Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I was the last employee actively using a company issued Blackberry when our last Exchange upgrade broke our BES server. Instead of fixing the BES server, they upgraded my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
We just dropped our BES. We use mobileiron for our phones and its pretty slick for exchange poo poo. Our sister company uses it to manage apps to keep people from having fun.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

We still use BES and only issue Blackberries. It actually works really well.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

Does the "B" still stand for "Blackberry?" That's enough to determine if I'll install it.

Let's be fair, it's called UDS not BES when you use it for non-BlackBerry devices!

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Alctel posted:

We still use BES and only issue Blackberries. It actually works really well.

Same here. I don't do bes admin but know the guy who does and he doesn't complain. We've never had a problem except that time the whole world's blackberrys went offline because they're for some reason routed through RIM's datacenter.

I do new activations and support for the BB feature-phones themselves. While they sure are boring & suck to use, support is a dream, they never have problems other than hw failures.

We used to let anyone connect anything byod or any random phone they bought through the company to an activesync server and that sucked in every imaginable way. Especially password changing time, every day is someone's password change day.

We're going byod with GOOD! here sometime soon.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 19, 2013

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

I can get 5 iPhones opened, activated, and pulling down emails in the time it would take me to get one blackberry activated properly.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I used to handle the Blackberrys at the last place and it was a pain. 70+ units. My users got very good at popping out the battery to try and cure the endless issues. And don't get me started on Entrprise Activation. It's like you get one shot and if it fails (10% of the time) you get to wipe the BB and try again. Pieces of poo poo.

I've exorcised almost all the BBs here in favor of iPhones and it has been smoove sailing.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Vin BioEthanol posted:

for some reason routed through RIM's datacenter.

NSA snooping probably.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you only need to manage iOS devices then Casper owns bones. There's a cloud option launching shortly as well if you don't want to host on-site.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Dick Trauma posted:

I used to handle the Blackberrys at the last place and it was a pain. 70+ units. My users got very good at popping out the battery to try and cure the endless issues. And don't get me started on Entrprise Activation. It's like you get one shot and if it fails (10% of the time) you get to wipe the BB and try again. Pieces of poo poo.

I've exorcised almost all the BBs here in favor of iPhones and it has been smoove sailing.

How you fix the activation problem is how you fix all of BB problems. Pull the battery out and if that doesn't fix it, wipe it. The new BBs are going to be annoying. Some of thema re going the no removable battery route of iPhones.

YOTJ:

Just got another email from a government position that I was in the running for was canceled. This makes for the second or third project to get funding, look for people and then get canceled.

Another position that looks interesting went up today, I want to rewrite my CV, anyone suggest a good resource? Ive found a bunch with google, but they are all useless. One site will say "Do A, B and C in your CV and you'll be good" The next will say "Do D, E and A. If you do C or B you wont get the job" and so on.

Hmm been almost a week since the domain expired and not a peep from the guys about the site. Ive sent emails and left voicemails with no reply, I think I may have been fired.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 19, 2013

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
gently caress Blackberries almost as hard as printers. gently caress their tiny, lovely little keyboards and terrible trackball/touchpad things. Yes it is nice to be able to set up their e-mail via a web interface but when it doesn't work and the error messages tell you nothing, then gently caress that too.

BYOD, I'll setup Exchange on it and then you can proceed to do whatever the gently caress you want because it's not my problem.

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

Sickening posted:

The only instance I have seen of this we paid it and then did a chargeback on the credit card. Fast, simple, and it helps get the wiretransfer service used shutdown faster.

How did you do a charge back? Everything I've read says that Cryptolocker only accepts payment through Bitcoin or prepaid services like MoneyPak.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Hiyoshi posted:

How did you do a charge back? Everything I've read says that Cryptolocker only accepts payment through Bitcoin or prepaid services like MoneyPak.

I think they changed to the prepaid services because of the chargebacks.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Vin BioEthanol posted:

We're going byod with GOOD! here sometime soon.

There is nothing good about Good. On Android, at any rate.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

deimos posted:

NSA snooping probably.
It's a legacy from when mobile bandwidth was the most precious resource on earth. They compressed the poo poo out of data making them extremely efficient on data use.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Citizen Z posted:

There is nothing good about Good. On Android, at any rate.

