Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011
Pretty sure the blue block is 'British empire 5.0', which includes Saudi Arabia, the Gulf monarchies and everywhere else BP, BA and BAe get their money from. Then Canada comes along with one side of that relationship (due to who's on the back of the banknotes), and Norway the other (as an oil producing country).

Same basic deal as why France and South Africa are in the same block, when afaik they have never had any particularly noticable relationship; they have allies/business partners in common.

That's what network analysis generally does; takes a unwieldy long list of obvious facts and turns it into a nice short list of conclusions that are half obvious and half bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

PrinceRandom posted:

I think that trying to paint the world in 5 (Ostentatiously 7 since South Asia sans Pakistan is it's own color and Burma is unreported) is kinda superficial from the get go.

India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh are their own color (red). Pakistan is dark blue like most of the Middle East

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Fojar38 posted:

What's Norway's reason for being so negatively viewed then?
Norway doesn't just produce oil, its oil companies have interests all over the world. Oil trade's a messy business.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

3peat posted:

We've had large scale street protests for weeks now in Romania against a Canadian mining company that's trying to get their hands on the biggest gold and silver deposit in europe, at Rosia Montana. Under street pressure the government has backed down on the deal, and in response last week the Canadians have threatened to sue Romania for 4 billion euros and to wage an international media campaign to discourage foreign companies from investing in Romania.
So yea, the public and media here has a pretty negative perception of Canada these days (which is funny since the biggest shareholders in that canadian mining venture are actually Israelis and Americans)

Yeah, Canadian mining companies are loving assholes. And while this is the first I'm hearing of this particular issue, and it's absolutely ridiculous especially given the poo poo the US does to us under NAFTA, it hardly seems like the worst of it. The real poo poo is absolutely criminal stuff they get up to in Asia and South America. And when they're not violating the human rights of some poor foreigner, they're defrauding Canadians!

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Riptor posted:

India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh are their own color (red). Pakistan is dark blue like most of the Middle East

That's what I said ?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

And I love it when fellow canadians get a sense of pride at this poo poo. Like "our" companies are doing well. They're just flagged in Canada and I guess maybe pay a few dollars in taxes, but otherwise provide no benefit to the average Canadian but certainly take advantage of the aspects of Canada they need.

Corporations are not a team sport and have pretty much divorced them selves from their host countries.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Hey friend, you aren't my buddy, pal. Sorry.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Map of die Linke votes in the 2013 German election. Can you identify the borders of East Germany?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Mu Cow posted:

Map of die Linke votes in the 2013 German election. Can you identify the borders of East Germany?

Wow, does that pattern hold true for Berlin as well? It looks like a miniature of the country as a whole.

:fractal:

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Kegluneq posted:

Wow, does that pattern hold true for Berlin as well? It looks like a miniature of the country as a whole.

:fractal:

If you look in the middle of all that dark purple you will see a splotch of lighter purple. That's West Berlin.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

jb7 posted:

If you look in the middle of all that dark purple you will see a splotch of lighter purple. That's West Berlin.
Yeah, that was kind of a rhetorical question (although I wasn't entirely certain that it matched with east/west Berlin exactly).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

This may have been mentioned before in this thread, but East-West Berlin is so historically entrenched you can tell them apart from space:

Each side had a different light bulb manufacturing process which resulted in a slightly different color.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
http://news.dartlang.org/2013/09/googles-german-election-map-powered-by.html

Found this interactive map of the German election results. Along what would have been the East German border, die Linke gets about 20-30% of the vote and then their neighbors on the other side give them less than 5%. It's not a minor dropoff. Though they seem to have only actually won anything in Berlin.

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

Kalos posted:

Found this interactive map of the German election results. Along what would have been the East German border, die Linke gets about 20-30% of the vote and then their neighbors on the other side give them less than 5%. It's not a minor dropoff. Though they seem to have only actually won anything in Berlin.

They also get seats allocated on a proportional basis.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Kalos posted:

This maps only shows the results of the "first vote", a straight FPTP voting, electing one member per district. The more interesting "second vote" is actually used to proportionally decide the makeup of the parliament.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

frankenfreak posted:

This maps only shows the results of the "first vote", a straight FPTP voting, electing one member per district. The more interesting "second vote" is actually used to proportionally decide the makeup of the parliament.

Sorry, I didn't know much (read: anything) about the German political process. I'm assuming the second election lets the other parties pick up more seats and Germany just isn't wholly dominated by the CSU/CDU.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The German election system is an ungodly complicated mess that might even be unconstitutional (again/still?).

