Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Yup, that sounds like the vendor trying to give you the absolute minimum. It's up to him and FedEx to figure out who pays what, but you shouldn't be left with a busted monitor like that unless they give you a much sweeter deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dark Solux posted:

Hell no. I'd say push for a new one, return shipping prepaid and have him cross ship it to you.

Edit: I'm guessing he didn't get the optional insurance, which places him squarely at fault for not packaging it securely.
Replacement is one thing, but cross shipping is a luxury that even most retailers won't do.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

DrDork posted:

You can certainly try and see if you like the resulting color shifts--if not you can always just delete the profile and go back to default. It will not, however, have any impact on backlight glow, as that's a physical property of your monitor, and not something that can be calibrated away.

Yeah, I realized for the longest time my RGB settings had B set for 100. I actually liked it but I guess being more accurate is better.

Edit: I ended up copying the color profile of one of the admins of the 3dvision-blog that has the same monitor as me. Turned out pretty well but I might buff up the saturation. I'm torn between "Right looking" and "Good looking to me"

Ularg fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 17, 2013

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I'm thinking about upgrading from my current dual monitor setup (mismatched monitors to boot) to a 3 monitor setup with the Dell Ultrasharps. Probably piece by piece since I doubt I'll be able to afford 3 all at once.
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSha...d=INBZAPSDDHF8B is this a good deal for the 2412's or should I wait for a sale? I'm half tempted to wait a couple months and hope for the best around black friday.

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard
Trying to decide what's the best method of switching between my Computer monitor and TV with the PS4/Computer without the need to constantly be plugging and unplugging the hdmi cables.

I'm guessing I'll need to HDMI switches? Ultimatly I'd want to be able to switch between the TV and Monitor with either the PS4 (when I get it) and Computer.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Nullsmack posted:

I'm thinking about upgrading from my current dual monitor setup (mismatched monitors to boot) to a 3 monitor setup with the Dell Ultrasharps. Probably piece by piece since I doubt I'll be able to afford 3 all at once.
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSha...d=INBZAPSDDHF8B is this a good deal for the 2412's or should I wait for a sale? I'm half tempted to wait a couple months and hope for the best around black friday.

You won't find 2412 Ultrasharps for under $250 unless you have a corporate account with Dell. $268 is a great price, anything under $290 is a good price $280-$310 is the normal price range.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Dell-UltraSharp-24-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/product/B005JN9310

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Filthee Fingas posted:

Trying to decide what's the best method of switching between my Computer monitor and TV with the PS4/Computer without the need to constantly be plugging and unplugging the hdmi cables.

I'm guessing I'll need to HDMI switches? Ultimatly I'd want to be able to switch between the TV and Monitor with either the PS4 (when I get it) and Computer.

HDMI switches change between inputs to a monitor, not between outputs from one device. I don't think they work in reverse, and HDCP probably hates that if they do.

On a PC it's easy enough to get a card with multiple outputs and toggle between them in Windows. The PS4 is only going to have a single one though. You can do it on the PS3 because it still has an A/V adapter, but apparently the PS4 is ditching that.

vvv That thing is pretty cool. vvv

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 17, 2013

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Filthee Fingas posted:

You want something like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=6415&seq=1&format=2

You can have up to 4 inputs and output to 2 devices.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
Going back to Cheap Korean Monitorchat (CKM) for a second. As they all only have DVI-D inputs with no AD/Bypass board - am I still able to do this:

code:
Computer--->HDMI--->Receiver--->HDMI--->HDMI-DVI-D Adapter--->Monitor

and have it work?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Illuminati by Nature posted:

Going back to Cheap Korean Monitorchat (CKM) for a second. As they all only have DVI-D inputs with no AD/Bypass board - am I still able to do this:

code:
Computer--->HDMI--->Receiver--->HDMI--->HDMI-DVI-D Adapter--->Monitor

and have it work?

HDMI is single-link only so you wouldn't be able to run at native resolution (and if you get a model that doesn't have a scaler you'd be screwed as they don't run at non-native res).

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Mr.Radar posted:

HDMI is single-link only so you wouldn't be able to run at native resolution (and if you get a model that doesn't have a scaler you'd be screwed as they don't run at non-native res).