We only have one pilot user of it at my site, iphone. I only played around with it for a few minutes, thought it was neat you can access intranet pages. What's wrong with the Android version?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Dead Cow posted:

I can get 5 iPhones opened, activated, and pulling down emails in the time it would take me to get one blackberry activated properly.

It takes about 5 minutes to activate a blackberry, they are so easy.

The best thing about it is that you can control EVERYTHING about the devices, so can restrict the hell out of 3rd party apps, restrict the camera, force complex passwords and autolock-out-of-holster etc.

This probably isn't a big thing for most companies but most of our stuff is protected A/secret level.

A nice side effect is that the phones hardly ever break since there is no crap on them, and literally everything can be done remotely.

EDIT: of course when BES shits itself, it REALLY shits the bed.

Alctel fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 19, 2013

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

blackswordca posted:

Another position that looks interesting went up today, I want to rewrite my CV, anyone suggest a good resource? Ive found a bunch with google, but they are all useless. One site will say "Do A, B and C in your CV and you'll be good" The next will say "Do D, E and A. If you do C or B you wont get the job" and so on.

I got pretty good results from the resume goon, he's got a thread in BFC and/or SA-Mart I think.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Vin BioEthanol posted:

We only have one pilot user of it at my site, iphone. I only played around with it for a few minutes, thought it was neat you can access intranet pages. What's wrong with the Android version?

It's very badly written. It likes to stop working if it hasn't been checked for a while(Usually overnight). It's a resource hog, crash prone and worst of all destroys battery life. Users(Myself including) typically report a 25-50% decrease in battery life.

I've tested it on my device with it just running, not ever opening it after the initial check to make sure it's synchronizing for the day and seen a 40-ish percent reduction in battery compared to when it's not running.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

blackswordca posted:

How you fix the activation problem is how you fix all of BB problems. Pull the battery out and if that doesn't fix it, wipe it. The new BBs are going to be annoying. Some of thema re going the no removable battery route of iPhones.

YOTJ:

Just got another email from a government position that I was in the running for was canceled. This makes for the second or third project to get funding, look for people and then get canceled.

Hmm been almost a week since the domain expired and not a peep from the guys about the site. Ive sent emails and left voicemails with no reply, I think I may have been fired.

My YOTJ is my contract runs out next week, and it got rebid, so I am getting laid off and we're spending this week working and hoping the new contract bidder decides to bring us back on. Talk about the office being on pins and needles.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Alctel posted:

It takes about 5 minutes to activate a blackberry, they are so easy.

The best thing about it is that you can control EVERYTHING about the devices, so can restrict the hell out of 3rd party apps, restrict the camera, force complex passwords and autolock-out-of-holster etc.

This probably isn't a big thing for most companies but most of our stuff is protected A/secret level.

A nice side effect is that the phones hardly ever break since there is no crap on them, and literally everything can be done remotely.

EDIT: of course when BES shits itself, it REALLY shits the bed.

You may be using a different cell phone provider but everytime I've ever called to activate the phone it's been 40 minutes a phone.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Hiyoshi posted:

Can't you pay for your MoneyPak or bitcoins or whatever with a credit card? At some point through the chain, unless you're driving to Russia and paying in cash, you can pay for it with a credit card.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Can't you pay for your MoneyPak or bitcoins or whatever with a credit card? At some point through the chain, unless you're driving to Russia and paying in cash, you can pay for it with a credit card.

I think moneypak has to be bought with cash. I know nothing about bitcoins.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Those charge backs will never hold up. You getting a virus, purchasing a greendot at CVS or 7-11, then using that to pay the ransom is not a valid charge back. Not only that, special rules apply to cash and cash like products

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I imagine any charge to moneypack, a bitcoin reseller, or anything these guys would accept are all over the illegitimate market, and the bank would likely waive it off as a fraudulent charge and nuke the card over fighting it.

I haven't seen anything like that greendot here, but I don't live in the US and figured it was all online though. Buying something in a store might be a different story.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

You could theoretically file a dispute with Green Dot if you bought a Moneypak to pay this thing off. Good luck with actually seeing any money back, though, and crucially, even if you did it wouldn't hit the scammer at all, who has long since cashed out and gone on to the next mark.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

I imagine any charge to moneypack, a bitcoin reseller, or anything these guys would accept are all over the illegitimate market, and the bank would likely waive it off as a fraudulent charge and nuke the card over fighting it.

