Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Hashtag Nascar posted:

lol transporters would be so fuckin good just to be abke to pos all the time cause you could trsnaport food and drink into your mouth and piss and poo poo out very ftw

the sudden absence of posts in yr colon would snap your blood pressure down too fast and you'd pass out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Shaggar posted:

I've always liked asamov's style. the characters aren't really important in most of his stuff, its all about the ideas and the universe and they're just the vehicle for the reader's exploration. plus in foundation he burns through piles of them cause he jumps around in time so the characters are even less important.

i'm still mad about how fresh prince vs. the robots portrayed asimov's lady robopsychiatrist

quote:

i guess i could understand how someone might not like that, but on the other hand i hate character studies in universes that make no sense (BSG).

it wasn't even that, the writers hosed around with the characters to fit their incoherent plot rather than letting the characters drive it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

raruler posted:

destination void was hard to read

literally, as in the book seemed to be written by someone using English words with another language's grammar. Naked Lunch was written more coherently.

i suppose it would make a certain kind of sense if the book were written from the perspective of the "machine" itself.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 19, 2013

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
frank herbert didn't alway hit home runs. the jesus incident was pretty good but i remember reading a short story where aliens communicated by dancing and the world would be destroyed unless humans could figure out how to talk to them or something.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
actually, i really liked the jesus incident. i should track down the sequels

edit: it's a sequel to destination void? dang, i didn't realize that.

doubledit: i forgot that it took place on pandora

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 19, 2013

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
hey, remember tron, the new one, with the daft punk soundtrack?

lol. what a stupid load of poo poo that was

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Amethyst posted:

hey, remember tron, the new one, with the daft punk soundtrack?

lol. what a stupid load of poo poo that was

pros
-daft punk
-jeff bridges
-cyberspace

cons
-plot
-charactres
-acting
people who arent jeff bridges or daft punks

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Improbable Lobster posted:

pros
-Olivias Wilde

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

remember the bit near the end where tron, the character, briefly turned good for no reason and they clumsily put in some audio samples from the first movie about how he loves the users or some dumb crap. lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
tron was cool as hell man gtfo here. the 1st tron was dumb as hell and so was the 2nd tron. theyre sposed to be vapid visual extravaganzas and it fkin delivered. i mean dude, did you see that total hot babe? and the neon? man that movie looked so loving cool and had a rad as hell sound track it really owned.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

i guess if you're content to slurp down poorly conceived, poorly written garbage it's great!

easy to digest, fun movies don't necessarily need to be completely incompetent. see all of steven spielberg's output

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
setting the bar awfully high. i wish all filmmakers were masters of spielbergs caliber but thats pretty unlikely hehe

youre correct of course but i don't have the heart to slam a tron movie i guess

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

also the soundtrack was bad. really bad. in my experience, people who love it don't listen to soundtracks or dance music very much

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

sorry smythe the above post is harsh i'm glad you like tron

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
no upon further reflection youre right but idk i go into a movie with certain expectations and w/r/t tron its to see some cool rear end poo poo and i think the tron;legagy was sufficiently cool looking. i guess i just dont expect every film to actually be good - but ive seen and worked on a lot of bad films so w/e

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

oh man an infinite digital world, we can really roll with our imaginations on this one

LETS MAKE EVERYTHING BLUE AND ORANGE

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

discs of tron was ok

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
tron was a feature-length daft punk music video, i dug it

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

game-players of tron

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Amethyst posted:

content to slurp down poorly conceived, poorly written garbage

speaking of this, i just saw star trek into darkness last night. is it spergy to be upset that most of the plot doesn't make any sense at all? two hours of looking at lens flares with a furrowed brow because the thing that just happened was retarded even using the jj-abrams-just-enjoy-the-ride logic.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
there are plot holes like the magic khan blood, but other than that its pretty straight forward

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Shaggar posted:

there are plot holes like the magic khan blood, but other than that its pretty straight forward

The teleporter poo poo is pretty dumb, why do you need starships if you can just teleport yourself across the galaxy?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Improbable Lobster posted:

pros
-daft punk
-jeff bridges
-cyberspace

cons
-plot
-charactres
-acting
people who arent jeff bridges or daft punks

murderous guy-who-definitely-isn't-david-bowie was cool

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

golgo13sf posted:

The teleporter poo poo is pretty dumb, why do you need starships if you can just teleport yourself across the galaxy?

because in star trek the real prime directive is never actually think about the technology

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Shaggar posted:

why does admiral robocop set up an overly elaborate double/triple cross with cryo-torpedoes when apparantly earth and kronos are a few minutes apart and you can just go there without any resistance and glass the planet if so inclined. everything about it was dumb. also i don't understand the guy at the beginning who is perfectly willing to murder dozens of innocent people to help his daughter. that's not very federationy.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

it sux because i really like all those actors and i wanted to have a good time :smith:

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

rigberry enema posted:

also i don't understand the guy at the beginning who is perfectly willing to murder dozens of innocent people to help his daughter. that's not very federationy.

it's because jjtrek humans are capable of having conflicting loyalties and making irrational decisions for emotional reasons, unlike rodenberry's race of perfect boy scouts who do the right thing every time. its one of the relatively few things it does better than most trek.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rigberry enema posted:

why does admiral robocop set up an overly elaborate double/triple cross with cryo-torpedoes when apparantly earth and kronos are a few minutes apart and you can just go there without any resistance and glass the planet if so inclined. everything about it was dumb. also i don't understand the guy at the beginning who is perfectly willing to murder dozens of innocent people to help his daughter. that's not very federationy.