Bugger. I need to use the thing as my tv as well (boxee box, Xbox etc) but they all need to run through the receiver. I may have to save up and get a U2713 or something then :(

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard

Mr.Radar posted:

So if I have one of the Korean 27" monitors that doesn't have a scaler, will it not work full stop or will it just have black areas around the screen (since I'd be playing a 720/1080 on a 1440 screen)?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Filthee Fingas posted:

So if I have one of the Korean 27" monitors that doesn't have a scaler, will it not work full stop or will it just have black areas around the screen (since I'd be playing a 720/1080 on a 1440 screen)?
For the vast majority, it's not-work-full-stop. Many video cards will let you get around that by simply doing the upscaling themselves (and hence still sending a 1440 signal), but if you're talking a receiver unit or XBox something that physically cannot send a 1440 signal, no, you're screwed. You can get one of the ~$400 versions that have a scaler, but that chips away at their cost advantage over Dell's and other 27" monitors, and also introduces latency that is not present in the no-scaler versions (admittedly, the latency is no worse than in many other 27" 2560x1440 monitors).

MasterColin
Aug 4, 2006

Filthee Fingas posted:

As the person above me said, the ~400$ versions do it. When I change my resolution of a game in full screen to 1080p, the monitor has an onscreen message saying the new resolution. It then reverts to 1440p when I alt tab. Once my support issue is cleared up, I can refer you a monitor/vendor.

Continuing the saga of the broken Korean 27". I asked for a 250$ refund which is pretty simple to me but they read it/refunded it as "Paid 399 - 250 refund = 149" and refunded me $149.

I love the conversation I'm having though.

Me: I will accept a refund of $250 USD
Them: "Well received your message again.
Your reply has more persuasive power indeed.
I thought and thought and then decided.
Your words is right.

I will refund $250.00 as your request.
With refund $250.00, we have agreed mutually."

Them: "Your paid amount is $399.00
Partial refund amount is USD149.00
You got $250.00"

Then they only sent $149?

Kinda confused how that worked on their part but it continues. I'm not willing to pay $250 for a broken monitor and I tried to explain this.

I have no idea if this think will last a month or 60months. Either way, I'm willing to risk $150 on it and replace it when needed but not 250$

MasterColin fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Sep 18, 2013

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
More Koean monitor fun! I got a Qnix monitor that I thought did not have a scaler and assumed that stuff like bios screens would be in a box with black borders, but I got a full scaled version even though I hadn't installed drivers or anything on my video card. Might they have started adding scalers? Is there any way to check?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Momonari kun posted:

More Koean monitor fun! I got a Qnix monitor that I thought did not have a scaler and assumed that stuff like bios screens would be in a box with black borders, but I got a full scaled version even though I hadn't installed drivers or anything on my video card. Might they have started adding scalers? Is there any way to check?

The easiest way to check is to plug something in that is known to not have a built-in scaler. Something like a 360, PS3, or cable box.

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.

Krailor posted:

The easiest way to check is to plug something in that is known to not have a built-in scaler. Something like a 360, PS3, or cable box.

Don't have any of those, and the monitor only has DVI input.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
My Korean monitor (Shimian QH270) does not have a scaler since I was using an HDMI->DVI cable when I plugged it in and it didn't work. Switching to a dual link DVI->DVI cable fixed that problem. I am able to see the bios and everything scaled up to full screen. I guess the video card handles all that (Nvidia 570)

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Squibbles posted:

My Korean monitor (Shimian QH270) does not have a scaler since I was using an HDMI->DVI cable when I plugged it in and it didn't work. Switching to a dual link DVI->DVI cable fixed that problem. I am able to see the bios and everything scaled up to full screen. I guess the video card handles all that (Nvidia 570)
This is correct. Most video cards that are capable of putting out a 1440p signal will do so automatically when presented with one of the Korean 27" monitors (since the EDID the monitor sends the video card tells it what it needs). The vast majority of cards will simply scale whatever image they've got up to 1440p, which is why your BIOS still works. It is also why, even if you're planning on using an up-scaled 1080p or whatever, you still need a Dual-Link DVI cable, as the final signal going to the monitor is still a 1440p one.

MasterColin
Aug 4, 2006

MasterColin posted:

Continuing the saga of the broken Korean 27". I asked for a 250$ refund which is pretty simple to me but they read it/refunded it as "Paid 399 - 250 refund = 149" and refunded me $149.

I love the conversation I'm having though.

Me: I will accept a refund of $250 USD
Them: "Well received your message again.
Your reply has more persuasive power indeed.
I thought and thought and then decided.
Your words is right.

I will refund $250.00 as your request.
With refund $250.00, we have agreed mutually."

Them: "Your paid amount is $399.00
Partial refund amount is USD149.00
You got $250.00"

Then they only sent $149?

Kinda confused how that worked on their part but it continues. I'm not willing to pay $250 for a broken monitor and I tried to explain this.

I have no idea if this think will last a month or 60months. Either way, I'm willing to risk $150 on it and replace it when needed but not 250$

So finally sounds like they are going to refund the remainder. Fedex's fault and they refunded me 250$. I'm happy with the customer service. Not to mention no dead pixels.

