Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Trollhawke posted:

While I'm waiting for part 8 to update, what's everyones favourite chapter? I've seen/watched/played Stardust Crusade, but I'm trying to decide between jumping to part 7,4 or 5.

Steel Ball Run is the best part and Gyro is the best Zeppeli. Also Johnny is a pretty cool JoJo I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Johnny is pretty cool.

My favorites are definitely 4, 6 and 7. Least is probably 1 or 5 but I still enjoyed both a lot. Josuke and Jolyne are tied for favorite JoJo.

Gyro is definitely the best of the bro characters. His interactions with Johnny are great.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I think I'm liking SBR the best of all the parts so far. I really liked Part 6 but that ending did things to me. :(

Also, here's a cool video that I don't know if it's been linked before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYCk2udVFvo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I love both part 4 and part 7. I'd say that part 7 is better objectively, but part 4 was just so much fun to read that I like it a bit more.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I think that story wise, part 7 is probably the best part. Part four will, I think, always be my favorite because it seemed to encapsulate so much of what the manga actually is. Crazy abilities used in cool ways, bullshit powers for no reason, fights that actually convey a sense of urgency, and a villain who wasn't hellbent on some ridiculous outcome. Kira was a stone cold killer, yeah, but you can't not feel a little bad since all he really wanted was a normal life.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

onepixeljumpman posted:

Underworld should at least be a loving stage hazard. Getting charged by a sudden Miami Dolphins defensive rush basically writes itself.

I'm interested in Old Joseph. Lisa Lisa will probably end up like Fugo and have maybe one notable trait, but otherwise play very basically. Also, that thing under Lisa Lisa in the lower right corner mentions Anasui, Vanilla Ice, and Baoh.

From what I've heard Old Joseph will be incorporating both Hamon and Stand abilities. I can guess that he'll have a Hamon counter using purple hermit similar to the one he used on Dio. If he plays anything like his previous incarnation in Jojo's venture he'll be a good middle ground between Kakyoin and Young Joseph, good reach and grabs and good close range.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

onepixeljumpman posted:

I'm interested in Old Joseph. Lisa Lisa will probably end up like Fugo and have maybe one notable trait, but otherwise play very basically. Also, that thing under Lisa Lisa in the lower right corner mentions Anasui, Vanilla Ice, and Baoh.

As I've mentioned in the Games thread, Annasui and Vanilla Ice are in the 4th Campaign, and Baoh'll be in the 5th one.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
4's my pick for similar reasons, but I like Steel Ball Run almost as much to the point where the difference is negligible.

I like Diamond is Unbreakable as much as I do because I think JoJo's does best when used as a setting rather than for a plot. A lot of JoJo's parts can be described in one sentence, and Part 4's would be, "Man, this town is loving weird." It really helped flesh out the world of stands despite taking place in a single town and really gave a sense that there's this interesting world literally all around you. I like Part 4 in a way that kinda reminds me of Mushishi, though the tone is way different, because it had a similar idea of, "Let's stop for a bit look at this weird thing in the world." Also, Josuke and Okuyasu are loving awesome alone ("How did you know it was me?" "Oh, I was gonna hit you both. I'm not that smart, you see.") and even better together ("See, Fatty. You got greedy, and now you've got two angry drunks that want to kick your rear end.")

Steel Ball Run had a lot of really great moments like that, and Araki blending the weird world with good plot progression and good characters make it easily the strongest JoJo storywise, at least so far. It looks good, it progresses good, and the weird world elements are also good. One of my favorites arcs is "The True Man's World" because it brings together everything you could want. Powers that make you go, "That sounds dumb, but man was it cool in use," a strange environment that makes you feel like you've stumbled into that interesting world, Gyro being Gyro, and a fight that relies on outwitting your opponent through manipulation of his powers and habits as well as how he'll read what you do. Also, Johnny and Gyro's random conversations on the trail are great. I think Cheese Song and Johnny's secret fetish for swollen skin are some of the more notable moments in the manga.

It's just that, given the choice, I'd pick explore the weird world over a distinct plot, so I'd pick Diamond first if I
absolutely had to. You don't. Read both.

LightningKimba posted:

As I've mentioned in the Games thread, Annasui and Vanilla Ice are in the 4th Campaign, and Baoh'll be in the 5th one.

