Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

datajosh posted:

Also worth noting in one of those screenshots: the old plans go away on 10/11, leaving only the Unlimited My Way and My All-in. Once I'm forced to go to that I guess I'll be on my way somewhere else since I can get Verizon and AT&T for the same price (factoring in employee discounts and usage between my wife and I) and get better service.

There's no reason to assume they'll kick people off their old plans. I mean, hello, SERO. They just won't be available anymore for new signups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

But there's nothing stopping them from doing what they originally did to SERO - stop activating new devices on it that people actually want. They got a lot of us to convert to EPRP that way.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

FlyingCheese posted:

What makes you think they won't grandfather in existing accounts? They can't simply boot you off of it, you signed a contract.

... I'm supposed to post chucks my phone?

Sorry. Power cycle. I didn't proofread and auto correct screwed me.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...
Oh hay, my bill this month is about $1.60 higher than it has been for 3 years. Thanks for increasing your fees!

December cannot come fast enough.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Tedronai66 posted:

Oh hay, my bill this month is about $1.60 higher than it has been for 3 years. Thanks for increasing your fees!

December cannot come fast enough.

Wait, a wireless company nickel and diming someone?! Well I never! You'll surely have better luck somewhere else.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Mahoning posted:

Wait, a wireless company nickel and diming someone?! Well I never! You'll surely have better luck somewhere else.

Seriously, this stuff happens all the time on every carrier. Sometimes they decide they can squeeze a little more out of their customers, sometimes the government decides to charge a little more and it gets passed along.

Once in a while it's considered a big enough change to let you out of your contract, but usually only when it's a brand new fee and not a change to an existing one.

Also, we just got an email at work saying not to talk about the new upgrade stuff until we get official word from Sprint, it may not be finalized yet. Or they just don't want to lose sales right now.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

datajosh posted:

Also worth noting in one of those screenshots: the old plans go away on 10/11, leaving only the Unlimited My Way and My All-in. Once I'm forced to go to that I guess I'll be on my way somewhere else since I can get Verizon and AT&T for the same price (factoring in employee discounts and usage between my wife and I) and get better service.

Right now I have a 5 line shared data plan. I haven't paid any attention at all to any of the new plan stuff from Sprint. I just looked at this ad:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...ning-july-12th/

So for 5 smart phones it would be $50+$40+$30+$20+20 ($160) for talk and text (5 lines). Add in another $30 per line for data ($150), I am already over $300 without taxes or fees. That is going to be a nice monthly increase. I am understanding this correctly?

Edit:

To check. If I upgrade Friday to a 5S I can keep the 1500 shared minutes & data plan, but next time I want to upgrade Sprint will either a) let me grandfather on the plan or b) force me to use one of these new All-In plans?

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 16, 2013

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Mahoning posted:

Service has gotten nothing but shittier since signing up. I'll gladly pay more for better service, but not for worse.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sprint's charging top-tier prices for MVNO-quality service. That's pretty much the crux of the problem everyone has with their prices going up. If they charged $55 monthly it wouldn't be a big deal if they shanked people for an extra couple bucks in fees, but they're getting close to that $100 mark that makes it stop being a bargain carrier and start being a comparison against the other carriers in service quality. Which it loses practically everywhere except a few large city markets and even then it's pretty close.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

nate fisher posted:

To check. If I upgrade Friday to a 5S I can keep the 1500 shared minutes & data plan, but next time I want to upgrade Sprint will either a) let me grandfather on the plan or b) force me to use one of these new All-In plans?
On Friday yes, you can keep it. If you're at a Sprint store, they may try to talk you into switching because they're apparently yelling at stores that don't switch enough people. Also you may get your data capped at some point in the future, though that would justify letting you out of your contract.

We honestly don't know for sure what'll happen with the next upgrade. Based on the current info, it looks like if you do the Up program you would have to switch. If that's the only option (like T-Mobile) you would have to switch the plan. If they keep a regular 2-year upgrade option like the other carriers, that one should let you keep your current plan.

Oh, keep in mind that if you've got 4+ smartphones and a corporate discount, the discount will be a bit higher since it comes off the data plan and not the base voice plan. You'd still be paying more, but it may not be quite as much of a jump if all 5 are smartphones.

Keep in mind the stores (at least the dealers) haven't been filled in on this stuff yet. Our corporate guys got told by the Sprint execs to staff up because Sprint was doing "something" to drive record 4th quarter traffic. It looks like this is the "something," but we just have the same leaks as you right now. Now that it's out there, an official press release will probably be coming fairly soon.

The Entire Universe posted:

Sprint's charging top-tier prices for MVNO-quality service. That's pretty much the crux of the problem everyone has with their prices going up. If they charged $55 monthly it wouldn't be a big deal if they shanked people for an extra couple bucks in fees, but they're getting close to that $100 mark that makes it stop being a bargain carrier and start being a comparison against the other carriers in service quality. Which it loses practically everywhere except a few large city markets and even then it's pretty close.

