Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Hope no one minds me shilling a moment. I liked the Twenty Palaces series a whole lot, and the author of the series is writing a traditional fantasy thing which he's doing a kickstarter for. This might not be the best thread to say something about it but I figure anyone who has read his stuff reads this thread. The Kickstarter starts in 11 hours or so, and I think his stuff is good enough that he deserves a break. There's no link yet because the kickstarter hasn't started.

edit: it's up http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1179145430/the-great-way-an-epic-fantasy-trilogy-by-harry-con

fermun fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...
I just did a full series re-read, and I have a couple of thoughts, which I will spoiler for new readers.

I am not sure if I am entirely onboard with the idea that Lash is the parasite because I'm not sure it fits.

Lash was a sort of recording of Lasciel in Harry's brain whose purpose was to tempt him to take up the coin.

If she were the parasite, then that would explain why the Knights of the Cross were so sure that you never got rid of it, and it would mean that the persuasion was time-limited in that if the recording couldn't tempt the human to take up the coin, the human would eventually be destroyed.

To me, that doesn't entirely make sense. If the parasite took over the host, there would be no need to take up the coin, right? Getting the recording in the brain would be enough, and it would seem to me that the Nickelheads would always have a few coins free in order to infect strong-willed people who might not easily be subverted, as a means of assassination.

Then again, Harry took the "el" off Lasciel's name and as Uriel says, "it's kind of an important part of who I am". So it may be that all bets are off as far as what Lash is and does.

The other thing that leapt to mind is in the closing of Cold Days, Kringle just about flat out tells Harry that he can put down the mantle of Winter on Halloween. This also led me to wonder if Mac is actually a former Winter Knight. That would explain why Mab healed him--he has said "I'm out" repeatedly. If he put down the mantle and made a bargain with Mab to remain neutral as a part of putting the mantle down, Mab would be obligated to undo any harm to him if he got dragged into Fae business.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
The coins only leave an imprint of their original personality on their host, and they only have as much power as their host allows. They are just exceptionally good at corrupting and influencing. They have to willingly pick up the coin to be infected, you can't just force one into someone's hand. Harry was tricked into picking up the coin, but he still picked it up.

Lash effectively became an entire new entity separate from Lasciel as a result of being named, and interacting with Harry.

The Lash is the parasite speculation comes from: Lash burning out the parts of his brain that she lived in, headaches being attributed by Butters to be a result of his brain damage that is being repaired via wizard regeneration, and later in the series those same headaches are attributed as being caused by the parasite.
The parasite also has enough control of Harry that it is able to maintain his bodily functions while he soul is off goofing around during Ghost Story, and the intelligence/self-awareness to bargain with demonreach/Mab which matches Lash capabilities pretty closely.

Why Lash would not want demonreach/mab to tell them her identity and why her emerging would kill Harry we don't know, but it's not something that couldn't be explained in the next book.

The next logical possibility for the parasite is the adversary itself, which seems a lot harder for him to write a way out of, and not something Mab would bargain with.

Lastly and most importantly for Lash is the parasite speculation, Lash is pretty awesome and we want her to come back

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

THF13 posted:

Lastly and most importantly for Lash is the parasite speculation, Lash is pretty awesome and we want her to come back

I was pretty firmly in the, "This is a bad theory" camp until you made this point. This is such a good point.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...

THF13 posted:

... headaches being attributed by Butters to be a result of his brain damage that is being repaired via wizard regeneration ...

When does Butters say he thinks that? The only thing I recall Butters saying about it is that he wanted Harry to try the MRI again because it could be something serious. (End of Chapter 1 in Turncoat)

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Zola posted:

When does Butters say he thinks that? The only thing I recall Butters saying about it is that he wanted Harry to try the MRI again because it could be something serious. (End of Chapter 1 in Turncoat)

He doesn't. It was Bob, at the end of White Night. It's the same conversation where Bob mentions that Lash was running off his soul like a battery. You know, like a parasite would.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...

