Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Amused to Death posted:

-CEO of Goldman Sachs should be held in the same moral regard as Mother Theresa

As much as I dislike Mother Theresa there's always someone worse, and Blankfein is that person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.

Amused to Death posted:

I think the best parts need to be actually stated:
-People making over a million a year should be exempt from income taxes because they're just awesome at creating wealth for everyone
-CEO of Goldman Sachs should be held in the same moral regard as Mother Theresa

Don't forget this one: we should award the year's top earner the Medal of Honor.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Guilty Spork posted:

Here's a tip for anyone out there who is interested in getting into the exciting field of satire:

Try to not have your satire look exactly like what a large group of people routinely say in utter seriousness.
I realize there are crazy people out there who make this a difficult task, but it's well worth the effort! :thumbsup:

As Hamlet defied augury, the modern Republican defies parody.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Radish posted:

At least all but one of the comments are pointing out how absurd that article is.

Thankfully, the author is fighting back in the comments.

quote:

>>As for “giving back to the community”… A person with more wealth than they could ever hope to spend in their lifetime (or, really any person for that matter) shouldn’t need a reason to help people in need.<<

1. The great wealth, like that of Steve Jobs or Warren Buffett, is never enough to fund all the great ideas they have and all the productive ventures they want to fund. Think of what Steve Jobs could have done if his Apple stock had been worth 10 times what it was when he was alive. iCars? iSpaceStations?

2. You definitely need a reason to "help people in need." And the mere fact that they are in need is not a reason. The need of others is not a claim on your life. Why would it be? Your life is your own, free and clear.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Call Me Charlie posted:

Thankfully, the author is fighting back in the comments.

So in other words, the 1% are all just overflowing fonts of purestrain genius and we all need to do is step back and let them personally bootstrap humanity to the stars through sheer wealth and gumption? I mean, I suppose this is the logical conclusion of the "more money=better than" mindset, but still.

The second point just makes no sense, unless empathy is just a meaningless buzzword invented by the takers to sucker you out of your wealth.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

ProperGanderPusher posted:

empathy is just a meaningless buzzword invented by the takers to sucker you out of your wealth.

Welcome to Objectivism!

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Orange Devil posted:

As much as I dislike Mother Theresa there's always someone worse, and Blankfein is that person.

What made Mother Theresa such a bad person? I was just a kid when she died, so all I heard were good things about her.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Business Gorillas posted:

What made Mother Theresa such a bad person? I was just a kid when she died, so all I heard were good things about her.

She was a loving weirdo. Someone please post a hilarious article.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

ProperGanderPusher posted:

So in other words, the 1% are all just overflowing fonts of purestrain genius and we all need to do is step back and let them personally bootstrap humanity to the stars through sheer wealth and gumption? I mean, I suppose this is the logical conclusion of the "more money=better than" mindset, but still.

Harry Binswanger was one of Rand's inner circle and is a true believer who remains very active in pushing the whole Objectivist schtick. As such, he is well beyond parody.

quote:

The Apprentice Concretizes the American Dream
By Harry Binswanger (The Australian, April 29, 2004; Calgary Sun, May 2, 2004)

The Apprentice was the first "reality" show deal with reality. Its contestants did not compete in worm-eating or political conniving but in solving real-world business problems. It was a weekly demonstration that success is not a matter of "the old-boy network" or "exploitation" or any of the threadbare leftist caricatures, but of effort, planning, honesty, and practical wisdom.

Wordlessly, the show conveyed the message that productive achievement is good, that material success is good--that life on this earth is good. The show concretized The American Dream.

The Apprentice should be beamed to the Middle East.

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

Republicans are often accused of wanting the poor to suffer but Mother Teresa was the real deal:

quote:

She has also been criticised for her view on suffering. She felt that suffering would bring people closer to Jesus.[2][3] Sanal Edamaruku, President of Rationalist International, criticised the failure to give painkillers, writing that in her Homes for the Dying, one could "hear the screams of people having maggots tweezered from their open wounds without pain relief. On principle, strong painkillers were not administered even in severe cases. According to Mother Teresa's philosophy, it is 'the most beautiful gift for a person that he can participate in the sufferings of Christ'."

