Throw in a good HD roll and make the other three ghosts pretty low level and he could easily do all of them at once.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Who What Now posted:

If you haven't gotten such an answer after nearly a page and a half of discussion don't you think that means the type of answer you're looking for doesn't exist, and that perhaps you're wrong and there simply isn't a good in-story reason for what happened? And if you're more than willing to go this far to argue the point here, why not email Rich himself about it?

I was stating why I originally brought it up. Maybe it came up at some point around here in all those years. I haven't even had it posted for half a day yet, maybe that one poster who has the book and would know the answer is asleep or on vacation for all I know. Then I figured it was natural to defend the validity my own question. I don't think I claimed whether a good answer existed or not (That was part of the question.)

As for e-mailing Rich, I dunno, I guess I assumed he's not someone you can just casually e-mail and expect to get an answer from, or I might have tried that years ago. I think the most important person I've ever gotten a hold of was Fragmaster. I asked him if he'd make more Nerdshoe (He didn't. :() Heck, I can't get into Neogaf even after following all of their rules for registration. I just wanted to answer some dude's question (A month ago.) :smith:

Colonel Cool posted:

So Redcloak is level 16 and Soon is 20. That's perfectly consistent. Throw in a good HD roll and make the other three ghosts pretty low level and he could easily do all of them at once.

I think it's safe to assume Soon is epic level given the epic-level status of every other gate holder. That puts him at at least 21 (And given how he schooled Xykon I'd be surprised if he wasn't much higher.)

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Maybe Soon was schooling Xykon so effectively that even the temporary stuns weren't having much effect on the battle outcome, and any stuns just happened off-panel. Oh well.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Whenever that guy brought up the throne room I assumed it would be Xykon's insanity bouncy ball, because I remember some goons going loving nuts over that.

This whole undead-turning thing seems pretty weaksauce in comparison.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

You know, the simplest explanation is that Redcloak's Turn Undead momentarily stunned Soon, but Redcloak misinterpreted that as being a result of popping the ghost-martyrs.

Rich just wrote in Redcloak making a tactical mistake, that's all.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

A whole lotta people seem beholden to rules that Rich has said multiple time get hand waved for story purposes. gently caress, Soon might as well have taken a moment of remembrance for those who were serving with him in the afterlife. Who gives a poo poo? The story progressed and it's not like it completely invalidates anything that went on in those comics. Soon had his last stand, Redcloak was Redcloak, and the final stand of the Sapphire Guard was epic as poo poo.

I can't believe we have to get mad about this poo poo.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Kill all grognards.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
This is the most heated argument I've ever seen where everyone essentially agrees with each other.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
Hey look, a change of topic.

So who is Durkon going to get spells from? Can an evil vampire cleric actually get spells from Thor, who I gather is supposed to be one of the good gods. Does an evil god swoop in and claim him automatically, is there a contest, will we get to see a Bachelor parody once the Order gets out of this mess and things calm down?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
By the rules, unless the campaign setting specifically changes that (like the Forgotten Realms), clerics do not need a patron deity to get spells. They can be powered by their own faith in whatever that is they are a cleric of. So Durkon could technically still be a cleric of Thor even if Thor doesn't want him anymore. (He'd just have not to use ThorPrayer(tm) anymore for his spells, and given that all ThorPrayer is good for is getting colon cancer, it's not a big loss.)

However, it is usually speculated that there wouldn't have been all these references to the rivalry between Thor and Hel if Durkon wasn't going to switch into a cleric of Hel.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Has there been any reference to Loki since the blond dwarf girl who was so long ago I forget her name disappeared? It would be kind of interesting if she suddenly popped back up now that Durkon is a vampire.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The cleric who helped Haley and Celia out in Greysky City was with Loki. But I think somewhere there was a comment by Rich that if he'd remembered at that specific point that Hilgya had been a Loki cleric, he'd have picked some other appropriate deity.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If he isn't praying to Nurgul now, Durkon can just pray to an ephemeral concept or an elemental force.

-EDIT-

Beaten like Z'Zidtri

-EDITx2-

VVVVVVVVV

They sure can! It's a prestige class called the Ur-Priest.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 19, 2013

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Suddenly I wonder if Reddit atheists in D&D verse could literally draw power from the concept of atheism.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

razorrozar posted:

Suddenly I wonder if Reddit atheists in D&D verse could literally draw power from the concept of atheism.

Yes, they're called wizards.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Kill all grognards.

loving seriously. Bunch of :spergin: up in here.

sebmojo posted:

That's pretty rad.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hey, 54 new posts! Man, Rich must be really cranking them out if there's a new strip already....oh. :sigh:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

jng2058 posted:

Hey, 54 new posts! Man, Rich must be really cranking them out if there's a new strip already....oh. :sigh:

Everything's alright as long as nobody's posting fake links that lead to Goblins.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Redcloak says "Interesting" because he realises that the ghost he's fighting is Soon himself, it's got nothing to do with the stunning effect.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

Blackheart posted:

Everything's alright as long as nobody's posting fake links that lead to Goblins.

And as long as there are no stupid alignment posts.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Umbra Dubium posted:

Redcloak says "Interesting" because he realises that the ghost he's fighting is Soon himself, it's got nothing to do with the stunning effect.

:getout:

Blackheart posted:

Don't invoke what can't be uninvoked.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Earnestly posted:

And as long as there are no stupid alignment posts.

That reminds me, I found unbelievable that Lee gets Tarquin's mooks. Since he's been known to wield CE agents (succubi, sorcerers), doesn't that make them chaotic evil? Tarquin's plot troop should obviously be lawful evil. This is obviously a huge inconsistency and I will take it up with Rich himself if only there was some way to contact him on this here internet. I have a friend who stopped reading the comic completely after that strip.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kajeesus posted:

That reminds me, I found unbelievable that Lee gets Tarquin's mooks. Since he's been known to wield CE agents (succubi, sorcerers), doesn't that make them chaotic evil? Tarquin's plot troop should obviously be lawful evil. This is obviously a huge inconsistency and I will take it up with Rich himself if only there was some way to contact him on this here internet. I have a friend who stopped reading the comic completely after that strip.

edit: oh i get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Ursine Asylum posted:

Don't invoke what can't be uninvoked.

Whenever someone mentions it, I get the urge to look at the site. So many melty-man words :smithicide:

On the subject of OotS, i'm starting to think that Sabine might wind up helping out the Order at some point in the future. Using the Order as agents of revenge with regards to her boyfriend's death seems right up her alley, even before you get into Sabine being privvy to some very important information relating to V's contract. It'd be reliant on her actually wanting to help, but at the very least she was happy to see V go up and blast the hell out of Tarquin's army.

Niton fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 19, 2013