Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It's baffling that even the execs doubt Saitama.

It makes okay sense for the general populace, I suppose, but the people at the top have way more knowledge of what he's been doing. How could they buy him cheating on the physical exams? Or just brush off him splattering Sea King over a city block?

Not that it bothers me a whole lot or anything; it's actually amusing. I assume it will just get worse with time.

The manga seems to be pushing the idea that the Heroes Association is basically corrupt as gently caress, with a greater emphasis on its public face than what it actually accomplishes. The heroes within it as well as the actual heroes are self-centered dicks who seek to further their own agenda, with good seeds like Licenseless Rider, Genos, and Saitama being the minority. With Saitama basically being a goddamn nobody despite his overwhelming ability they have no reason to give a poo poo about him because he lacks political appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Liar posted:

The manga seems to be pushing the idea that the Heroes Association is basically corrupt as gently caress, with a greater emphasis on its public face than what it actually accomplishes. The heroes within it as well as the actual heroes are self-centered dicks who seek to further their own agenda, with good seeds like Licenseless Rider, Genos, and Saitama being the minority. With Saitama basically being a goddamn nobody despite his overwhelming ability they have no reason to give a poo poo about him because he lacks political appeal.

Or Saitama just always gets the short end of the stick.

Carnival47
Jul 21, 2004
People tend to react very badly when they are confronted with an irrational event such as the idea that Saitama can gain godlike powers through 100 pushups, situps and squats.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Every now and then I think "I wonder if we'll ever learn anything about Genos or his background" before remembering he had a massive wall of text back story I didn't read.

Always makes me laugh.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Carnival47 posted:

People tend to react very badly when they are confronted with an irrational event such as the idea that Saitama can gain godlike powers through 100 pushups, situps and squats.

Aside from a psychic chick and a mech/cyborg or two every hero in the Heroes Association is apparently super powerful just through exercise or martial arts training so it's not THAT strange for the people in this world.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Prison Warden posted:

Aside from a psychic chick and a mech/cyborg or two every hero in the Heroes Association is apparently super powerful just through exercise or martial arts training so it's not THAT strange for the people in this world.

Not to mention the occasional five-thousand foot tall Piccolo looking demon thing smashing a city, or a big crab guy with drawn on nipples.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Even if it were true I don't think anyone else besides Genos knows how he gained his strength. They seem more put off by how unassuming his personality is, the fact that he isn't pushing for more and grandstanding and the fact that no-one else knows who he is. Everyone's just going along on a "that guy?" frame of mind because of some variation of the bystander effect along with the fact that the tests showed him doing things so far beyond what even the other heroes are capable of that they for some reason just assumed it couldn't be true and figured he just stole all the stopwatches and messed with them, or bribed people. Cause I mean, our greatest hero can't be...that guy. Can it?

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 20, 2013

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I always enjoy how angry and defensive Genos gets whenever someone disparages Saitama. Obviously we know how insanely strong he is but other then Genos and maybe Licenseless Rider most everyone thinks its some long con to trick people into believing Saitama is a godlike hero.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Honestly? Even if he faked all of his results, he does it convincingly enough that it would be a superpower in and of itself.

Then again, this is a comedy series, so we're probably all thinking about it too hard. Saitama is looked down upon because he's a bald guy in a jumpsuit and cape in a world of badass cyborgs and psychic demigods. Actual fighting ability and heroism is second compared to how good you are at Being Impressive.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow0 posted:

Isn't that basically Kamen Rider (except the other way around)?

Actually, Licenseless Rider's Japanese name is Namen Rider.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
I'm just waiting for his hero name to be something like, "Caped Cheater".

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
How can you fake lifting several tons, or jumping through the ceiling?

How could you fake this?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

Some people can be very pig headed and rather stick their head in the sand and make up a thousand flimsy arguments than admit that they're wrong.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Say Nothing posted:

How could you fake this?

Misdirection. Fake weights. Prepared damage floor with tear away coverings. Rope tricks.

A decent magician could probably fake all of that with sufficient preparation.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's easier to believe that someone you hear a lot of shady things about is a charlatan than it is to believe that some class C schlub is actually that strong (or that somebody that strong was placed in class C).

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Soylentbits posted:

Misdirection. Fake weights. Prepared damage floor with tear away coverings. Rope tricks.

Looks like Mr Satan is in the Hero Association committee.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Say Nothing posted:

How could you fake this?

Tactile telekinesis.

No, wait, he used genjutsu

trucutru fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 20, 2013

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Soylentbits posted:

But... wouldn't being able to pull that off, fool everyone that well... make him A or B class anyway?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Blinks77 posted:

But... wouldn't being able to pull that off, fool everyone that well... make him A or B class anyway?

Yeah, but his written test was bad and that's important.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Yeah, but his written test was bad and that's important.

