Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
If Octane is working fine the fault is not with the GFX card.

Iray uses Cuda as well right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
yes iray is cuda. Another weird thing: while iray crashes pretty much immediately on a production render, it does not crash in active shade for about 2 minutes each time, although it is extremely slow to update any changes.

I'm probably gonna do a clean install of all related software. something is probably corrupted.

edit: I uninstalled everything I had by autodesk and even my display drivers. I reinstalled the newest driver that worked well for me and only 3ds max 2014. I still have the same issue so if you ever have this issue know that a clean slate apparently doesn't work. Time for more searching.

Nondescript Van fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 31, 2013

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Is your card too new? I've been trying Iray for a couple of days now and read some stuff about kepler ( or whatever the new nvidia stuff is ) support being added pretty late.

You might want to try updating max with a service pack.

Fyi i am running it on 660GTX and have no problems. It sucks if you only have one card that also accelerates Windows. Everything gets choppy while it renders.

The results from Iray are pretty amazing after futzing around with Mental Ray and its GI and Caustics stuff though.

You might try to render on the CPUs first instead of the videocard. In the Render rollout you can specify hardware resources and deselect the videocard.

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 2, 2013

earl of sandwich
May 7, 2013
Working on a small browser game using webgl and need some custom head models. I use three.js which has a OBJ and MTL import

Tried doing it in 3ds max, but it's doing my loving head in

Does anybody know where I can hire someone to do some rough human head modelling (with skin) from a front 2d reference? Doesn't need to be exact, In fact I don't even need the back of the head.

earl of sandwich fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Sep 2, 2013

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

earl of sandwich posted:

Working on a small browser game using webgl and need some custom head models. I use three.js which has a OBJ and MTL import

Tried doing it in 3ds max, but it's doing my loving head in

Does anybody know where I can hire someone to do some rough human head modelling (with skin) from a front 2d reference? Doesn't need to be exact, In fact I don't even need the back of the head.

Polycount has a fairly busy work-for-hire subforum, you could take a look in there for people who are looking for work or post an ad yourself: http://www.polycount.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Vray 3.0 beta has started!
I'll be installing it later today :)

Help files up and available here for browsing - http://help.chaosgroup.com/vray/help/300R1/
An incomplete/old feature list - http://vray.info/news/article.asp?ID=553

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Is the beta for vray max only or maya as well?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Max only for now, maya build is officially coming in vlado's words 'when this storm has passed'.

Makes me think pretty soon and they just don't want to deal with support for both sides jumping in.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Awesome can't wait to try it. That progressive rendering mode looks really sexy.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I have a question for people in the industry. The school I go to, which is well regarded for animation, is changing their character animation program around next year to focus on training TDs. They say it's because that's the way the industry is going, and TDs are more in demand than animators. I'm wondering if this is true or if they're just facing too much competition from places like Animation Mentor and don't want to admit it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Good TDs will always be in demand, and there's a glut of animators.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I have a BFA in Animation from a program that Ed Catmull called "one of the best in the nation" and I don't think we've ever placed an animator, so I'd say they're looking out for their students' best interests by focusing in on TDs.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Good TDs will always be in demand, and there's a glut of animators.

The last couple of films I worked on required a lot more animators than TDs.
That said they always seemed to have problems finding character TD,rigger types with an artistic eye, so maybe the industry needs more of those types.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

EoinCannon posted:

The last couple of films I worked on required a lot more animators than TDs.
That said they always seemed to have problems finding character TD,rigger types with an artistic eye, so maybe the industry needs more of those types.

The artistic technical director or the technically-minded artist will always be the magic unicorns of the industry.

The problem with animators is that there are six million of them but only about 20 good ones. If you're willing to take the decade of ramen and tears that it would take you to become a competitive animator, then you'll probably get some amount of job security, but if you're looking to find an in as soon as you can, shading or some kind of technical artist role is a good bet.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

It's easy to find animators. Maybe not good ones, but you can always find decent animators
It's very hard to find FX TDs....even decent ones.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hmm okay. What kind of things do you need to know to be a TD? I'm guessing python is a must, and rigging knowledge. Is Houdini also needed?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ccs posted:

Hmm okay. What kind of things do you need to know to be a TD? I'm guessing python is a must, and rigging knowledge. Is Houdini also needed?

I think Houdini would depend on where you go. I guess pytyhon, Mel and character rigging, weighting, joint placement stuff (for character TDs) would be the stuff to know

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Ccs posted:

Definitely depends on where you go. I've only ever worked in the video game industry, but the definition of what exactly a TA/TD is and does is still pretty fuzzy at lots of big and small studios alike. At the GDC roundtable discussions for tech artists there were riggers and general pipeline fire-put-er-outers, all the way to people who only did tools programming all day. I fall somewhere near the former working at a smaller studio - scripting in Max/Maya/Adobe/windows batch files when I'm not animating.

