Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!
So, the 787-9 flew yesterday. Apologies for the lack of pictures- nowhere I can legally share them from supports bbcode.
http://www.airlinereporter.com/2013/09/boeing-787-9-dreamliner-takes-first-flight/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yay it didn't crash!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Heard the most wonderful sound today walking to class.

(lovely cropped photo)

Shiny silver B-17 with a red tail. Spotted in Ypsilanti, Michigan.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

(lovely cropped photo)

Out of Willow Run?

poo poo man we should have hung out before I moved away. :(

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

(lovely cropped photo)

Yankee Lady flies out of Ypsilanti (and matches that description).

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

It's absolutely the Lady if it's flying around Ypsi. Hopefully YAM can get their act together regarding the remains of the old bomber plant so we can have both the statics and the flyers in the same place. I miss the old hangars where you could show up and see the flyers just chilling out in the sun and walk around them.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

rocket_350 posted:

Yes. I've seen it out flying a few times. There are some photos of the restoration here:

http://www.warplane.com/vintage-aircraft-collection/aircraft-history.aspx?aircraftId=37
I love that museum. Is the BlenheimBolingbrooke close to flying condition yet?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I hate the fact that just about everything at New England Air Museum is not flyable.

And also that NEAM is a 2 hour drive away and i don't have a car.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I love that museum. Is the BlenheimBolingbrooke close to flying condition yet?

They've been saying 2015 or 2016. They've been working on it since before I first started going to the museum in the mid eighties so what's another few years. It's a very ambitious project, I think they may have actually had new wing spars made. They have the fuselage, wing centre section and landing gear restored. I think they're working on engines and the outer wings now.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I think this sort of belongs here.

Eagle + GoPro (or something like it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3QrhdfLCO8

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Awesome video. Here's another good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mozO3F8yNeE

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
A USAF stunt in the Gulf of Mexico. They used a B-1B to kill a simulated enemy warship. They already proved this is possible with Handley-Pages in '21, didn't they?

You could attach a dynamo to Billy Mitchel's corpse and generate endless free electricity with the spinning he must be doing in his grave.

The modern USAF really needs to play at a higher difficulty level.

supposedly not a photoshop.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 19, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Laser-guided smart bomb crushes tinnie

Truly the Australianest of headlines :australia:

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Either the bomb was full of concrete, or the next person to run a bottom trawl through that area is going to be in for an exciting afternoon.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

IPCRESS posted:

Either the bomb was full of concrete, or the next person to run a bottom trawl through that area is going to be in for an exciting afternoon.

Blue bomb = inert warhead.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

MrYenko posted:

Blue bomb = inert warhead.

Seems like they could save some money by just loading up a bunch of blue bombs when B-1's go pirate hunting.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

dayman posted:

Seems like they could save some money by just loading up a bunch of blue bombs when B-1's go pirate hunting.

When dealing with B1's, it's pretty safe to say that the ordinance being delivered is orders of magnitude cheaper than the flight itself. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if one of those has already burned the cost of the bomb in fuel by the time it's taxied to the runway.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blistex posted:

When dealing with B1's, it's pretty safe to say that the ordinance being delivered is orders of magnitude cheaper than the flight itself. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if one of those has already burned the cost of the bomb in fuel by the time it's taxied to the runway.

Aren't those JDAM kits really expensive?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
About $25k, 1/2 to 1/3 of an hour's worth of B-1 flight time.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

hobbesmaster posted:

No, JDAM is cheap as poo poo which is why as soon as it came out just about everything became a precision munition.

dayman posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/10/07/world/us-wields-defter-weapon-against-iraq-concrete-bomb.html

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Literally kinetic warfare.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
So in Swizerland we currently are using two type of aircrafts : the F/A-18 and F-5

In the recent month our governement decided that it was time to change the F-5 and after long period of discussions we are very close to selecting the Gripen as our new plane.

Something I'd like you guys that know stuff shed some light on is, couldn't the F/A-18 do everything we need to? Since Switzerland is neutral we never go to war and basically all their are used for is to protect our aerial space. I don't know stuff but for me the F/A-18 should be way sufficient for this?

I guess we are just looking to waste large sum of money for not a lot of return...

Guess the Gripen is pretty at least :D

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gripen is probably cheaper, thats why you had the F-5.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Operating exclusively in Switzerland partially negates the F-18's biggest drawback: short legs.

It's probably isn't competitively priced versus the Gripen, though.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Le0 posted:

Something I'd like you guys that know stuff shed some light on is, couldn't the F/A-18 do everything we need to? Since Switzerland is neutral we never go to war and basically all their are used for is to protect our aerial space. I don't know stuff but for me the F/A-18 should be way sufficient for this?

I guess we are just looking to waste large sum of money for not a lot of return...