I haven't seen anything like that greendot here, but I don't live in the US and figured it was all online though. Buying something in a store might be a different story.

Moneypaks can be bought with cash only, they're disposable credit type cards. You can't do chargebacks on them, and can't return them to where you bought it if you have issues. By making people buy bitcoin (which is bought with moneypak funds usually) they're providing a second "launder" of the money to them with no ability to do chargebacks. I don't even think you can buy bitcoins with a regular charge card.

http://goldengate.bbb.org/article/bbb-scammers-use-green-dot-moneypaks-to-steal-online-18427

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Haha, how is that sort of thing even legal? I can think of 0 legitimate uses for that.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Haha, how is that sort of thing even legal? I can think of 0 legitimate uses for that.

There's a huge chunk of the population that doesn't have access to banking. This allows that segment access to markets that don't do business in cash.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Dead Cow posted:

You may be using a different cell phone provider but everytime I've ever called to activate the phone it's been 40 minutes a phone.

Oh, ours arrive already activated from our provider, then its 5 minutes to add to the BES server.

Occasionally if it's a replacement we have to activate them but it's never longer than a 5min phone call.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Citizen Z posted:

It's very badly written. It likes to stop working if it hasn't been checked for a while(Usually overnight). It's a resource hog, crash prone and worst of all destroys battery life. Users(Myself including) typically report a 25-50% decrease in battery life.

I've tested it on my device with it just running, not ever opening it after the initial check to make sure it's synchronizing for the day and seen a 40-ish percent reduction in battery compared to when it's not running.

yep. It's really, really poorly programmed - and for a long time it refused to even install/work without a sim card. So want to have good on your tablet at home for backup email access? Nope. Jellybean support? Pretty much nope, although I think they updated that in the last couple months. Yes, months.. They are about as functional as android in 2007 at this point. As mentioned, they have bigtime wakelocks problem and it will constantly wake up the phone to call home. The only single plus is that it doesn't enforce a pin lock as the lock is correctly on the app itself.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Every motherfucker has decided to download IOS7 on our public wifi. Thanks assholes!

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

stubblyhead posted:

I got pretty good results from the resume goon, he's got a thread in BFC and/or SA-Mart I think.

Seconding this. I paid the resume goon and was happy with his work.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Swink posted:

Every motherfucker has decided to download IOS7 on our public wifi. Thanks assholes!

Well what did you expect? Throttle that poo poo if it bothers you.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Swink posted:

Time to go hunting through their personal photos!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/09/19/ios-7-bug-lets-anyone-bypass-iphones-lockscreen-to-hijack-photos-email-or-twitter/

Seriously though, Crowley's right; limit total throughput to Apple's update servers - let the assholes only poo poo up each other's updates.

Limit the total bandwidth allowed to 10KB/s for extreme comedy.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Crowley posted:

Well what did you expect? Throttle that poo poo if it bothers you.

The internal IT guys at my work downloaded the IPSW updates and iTunes installers or whatever and threw them on an internal share, then throttled Apple to hell. Seems to have worked.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

My registrar somehow managed to make all my domains bounce email with a "recipient does not have an account" error! Whoooo!

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

My registrar somehow managed to make all my domains bounce email with a "recipient does not have an account" error! Whoooo!
Sounds like your MX record got changed by accident?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

teethgrinder posted:

It's a legacy from when mobile bandwidth was the most precious resource on earth. They compressed the poo poo out of data making them extremely efficient on data use.

And also conveniently giving them a reason to skive more money off any business that used blackberries. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.
:siren::siren:An email came in: my four man department is getting weekend and after hour call rotations setup with a primary and a backup! Two of the people aren't even on helpdesk, they're admins. No mention of compensation. None of us have offered up our weekends.

This new company's tanking morale at an astounding rate. 3/5 of the original team will be gone in less than six months, taking a combined 30 years worth of institutional knowledge with them. I can't :ytoj: fast enough.

• Locked thread