Potooweet posted:

He doesn't. It was Bob, at the end of White Night. It's the same conversation where Bob mentions that Lash was running off his soul like a battery. You know, like a parasite would.
The headaches showed up in Turncoat, which is after White Night, and that's what I'm getting at. The headaches might be Lash, but given that all we know is that Harry was having headaches and Butters was worried about them, we don't know for sure, which is why I'm not entirely on board with the Lash = Parasite theory.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

It couldn't have been Lash and the Parasite, could it?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Parasite is obviously the so-called 'subconscious harry'.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
It's a theory based on likely foreshadowing in popular fantasy novels, not a peer reviewed double-blind randomized placebo controlled trial. We can't prove the identity of The Parasite to a statistically significant p<0.05.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
I should mention that if you liked 20 palaces, Harry Connolly is doing a kickstarter for a (non 20 palaces) book right now

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner

THF13 posted:

The Lash is the parasite speculation comes from: Lash burning out the parts of his brain that she lived in, headaches being attributed by Butters to be a result of his brain damage that is being repaired via wizard regeneration, and later in the series those same headaches are attributed as being caused by the parasite.

What we know of wizardly regeneration actually works against this. When butters shows Harry his x-rays we see that the damage goes away entirely, and is made as new. But damage to the brain would totally eliminate anything contained within those cells, and anything that regenerated would come back as a blank slate. When Bob was talking to Harry about the burn-out resulting from Lash taking the mental bullet for him, he mentioned that not only was there damage to his brain, but entire chunks of his aura/soul/essence had been burned away "like swiss cheese". This to me would obviate Lash returning in quite the same way.

A lot of the foreshadowing we've been running off of (as far as I can tell) is based on Butcher stating that Lasciel is coming back, and is pissed. Additionally, Butcher has stated that Lash still exists and was in the book "Ghost Story" under a different name. There has even been an uncorroborated report from some fan or another that Butcher told him that Lash was the Parasite, but that's a single uncorroborated report. Really it comes down to whether Butcher is going to ret-con Lash into being the parasite despite him writing plenty of reasons she couldn't be into the series. I personally think it doesn't fit. At least not smoothly. And my personal theory is that The parasite is not Lash, but is potentially a reforming version of Lasciel's shadow. Lash became a separate entity, and it's very possible that there are now two versions bouncing around. Maybe not both in Harry's brain, since it seems likely that Lash manifested independently during Ghost Story, but I think there is going to be a knock-down drag-out fight between the two versions of the shadow at some point.

DJ_Ferret fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 20, 2013

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I'm hoping Lash is the parasite just because it would be really cool for Harry to have a Bob inside of his head. It could probably also help him manipulate Soulfire, as Lasciel once wielded it herself (presumably).

Sometimes the rule of cool is the most important thing!

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner

Silento posted:

I'm hoping Lash is the parasite just because it would be really cool for Harry to have a Bob inside of his head. It could probably also help him manipulate Soulfire, as Lasciel once wielded it herself (presumably).

Sometimes the rule of cool is the most important thing!

The parasite is actively trying to kill him is it not? That would make a happy Lash becomes his internal version of Bob scenario much less likely.

Though yes, that would be amazingly cool. I want Lash back as a character, I just don't see how the story has been set up to bring her back in a positive way.

unrelated: I feel like the REDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTED

DJ_Ferret fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 20, 2013

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...

DJ_Ferret posted:

The parasite is actively trying to kill him is it not? That would make a happy Lash becomes his internal version of Bob scenario much less likely.

Though yes, that would be amazingly cool. I want Lash back as a character, I just don't see how the story has been set up to bring her back in a positive way.

unrelated: I feel like the spoilering/redacting is getting out of hand again.
I've been spoiling because we have someone on the thread recently that hasn't quite gotten to Cold Days. It's a lot of fun when new people start reading, so I spoiler so they don't feel they can't come into the thread.

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner
Aha, I accede the point.

Adding content, I've been re-listening to the books and I just finished Changes, starting up Ghost Story again. The change in narrator was MUCH more sudden and upsetting with less than 5 minutes of gap between books rather than a year plus.

SagatPunisherFanFic
Apr 16, 2009

cultureulterior posted:

I should mention that if you liked 20 palaces, Harry Connolly is doing a kickstarter for a (non 20 palaces) book right now

His writing ability dived in to the toilet so hard after book 1 of twenty palace, has anything changed?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

DJ_Ferret posted:

unrelated: I feel like the REDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTED

The parasite doesn't want to kill him though, based on Ghost Story. It kept him alive. The problem is that once it matures/heals, it'd somehow kill him in the process as a consequence.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
So I'm up to the third or fourth Mercy Thompson book now, wanted to thank whoever recommended it. Not the best books, but well-read and good enough to pass time at work. That said, I really really dislike the mental domination throughout the entire loving series all the drat time but its not the worlds biggest issue.