They're charging as if Network Vision was 100% complete, with CDMA 800 and LTE everywhere. Unfortunately, they're also in the worst part of the rollout in most places. I have no idea why they're doing the price changes now instead of later, unless unlimited data is going to be a bonus for early adopters and unavailable otherwise.

TVs Ian fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 16, 2013

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Thanks for the information. I am trying to decide if I want to start canceling one line at time (maybe every 6 months), and opening a new line on AT&T or Verizon each time until my whole family is moved, or staying with Sprint. I am really on the fence. Also I have no interest in 'Up' with so many lines. I get at least 2 upgrades every year if I want them. Like most I don't mind paying, as long as I feel I am getting my money's worth. While Sprint has been getting better here in Knoxville since LTE is showing up, they have a long way to go.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

nate fisher posted:

Yeah, B is what I'm worried about. I know they won't be kicking anyone off of the current plans for years to come but I was planning to upgrade in a couple of months and if I'm going to have to move to a new plan, I won't bother. I don't think we'll know the answer to that for a while yet though.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

datajosh posted:

I know they won't be kicking anyone off of the current plans for years to come

Sprint amended their terms and conditions in July to specifically say that they are allowed to discontinue plans and move you to a new one without grandfathering in anyone. Link here.

If Sprint would actually discontinue the current plans for current customers is anyone's guess, but they're allowed to do it and they changed their ToS to clarify their right to do it just before the new plans were announced.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

Sprint amended their terms and conditions in July to specifically say that they are allowed to discontinue plans and move you to a new one without grandfathering in anyone. Link here.

If Sprint would actually discontinue the current plans for current customers is anyone's guess, but they're allowed to do it and they changed their ToS to clarify their right to do it just before the new plans were announced.
I don't even remember that coming up when the talk about the new ToS was going on. I would hope that would count as a materially adverse change and you could leave at that point but I'm not completely sure if it would.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Contract changes like that are basically the Dave Matthews songs of mobile contracts. To some people it seems innocuous (Oh they just want to save you money automatically) but most of the time when it starts happening you know someone who went to business school is looking to gently caress someone.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

Does this mean we could cancel without paying a ETF if they pulled a plan switch?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Allaniis posted:

Does this mean we could cancel without paying a ETF if they pulled a plan switch?

Yes, and they explicitly state that in the agreement. You just have to call within 30 days and explain that it materially adversely affects you.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

TVs Ian posted:

They're charging as if Network Vision was 100% complete, with CDMA 800 and LTE everywhere. Unfortunately, they're also in the worst part of the rollout in most places. I have no idea why they're doing the price changes now instead of later, unless unlimited data is going to be a bonus for early adopters and unavailable otherwise.

This sounds exactly like what they did with Wimax and their drat 10 dollar fee.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I have literally -no- incentive at my store to upgrade someone to an all-in or my way plan over their current plan aside from some vague "you need to meet these numbers because" statements. New activations, yes. I get paid way more to put new phones on my way, but upgrades? Nope. I get paid exactly the same regardless of phone or rate plan, so I present the new plan and unless someone asks for it, I leave everything the same. That's just my two cents, YMMV.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

TLG James posted:

This sounds exactly like what they did with Wimax and their drat 10 dollar fee.

And then left that charge on for phones like the 4S with no WiMax, because the data an iPhone uses is ~premium~

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Allaniis posted:

There is literally no chance they will let you leave without an ETF over this. For months Sprint has been making material changes to their contracts, and every time they do and people get excited about canceling their contract, Sprint up and cockblocks everyone.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

This is one reason I haven't used my Phone Upgrade in over 4 years since I don't want to get tied down to a contract if for whatever reason, Sprint decides to kill SERO users off. I have been lucky since the last phone I got was the Arrive, and I got a EVO 4G LTE for free last year. So Unless I can get a HTC ONE for cheap from someone selling their upgrade, I will still be holding out. I do hate that Sprint hasn't gotten any killer exclusive phones for ages (Especially Nokia) and it is getting a bit old along with the lack of 4G in my area. (It is around me, and my coverage isn't bad, but common) :negative:

Outside of that. I cannot complain about their service outside of the usual Meh 3G speeds. I get a usual 30-50KB/s so its not unusable normally, and voice coverage is pretty much a non issue with Sprint+Verizon roaming.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
There is literally no reason to sit on your upgrade like that. If you just want to continue living a frugal lifestyle and save the environment by stretching the life of your phones as long as possible, then that's great. But it would still make some financial sense to flip iPhones every 2 years.

If they change one iota of the contract and it materially affects you, you can end your contract without ETF. I got off contract on two of my lines a few months back because Sprint changed the wording on their contract to say they could cancel Wimax at any time.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Yeah, they didn't change it to say "we can put on you whatever plan we want and you'll still be in contract", they said "we can change your plan and if we do you have the opportunity to cancel your contract."