Not that it would affect the election result.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Riso posted:

The German election system is an ungodly complicated mess that might even be unconstitutional (again/still?).

Not that it would affect the election result.

The constitutionality issue seems to have been resolved. In order to maintain proportionality, when a party wins more seats directly than it should through proportional representation, the number of seats in the Bundestag are increased until proportionality is restored. If this were not done, the CDU/CSU would likely have a majority of seats.

So a quick primer on Germany voting. Everyone gets two votes. The first vote goes to who you want to represent your district. The second vote determines the number of seats each party receives. The first vote is a "first-past-the-post" election like is used in the US and UK and heavily favors larger parties. Since the CDU is by far the largest party, it won 235 of 299 district seats. The second vote assigns seats proportionally, giving minor parties, which rarely win districts, seats in the Bundestag. This way, people who support minor parties can vote for their preferred party with their second vote while voting for a candidate who's more likely to win with their first vote.

For example, your preferred party are the Greens, but they're unlikely to win the district you live in. Therefore, you can vote for the SPD candidate with your first vote to keep the CDU candidate from winning and vote for the Greens with your second vote.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Tis is why I like the Bavarian election system: all first votes that didn't go towards the winner aren't lost, but are instead considered when determining the parliament's final composition as well.

Oh, and I found this totally rad video about the difference between Holland and the Netherlands, I think especially A Buttery Pastry would appreciate it:

link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link link

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 4, 2016

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

System Metternich posted:

Tis is why I like the Bavarian election system: all first votes that didn't go towards the winner aren't lost, but are instead considered when determining the parliament's final composition as well.
You can also vote for individuals on the party list, potentially changing the list's order from what the party proposed. Unfortunately, it also leads to this:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm assuming that's a fairly common system, it's also in use where I live.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I refused to click on a BuzzFeed article because it's BuzzFeed, but it seems like they just put out a piece endorsing the Peters projection. It just popped up on my newsfeed. :smithicide:

I hate that West Wing clip and I hate BuzzFeed.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 25, 2013

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

frankenfreak posted:

You can also vote for individuals on the party list, potentially changing the list's order from what the party proposed. Unfortunately, it also leads to this:

Yeah, it's a lot of fun to count this stuff.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

PrinceRandom posted:

That's what I said ?

whoops, sorry - I read that as "Pakistan has its own color"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Echo Chamber posted:

I refused to click on a BuzzFeed article because it's BuzzFeed, but it seems like they just put out a piece endorsing the Peters projection. It just popped up on my newsfeed. :smithicide:

I agree with all of this.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Echo Chamber posted:

What's wrong with it? The projection, I mean. I don't know much about cartography.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Rejected Fate posted:

What's wrong with it? The projection, I mean. I don't know much about cartography.

There were some good effort posts about it earlier in the thread, but basically the Gall-Peters projection is supposed to more accurately represent the relative size of the areas of the world compared to the common Mercator projection, which distorts the sizes of the lands near the poles (Greenland is wrongly shown as being bigger than South America, for example). The problem being that the Gall-Peters has a ton of distortion of its own, just in different places and in different ways. The only way to have no distortion is to use a globe.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It's also possible to use a projection that spreads the distortion out over the whole world as much as possible though. Then you get maps that are mostly correct in any particular place and don't reflect massive cultural biases.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Funny thing about Gall-Peters is it has the least amount of distortion at 45 degrees of latitude.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I have grown rather fond of Wagner VI as a projection. Looks simple, is simple. Looks good, is good.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Worst states in America for women:

The answer is Louisiana. :ssh:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh Indiana, proud bastion of terribleness in the okay-to-nice Great Lakes region. :allears:

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Why do Finns apparently like Scots but no one else?

E: Well, I guess "Legos" isn't really a put down.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Best not to try to figure out why Finns like what they like.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Alaska bucks the "blue state = good for women; red state = poo poo for women" trend.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Lycus posted:

Alaska bucks the "blue state = good for women; red state = poo poo for women" trend.

Which is pretty surprising, given their rape incidence.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lycus posted:

So did Michigan and Pennsylvania.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

80% of PA is widely mocked and disdained by people from across the north east and mid west as Pennsyltucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh Indiana, proud bastion of terribleness in the okay-to-nice Great Lakes region. :allears:

Indiana gets an F for ultrasounds before abortion and the lack of Pre-Kindergarten.