I don't find them very hilarious but you can read the sources from the criticism section of her wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_Teresa#Criticism

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Her facilities conditions were extremely poor and run down; she herself preferred to be treated in California. She also refused to submit to any kind of audit, and most of the money appears to have been funneled elsewhere (much of it to the Vatican bank).

quote:

“I was shocked to see the negligence. Needles were washed in cold water and reused and expired medicines were given to the inmates. There were people who had chance to live if given proper care,” says Hemley. He narrates incidents of an untrained volunteer wrongly feeding a paralyzed inmate, who choked to his death; and another where an infected toe of an inmate was cut without anesthesia. “I have decided to go back to Kolkata to start a charity that will be called ‘Responsible Charity.’ Each donation will be made public and professional medical help will be given,” says Hemley, who now runs a campaign on Facebook called ‘Stop Missionaries of Charity,’ and has over 2,000 members.

“We should remember that Mother Teresa was clear that Missionaries of Charity was not operating a hospital. The homes are to serve the poor and give them the basic needs,” says Sunita Kumar, wife of former India Davis Cup coach Naresh Kumar and one who has been working with Missionaries’ sisters for over four decades.

quote:

In early 2000, Susan Shields, a former Missionaries sister who left the organization “unhappy”, created a furor by saying she herself had “written receipts of $50,000″ in donation but there was no sign of the “flood of money.” Forbes India talked to a volunteer in the Los Angeles office of Missionaries of Charity who admitted that “even when bread was over at the soup kitchens, none was bought unless donated.” A report in German magazine Stern, revealed that in 1991 only seven percent of the donation received at Missionaries of Charity was used for charity. Former volunteers and people close to the Mother House revealed that the Vatican, home to the Pope, has control over the “monetary matters” ever since Missionaries of Charity came under its fold in 1965. The control got stronger after Mother Teresa died in 1997.

When asked about how much money the Charity gets annually, the then superior general Sister Nirmala in a rare media interview a few years ago remarked “Countless.” When asked how much it was, she answered, “God knows. He is our banker.” Forbes India’s request for details was turned down at the Mother House. Sister Mary Prema, the present superior general, did not agree to a meeting.
http://www.forbes.com/2010/08/10/forbes-india-mother-teresa-charity-critical-public-review.html

That whole article is worth a read to dispel of of the hagiography. That's even leaving apart her activism on many really regressive issues, which I'd hazard a guess were also funded by some of the 93% of money spent in non-charitable activity.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 18, 2013

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Business Gorillas posted:

Here's the wiki article : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Mother_Teresa

Short points:
* Took money from well known shithead Charles Keating, then refused to return it after people realized it was stolen.
* Was cool with Baby Doc, versus being a human being and calling for his head on a pike.
* Supported martial law set up by Indira Ghandi with a "keeps the trains on time" style dismissal.
* Pissed away 93% of donations to her organization while the people she was there to serve existed in squalor.
* In related points, had some hosed up religious cover for sadism directed at the people under her care.
* Administered forced baptisms of dying people under her care

In short, the kind of shithead that doesn't deserve a footnote in a history book, but we'll have to hear about her forever because she has some decent people spinning her life story.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Hitchens was poo poo, but The Missionary Position is a good read.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Wow that is horrifying, as someone who grew up in a Catholic family I heard a lot about her and just assumed she was an ok person who got a lot of charity money. That is some reprehensible poo poo.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

Her facilities conditions were extremely poor and run down; she herself preferred to be treated in California. She also refused to submit to any kind of audit, and most of the money appears to have been funneled elsewhere (much of it to the Vatican bank).

http://www.forbes.com/2010/08/10/forbes-india-mother-teresa-charity-critical-public-review.html

That whole article is worth a read to dispel of of the hagiography. That's even leaving apart her activism on many really regressive issues, which I'd hazard a guess were also funded by some of the 93% of money spent in non-charitable activity.