Guess the Gripen is pretty at least :D

I'd say so. Airframes wear out eventually, and need replacement. While I don't know when the Swiss bought F-18s, other countries that also bought them (like Canada and Spain) are looking for new aircraft. The Gripen is a good airplane for the Swiss, IMO. It does everything you need from a modern warplane, is apparently quite tough and reliable, and can operate off of improvised runways. (The latter being a concern in the highly unlikely scenario that Italy goes fascist again and tries to reunite the Italian-speaking peoples.)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Those are old C/D model Hornets, not the modern Super Hornet. The SH would be a good fit, but yeah probably too expensive. There are a lot more F-5s than F-18s, so you're talking about replacing almost half your fighters. They also might not want such a large aircraft...the SH is an extra 50% longer and about 75% wider (wingspan) than a Grippen. Ramp space might be a concern.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

F-5's are used for the Swiss demonstration team. Super Hornets might be too big for that.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

hobbesmaster posted:

Like mentioned JDAMs are pretty cheap, but dayman was actually talking about keeping the JDAM kit and using inert bombs instead of functional ones with HE in them. The savings there are probably in the hundreds to low thousands of dollars, as dumb free-fallers are a dime a dozen.

As for the talk about Swiss fighter replacements. They should just get a single F-35 and use it as a target drone for their F-5's.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Godholio posted:

Ramp space might be a concern.

I've read that this is a massive pro for the Gripen. The hangars hidden in the mountains and the small airfields won't need any large and expensive modifications when using Gripen whereas all competitors would need it.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

The Swiss Hornets entered service in 1996, so they're not all that old...certainly not like our Hornets in Canada, which are literally some of the first off the production line in 1982.

Also, the story of how the Swiss ended up buying the Hornet is kind of :stare:

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
I ended up at the Wikipedia page for the F-5, after seeing just now in this thread that the Swiss are still using it, and stumbled across this:

The Shaped Sonic Boom Demonstrator was a modified F-5E that was designed to see if looking like a kitchen utensil would make it possible to reduce the noise created by sonic booms.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ehnus posted:

I ended up at the Wikipedia page for the F-5, after seeing just now in this thread that the Swiss are still using it, and stumbled across this:

The Shaped Sonic Boom Demonstrator was a modified F-5E that was designed to see if looking like a kitchen utensil would make it possible to reduce the noise created by sonic booms.

The Shaped Sonic Boom Demonstrator was an experiment to see if the other fighters would laugh at it.

They did.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

ehnus posted:

DERPA

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

ehnus posted:

Looks like an awesome seaplane

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Don't the Swiss Hornets have a FCS that allows up to 9g vs. the 7.5 for all other Hornets/Super Hornets? I'm sure I've read that in several places but I don't know if it's true.

F-5s are boss. One of my crazy billionaire fantasies is to own one. :v:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Aargh posted:

Looks like an awesome seaplane
Yeah, it does! Shame supersonic aircraft don't work well as seaplanes :(

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

grover posted:

Yeah, it does! Shame supersonic aircraft don't work well as seaplanes :(

That's not a supersonic aircraft, though.

Premptive :thejoke:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
The Swiss are surrounded by first-world nations (and Italy) that are armed with Eurofighters and Dassault's. They're landlocked, have an airspace that can be patrolled with a C172 in an afternoon, and a total of 7 military and 18 civilian airports.

1. Is "highway operation" really necessary?

2. Would they be better served with something that's 99% air superiority rather than bomb taxi? (they still have relatively young F-18s to do that)

3. Would going the Eurofighter route be better since there is closer access to the parts and service infrastructure as opposed to something on the other side of Europe?

4. Are they out of Nazi gold yet? Do they really have to think of cost being the first priority? If they are set on fighters, why not a Silent Eagle to give them some 4.5(ish) generation fighters with limited stealth capabilities and excellent intercept capabilities. (they have a small country, so faster intercepts would be a plus)

Essentially, what is the most likely thing they are going to use these fighters for? I don't know of them ever dropping a bomb in anger, and they only had limited engagements during WWII with a few skirmishes with German and US strays. Honestly, to me it would seem that the size of their nation would dictate that a top-notch SAM network would be a better deterrent than fighters.

Someone care to school me on why this is all wrong and why the F-111 is the best option?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Postal posted:

A USAF stunt in the Gulf of Mexico. They used a B-1B to kill a simulated enemy warship.

Ha, I worked on this software :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Previa_fun posted:

Don't the Swiss Hornets have a FCS that allows up to 9g vs. the 7.5 for all other Hornets/Super Hornets? I'm sure I've read that in several places but I don't know if it's true.

F-5s are boss. One of my crazy billionaire fantasies is to own one. :v:

I'd step it up a notch and get a F-20.