Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
looooooolll

quote:

Q. If the cost of a new home is too
high, why not lower your prices?
A. The industry does adjust pricing to what the market
demands. However, there does come a time in a
development project’s critical path where all costs
become fixed. This is the point when deals are
confirmed and plans are in place, and in order to
secure bank financing for construction, a certain profit
margin must be achieved, according to bank
standards, or the project will not proceed. The result is
the units selling prices and at this point adjustments
are nearly impossible.

man gently caress these loving people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I don't often find myself on the same side as real estate developers, but a 100% jump in a 5-figure tax from one year to the next strikes me as a little odd. This is the kind of cost that should've been set in stone decades ago, and then adjusted for inflation.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lexicon posted:

I don't often find myself on the same side as real estate developers, but a 100% jump in a 5-figure tax from one year to the next strikes me as a little odd. This is the kind of cost that should've been set in stone decades ago, and then adjusted for inflation.

The city is just getting their cut of what recently has been much larger pie. Unfortunately they waited until the market is on the cusp of a return to normal so those fees will likely have the predicted serious downside. Not to say that the industry is deserving of any sympathy.

v: Those fees are two or three years too late to actually redistribute the wealth. If developers are still getting the same margins during the next 5 years that they have been, then we are all doomed.

ocrumsprug fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 10, 2013

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

To me it's more like a precision strike at hammering out a new world order for the real estate industry. Developers have gotten extremely rich in the last 10 years. It's time to redistribute that wealth.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Cultural Imperial posted:

To me it's more like a precision strike at hammering out a new world order for the real estate industry. Developers have gotten extremely rich in the last 10 years. It's time to redistribute that wealth.

Fair enough. They should've thought of that over, you know, the 10 years though.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

Fair enough. They should've thought of that over, you know, the 10 years though.

I think you're touching on an interesting problem relating to municipal politics. How do you plan for the long term when your mandate is for 4 years? I know this isn't a new question and to some extent, it has been answered by federal bureacracy. However, municipal employees are a much different beast.

With respect to Vancouver, we can make educated statements to the effect that city bureaucracy never saw the 2008 credit crunch coming when they made their foray into real estate speculation with the potemkin village. Property tax rates in vancouver have risen by what, 15-20% in 5 years? That's fuckin crazy high and rest assured, they sure as hell didn't plan on it.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I think you're touching on an interesting problem relating to municipal politics. How do you plan for the long term when your mandate is for 4 years? I know this isn't a new question and to some extent, it has been answered by federal bureacracy. However, municipal employees are a much different beast.

With respect to Vancouver, we can make educated statements to the effect that city bureaucracy never saw the 2008 credit crunch coming when they made their foray into real estate speculation with the potemkin village. Property tax rates in vancouver have risen by what, 15-20% in 5 years? That's fuckin crazy high and rest assured, they sure as hell didn't plan on it.

Yeah. Clearly a difficult problem.

I don't think the Olympic village debacle has been given the opprobrium by the public that it deserves, by the way. Wall-to-wall financial incompetence (plus bad luck of course). I can think of no better exemplar for why government's should focus on extracting fair and appropriate taxes rather than trying to make a quick buck along with everyone else.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I'm currently living in the hellscape that is Phoenix, AZ and I'm planning on moving back to Winnipeg some time in the next year. Looking at the house prices and I can't believe what things are selling for up there. It's been less than two years but anything in my two target areas are way over priced for what you can get.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Oh for gently caress'S sake. Garth Turner is reporting that apparently real estate boards are booking multiple transactions on single sales.

http://www.greaterfool.ca/2013/09/10/mlscapades/

quote:

Go to realtor.ca. Zoom in on Burlington, Ontario, for example. Go to ‘Gallery view.’ See for yourself. Above is a screen shot of listings that pop up – in duplicate or triplicate. The town house unit at 2301 Cavendish Drive is listed three times – with separate MLS numbers. The one with no letter before it is with a local board, while the ‘W’ is a listing on the Toronto board and the ‘H’ lists it with the Hamilton board.