It's somewhat bizarre because there is absolutely nothing in canon law prohibiting painkillers, and the quotes from her in which she praises the act of participating in the sufferings of Christ really sound more like your run-of-the-mill exhortations to make an active effort in one's spiritual life.

The single best argument I've heard in defense of her is the lack of painkillers wasn't her decision, and that the places she worked at weren't directly under her control, but rather merely assisted by her order (no idea if that's true or not). Also, she had no authority to change these conditions even with the amount of money her order was making, which she apparently had little control over as she was a remarkably simple person and therefore easy to take advantage of. She was often treated elsewhere due to the insistence of her supporters, who personally forwarded the money for treatment themselves.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Mark Levin is in rare form today. He has spent the first hour of his show screaming at his audience, unleashing every buzzword and dog whistle about the black man that exists: "how is it that the laziest, most ignorant people in America have come to dominate the federal government" (not exact quote but pretty close). He has gone all in on defending a government shutdown and he, along with the rest of the media talking heads, have set this up as their Gettysburg.

God, how I hope they get morally crushed on this deal.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Today Rush was a champion of the poor

quote:

RUSH: The other day also we had economic news not good about the widening gap between the rich and the poor. We had the news that the smarter are getting wealthier and the stupider are getting poorer -- I mean, it wasn't good -- and that the wealth gap was wider, much wider today between the top 1% and everybody else than five years ago when Obama took office.
Do you know the difference in a mean and an average? "Mean" is that points where there are just as many above the number as are below it. An "average" is not that. This is the mean, and the mean income in this country is $51,000. That's why I've always said, "If you earn $50,000 or more, you're in the upper 10%," but that's getting worse. It ought to be trending in the opposite direction.

Of course, it can't with economic policies like these. Another way of looking at this is, median incomes in the United States are $644 less than they were in 1989, and the New York Times has a story: "Household Income Remains Flat Despite Improving Economy," and they're puzzled, and they're wringing their hands, and this has some fascinating data in it that I'm gonna get into in some detail.
In fact, the median income is lower than it was in 1989 by about $644. We're losing ground. Everybody is losing ground -- and note the year, '89, when Ronaldus Magnus left office, and there began immediately an effort by everybody to tear down the economic policies that he had put into place, on the basis they didn't work. But since 1989, since Reagan left office, the median income is down. It's astounding.

"The government's authoritative annual report on incomes, poverty and health insurance, released Tuesday, underscores that the economic recovery has largely failed to reach the poor and the middle class, even as the unemployment rate continues to sink..." The unemployment rate sinking is a mirage. This is journalistic malpractice. The unemployment rate is what, 7.3, 7.4%? If it were based on the same number of jobs that were available to be held, to be filled, in 2009 -- if those jobs existed -- the unemployment rate today would be 10.8%, almost 11%.
There's a little story that's out today about how black leaders, after a few short months of Obama being in office, had to complain to Obama that he had no black officials high up in his campaign. Everywhere you looked at his campaign, it was white people. And aside from Susan Rice and Valerie Jarrett, everywhere you looked in the regime was white people. So black leaders had to come along and put pressure on Obama to hire black people. Now, this guy was Mr. Civil Rights, we were told.

He was Mr. End of Slavery, Mr. End of Racism, Mr. All of This. All this wonderful, magical stuff was gonna happen, but he had to be pressured to hire African-Americans. The first black president had to be pressured by civil rights activists. So not only did he not follow through on what they thought would be automatic, that every position of power and wealth in the regime would go to somebody African-American, in fact none did. Well, so, too, everybody thought that Obama and his magical policies were gonna bring prosperity to everybody, but that hasn't happened, either.
Look at it the same way you look at Obama closing federal lands, closing down parks.

People can't go visit it because it's people that destroy these things. People destroy the parks. People create global warming. So we close 'em off; you can't go in there. Federal land, National Parks areas are closed down. You can't go. Well, the same is happening with the private sector of the economy. Obama's taking it. Inch by inch, mile by mile, dollar by dollar, he's taking it, and he's co-opting it for the federal government, and they take it and they use it and they redistribute it on the basis they call fair. But there is less money.