What's really important and will separate you from half-hearted TAs is being a good problem solver - If a new pipeline requires lots of files and/or repetitive actions do you try to find ways to automate that process? Do you like to continue refining that process to make it easier for less tech-savvy artists and to help reduce human error? Are you willing to dig around in scripts in languages you might not have used before and figure out how to modify them to accommodate new needs? Just some stuff to think about.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've been playing with Zbrush again, this guy started out as a napkin sketch, I got the head and neck muscle strands in, then remembered ZSpheres and used that to block out the res of the torso.

Johnny 6, or Kinect 3.0 (still deciding on the name):

ZSpheres are awesome.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 9, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oie1ZXWceqM
:stare:

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

I'm pretty sure that's witchcraft.

Lowe9
Jul 31, 2005

Not really 3DCG, but we don't have a CAD thread (unless there is one I don't know about) and this is the other side of the 3D/CAD industry.

Production level SolidWorks modeling (Production level refers to a CAD model is manufacturing ready).

The bottle will be made with blow molding. The threaded neck area is first injection molded into a preform, then the shape is fixtured in another heated mold. Compressed air is forced through the preform causing the plastic to expand and fill the mold.

The challenge with modeling any plastic component is respecting the correct draft at the parting line. When the two halves of the mold close, the interface between the two pieces of steel is the parting line. Draft refers to the surfaces of the part approaching the parting line at an angle. This angle prevents the steel from dragging on the plastic part marring its finish. An easy to visualize example of draft is a muffin tray. If the walls of the muffin tray weren't angle, it would be a bitch to get the muffins out.

Green and red faces indicate the part has adequate draft as it approaches the parting line (the hard split between green and red faces).

And a GIF showing the different steps that go into modeling something like this in a parametric CAD package.

While this is just a commodity item, anything plastic you see around you started out somewhere in CAD and someone had to do this kind of modeling/ design work. I find that rather fascinating.

Unreleated, but does someone have any suggestions for a NURBS-know-it-all to get into freeform modeling with something like Modo? I'm used to explicitly modeling sketches and curves that get used to form 4 sided surfaces that make up a part. Starting with a blob and dragging it into something seems 100% backwards to me.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
If you like traveling there's a ton of work out there for experienced FX TDs. Used to be a lot of work in Los Angeles but that city is a dead zone for work for a while.

There's not a lot of riggers out there , keep in mind most folks don't really get hired to rig off the bat, they get picked up for creature TD work which is shot by shot deformation cleanup, secondary motion, fur, cloth and hair. Those departments are much bigger than the rigging depts themselves.

A show may have 2 riggers but 30 character TDs.

Modeling and animation will be the hardest spots to break into, way more people looking for work in those fields. End of pipeline, departments like lighting, fx will generally be easier to pick up work in my experience.

What a TD is will vary wildly. When I was at Dreamworks TD meant you strictly did tools and pipeline support for an entire show department, no shot or asset development.

Other studios the term was used all over the place... Animation TD fx TD , etc

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 11, 2013

Skilbs
Jul 20, 2006

Is anyone here going to the Softimage Creatives meeting in London on the 25th?

I will be there showing some stuff from Stina and the Wolf, a film made almost entirely by students at the University of Portsmouth. We are looking to improve our connections with the Vfx industry and help improve our work.

Edit: Go to http://www.softimagecreatives.com/siclondon/?page_id=1288 for more info about the meeting.

Skilbs fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 11, 2013

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011
Super noob zbrush question: what is the point of the 2.5d brushes?

It seems like using them on anything renders the canvas uneditable in 3d. The best explanations I can find on google are along the lines of 'zbrush is a funny program in that it is both a 3d and 2.5d paint program'. What? Are some people just painting pictures directly onto the 2.5d canvas and ignoring the edit mode completely? I don't understand at all :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The 2.5D brushes are only for use inside the canvas. You can make objects and edit them then drop them in a scene which makes them 2.5d. So you can quickly build up a scene in 2.5d of brush objects, brushes and dropped full 3d objects. That limits their editability, but you can still do things like use it to make an image, or a height/alpha map with the grabdocs, etc.

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011
Thanks dude! I thought maybe something was just going over my head.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Geared Hub posted:

If you like traveling there's a ton of work out there for experienced FX TDs. Used to be a lot of work in Los Angeles but that city is a dead zone for work for a while.

Other studios the term was used all over the place... Animation TD fx TD , etc

-- but where do the After Effects TDs go?! If only there was such a traveling demand. *sigh*

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lowe9 posted:

Not really 3DCG, but we don't have a CAD thread (unless there is one I don't know about) and this is the other side of the 3D/CAD industry.

Production level SolidWorks modeling (Production level refers to a CAD model is manufacturing ready).

The bottle will be made with blow molding. The threaded neck area is first injection molded into a preform, then the shape is fixtured in another heated mold. Compressed air is forced through the preform causing the plastic to expand and fill the mold.