That's what I figured. Didn't know you'd mentioned it before.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

National Treasure's on TV, and I'd completely forgotten that the treasure was under Trinity Church. That takes on a completely different meaning after finishing Steel Ball Run. Nicholas Cage was after the corpse the whole time!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Y'know, Part 7's Blackmore/Catch the Rainbow seems like something that would be neat as hell to expand on. Rain control is cool and all, but limited to when it's raining. But what happens when he realizes that he basically controls the moisture in the atmosphere?

KILLER RAIN ANYTIME

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

National Treasure's on TV, and I'd completely forgotten that the treasure was under Trinity Church. That takes on a completely different meaning after finishing Steel Ball Run. Nicholas Cage was after the corpse the whole time!

You have now put the idea of Nick Cage running through the streets of a city yelling "I'M A STAND USER! I'M A STAND USER!" into my head.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wasn't SBR in general just a cross-country National Treasure, though?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Part 7's definitely my favorite, followed closely by Part 3 and 4. Part 7's got pretty much everything going for it. The major duo of Johnny and Gyro is really great, they both feel like the other is necessary for them to develop and in general compliment each other perfectly. It's got fantastic stands too, like Tusk and Scary Monsters have to be among my favorites. The fights are very well thought out and don't have that problem of "Araki's written himself into a corner, how's he gonna bullshit his way out of it?" They flow very organically and have some great conclusions that require the characters to actually outthink their opponents. It also goes back into the Adventure style of storytelling, you get a really grand scope of the Steel Ball Run and the places they go through and just how big this race actually is. It's the first time since Part 3 that the Adventure part has been so prevalent.

Part 3 and 4 are really close to Part 7 for me, like REALLY close. Part 3 on top of starting with the stands idea, I feel is generally a great show of what attracts people to the series. The stands are very simple, but Araki manages to use them in effective ways and make twists on them too. Jotaro I also feel is a really strong protagonist, it's not as obvious as to why he's great as it is with Joseph, since Jotaro is more reserved, but he's got those moments. The opening scene with him in the cell is fantastic, like all of it, just the shot of him with all of those things in his cell and him keeping himself inside because he doesn't understand his stand is great. He's also a lot like Joseph in his character defining moments, but the main difference is his moments are more reactionary than Joseph's which are flair, he even gets better in the later parts too. The group is also at its best here, like Jotaro, Joseph, Kakyoin, Polnareff, Avdol and Iggy all get their moments to shine and moments to be pals with one another in hilarious ways. The latter half of Stardust Crusaders with the Egyptian Gods and the final battle with Dio are really where it hits its stride and becomes something truly amazing. If I have to say Part 3 has any problems it's that the Monster of the Week format gets old really quickly since a lot of early fights are pretty lackluster and Jotaro sort of pulls his trump card out of his rear end.

Part 4 is especially great too, it doesn't have that fantastic group like Part 3 or the sprawling adventure of Part 7, but what it does have is a really unique main character with a great stand. Josuke and Okuyasu are a hilarious and genuinely great two man team and they are part of what makes Part 4 so great especially in the Italian Food and Harvest sections. Yoshikage Kira is an incredible villain too, being more businessman weirdo than psychopathic serial killer. Unfortunately Kira sort of becomes generic smug JJBA villain after he gets Bites the Dust, but it's the end of the story so I don't hold it against it too much. Araki does a really good job of making it feel like ANYTHING can happen, hell the villain almost gets killed by a cat and a fight takes place in a radio tower, it's fantastic. On top of this, while you aren't given the scope of Part 7, Part 4 does a good job of showing you how many wonders fill Morioh and the people in it. The stands really hit that point of unique and crazy in this part though, especially with Josuke weaponizing healing. A drawback of Part 4 though is it sort of doesn't have a great amount of focus until Reimi enters the picture and for the most part it has a bloated cast of characters that aren't very fantastic except for Josuke, Okuyasu, Jotaro and Yuuya.

...JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is a really cool series.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

onepixeljumpman posted:

You have now put the idea of Nick Cage running through the streets of a city yelling "I'M A STAND USER! I'M A STAND USER!" into my head.

