Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

I enjoy Frank trying so hard to get someone to be a shady business person to accept a briefcase full of dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I loved Dee telling Mac that "his mother is a cigarette".

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:
Wow. One of the all-time best episodes for sure. I was laughing pretty much non-stop when non-edgy Paddy's Pub started. Everything was terrific.

Aatrek posted:

I loved Dee telling Mac that "his mother is a cigarette".
And he just went right to choking her, like he had threatened Dennis with earlier.

I want Charlie to do his final song as the acceptance speech if they ever get an Emmy or something.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

romanowski posted:

What show was the "bar down the street that's won a bunch of awards" referring to?

Louie or American Horror Story

Also, the "black bars don't win awards" was a reference to The Wire, in case you didn't catch that. Chad Coleman (Cutty from The Wire) guest starred in this episode.

This might be my favorite episode of the show, ever. Definitely among the smartest. I could write an essay on this episode. drat.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Hoffbonics posted:

Here's some takes of Charlie's drugged up song that didn't make it into the episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jH4T3LQvUs

I love Danny recording everything on his phone. He's super into it.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
But no, I wish I had been drinking with them because it looked fun.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
This episode kind of reminded me of "The Gang Recycles Their Trash". It was funny in its own right, but made even funnier for long time fans of the show with a little bit of extra knowledge. I was dying when Mac was rehearsing lines with Dee and Dennis. "I came at you hard..." and then his whole cooldown after he flies off the handle.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011

timpanihilistic posted:

This episode kind of reminded me of "The Gang Recycles Their Trash". It was funny in its own right, but made even funnier for long time fans of the show with a little bit of extra knowledge. I was dying when Mac was rehearsing lines with Dee and Dennis. "I came at you hard..." and then his whole cooldown after he flies off the handle.
This was so great in every way.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

This episode was an instant classic for me. The meta humor was a great backdrop and was a pretty funny calling out of lovely sitcoms, but it was such a great vehicle for the gang's utter awfulness. I about lost my poo poo when Mac attacked Dee, and even more so when Charlie crawled out of the basement with spray paint all over his face. I'm going to be watching this one many, many times.

mwells_cubed
Aug 7, 2003

WOW
I love any episode where the gang's antics affect normal people, so this was top notch.

"Some people say it's even better than bustin' a nut! :haw: "

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011

mwells_cubed posted:

I love any episode where the gang's antics affect normal people, so this was top notch.

"Some people say it's even better than bustin' a nut! :haw: "
Just tell me where to jizz so I can get this woman her drink

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I feel really, really dumb for not realizing how meta it was when I first watched it.

"Best song award." The other bar parodying shitcoms, and of course "Black bars just don't get awards" whenever Cutty was on screen.

:suicide:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
That's too many black guys, dude. The ratio is off. THE RATIO IS OFF!

I love that Carly Ray Jepsen is just playing in the background throughout the whole episode. Everybody at either bar is presumably over 21, but they're playing pop songs that only really appeal to 13 year-old teeny-boppers.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

DoctorStrangelove posted:

"Best song award."

Well you're in good company because I still don't know what that's a reference to.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011

Karki posted:

Well you're in good company because I still don't know what that's a reference to.
I'm guessing it was just a very obvious nod the fact that this was all about the Emmys, which do have a music category, and the fact that Charlie basically wrote the theme song for the lovely sit com Sunny that they tried out at the industry party.

I didn't think there was anything more to it than that, but I could be very wrong.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Irish Joe posted:

I love that Carly Ray Jepsen is just playing in the background throughout the whole episode. Everybody at either bar is presumably over 21, but they're playing pop songs that only really appeal to 13 year-old teeny-boppers don't appeal to me.

I fixed that for you.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Irish Joe posted:

I loved how like a minute before that they were talking about how you don't want too many and then it cuts to like 15 thugish looking black guys at the bar. I thought it was a great episode. The bar scene was also a spoof on actual bars like that that are just terrible.

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Irish Joe posted:

I love that Carly Ray Jepsen is just playing in the background throughout the whole episode. Everybody at either bar is presumably over 21, but they're playing pop songs that only really appeal to 13 year-old teeny-boppers.

As a youngster i felt weird when i stayed over at friend's places and their families would all gather around to watch some godawful soap. I'd go to school and the whole group would all be talking about what happened last night on Baywatch or E-Street. I'm thinking, what the gently caress is wrong with these people?

Point being, you're the minority.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

EDIT: oh God, was the bell that tells people when to drink a dig at laugh tracks? That's brilliant.