The pie is shrinking, let's put it that way.

The pie that everybody wants a piece of is shrinking, precisely because of Obama economic policies.
Now, just one more bit of information on this median income business. Next we want to look at this by race. This is from the Business Insider. The Census Bureau has released its annual report on poverty, income, and health insurance. Now, this stuff may run together, all these numbers, and it may even bore you. But I hope it doesn't.

Because the point is that the left and the media want you to believe that life in this country for minorities is just unfair and mean and all that because of racism and because of discrimination, and because this country's unjust. This country was founded in an immoral, unfair way. This country was founded so that white people would forever hold all the cards, all the power, all the money, and white people would subjugate everybody else. This is taught more often than ever before in this country today.

We've had the Democrat Party, which is responsible for making this charge, largely in power since 2007. Democrats took over the House of Representatives starting in 2007, and they held it until just last year, a couple years ago. They've got the White House. They basically were able to shut Bush down in his last two years. They had Clinton for eight years. They ran the House of Representatives for 40 years prior to 1994.
These are the people who are gonna get even with these white Europeans who came here and founded this absolute disaster of a country with racism and sexism and bigotry and homophobia. This crap is taught to young kids today. So with these people being in power for so long and supposedly being the remedy for all of this injustice, how can this be?
And for the vast majority of the last five decades, this country's been run by the Democrat Party and/or a bunch of moderate Republicans. So where's all the relief? Where is all of this success that's been in waiting? Where is all this prosperity for all it is downtrodden? And, by the way, the Asians don't have anybody looking out for them. And they're at the top of the list. Nobody. They have $68,000 median income. Hispanic households are higher than black at 39 grand. African-Americans, arguably the beneficiaries of the most federal largesse and attention for 50 years, are at the bottom in median household income.
The number of people losing their jobs is up. The number of jobs lost, all of this, is up. The one thing that none of these stories cover is another thing that's going on, and that is the price of gasoline has been over $3 a gallon for 20 months now. Now, Obamacare is gonna raise everybody's health care costs. Premiums are gonna skyrocket. The cost of food is way up. Gasoline is over $3.

So with all of these basic needs -- health insurance, food, gasoline -- seeing big increases, the fact that salaries are stagnant is even more devastating. Because everything's getting more expensive. Yet the New York Times wants to persist in this farce that there's some sort of economic recovery going on because, of course, it's all about Obama and Obama must be made to look good. It's an absolute disaster.
Well, I'll just to go through this again. You look at median income by race, and it gets even worse. Asian households had the highest median income in 2012, $68,000. Median income, non-Hispanic white households, $57,000. Hispanic households, median income, $39,000. At the bottom are black households, $33,000. Now, the Asians -- let me repeat again -- don't have anybody looking out for them. The Asians are entirely on their own. White people don't have anybody looking out for them, and they're number two.

The groups that have the Democrat Party as their stewards, as their guarantors, as their whatever you want to call them, sugar daddies, whatever it is -- the groups depending on the Democrat Party -- are at the bottom of every list.
Hispanics, African-Americans, black unemployment, teenage black unemployment. It's near criminal levels, and they gotta be asking themselves, "Where is the social justice?

"Where in the world is there social justice -- and what is this with the Asians? How in the hell can they be at the top of the list when nobody's doing anything to help 'em?" Asians are a minority, by the way, and I thought, by the way, Asians have been discriminated against. A, they were made to build a railroad. B, they were put in interment camps by another great Democrat, FDR. They've been discriminated left and right.
There's a lesson here. They depend on themselves. Their culture is traditionally American, even though they're Asian. They come here and they run rings around others. I remember back, as far back as the 1980s when I lived in Sacramento, the University of California was already having "problems" because the Asians were acing everybody on admittance scores, and they were gonna have to start discriminating.