DrFrankenStrudel
May 14, 2012

Where am I? I don't even know anymore...

DJ_Ferret posted:

What we know of wizardly regeneration actually works against this. When butters shows Harry his x-rays we see that the damage goes away entirely, and is made as new. But damage to the brain would totally eliminate anything contained within those cells, and anything that regenerated would come back as a blank slate. When Bob was talking to Harry about the burn-out resulting from Lash taking the mental bullet for him, he mentioned that not only was there damage to his brain, but entire chunks of his aura/soul/essence had been burned away "like swiss cheese". This to me would obviate Lash returning in quite the same way.

A lot of the foreshadowing we've been running off of (as far as I can tell) is based on Butcher stating that Lasciel is coming back, and is pissed. Additionally, Butcher has stated that Lash still exists and was in the book "Ghost Story" under a different name. There has even been an uncorroborated report from some fan or another that Butcher told him that Lash was the Parasite, but that's a single uncorroborated report. Really it comes down to whether Butcher is going to ret-con Lash into being the parasite despite him writing plenty of reasons she couldn't be into the series. I personally think it doesn't fit. At least not smoothly. And my personal theory is that The parasite is not Lash, but is potentially a reforming version of Lasciel's shadow. Lash became a separate entity, and it's very possible that there are now two versions bouncing around. Maybe not both in Harry's brain, since it seems likely that Lash manifested independently during Ghost Story, but I think there is going to be a knock-down drag-out fight between the two versions of the shadow at some point.

From a purely biological standpoint if his bones had been repaired "as new" or as a "blank slate" they would be be vastly different in tissue composition/morphological characteristics than adult bone and would be a major liability to our bumbling wizard. I could go all biological :science: on the subject and explain how/what would change, but I'll save us all a long post and make the point that you can't read too deeply into the precise phrasing of a one-off conversation written 4 or 5 books ago. A more straightforward interpretation of those passages is simply that he regenerates damage perfectly to it's pre-injury state.

That interpretation also indirectly explains the headaches. Lash was more or less an imprint stored in Harry's brain so it makes sense that pieces of her would be restored piece by piece as the damage slowly healed. As Harry found out first hand at the end of Ghost Story, returning to life was one of the most profoundly painful things he'd ever experienced thus as pieces of Lash reconnect and "come back to life" it would make sense that with her living in Harry's head he would catch some spillover, the episodes naturally increasing in frequency/severity as the healing nears completion and more and more neurons reconnect restoring Lash.

As for soul related stuff it's mostly too vague to use as evidence either way, particularly since Harry's come to the realization (circa Cold Days) that the Soul is something amorphous which can't really be quantified or measured, he also recognized that Bob's explanation at the end of White Knight while a good place to start didn't properly describe the soul or soulfire. While that has a tiny taste of ret-con to it, fine tuning the rules in the Dresdenverse on something as mysterious as souls is hardly criminal particularly considering how vague and open ended Butcher left most of the previous information regarding the subject.

I don't really see any reasons why it couldn't be Lash. Remember that while Lasciel may be "coming back and pissed" Lash =/= Lasciel and stopped being her shadow when she exercised free will. Also the obvious link is that part of that free will business was herleeching parasitically off Harry's soul.

Mostly I think that character is the likely parasite simply because (as mentioned above) of the "rule of cool". There would be so many interesting ways for Butcher to take that plotline and develop the character in a unique way that hasn't really been used in any mainstream works I can think of.

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner
Now that's a chain of logic I can get behind. For some reason your argument makes more sense as written than others have. It also helps that I'm re-listening to Ghost Story and Harry just had the conversation with Inez and Eternal Silence. Thinking about the parasite's identity while listening to that made it seem much more likely.