How could Saitama have failed the written test so miserably? Did he accidentally mark every answer off by one or what?

zerosix
Jun 22, 2012

international owl day posted:

How could Saitama have failed the written test so miserably? Did he accidentally mark every answer off by one or what?

If Saitama had good grades in japan he would have a normal job by now.

On that note wouldn't he be able to get a golden job in construction or something? How come he is still unemployed?

zerosix fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 20, 2013

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Bongo Bill posted:

It's easier to believe that someone you hear a lot of shady things about is a charlatan than it is to believe that some class C schlub is actually that strong (or that somebody that strong was placed in class C).

That's going to seem like nine times as stupid when you guys catch up to the ONE version eventually, where they actually talk about the original ranking system.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

zerosix posted:

If Saitama had good grades in japan he would have a normal job by now.

On that note would this guy be able to get a golden job in construction or something? How come he is still unemployed?

Isn't Z-city or whatever like a ghost town? Maybe he can't find work.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Wasn't the written part an essay on heroism? Probably don't get high marks for Saitama's laid back reasoning.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Gyges posted:

Wasn't the written part an essay on heroism? Probably don't get high marks for Saitama's laid back reasoning.

"I can't give this high marks. He talks about punching bad guys fine, but he doesn't mention product placement once."

Genos did perfect, but he may have just written his whole backstory, and the association was like, "People are suckers for this kind of poo poo. S-rank."

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Maybe the essay was a grand exploration of the nature of heroism but was filled with spelling and punctuation errors.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

In my mind it was that the test involved questions like, "There's a hostage situation. A man is holding a gun to the head of a child. You are unarmed, with another criminal pointing a gun at you. What do you do?" and then Saitama wrote down answers like "I punch the first guy before he can pull the trigger, and then punch the second guy."

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

AnonSpore posted:

In my mind it was that the test involved questions like, "There's a hostage situation. A man is holding a gun to the head of a child. You are unarmed, with another criminal pointing a gun at you. What do you do?" and then Saitama wrote down answers like "I punch the first guy before he can pull the trigger, and then punch the second guy."

Or, Question: A group of citizens blame you for collateral damage, how do you best resolve the situation?
Saitama's Answer: Tell them you don't give a poo poo if they like you.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
The city is under attack by UFOs, what is your first course of action?

Protect the supermarket because there is a sale on beef tomorrow.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Nahxela posted:

The city is under attack by UFOs, what is your first course of action?

Protect the supermarket because there is a sale on beef tomorrow.

Someday there will come a scene where Saitama lays eyes on a severely discounted fish, only for some unfortunate evil monster to step on the store. Then we will finally see Saitama fully unleashed and it will be loving epic.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

pentyne posted:

I always enjoy how angry and defensive Genos gets whenever someone disparages Saitama. Obviously we know how insanely strong he is but other then Genos and maybe Licenseless Rider most everyone thinks its some long con to trick people into believing Saitama is a godlike hero.

The one old guy hero I forget the name of who personally witnessed him smash the gently caress out of the giant meteor with one punch is also aware of Saitama's power.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Shugojin posted:

The one old guy hero I forget the name of who personally witnessed him smash the gently caress out of the giant meteor with one punch is also aware of Saitama's power.

Bang.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Shugojin posted:

Plus wasn't Metal Knight's robot standing there? He must have witnessed Saitama too.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Liar posted:

Plus wasn't Metal Knight's robot standing there? He must have witnessed Saitama too.

He probably believes that he and Genos (mostly him) weakened the meteor enough for any C-List scrub to punch it to pieces.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Except there's also the massive jump Saitama made to punch it.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

RatHat posted:

Except there's also the massive jump Saitama made to punch it.

Yeah, him pushing the building hallway into the ground by jumping off it is impressive enough.

Did the Metal knight drone stick around? I mean, I know that he didn't care if it was destroyed, but it'd probably be prudent to attempt escape anyway, even just to save the hardware cost.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Even if he did notice, Metal Knight isn't the type to admire Saitama because of it, nor stand up for him, so it's a moot point.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

AnonSpore posted:

Even if he did notice, Metal Knight isn't the type to admire Saitama because of it, nor stand up for him, so it's a moot point.

We don't know that he's not the sort to want to exploit such things though. Certainly a man obsessed with building a bigger, better robot would want to know that it can withstand a C-list superhero.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Prison Warden posted:

Did the Metal knight drone stick around? I mean, I know that he didn't care if it was destroyed, but it'd probably be prudent to attempt escape anyway, even just to save the hardware cost.

Yeah. Pretty sure he looked at the non-destroyed meteor and went, "Well, that didn't work," and flew away, though Genos got on his case a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

HellCopter posted:

Isn't Z-city or whatever like a ghost town? Maybe he can't find work.

Alternately, he can carry anything and move super fast. He'd put construction workers out of work, and then who's the villain?