They were gonna limit Asian admissions 'cause they were outdoing everybody, simply 'cause they were studying harder. They were just working at it harder, and getting better grades 'cause they're working harder. The University of California system said, "We got a problem." So here came affirmative action for admissions and all this stuff to take care of the unfairness. The "unfairness" was that some people were working harder than others. Oh, we can't have that!

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2013/09/18/the_obama_magic_failed_to_produce_social_justice_income_is_down_and_poverty_is_up
It was pretty ridiculous all day. The Asian Model Minority poo poo was absolutely astounding considering this is the same turd that made fun of Chinese President Hu Jintao on his radio program not too long ago

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

kik2dagroin posted:

Rush posted:

Do you know the difference in a mean and an average?

THESE ARE THE SAME THING YOU loving IDIOT! :argh:

I can't even read the rest of it, that single sentence makes me boil with rage.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

WampaLord posted:

The next sentence is even dumber. :suicide:

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

WampaLord posted:

Rush is too stupid to look up "median," which is what he was referring to when he mentioned "mean," I assume.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Walter posted:

Rush is too stupid to look up "median," which is what he was referring to when he mentioned "mean," I assume.

He figures it out half way through.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Walter posted:

I actually did end up reading more, and yea, he gets there eventually, but uttering that sentence should get you barred from acting like you have informed opinions.

Basically I really wish we could probate/ban people in real life for being an idiot like we do here.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

Basically I really wish we could probate/ban people in real life for being an idiot like we do here.

LF was years ahead of you on this :commissar:

Rush talking about income inequality - I never thought I'd see it (of course it's all the fault of post-Reagan presidents). Of course if he were in a visual format he could show a normal distribution and explain why average/mean not being close to the median is bad for the 'middle class'.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

Pope Guilty posted:

Hitchens was poo poo, but The Missionary Position is a good read.
Hitchens was the only one of these so called "New Athiests" that I actually enjoyed listening to. The rest of them just come off as hacks.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

rkajdi posted:

Here's the wiki article : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Mother_Teresa

Short points:
* Took money from well known shithead Charles Keating, then refused to return it after people realized it was stolen.
* Was cool with Baby Doc, versus being a human being and calling for his head on a pike.
* Supported martial law set up by Indira Ghandi with a "keeps the trains on time" style dismissal.
* Pissed away 93% of donations to her organization while the people she was there to serve existed in squalor.
* In related points, had some hosed up religious cover for sadism directed at the people under her care.
* Administered forced baptisms of dying people under her care

In short, the kind of shithead that doesn't deserve a footnote in a history book, but we'll have to hear about her forever because she has some decent people spinning her life story.

Would Albert Schweitzer be a better choice?

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

kik2dagroin posted:

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2013/09/18/the_obama_magic_failed_to_produce_social_justice_income_is_down_and_poverty_is_up
It was pretty ridiculous all day. The Asian Model Minority poo poo was absolutely astounding considering this is the same turd that made fun of Chinese President Hu Jintao on his radio program not too long ago

He makes a lot of good points. I don't want to live in a world where yelling ching chong wing wong at apparatchik Hu Jintao is wrong. Nobody should want to, unless their name is Hu Jintao. Really makes you think.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
You know, he used the word gyp twice in the lead up to his ... I don't even know what to call it. It's a racist two-in-one.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe like most people he doesn't know or understand the etymology of the phrase "gyp". That really draws my ire.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Nice Davis posted:

The next sentence is even dumber. :suicide:
I believe that is the title of his autobiography.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

greatn posted:

Maybe like most people he doesn't know or understand the etymology of the phrase "gyp". That really draws my ire.
Actually, I imagine El Rushbo is on the cutting edge of racial slurs.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

greatn posted:

Worst part is that people don't give a poo poo on this once they correct you, or they go from gyp to jew, as if that's an improvement.