Again, I outwardly wonder - why has society decided any of this is ok? The cartels, the opacity, the rent-seeking, and now what appears to be outright fraud, if true.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lexicon posted:

Oh for gently caress'S sake. Garth Turner is reporting that apparently real estate boards are booking multiple transactions on single sales.

http://www.greaterfool.ca/2013/09/10/mlscapades/

Again, I outwardly wonder - why has society decided any of this is ok? The cartels, the opacity, the rent-seeking, and now what appears to be outright fraud, if true.

Well it's a pretty creative way to feed the buy a home fast while you can, sales have never been this high!

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control
Lexicon, where's that Canadian finance/investing thread you promised? *shakes fist* I'm more of a lurker, but I'd love to see that kind of thing here.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

rhazes posted:

Lexicon, where's that Canadian finance/investing thread you promised? *shakes fist* I'm more of a lurker, but I'd love to see that kind of thing here.

Sorry, I've got the first post about half written, but a minor work catastrophe emerged over the weekend and I had to put on hold. It'll be out shortly - likely tonight :)

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Lexicon posted:

Sorry, I've got the first post about half written, but a minor work catastrophe emerged over the weekend and I had to put on hold. It'll be out shortly - likely tonight :)

Mostly a lurker too but i'm looking forward to that thread if it helps.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control

Lexicon posted:

No problem! I just wasn't sure if hadn't happened yet partly because you weren't sure how much interest there would be for it.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Should be done within the hour. Soliciting for titles... if nothing better it will be "The Canadian Finance and Investing thread - Paying More is our National Pastime"

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lexicon posted:

Should be done within the hour. Soliciting for titles... if nothing better it will be "The Canadian Finance and Investing thread - Paying More is our National Pastime"

The Canadian Finance and Investing thread - Returns Less than Inflation, Guaranteed!

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
On a Long Enough Timeline, All Profit Drops to Zero

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

ocrumsprug posted:

The Canadian Finance and Investing thread - Returns Less than Inflation, Guaranteed!

I like this, but it doesn't fit.

Anyway, it's up: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3569987

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
So the data from the National Household Survey is out! Should reveal something interesting about the housing market/bubble right? Well maybe not ...

quote:

For these reasons, Statistics Canada made clear that you can’t compare NHS findings to previous census or other surveys they have conducted. The NHS is a family portrait with a lot of people missing.

That means we can’t ask the important questions about the differences in how we fared before and after the 2008 crisis on critical issues such as housing affordability. We also don’t really know how big our problems are, and to what degree they are widespread or localized.

So much for informed policy development.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Duck Rodgers posted:

So much for informed policy development.

If the facts are inconvenient... don't bother recording them in the first place.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I don't know how to express my rage with the decline of stats can.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
This is worth a read from the president of the federal reserve bank of san francisco:
http://www.frbsf.org/our-district/p...ay-never-today/

tl;dr asset price bubbles are here to stay. people are shortsighted and make decisions based upon limited information, such as past performance to predict future performance. this exacerbates asset price bubbles. the best policy makers can do is
a) formulate policy not to prevent such happenings but to dampen the effects
b) work with a much longer time horizon

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
SO MUCH FOR THE HOUSING BUST MOTHERFUCKERS

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...rticle14383332/

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

That's a relief, I guess I can tell the wife we *can* buy a house afterall.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ocrumsprug posted:

Also that you were wrong all this time and could have been building equity! Now you're too late to the game.
FACT: anyone who says there's a bubble are just jealous fools who didn't buy in early enough and now are just bitter about it.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

ocrumsprug posted:

Well there's no such thing as an unaffordable house purchase when interest rates are this low.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Well there's no such thing as an unaffordable house purchase when interest rates are this low.