Nicholas Cage as Nukesaku's voice actor in part 3 would be something.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Nic Cage as Joseph, Shia LeBouef as Jotaro. loving Hollywood, man.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

A drawback of Part 4 though is it sort of doesn't have a great amount of focus until Reimi enters the picture and for the most part it has a bloated cast of characters that aren't very fantastic except for Josuke, Okuyasu, Jotaro and Yuuya.

I was going to add something like this as well, maybe not as harsh as this sounds taken out of context though. As much as I love Part 4 for being a collection of weird little stories, as a story arc it suffers from being mostly just a bunch of unconnected weird little stories. That said...

quote:

...JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is a really cool series.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Really, Part 4 being a picaresque manga until the kira stuff really kicks off isn't a weakness in my book.

Edit: Part 9 should just be delinquent use of stands with no storyline connecting each event. Just maximum goofin off with the power of your will.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 20, 2013

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
It's kind of funny when you think about it, but a lot of the Jojo's aren't really the "leaders" of their respective arcs. Joseph was leading the expedition to Egypt, Jotaro was the one trying to track down Kira, Bruno was the gang leader, Johnny and Gyro were just two best buds competing in a race (and trying to collect Jesus parts...and trying to kill the president of America).

Just one of the things I noticed recently.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yo dogs, Araki has a spinoff manga coming up pretty soon (October 12th) for Weekly Jump and it is based around our favorite manga author, Rohan Kishibe. It's sure to be something alright.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 20, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
All the other Rohan spinoffs are loving great, so this one should be too.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Part 4 is a slice of life manga with weird powers. That's what makes it excellent.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
More JoJo news for our very big week of surprisingly big news, the NA version is just going to be Japanese audio with English subtitles.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/81199/jojos-bizarre-adventure-all-star-battle-coming-to-ps3-in

RIP Me and Onepixeljumpman

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Is there a reason that there seems to be conflicting information about when this game is due out? I've seen 2013 and 2014 being offered as dates. Is 2014 the more accepted date?

Because let's be honest, it'll be sitting next to my import copy when it comes out.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The idea is that the US is supposed to be getting it later this year and Europe in 2014, which makes sense since it's just a budget release, but who honestly knows for sure? There might be a trailer for the English version after TGS which will give us a definitive date, most likely.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Kabanaw posted:

Part 4 is a slice of life manga with weird powers. That's what makes it excellent.
A lot of people compare Part 4 to Twin Peaks. I like to think of it as more as "Eerie, Indiana" (in any arcs that don't involve Kira anyway)

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 20, 2013

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
It's pre-Stands but I think part 2 is kind of underrated. When people talk about their favorite Jojo moments, the chariot race with Wham is at the very top of mine. You have a steroids guy who can punch sunbeams fighting an ancient Aztec proto-vampire named after a lovely 80s pop group in order to get an antidote from his nose ring, undead horses, a gargantuan crossbow that humans can't even cock, a stone pillar used as a weapon, improbable aiming skills, and a guy deliberately and permanently blinding himself to avoid being fooled by his eyesight. The amount of back-and-forth trickery is astonishing. One might even say... bizarre.

Also, Joseph is easily the best Jojo there is and I've never heard a rational argument to the contrary. He's such a masterful bullshitter with his obnoxious personality, combat gimmicks, "Your next line is..." It's just a shame that he's so useless in part 3; I would have loved to see him do some crazy stuff with the Ripple like he used to.

I like to show this clip to people to instantly turn them into Jojo fans.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

Wasn't SBR in general just a cross-country National Treasure, though?

Nah, SBR was a tale of two cowboys finding Jesus.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Soulcleaver posted:

It's pre-Stands but I think part 2 is kind of underrated. When people talk about their favorite Jojo moments, the chariot race with Wham is at the very top of mine. You have a steroids guy who can punch sunbeams fighting an ancient Aztec proto-vampire named after a lovely 80s pop group in order to get an antidote from his nose ring, undead horses, a gargantuan crossbow that humans can't even cock, a stone pillar used as a weapon, improbable aiming skills, and a guy deliberately and permanently blinding himself to avoid being fooled by his eyesight. The amount of back-and-forth trickery is astonishing. One might even say... bizarre.

Also, Joseph is easily the best Jojo there is and I've never heard a rational argument to the contrary. He's such a masterful bullshitter with his obnoxious personality, combat gimmicks, "Your next line is..." It's just a shame that he's so useless in part 3; I would have loved to see him do some crazy stuff with the Ripple like he used to.