I would add ECOMADE ARENA to the safe/preferred buying list

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm sure this had been answered to death but what's the consensus on HDTV vs. Regular computer monitor for gaming?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It will generally be an awful laggy mess, although depending on the TV it might be OK (Some have an actual game mode to reduce input lag, but in general, TVs are far, far laggier than normal monitors are).

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

SalTheBard posted:

I'm sure this had been answered to death but what's the consensus on HDTV vs. Regular computer monitor for gaming?

I don't know if there's a more comprehensive site but you should check out http://www.displaylag.com/ for this.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

SalTheBard posted:

I used an HDTV for a monitor for years, worked great.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Coredump posted:

I used an HDTV for a monitor for years, worked great.

I'm using a 54" plasma as my monitor now while I play through a bunch of cross-platform games with a wireless gamepad and it's totally fine. It does suck for trying to read text but I mostly just boot directly into Steam's Big Picture mode these days.

It's also a nice preview of what console game graphics will look like in the year 2020.

The downside is that I can't really play anything that's not a cross-platform port with controller support. But, I have enough of those games in my backlog that for the time being I'm OK not being able to play Diablo 3, Starcraft, Guild Wars 2, etc.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 19, 2013

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

SalTheBard posted:

If your goal is to use it like a console - just gaming, with a wireless gamepad from a television appropriate distance, it will be acceptable.

If you intend to put the tv on your desk and use it like a computer monitor, don't. It will look awful.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
[edit] I apparently already asked this, so nm. :)

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 19, 2013

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Thanks for the replies everyone! I actually decided to get the Asus VG248 because of good reviews. Wow going from 20in to 24in is amazing.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

This thread was of help to me a while ago so here's my results:

I'm an artist and do huge prints of photos that are displayed in nice galleries and cost a lot of money so things need to be Done Right. I was replacing an Apple Cinema Display. I looked a lot at monitors that displayed all of Adobe RGB and were still CCFL backlit and buying calibration equipment that was four figures and a FireGL card so I had a continuous 10-bit pipeline blah blah blah

What it came down to was no matter how perfectly accurate the color on my monitor was, when adding in the variables of paper and ink combinations, lighting, glazing, etc., that it didn't matter. 'Convential' monitors displaying 99% or whatever of sRGB were sufficient if the overall quality of the display was good. I will always having to tweak based upon what comes out of the printer, there will always be test prints.

So I bought a Viewsonic VP2770-LED and, because it was LED backlit I needed a new colorimeter, I bought an i1Display.

The two work together marvelously, and I'm very happy.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

This thread was of help to me a while ago so here's my results:

I'm an artist and do huge prints of photos that are displayed in nice galleries and cost a lot of money so things need to be Done Right. I was replacing an Apple Cinema Display. I looked a lot at monitors that displayed all of Adobe RGB and were still CCFL backlit and buying calibration equipment that was four figures and a FireGL card so I had a continuous 10-bit pipeline blah blah blah

What it came down to was no matter how perfectly accurate the color on my monitor was, when adding in the variables of paper and ink combinations, lighting, glazing, etc., that it didn't matter. 'Convential' monitors displaying 99% or whatever of sRGB were sufficient if the overall quality of the display was good. I will always having to tweak based upon what comes out of the printer, there will always be test prints.

So I bought a Viewsonic VP2770-LED and, because it was LED backlit I needed a new colorimeter, I bought an i1Display.

The two work together marvelously, and I'm very happy.

This seems to be your only post in this iteration of the topic so I can't see exactly what it is you were asking about, but yeah, you always need to proof anything that's printed. It's a bitch.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

If your goal is to use it like a console - just gaming, with a wireless gamepad from a television appropriate distance, it will be acceptable.

If you intend to put the tv on your desk and use it like a computer monitor, don't. It will look awful.

Not true. Worked great for me and everyone who ever sat at my desk.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
I'm planning on getting a 27" monitor somewhat soon and I would like a suggestion or two. That Dell one I've seen recommened in the OP(s) is outside my price range. I'm looking for one close to the $400-$500 range. I was looking at this overlord computer one as well as these two Monoprice monitors. I'm not sure which is the best for me.

I don't really care about the 120Hz refresh touted on the overlord one. I'm not much of a hardcore gamer (although I do play games occasionally). Color reproduction is more important than gaming performance since I do photoshop and 3d texture stuff, but not at a level to where I can justify a $700+ monitor.