I love this poo poo. I'm utterly fascinated with just "how things are made" in general. It's my dream one day to do a documentary on the creation of assembly line machines. Like..when you have a product and you decide to create an assembly line full of machines dedicated to tiny specific tasks... where does that process even begin!? Anyway, daydreams aside I'm always down for hearing more about this stuff, so post away.

One of our biggest clients is a hunting call maker (not that Duck Dynasty bullshit) and they have a big facility tucked away in Mississippi where they do a lot of hunting calls. Apparently it's a mix of hi tech molding/machine processes and literally a room full of old guys whittling wood. We finally convinced them to do a 30 minute making of for it. Very excited.

And, on that same client, they use SolidWorks and lately we've been trying to figure out the best way to get an OBJ or equivalent out of SolidWorks into Maya/After Effects for me since I do the animation for their ads. Do you have any input on that? It's hard to get a workable model for "entertainment" purposes.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
When I open a 2nd 3ds Max and drag it left to my 2nd monitor it loads up fine, but if I try to rotate the camera with middle mouse button and alt, the whole model flies off right and the mouse pointer goes to as if it is pivotting around an origin in the middle of my primary monitor. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Edit: ah fixed it by loading the "secondary" max first.

concerned mom fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 11, 2013

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

BonoMan posted:

I love this poo poo. I'm utterly fascinated with just "how things are made" in general. It's my dream one day to do a documentary on the creation of assembly line machines. Like..when you have a product and you decide to create an assembly line full of machines dedicated to tiny specific tasks... where does that process even begin!? Anyway, daydreams aside I'm always down for hearing more about this stuff, so post away.

Yeah I really find this stuff fascinating as well. I've lost entire afternoons marathoning episodes of How it's Made on the Science Channel. :v:

I also think NURBS modeling is a ton of fun. Seeing this reminded me to sign up for the Mac beta of Rhino so I'm excited to see how that goes.

Edit: There's occasionally some discussion of 3D printing and the related CAD work in the DIY & Hobbies subforum of CC so you might want to check that out as well.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Lowe9 posted:

This is super super neat and I'd love it if you could talk about more stuff like that some day! I'm really interested in how stuff gets made in general.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
More progress on my robot, I roughed in the arms and made leg armatures with more zpsheres.:

Paintover:

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 13, 2013

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Part of my home interior. Well, some of it. I was spacing out one night examining the pleating on the front of the arms, and figured it would be a good learning experience. A few bend mods, some ffd, and shitload of trial and error just pushing verts. No displacement, or paint deformation.

Pleat mesh with one of those fancy 3-sided polys the kids are using these days. Also, poor welding threshold.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 18, 2013

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

PQjENZGuRCeyLJNYOID9
WnEkTPwAfa8sb9vn3VEd
Sfow078lb4Hui16NJORx
YJjv795jyHqDfMsbhTK3
VVu7BOIH5R7HBFQGqTPY
h7K2dDG3ProzZn8SG7zf
Jz9hKHD6nw4yg22fi4iG
ZUeAKTvvh9TsjC00jsew
iFULtL3kItkeZTmz6rfD
YuYLsheJYXo749s60uH9

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 28, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't know if this is the right thread, but I'm not sure if there's a more appropriate one around.

I'm looking to learn Google Sketchup as an alternative to banging out quick engineering prototype and I'm coming from an AutoCAD-ish background. Is there any book or video resource you guys can recommend that will be kind of a "google sketchup for dummies" but with a focus on mechanical engineering?

I want to use it to design quick models for boxes or panels where I can throw small aluminum plates into my CNC and have sketchup export G-Code at some point, but that's not really what I want to learn, that's just the intended usage so you can see what I'm coming from.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been looking for text tutorials for ZBrush. I want to take a class, but there are none in my area. I couldn't use solidworks, took a one week 30 hour class, and am now, after using for a couple of weeks, really proficient. Was hoping to do the same with ZBrush. I just need to get the basics down. The UI, the best brushes, shortcuts, and the like. I hate video tutorials. I need the basic stuff, I have the artistic know-how to do stuff especially painting, but no idea how to make it happen on this goddamn program. I don't even know how to get to the paint mode.

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 19, 2013

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
A text tutorial for zbrush is not going to be better than a video tutorial (and it's called the 'getting started' section in the manual)
Are you sure you've not just only seen bad ones?

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They are never tutorials for what I need. If I want a tutorial on how to paint in Zbrush, I need to know where in the UI stuff is located, not how to use some stipling techniques. That's my problem, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials_3/zbrush_training/lesson_01/zbrush_lesson_01.asp

http://www.digitaltutors.com/software/ZBrush-Getting-Started-tutorials

http://pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/lesson/zbrush-introduction/

http://pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/lesson/zbrush-ui/

http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/pixologic-zbrush/a-basic-introduction-to-working-with-customizing-zbrush/

None of these cover what you need?