I actually think Rush has no idea about the racial implications on the word. I come from the nearby area (Western MD vs Central PA) and it's common slang in the region that I only learned the real meaning of when someone called me on it during college.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I only learned when Dr. House used it to upset a romani guy on purpose in an episode of House MD. Turns out he had swallowed a toothpick.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

greatn posted:

In his defense, the etymology is only probably racist.

quote:

"to cheat, swindle," 1889, American English, probably derived from the colloquial shortening of Gypsy (cf. gip). Related: Gypped. As a noun, "fraudulent action, a cheat," by 1914.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Babylon Astronaut posted:

You know, he used the word gyp twice in the lead up to his ... I don't even know what to call it. It's a racist two-in-one.

Almost no one in the US understands that that's a racial slur. Obama could use "gyp" during a prime time national address and 98% of the country wouldn't bat an eye.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ReindeerF posted:

I believe that is the title of his autobiography.

:golfclap:

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

Almost no one in the US understands that that's a racial slur. Obama could use "gyp" during a prime time national address and 98% of the country wouldn't bat an eye.

I know the numbers are shrinking but there are certainly more Republicans than that around. And these are people who got pissed about his choice in mustard.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That's not being offended by him saying "gyp", that's them being offended by him being President.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Taerkar posted:

That's not being offended by him saying "gyp", that's them being offended by him being President.

That explains the whole teleprompter thing as well. Can you believe this guy is reading words to us!?

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Wow, Rush had a nice little snipe at women today. He went on about a recent article in Bloomberg:

Bloomberg.com posted:

Unemployment data appear to reflect big advances for women. The jobless rate in August for females 20 years and older was 6.3 percent, the lowest since December 2008, compared with 7.1 percent for men. As recently as January, the rate was 7.3 percent for both genders, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
The downside is that the gains have been largely in lower-paying industries such as waitresses, in-home health care, food preparation and housekeeping. About 60 percent of the increase in employment for women from 2009 to 2012 was in jobs that pay less than $10.10 an hour, compared with 20 percent for men, according to a study by the National Women’s Law Center using data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
The numbers expose a soft spot in an economic recovery that has reduced the overall unemployment rate to 7.3 percent from 10 percent in October 2009. Quality of jobs is an increasing concern for U.S. policy makers and economists since it affects the level of incomes and wage disparities.
Of the 125,000 jobs women gained last month, 54,000 were in retail, leisure and hospitality, and just 24,000 in professional and business services. Many of those are part-time, 34 hours or less a week.
Food services and drinking places have added 354,000 jobs this year alone. “The place jobs have grown the most has been in these parts of the economy that women have traditionally filled more easily,” said Diane Swonk, who studies labor trends as chief economist for Mesirow Financial Inc. in Chicago.
Women have taken restaurant and retail jobs instead of teaching and other public-sector career positions that have disappeared, said Joan Entmacher, vice president for family economic security at the Washington-based law center. Females lost 444,000 public-sector jobs in the four years starting in June 2009, when the recession ended, compared with 290,000 for men.
“They are taking jobs as baristas in Starbucks and other jobs that used to go to people without college degrees,” Entmacher said. “It’s an anecdote but it’s also a fact.”
Rush then posits a question to women: Is it worth it to get all your free abortions and birth control to wait tables? The DemocRATS come in and tell you that the Republicans are going to take away your birth control and abortions, so women vote for Democrats out of fear! How is that going for you now ladies? :smuggo:

I'll try to post the transcript later, it's a nice bit of misogyny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

kik2dagroin posted:

Wow, Rush had a nice little snipe at women today. He went on about a recent article in Bloomberg:

This actually seems to be the new, somewhat unified GOP talking point: basically some variation on "Obama's Presidency has been great for the ONE PERCENT, for the average American not so much!" and decrying worsening income inequality as if GOP policies wouldn't be wanking off the Glorious Job Creators a million times more.

It's their somewhat sneaky way of working their way around to some kind of GOP populist appeal for the next go round. It isn't just Rush, I've seen the same point being made on TV by the generic Fox News/Cavuto type discussion pannel and I believe something similar has been posted on one of these threads from some other talking, Levin or Beck or somebody. It's definitely one of the OFFICIAL POINTS OF DISCUSSION by now.