Having been watching list prices decline in Vancouver for the past year from absurd to silly levels, I have instead chosen to believe that I am actually being paid to not buy a house. "Wow, you just dropped your ask price by double my families gross income. I certainly feel terrible for not buying a year ago now."

Since society seems to forgive realtor math pretty easily, I am hoping I can get away with just pretending I got a 200% raise by not buying. I can then use this windfall to buy the G&M so they can tell me it isn't happening. It is sort of win-win if you think about it.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Heh, realtor math

Sorry, I meant: REALTOR© Math™

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
Hah, first time reading this thread. Just bought a house in Halifax this summer, and this thread may have convinced me not to.

But looks like it wasn't a terrible idea after all!

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Hah, first time reading this thread. Just bought a house in Halifax this summer, and this thread may have convinced me not to.

Well, look on the bright side here on the east coast. We don't have far to fall. :)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Mainly because price income makes sense for some areas while other areas such as Calgary, BC and GTA are having much worse
bubble behavior looking at the price-income ratio:

Home debtorship does make sense if you have a stable job and are also in a area in which home ownership cost is
more attractive for renting.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Where'd you get that info from?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Where'd you get that info from?

from numbeo even though the RBC's free reports tend to be more comprehensive and also have
more useful stats:
http://www.rbc.com/economics/economic-reports/pdf/canadian-housing/house-may2013.pdf

For example looking at home affordability Halifax looks good since it's still meets the conservative
<25% rule of thumb of housing costs

However the GTA and Vancouver provide a amusing contrast

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Canadian Housing Bubble Thread: Location Location Location

I live in Vancouver so if I had the money to buy a house I would also have the money to move to the Caribbean and sit on a beach for the rest of my life.

Icemakor
Sep 11, 2000

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I'm trying to figure out what to do in halifax myself. I've got a good bit of cash in the bank and I'm just itching to pull the trigger (probably a detached $180K-200K house in spryfield or dartmouth).

This ships start here bullshit sort of throws a wrench in the mix.

Matthew_O
Sep 19, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Initial Disclaimer/Disclosure: I work for a Big 6 bank. I have some bias.

Everyone I work with sees the risk in housing. However, the general consensus is that the media has continuously overestimated the risk in terms of likelihood and severity.

Likelihood:

1) The American economy is key to avoiding a collapse. Fortunately, the American recovery seems to be real (albeit bumpy).
2) Continued price inflation is a real concern. Ideally, the hottest markets need to correct 3-5% a year for a few and the other markets hopefully remain flat.

Severity:

1) Canadian banks can handle a major hit. Of course it would not be fun: jobs would be lost and share prices would be beaten to a bloody pulp. But the banks are well capitalized and there is not a lot of toxic contract paper floating around. Not to mention that the Big 6 are not regional and have built-in geographic diversity.

2) Of the top 20 Canadian markets, only a few look truly bad. If the entire country looked like Vancouver then there would be "panic at the disco". The bubbles are very specific though, and as long as employment does not suffer, outlying areas may be kept afloat during a correction (Toronto/Vancouver and surrounding).

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I remember when I worked for a big 5 bank and was told constantly "buy stocks in banks, even if it isn't ours, they always go up forever."

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Matthew_O posted:

Initial Disclaimer/Disclosure: I work for a Big 6 bank. I have some bias.

Everyone I work with sees the risk in housing. However, the general consensus is that the media has continuously overestimated the risk in terms of likelihood and severity.

Likelihood:

1) The American economy is key to avoiding a collapse. Fortunately, the American recovery seems to be real (albeit bumpy).
2) Continued price inflation is a real concern. Ideally, the hottest markets need to correct 3-5% a year for a few and the other markets hopefully remain flat.

Severity:

1) Canadian banks can handle a major hit. Of course it would not be fun: jobs would be lost and share prices would be beaten to a bloody pulp. But the banks are well capitalized and there is not a lot of toxic contract paper floating around. Not to mention that the Big 6 are not regional and have built-in geographic diversity.