I like to show this clip to people to instantly turn them into Jojo fans.

I definitely agree that Joseph is one of the best Jojos, he's really fun and I loved all the psychological poo poo in Part 2. Jotaro and Jolyne definitely both have their place though and I'd be hard pressed to order that Top 3. :shobon:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Aurora posted:

I definitely agree that Joseph is one of the best Jojos, he's really fun and I loved all the psychological poo poo in Part 2. Jotaro and Jolyne definitely both have their place though and I'd be hard pressed to order that Top 3. :shobon:

Jolyne is really a top tier Jojo but shes hamstrung a bit by her circumstances, Part 6 is where stand abilities really went off the wall and left a bad taste in some peoples mouths.

I wish they were all as good as Underground though, trapping people in the catastrophes of the past is a really awesome idea.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Part 6 gave us Bohemian Rhapsody though, so all is forgiven.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Soulcleaver posted:

Yeah, but if he was anywhere near as awesome as he was in part 2, he would have completely overshadowed Jotaro.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Part 6 gave us Bohemian Rhapsody though, so all is forgiven.

Is it bad if I thought Bohemian Rhapsody was significantly too far out there? I can accept 'rods' or whatever being a real phenomenon (if stands and super vampires are real, then so are those things) but Bohemian Rhapsody felt way too wacky-illogical-pulled-out-the-rear end for me.

Then again, it gave us the part with Disney Land being bullshit and the throwaway line to Ken vs. Raoh in the middle of Tokyo

Ashamed of Traps
Aug 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

LvK posted:

Is it bad if I thought Bohemian Rhapsody was significantly too far out there? I can accept 'rods' or whatever being a real phenomenon (if stands and super vampires are real, then so are those things) but Bohemian Rhapsody felt way too wacky-illogical-pulled-out-the-rear end for me.

Then again, it gave us the part with Disney Land being bullshit and the throwaway line to Ken vs. Raoh in the middle of Tokyo

I thought rods and Bohemian Rhapsody were both sort of bogus, but at least it was fun instead of...whatever the Sky High volume was.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
The Sky High chapter kinda sucked, but I at least liked the idea of a bunch of super-light, super-fast little things that fed on body heat. Definitely could have been more done with it conceptually.

Plus I like that song.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Honestly I liked Sky High the best. The dude had a character arc.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

HitTheTargets posted:

Honestly I liked Sky High the best. The dude had a character arc.

I agree I really liked the Sky High fight.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

So, JoJoveller shipped the other day. One of the things it comes with is names for some previously unnamed stands, and a few have cropped up in the Tumblr circuit.

Green Baby's Stand

Pocoloco's Stand

Boom Boom Family Stand

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

onepixeljumpman posted:

So, JoJoveller shipped the other day. One of the things it comes with is names for some previously unnamed stands, and a few have cropped up in the Tumblr circuit.

Green Baby's Stand

Pocoloco's Stand

Boom Boom Family Stand

Tom Jones and Outkast, I love it!

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Pocoloco's horse's name was also Hey Ya!, so I wonder if the horse is supposed to be some kind of extension of the stand or vice versa, or if it's just Araki forgetting that he already used the name. Or maybe Pocoloco's just supposed to be terribly uncreative.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So I've started reading part 3 a little while after finishing the fantastic anime, and I'm enjoying it well enough. I've gotten to the point where the group is now in Egypt and I really have to ask, why is Jotaro seen as so great? I can't even call him the main character of his own part since he's not the one pushing the plot forward (that'd be Joseph) doesn't hog all the fights (which isn't a bad thing) and barely speaks (that's mostly Polnareff's job). Overall it's probably better than part 2 on a technical standpoint, but I really loved Joseph, Caesar, and Lisa Lisa, and I'm not really sure I can ever like anyone more than them.

Since my friend got me to read this, he's been pushing for me to skip part 5 once I get to it. Is this a good idea? Parts 1-3 don't seem connected to the point that you have to read them in order, so I could always just read part 5 later. I've seen some great things from the next few parts, and just want to get to Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Did Oyecomova's stand get a name?

I have to know because that was a kickin' rad stand.

• Locked thread