Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Idran posted:

I thought that was Jonas's race that was mentioned offhand like that?

I think they both were. At least with Jonas's people they had just dealt with Anubis just floating around in their skies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

night_chrono
Dec 10, 2008

Idran posted:

I thought that was Jonas's race that was mentioned offhand like that?

Carter says that a number of planets had fallen to the Ori "including Hebridan and Langara". Hebridan being where the Serakins live and Langara is Jonas's homeworld.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

"Name's Olo....... Hans... Olo."

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of civilizations we never hear from again, what ever happens to the Hoffans?

I vaguely recall their drug getting used again in some later episodes, but do we ever find out what happens to the Hoffans themselves?

Also, Sheppard is so loving smug in that episode, "stop experimenting with technologies you don't know anything about, you're endangering the whole galaxy!". Oh, the irony. At least the Hoffans actually put it to a vote (eventually).

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I'm certain the Hoffans were exterminated by the Wraith.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Apoplexy posted:

I'm certain the Hoffans were exterminated by the Wraith.

Yep once the Wraith found out about it they wiped them out.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?
Just watching the re-cap episode with all the nation ambassadors being told about the program and god drat is Senator Kinsey ever a good villain. So easy to hate.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

vandelay industries posted:

Just watching the re-cap episode with all the nation ambassadors being told about the program and god drat is Senator Kinsey ever a good villain. So easy to hate.

I love how he is in all the clip shows. It makes them not only bearable, but drat entertaining. He is the best antagonist.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

He and Kai Winn from DS9 were both really good at what they did. That being pissing everyone off at them.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taffer posted:

I love how he is in all the clip shows. It makes them not only bearable, but drat entertaining. He is the best antagonist.

:nyd:
Supreme Commander! Check mate.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tim the Enchanter posted:

He and Kai Winn from DS9 were both really good at what they did. That being pissing everyone off at them.

I hated that bastard as a kid so much when he became captain of the Enterprise

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

:smug: Yes, child.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

That bitch caused one of the few good guy Brad Dourif characters to kill himself.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

JetsGuy posted:

:smug: Yes, child.

I just felt a wave of rage flow through me. :tizzy:

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008

Taffer posted:

"Name's Olo....... Hans... Olo."

That really should have been with two L's.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Holy poo poo Heimdall. I busted out laughing when he walked down talking in a lady Asgard voice all enthusiastically.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

So I've been watching dead like me on amazon and it's Vancouver as gently caress. So far they've had zipacna, apophis twice and dr. Brody twice, never mind that I swear the little cafe they all the reapers meet up in is the same one that sg1 used when Daniel was re ascended. Sometimes I'm pretty sure they used the same loving booth Daniel twiddled his thumbs in. Oh and Daisy is the same actress that was on Rodney's side of that Atlantis episode where he and Shepard are figure out their ancient sims game isn't actually a game.

Dr. Lee and Doc Fraiser too

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 25, 2013

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
It is the same cafe.
I'm pretty sure Dead Like Me used it first and it was reused in SG1.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
Here's a website by Richard Dean Anderson's internet ghostwriter that lists a bunch of locations:

http://www.rdanderson.com/stargate/location/location1.htm

It's incredible how many of those places show up in other Vancouver shows.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Noni posted:

Here's a website by Richard Dean Anderson's internet ghostwriter that lists a bunch of locations:

http://www.rdanderson.com/stargate/location/location1.htm

It's incredible how many of those places show up in other Vancouver shows.

You post in a weird assortment of the same threads that I do

E: Also, that link is effin awesome

Tom Brady fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 25, 2013

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ugh, Christ, sg-1 gets so irredeemably awful the moment claudia black shows up. I can never make it past the first episode of season 9.

Why did they ever put her on the show, whyyyyyy

Unfunny flat-voice bad-joke-delivery man extraordinare certainly doesn't help.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Finally somebody agrees with me here :colbert:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Conquistador posted:

Well, now two of you can be completely wrong about something.
I watched The Ripple Effect again last night and once I started noticing that on over-the-shoulder Carter-Carter conversations, the double's hair is never right, I couldn't stop noticing it.
Goddamn it, hair. :argh:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Claudia Black's character, Vala (mal Doran), is completely terrible when she shows up. It's so bad that they change is drastically by the next season. When she first shows up, you're given the impression that she Qetesh's host for a very long time, but, except for the plot involving Athena, this is practically retconned away as they fill the rest of her backstory in in later episode. There's simply no room for her to have been a host for more than a few years. I guess I hate her in season 9 and think she's entertaining in season 10.

But I like the Ori as an enemy, so what do I know...

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Conquistador posted:

When I first came too this thread it blew me away that some people actually LIKED her. I always thought she was so horrendously bad ever since she first showed up on screen, I still can't comprehend how people can stand here.