Any direction you could point me would be great, even if you just tell me I'm dumb and should save my money instead for a dell or something.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Nondescript Van posted:

I'm planning on getting a 27" monitor somewhat soon and I would like a suggestion or two. That Dell one I've seen recommened in the OP(s) is outside my price range. I'm looking for one close to the $400-$500 range. I was looking at this overlord computer one as well as these two Monoprice monitors. I'm not sure which is the best for me.

I don't really care about the 120Hz refresh touted on the overlord one. I'm not much of a hardcore gamer (although I do play games occasionally). Color reproduction is more important than gaming performance since I do photoshop and 3d texture stuff, but not at a level to where I can justify a $700+ monitor.

Any direction you could point me would be great, even if you just tell me I'm dumb and should save my money instead for a dell or something.

In Australia (can't comment on the US for obvious reasons) 27inchers regularly (at least once every one-two months) go on sale for around $500. If time isn't a huge concern I'd look and wait for any deals that pop up.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Coredump posted:

Not true. Worked great for me and everyone who ever sat at my desk.

My friend uses a 32" 1080p TV (not some generic brand either) as a monitor and I want to gouge my eyes out every time I look at his screen up close. Huge visible pixels, blurry text - It's poo poo. Even a regular monitor at 1080p looks like arse if it's bigger than 24 inches or so. You must either have incredibly low standards, or have never seen a decent 1440p screen for comparison.

Guni posted:

In Australia (can't comment on the US for obvious reasons) 27inchers regularly (at least once every one-two months) go on sale for around $500. If time isn't a huge concern I'd look and wait for any deals that pop up.

I'll add to this that anyone in Australia should be going out of their way to purchase their screen (or any hardware really) from an Australian retailer, not try and get it shipped from overseas, so that you can be sure to be buying from a retailer that will adhere (or can be induced to adhere) to Australian consumer protection law.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I wish there was an accurate way to take a screenshot of a game and share what the color calibration and brightness/contrast looks for other people over the internet. I'm playing around with my non-gaming presets on my monitor while playing Planetside 2 and it is absolutely gorgeous. The saturation is a bit high, but I'm on what is basically Hoth on sunset and everything just pops and looks so great with each other. Nothing looks washed out like with my game presets and so far nothing looks too dark to see like with my more cinematic preset.

Edit: I'm also finding out I need to change my monitors preset for almost every game I play. Some games the standard or game preset makes everything look washed out. On the Scenery / Theater presets it makes some of the darks too dark to see what you are supposed to be able to see.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 20, 2013

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy

Nondescript Van posted:

The Dell U2713HM goes on sale for $550 at lot if you want to spring for one of those.

Otherwise I'd say of the 3 you listed, the cheaper monoprice one is the way to go. Although I doubt they're any different than the many 27" Korean IPS and PLS panels. I'm personally using 2 Qnix QX2710s that I picked up for $270

Mashed Potato
Aug 29, 2008
I'm trying to find a way to get my Dell UltraSharp U2412M to work with my Xbox 360. I've found a hdmi to dvi cable that works (no HDMI input on the monitor), but I'm not sure if there is any way I can get audio through this monitor. Would connecting usb speakers to the monitor work?

If there's no way I can get this to function, I'll most likely want to get a new PC monitor that supports HDMI. Someone on this page said they bought an Asus VG248, which seems to be the sort of thing I'd be looking for. Are there any other cheaper monitors that support HDMI and have speakers or an input for a 3.5mm audio jack?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Mashed Potato posted:

I'm trying to find a way to get my Dell UltraSharp U2412M to work with my Xbox 360. I've found a hdmi to dvi cable that works (no HDMI input on the monitor), but I'm not sure if there is any way I can get audio through this monitor. Would connecting usb speakers to the monitor work?

If there's no way I can get this to function, I'll most likely want to get a new PC monitor that supports HDMI. Someone on this page said they bought an Asus VG248, which seems to be the sort of thing I'd be looking for. Are there any other cheaper monitors that support HDMI and have speakers or an input for a 3.5mm audio jack?

I'd probably just buy the official VGA cable, then use either the red and white jacks with a simple adapter to 3.5mm, honestly, the 360 is only rendering games in 1280x720, I think you'd not notice VGA vs HDMI, but I could be wrong.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 20, 2013

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Nondescript Van posted:

So far my 27" Korean monitor has been lovely, but I'm of the opinion you really can't go wrong with a Dell Ultrasharp. I have two 23" models and they've been excellent since day one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

The Lord Bude posted:

Huge visible pixels, blurry text - It's poo poo.

The Lord Bude posted:

I want to gouge my eyes out every time I look at his screen up close.

I don't want to be "that guy," but it probably looks better if you're looking at the screen from the intended distance.