2) Of the top 20 Canadian markets, only a few look truly bad. If the entire country looked like Vancouver then there would be "panic at the disco". The bubbles are very specific though, and as long as employment does not suffer, outlying areas may be kept afloat during a correction (Toronto/Vancouver and surrounding).

I think I see the problems here. 1 is what the U.S. banks said back in the day, and 2 is just bitterly funny.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
This is related to the thread I think, and pretty interesting if we're actually starting to reclaim farmland (which we should be doing):

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/how-farmland-became-canadas-hottest-real-estate-market/article14394176/

quote:

Buy land, advised Mark Twain, because, as the punch line goes, they ain’t making any more of it. Fast forward to 2013 and that advice, as a look at prices for farmland shows, seems as prescient as ever.

As any farmer will readily tell you, the agriculture business has had a tough run. Agriculture was once an economic mainstay. Turn back the clock to 1950 and the sector employed nearly a fifth of Canada’s work force. Today, agriculture accounts for less than 2 per cent of the country’s employed workers, while its share of gross domestic product is also a shadow of what it once was. Farm prices have languished for decades, as Canada’s population has shifted from rural to urban. By the 1990s, North America was losing two acres of productive farmland to development every minute.

How the world has changed for Canada’s farmers in 2013. The hottest sector of the country’s real estate market is, you guessed it, farmland. The price of farmland in Canada has outpaced both residential and commercial real estate, gaining an average of 12 per cent over the last five years. In some hotspots, such as southwestern Ontario, the price-per-acre has been going up by as much as 50 per cent a year. Even pension plans and hedge funds have become players in the pursuit of prime agricultural land, interest that is only sending prices that much higher.

If global food prices are any indication, such investments could be a solid bet. Over the last decade, global food prices have more than doubled, according to the United Nations FAO Food Price Index, which tracks monthly changes in prices for international food commodities. The food riots stemming from that price inflation were part of the spark that set off the Arab Spring. So far this year prices have been falling, but they still remain within shouting distance of the record highs reached in 2011.

The strength in global food prices is no accident. The growth in global food demand is unrelenting. Part of the reason is due to population growth. The world is at 7-billion people and counting. But that’s not the only thing straining food supply. World grain demand has also soared, as households in fast-growing Asian countries trade in rice bowls for cheeseburgers. It takes seven pounds of grain to raise a pound of beef. That’s a whole lot more than it takes to make a loaf of bread. The newfound economic clout in emerging economies such as China and India, which between them have roughly 2.5 billion people, has allowed more people to diversify their diets. In turn, global meat consumption has bounded ahead at double the rate of population growth over the last two decades.

All that demand for protein bodes well for the world’s breadbaskets. That is if Mother Nature doesn’t get in the way first. A severe drought a few years ago forced Russia, the world’s third largest producer of wheat, barley and rye, to suspend grain exports for nearly a year. Before that a drought in China caused a spike in grain prices that affected everything from the price of pasta in Italy to the cost of tortillas in Mexico. Closer to home the US Midwest has been grinding through one of the worst droughts in more than half a century.

Climate change scientists warn that droughts and other agricultural shocks will be even more common in the future. Against a backdrop of climbing temperatures, Canada sits in an interesting spot. With a wealth of arable land and 7 per cent of the world’s fresh water, Canada’s agricultural potential is considerable. It’s also possible the amount of land under cultivation in Canada could actually increase as global temperatures continue to rise and the wheat belt climbs farther north.

Could it be that in the coming years we’ll also see farmers actually start reclaiming acres from far-flung suburbs? The idea is much more plausible now than it was only a few years ago. It was depressed farm prices that allowed prime agricultural land to be paved over in the first place. As food becomes more precious and more expensive, it will only add to the market forces that will push some of those farms to come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Matthew_O posted:

Leaving aside housing bubble collapse doomsday scenarios - are you/your colleagues not at least slightly troubled by the international comparisons of price:rent ratios, price:income ratios etc? Canada is solidly the leader of those league tables.