I was wondering what that was about, I knew there had to be something there.

Irish Joe posted:

Hey now, don't be talking poo poo about Carly Rae, that girl is a national treasure. Especially when she's covering Joni Mitchell. :canada:

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

PittTheElder posted:

I was wondering what that was about, I knew there had to be something there.

"I don't want to be told when to drink, I'll drink when I'm good and thirsty" sounds exactly like the common complaint that laugh tracks are telling people when to laugh.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Wait, are there seriously actual bars that exist that are lit up like a rainbow and have drama between the bartenders and poo poo?

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Wait, are there seriously actual bars that exist that are lit up like a rainbow and have drama between the bartenders and poo poo?

Did you entirely miss the point of the episode or was there some post that implied this?

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

It's a joke about terrible sitcoms

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Irish Joe posted:

Fishbowls and annoying staff and Carly Rae Jaepsen is like every terrible bar though

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

escape artist posted:

I could write an essay on this episode. drat.

If it's anything like your Wire episode writeups, I would really like to see this.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick
This was easily one of the best episodes of the series, and possibly the best. I can't praise this show enough. I don't think any comedy does callbacks better than Sunny. I laughed so hard at Frank's egg, and I love the fact that the one black friend the gang has is Dennis and Dee's crack and gun dealer.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
That wasn't their crack dealer, that was one of the guys Frank met under the bridge.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
I feel really good about having never heard the name Carly Rae Jepsen before coming into this thread. What a dumb loving name too.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

The subtext of the episode was fabulously penned and executed, no doubt about it, but while a few bits were quite humorous it just wasn't a very funny episode for me. And that's fine as it excelled in other capacities though this season thus far feels like they're going for clever before funny.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Gave it a rewatch when I got home and still really enjoyed it. I never noticed how cavalierly Charlie starts to spit during his song because I was laughing so hard the first time. I loved how Charlie's song started with "There is a spider," and despite all of us knowing that it was coming it was still a great punchline. The only moment I didn't enjoy was the burlesque subplot because the scene with Frank and Artemis came out of left field and the plot wasn't given time to develop.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Vhak lord of hate posted:

Did you entirely miss the point of the episode or was there some post that implied this?

They have a couple like that here. No witty banter between bartenders or whatever.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Benagain posted:

That wasn't their crack dealer, that was one of the guys Frank met under the bridge.

I could have sworn Cutty was their crack dealer, but you're right. Now I feel like a racist.

soapgish posted:

The subtext of the episode was fabulously penned and executed, no doubt about it, but while a few bits were quite humorous it just wasn't a very funny episode for me. And that's fine as it excelled in other capacities though this season thus far feels like they're going for clever before funny.

I'll agree with you on the clever part, but I thought it was very funny. I don't think I stopped laughing throughout the episode.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

nuncle jimbo posted:

Fishbowls and annoying staff and Carly Rae Jaepsen is like every terrible bar though

I'll one up it with a bar that has fishbowls and plays to an 90s nostalgia crowd. Hanging out with people in their early 20s who still get excited when they hear the Spice Girls is awwweeesome.

Exploder posted:

I could have sworn Cutty was their crack dealer, but you're right. Now I feel like a racist.

The crack dealer is a bigger guy.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

ultramiraculous posted:

I'll one up it with a bar that has fishbowls and plays to an 90s nostalgia crowd. Hanging out with people in their early 20s who still get excited when they hear the Spice Girls is awwweeesome.

No one under 25 should be excited to hear the Spice Girls considering that their first and only hit was released 17 years ago. The pathetic early 20s crowd should be into Green Day, Kelly Clarkson and Gorillaz.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of the Gorillaz, for some reason that Robert De Niro movie that came out the other day used the song Clint Eastwood in their commercials.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

ultramiraculous posted:

The crack dealer is a bigger guy.

Last seen holding a rifle.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Really enjoyable episode.

Looks like Mac and Charlie nearly broke a few times.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

Irish Joe posted:

The pathetic early 20s crowd should be into Gorillaz.

Is this a slight or something, I dont get it

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Looks like the whole "noses up at the Emmys" season is holding true. (or just entirely coincidental). It really was a great episode of Sunny simply put.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

I thought that had the best Mac moment's of any episode. He is so hilariously short-tempered and Dennis tells him exactly what they'll be doing when rehearsing and he still flies off the handle. Too funny.

This show has to end in some kind of quadruple murder-suicide.