And referring to the Parasite wanting to kill Harry. The parasite did help him live, but we do have to keep in mind that if the host dies the parasite dies as well. It is possible that the Parasite did not want to kill Harry, but keep in mind is it causing him intentional harm in such a way that Demonreach has to yell at it to make it stop hurting Harry. That could be unintentional, but it seems that an entity capable of doing something as complex biologically/magically as producing freaking BLOOD would be aware of the pain it was causing. It seems to me like it is acting out of self preservation, keeping the environment that it needs to live (see definition of Parasite) functioning at a basic level until it can burst out and discard the shell it was using to leverage its way to the real world.

We may be seeing a return not of our friendly neighborhood Lash, nor of Lasciel's shadow, but of a combined entity. OR Lash is just a little thoughtless. Also possible.

edit: if it seems like I'm changing my opinion with nearly every post, it's because y'all make convincing arguments and I have to integrate them into my theories.

DJ_Ferret fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 21, 2013

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Dresden withdrawals actually has me looking for a set of the TV show. Blackthorne is better than nothing, right?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

WarLocke posted:

Dresden withdrawals actually has me looking for a set of the TV show. Blackthorne is better than nothing, right?

It's on Netflix, if you have access to that. It was... Interesting, as long as you're expecting something that only vaguely resembles the books.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Arcsech posted:

It's on Netflix, if you have access to that. It was... Interesting, as long as you're expecting something that only vaguely resembles the books.

I've actually seen it before. Actually, pretty sure I saw the show before reading any of the books. Agreed that it took a lot of liberties (the DuMorne stuff always stuck in my craw) but TV-Bob made up for a lot of it.

e: And Paul Blackthorne (?), while he may not totally match the Harry from the books, was loving fantastic casting otherwise.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

DJ_Ferret posted:

OR Lash is just a little thoughtless. Also possible.

She has been spending too much time around Harry. It might be contagious.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

WarLocke posted:

TV-Bob made up for a lot of it.

I met Terence Mann in July after a performance of Pippin and mentioned to him that he'd seemed familiar but when I heard him speak, I knew he was Bob the Ghost from The Dresden Files tv series. He said he was sad that the series ended and that he'd had fun playing that part.

I also may or may not have mentioned Critters and Critters 2. :3:

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner

veekie posted:

She has been spending too much time around Harry. It might be contagious.

For someone who makes a living noticing things and making connections, you'd think he would be better at it.

Though I suppose his investigative methods are about as complex as his diplomatic tactics. "This is America, our idea of diplomacy is to show up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other"

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

DJ_Ferret posted:

For someone who makes a living noticing things and making connections, you'd think he would be better at it.

Though I suppose his investigative methods are about as complex as his diplomatic tactics. "This is America, our idea of diplomacy is to show up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other"

His idea of diplomacy is to show up with a gun in one hand and a pizza in the other.

For Toot.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

veekie posted:

His idea of diplomacy is to show up with a gun in one hand and a pizza in the other.

For Toot.

Who, the next time we see him, will probably be armed with some form of primitive cannon.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

mirthdefect posted:

Who, the next time we see him, will probably be armed with some form of primitive cannon.

Toot will be a full-sized Lord of faeries by the end of this series.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

mirthdefect posted:

Nah, Lacuna's the gunner. He'll just have a dachshund in war armor, with a battleaxe made out of an old pizza cutter :3:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Nah, Lacuna's the gunner. He'll just have a dachshund in war armor, with a battleaxe made out of an old pizza cutter :3:

ONWARD, NOBLE STEED! *loud rattling of both teeth and armor as war-dachshund does the hop-run thing*

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Dachshunds are impractical and kinda dumb. A small herding breed like a corgi, on the other hand...

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Toot is so fast and so mobile that basically any kind of mount at all would be awful and impractical, so I vote for the weiner dog for comedy value.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Please. With as powerful as Toot's becoming, he can probably make that sumbitch fly, much like Murphy's Wild Hunt'd Harley.

r0ff13c0p73r
Sep 6, 2008

404GoonNotFound posted:

Please. With as powerful as Toot's becoming, he can probably make that sumbitch fly, much like Murphy's Wild Hunt'd Harley.

You're all missing the point...eventually, Toot will be able to ride Mouse!

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Welsh folklore does say that corgis are the preferred mounts of fairies. That's why some have a white stripe down their side - it's obviously a fairy saddle.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

r0ff13c0p73r posted:

You're all missing the point...eventually, Toot will be able to ride Mouse!