Robocop uses the cryo-torpedoes to control khan, khan tricks kirk into believing Robocop is the greater evil, kirk helps khan take over the big ship and kill Robocop and get his people back, khan betrays kirk

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Shaggar posted:

Robocop uses the cryo-torpedoes to control khan, khan tricks kirk into believing Robocop is the greater evil, kirk helps khan take over the big ship and kill Robocop and get his people back, khan betrays kirk

i get that's what happened but why did the above go onto the white board and get enthusiastically circled at the admiral brainstorm session before "take our new fuckoff dreadnaught to kronos and blow up khan + kronos + any klingons that are currently on kronos" or "use intergalactic teleporter to send a few dozen 50 megaton bombs to kronos"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
only khan had the teleporter and it fried when he used it (lol).

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Shaggar posted:

only khan had the teleporter and it fried when he used it (lol).

:doh:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
transwarp beaming and khan blood are the two dumbest things in the movie cause they're universe breaking, but they're never talked about again. also they let the writers be lazy instead of just doing something more plausible. ex: khan could have just escaped to Qo'nos using his ship cause Starfleet was in a state of disarray following his attack. this fits with what we just witnessed and reminds the viewer that Starfleet was pretty much wiped out in the first movie and wouldnt have been able to immediately follow him, which is an important plot point for this movie.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
how come benedict holmes didn't shoot a missile into the conference room and immediately blow up everyone in the briefing room

why didn't he teleport himself into the room and shoot everyone up with the chaingun-phaser

why didn't he teleport grenades into the room

why did they have to get khan's blood when they could have just grabbed blood from one of the other supermen that they had to thaw anyway to free up a freezer for kirk

if they don't have electronic stasis units like in TNG then why did they abandon the cryo-stasis unit technology

why did carol marcus have to be portrayed as weak and helpless in the face of male strength

why did uhura not actually get to defeat khan but merely enabled spock's triumph

why does every new movie hinge on getting spok mad

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

^^^ yeah that bugged me a lot, let's see we've got 72 other ubermensches in the cargo hold, let's not use their blood instead.

Shaggar posted:

transwarp beaming and khan blood are the two dumbest things in the movie cause they're universe breaking, but they're never talked about again. also they let the writers be lazy instead of just doing something more plausible. ex: khan could have just escaped to Qo'nos using his ship cause Starfleet was in a state of disarray following his attack. this fits with what we just witnessed and reminds the viewer that Starfleet was pretty much wiped out in the first movie and wouldnt have been able to immediately follow him, which is an important plot point for this movie.

that actually makes a lot of sense. makes me wonder why the admiral planned to incite a war though if the fleet was still in tatters.

Chum Scandal fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 19, 2013

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

quote not edit

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

rigberry enema posted:

that actually makes a lot of sense. makes me wonder why the admiral planned to incite a war though if the fleet was still in tatters.

he was going to use his new supership to hold off the klingons while space-congress appropriated the money to build a new battle fleet. then he was going to bust the klingos wide open with that retractable space-penis that dropped down but failed to fire

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Robocop was building a secret army that he controlled. he wanted to push Starfleet (using the events of jj trek 1 and the Klingon threat) to rebuild more stuff using his tech thus giving himself more power. that's his primary motivation, altho he might think hes doing it for the good of the federation.

he didn't see either of khan's attacks coming and everything he does is an attempt to get him back under control. khan wanted him to start panicking and doing dumb stuff cause it would let khan get ahold of the big ship (which khan designed to be piloted by himself)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

how come benedict holmes didn't shoot a missile into the conference room and immediately blow up everyone in the briefing room

why didn't he teleport himself into the room and shoot everyone up with the chaingun-phaser

why didn't he teleport grenades into the room

why did they have to get khan's blood when they could have just grabbed blood from one of the other supermen that they had to thaw anyway to free up a freezer for kirk

if they don't have electronic stasis units like in TNG then why did they abandon the cryo-stasis unit technology

why did carol marcus have to be portrayed as weak and helpless in the face of male strength

why did uhura not actually get to defeat khan but merely enabled spock's triumph

why does every new movie hinge on getting spok mad

yeah theres a lot of stuff that trek just doesn't do even though it makes sense (beaming nukes, for example) cause its universe breaking other stuff is bad writing. the thing w/ the khan blood was that bones knew khan blood would work, he didn't know if anyone elses would.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Shaggar posted:

yeah theres a lot of stuff that trek just doesn't do even though it makes sense (beaming nukes, for example) cause its universe breaking other stuff is bad writing. the thing w/ the khan blood was that bones knew khan blood would work, he didn't know if anyone elses would.

plus he'd have to microwave-defrost one and they just never taste the same afterwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Shaggar posted:

transwarp beaming and khan blood are the two dumbest things in the movie cause they're universe breaking, but they're never talked about again

unlike the rest of star trek, where

• Locked thread