I think I'm going for a GS4 Mini. 8) I've had an upgrade since July 2012 but nothing ever appealed to me enough to get. With the GS4 Mini I'll finally have the smaller screen I want.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I looked on the last 2 pages, but didnt see anything mentioned about a text that sprint sent me regarding the sprint navigation.

http://support.sprint.com/support/a...nity:navsupport

I see that it was posted last month but I only found out yesterday when I got a text from sprint. I only used Telenav sometimes, but Sprint Navigation wont affect me being able to use bing maps, will it?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Cage posted:

I looked on the last 2 pages, but didnt see anything mentioned about a text that sprint sent me regarding the sprint navigation.

http://support.sprint.com/support/a...nity:navsupport

I see that it was posted last month but I only found out yesterday when I got a text from sprint. I only used Telenav sometimes, but Sprint Navigation wont affect me being able to use bing maps, will it?
That's more for feature phones that only had Telenav as an option. Smartphones can use the built in navigation, Scout (the Telenav replacement for Sprint), or any 3rd party app.

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
All 3 lines on our account are eligible for an upgrade from Sprint. I'm not the primary account holder but am an authorized user and know the PIN, etc. Can I walk into an Apple Store to get a new iPhone 5S or will they give me a hard time? Thanks.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well the main reason I have stuck to my Arrive is because it works great still, I still don't have 4G where I live, and the newest WP8 devices they got are downright pitiful vs what every other carrier has gotten so waiting a bit longer isn't too bad. Though the HTC ONE calls to me so that may change, we will see.

Just picked up an Nvidia Shield instead. One fantastic piece of tech and pairs nicely to my GTX 780.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

aarstar posted:

All 3 lines on our account are eligible for an upgrade from Sprint. I'm not the primary account holder but am an authorized user and know the PIN, etc. Can I walk into an Apple Store to get a new iPhone 5S or will they give me a hard time? Thanks.
If you're listed as an authorized user and have your ID and know the PIN you should be fine.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
I have an S4, and I keep getting a notification that an update is ready to install (MF9 I believe).

When I click to install, it goes into recovery, then fails. I reboot the device, and the notification is gone, but it will come back in about a week.

Is there a way to manually install this update? I'm not running a custom rom, all I've done is rooted the device to remove some bloatware.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

iostream.h posted:

If you're listed as an authorized user and have your ID and know the PIN you should be fine.

I'm not sure if it changed but when I worked there Sprint didn't really have formal authorized users. We required that we could call the account holder either at the billing phone number or the primary line on the account.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Giblet posted:

I'm not sure if it changed but when I worked there Sprint didn't really have formal authorized users. We required that we could call the account holder either at the billing phone number or the primary line on the account.
I haven't had an issue with the other person on my account making changes for a couple of years now, dunno, but it hasn't been an issue at all.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

raej posted:

I have an S4, and I keep getting a notification that an update is ready to install (MF9 I believe).

When I click to install, it goes into recovery, then fails. I reboot the device, and the notification is gone, but it will come back in about a week.

Is there a way to manually install this update? I'm not running a custom rom, all I've done is rooted the device to remove some bloatware.

If it's rooted, it's probably not going to be able to install updates the normal way. Your best bet is to find a pre-rooted stock ROM and install that through recovery or Odin. More than likely you'll be able to keep your data and won't have to wipe it.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

iostream.h posted:

I haven't had an issue with the other person on my account making changes for a couple of years now, dunno, but it hasn't been an issue at all.

It depends on the store. Technically only the account holder can make changes and perform upgrades. We verified ID on all upgrades and then did the phone call thing if they weren't the account holder. Upgrading in store requires a signature from the account holder. Letting anyone else sign is fraud. So we at least got consent for them to sign.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Welp, just stopped by T-Mo and got set up with an account there. I'm borrowing a GSM Galaxy Nexus for a week or however long it takes to get a developer edition Moto X, so the only thing left to do is return my Sprint Moto X tomorrow and I'll be free.

Even with a SERO plan, this isn't worth it any more.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So it sounds like I got on Sprint at a good time? Or no? I just signed up yesterday but I haven't gotten my phone yet so I technically haven't signed their contract. Sadly though my options for where I live are either Sprint or Verizon. AT&T and T-Mobile work here too but their service is poo poo in my town.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Save yourself the heartache and just pony up for Verizon. Unless you either live in or by a metropolitan area or want to wait at least another year-ish for Network Vision to be done.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

If you really, really want to be on Sprint's network for some reason, maybe check out Ting. I agree with averox, though. There's no reason to become a new Sprint customer at least until Network Vision is done.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If you really, really want to be on Sprint's network for some reason, maybe check out Ting. I agree with averox, though. There's no reason to become a new Sprint customer at least until Network Vision is done.

I really want to keep my Moto X; can I just pay the cancelation fee and go over to Ting? Because that ends up being cheaper then just buying the phone unlocked.

[edit]
Eh, I just looked it up, and Ting can't get me anything but 3G where I live. I've had it confirmed that 4G LTE (friends who use Sprint) is available in this town with Sprint.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I don't know when this thread transitioned to only people coming in and bashing Sprint or announcing that they've left Sprint (like anyone cares), but my Sprint service is perfectly fine. Yes, the service could probably be better, but I hear people with Verizon and AT&T phones at the office bitching about service a hell of a lot more than I ever do. And I'm in a city with no Sprint LTE and plenty of AT&T and Verizon LTE.