The Ori arc could have been pretty good if it hadn't been for her, and to a somewhat lesser degree, Mitchell. He's not as aggressively bad, but he's just really boring and uninteresting as a character. His constant failed attempts at humor are seriously cringe-worthy too.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
"earth minutes"

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

So I've been watching dead like me on amazon and it's Vancouver as gently caress. So far they've had zipacna, apophis twice and dr. Brody twice, never mind that I swear the little cafe they all the reapers meet up in is the same one that sg1 used when Daniel was re ascended. Sometimes I'm pretty sure they used the same loving booth Daniel twiddled his thumbs in. Oh and Daisy is the same actress that was on Rodney's side of that Atlantis episode where he and Shepard are figure out their ancient sims game isn't actually a game.

Dr. Lee and Doc Fraiser too

I watched Dead Like Me before I got into Stargate and I basically poo poo a brick when I saw the cafe in Stargate.

"Wait, so Der Waffle House is the ancient's form of purgatory?"

Was also pleasantly surprised to see Laura Harris (Daisy) in SG:A. Mainly because she's cute as hell.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Taffer posted:

When I first came too this thread it blew me away that some people actually LIKED her. I always thought she was so horrendously bad ever since she first showed up on screen, I still can't comprehend how people can stand here.

The Ori arc could have been pretty good if it hadn't been for her, and to a somewhat lesser degree, Mitchell. He's not as aggressively bad, but he's just really boring and uninteresting as a character. His constant failed attempts at humor are seriously cringe-worthy too.

I agree whole-heartedly.

She's pretty, yeah, but annoying as hell. I can't believe (and willing suspension of belief will allow me to accept stargates, teleporters, alien parasite gods, etc., but NOT THIS!) that the US military or Stargate Command would let someone with her "issues" be part of the team like that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Effingham posted:

I agree whole-heartedly.

She's pretty, yeah, but annoying as hell. I can't believe (and willing suspension of belief will allow me to accept stargates, teleporters, alien parasite gods, etc., but NOT THIS!) that the US military or Stargate Command would let someone with her "issues" be part of the team like that.

Plus, it's downright insulting to every other member of the Stargate program who trains hard and has career aspirations to advance in the program that some random fuckup from ofworld with "real world experiance" can just jump right on to SG-1. it's not like they said "Okay, Vala, here's our feeder program for offworld applicants to the stargate program, and Daniel jackson put in a good word for you and got you an internship with SG-17" nope. Straight to SG-1.

Teal'c, by comparison, was a much more special case: First, he was much earlier in the program, i.e. got in on the ground floor and was brought along due to directly assisting in specific missions to which his expertise and intimate knowledge of the enemy was key. His formal acceptance into the program was a courtesy, yes, but he had proven his loyalty and was a battle-hardened professional soldier. He had and continued to have a valuable diplomatic role as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Claudia Black is a goddess.

That is all I have to say on the matter.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Snak posted:

Plus, it's downright insulting to every other member of the Stargate program who trains hard and has career aspirations to advance in the program that some random fuckup from ofworld with "real world experiance" can just jump right on to SG-1. it's not like they said "Okay, Vala, here's our feeder program for offworld applicants to the stargate program, and Daniel jackson put in a good word for you and got you an internship with SG-17" nope. Straight to SG-1.

I see you're not familiar with a certain Daniel Jackson.

Also all you Claudia Black haters means there's just more of her for me.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WarLocke posted:

There was also the fact that she has more Ori experience than anyone else.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
:laugh:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Well for starters, he wasn't constantly sabotaging missions for personal gain, or trying to sex up every member of the opposite sex he ran into. Also he was from earth so his interests were more domestic. The comparison with Teal'c doesn't really work either cause the circumstances were totally different.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

Ah yes, one of the two people most directly responsible for making the stargate work. Totally just jumped the line on that one. Again, real credentials, established role in the field: that of translating alien languages, which he is the world's leading expert at. Again, Both Daniel and Teal'c joined SG-1 when it was ONLY sg team. By time vala comes around, it's a lot less believable.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I don't see whats wrong with a character being sexual, I have yet to see anybody complain about Shepard with that regard

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Taffer posted:

Well for starters, he wasn't trying to sex up every member of the opposite sex he ran into.

Are you talking about Daniel Jackson here?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rhyno posted:

Claudia Black is a goddess.

That is all I have to say on the matter.

So is Shub-Niggurath. The prosecution rests.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

bobkatt013 posted:

Are you talking about Daniel Jackson here?

No, just Michael Shanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Conquistador posted:

I don't see whats wrong with a character being sexual, I have yet to see anybody complain about Shepard with that regard

Nah, he's got a pretty bad case of captain Kirk syndrome, but he's not even in the same galaxy as vala. ( :rimshot: )