No, those pony rides are reserved for Maggie and Maggie alone :colbert:

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

404GoonNotFound posted:

No, those pony rides are reserved for Maggie and Maggie alone :colbert:

Pretty sure Mouse is bigger than most ponies by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

DJ_Ferret posted:

Now that's a chain of logic I can get behind. For some reason your argument makes more sense as written than others have. It also helps that I'm re-listening to Ghost Story and Harry just had the conversation with Inez and Eternal Silence. Thinking about the parasite's identity while listening to that made it seem much more likely.

And referring to the Parasite wanting to kill Harry. The parasite did help him live, but we do have to keep in mind that if the host dies the parasite dies as well. It is possible that the Parasite did not want to kill Harry, but keep in mind is it causing him intentional harm in such a way that Demonreach has to yell at it to make it stop hurting Harry. That could be unintentional, but it seems that an entity capable of doing something as complex biologically/magically as producing freaking BLOOD would be aware of the pain it was causing. It seems to me like it is acting out of self preservation, keeping the environment that it needs to live (see definition of Parasite) functioning at a basic level until it can burst out and discard the shell it was using to leverage its way to the real world.

We may be seeing a return not of our friendly neighborhood Lash, nor of Lasciel's shadow, but of a combined entity. OR Lash is just a little thoughtless. Also possible.

edit: if it seems like I'm changing my opinion with nearly every post, it's because y'all make convincing arguments and I have to integrate them into my theories.

With the whole parasite thing, I prefer this explanation someone posted here ages ago.

DrFrankenStrudel posted:

Here's something I picked up on that noone else has mentioned. If you remember Harry's mental depictions of Lash she was always a woman dressed in an ancient Greek style tunic/robe, which is what put me on this train of thought. Harry's situation has a lot of comparability with Greek mythology, specifically the Athena mythos.

Athena was considered a goddess of wisdom, strategy, crafts, while also in many tales providing counsel for the heroes. Our Lash character archetypes from near the end of her time w/ Harry are pretty much spot on, with Harry frequently consulting her for knowledge and even for help planning in the heat of battle, hell she even helps him overcome his burned hand to create music.

Secondly the Athena birth myth matches up nearly spot on with what we've seen so far. In the most popular Athena origin story she was conceived and grew within Zeus for many years This origin is a metaphor for Harry giving Lash free will, "conceiving" her as an independent being.
Eventually Zues began to have enormous headaches (as Harry does) which got progressively worse until Athena burst from his forehead fully formed.
When Harry asks (in chapter 17, page 165) "What happens if it stays in there?" Demonreach specifically replies "IT BURSTS FORTH FROM YOUR SKULL.". pretty cryptic, but not necessarily a gorey fatal mess.

In summary: I think that Lash the Free willed entity, has been growing/recovering within Harry, since she saved him from the psychic assault, and at some point in the next book or two will Burst forth from Harry's head as a fully formed being.

How will that happen you ask?
Where will her body come from you ask?
Harry's had access to the soulfire MOJO for a few years now, and while we haven't seen him use it a lot, the parasite presumably has been siphoning some of that soulfire for years, storing it up towards a critical mass where it can create a body (probably a physical/spirtual body like the fae), the natural symptoms of such a buildup would be Harry's horrible headaches (just like Zues).

It makes sense from a writer's point of view too. Think about it, a character who Dresden is quasi-romantically attatched to, has a brand new body with the full knowledge and intellect of a Fallen Angel, and has ultimate unpredictability: FREE WILL.
Holy available plot directions BATMAN!!!

Plus, on a Butcher specific note he likes to play with the Free Will/redemption motif.
Maeve acquires free will from the maleficent Nemesis, freed from her immutable nature she doesn't know how to deal and goes insane, how much of that was free will or the touch of Nemesis is up for debate.
Lash acquires free will from the imperfect (but generally well-intentioned) Harry, freed from her immutable nature the choices she makes, the influences Harry has on her, she has the capability to change into a mighty force for good or evil.

You get to pack:
Free Will,
Redemption,
and the consequences of your choices on others,
into a single character study, all of which are motifs Butcher likes to groove on. (not to mention are generally interesting) Butcher even prologued one of his short stories with a page or two about that last motif in his own life.

It just makes sense to me. All the pieces seem to fit.

• Locked thread