Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theAsteroidBlues
Sep 4, 2013
Buy your rock dry and seed it with a little live rock. It'll save you money and helps keep down on pests that get introduced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Definitely. My biggest regret with my current tanks are that I did not use more dry rock and less live rock. Also I am definitely going to let my rock cycle in a rubber maid container in the future, so I can quarantine it. And get a frag tank. Fighting mojanos, apitasia, bubble algae, and all the other pests sucks big time.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Thanks for advice, all. I appreciate it.

After some research I feel pretty comfortable starting with my lighting by building a dimmable 12 led unit, for basically the same cost I would've paid for T5s, and I can do another one of them in a few months when I'm ready to add more.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Man, gently caress reefcentral. They removed my FS: thread because I don't have 50 posts. 50 posts? Seems like quite a lot just to use the forums for what they're designed for.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SaNChEzZ posted:

Man, gently caress reefcentral. They removed my FS: thread because I don't have 50 posts. 50 posts? Seems like quite a lot just to use the forums for what they're designed for.

It was even more entertaining when their entire site was seemingly running on a 386 with a 14.4 modem.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
All of their mods are 53 year old ladies from Idaho with names like Nancy and Leslie.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I'm just glad they get to enjoy 36 shitposts from user 'sanchezz' so I can put my nem up for sale again. Not in the classifieds, because they don't have those. :fuckoff:

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
edit: nevermind!

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 21, 2013

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

SaNChEzZ posted:

I'm just glad they get to enjoy 36 shitposts from user 'sanchezz' so I can put my nem up for sale again. Not in the classifieds, because they don't have those. :fuckoff:

So.... How much you looking for?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Henchman 21 posted:

So.... How much you looking for?

Whatever I sold the last one to API for, for a goon. I've got a guy thaats supposedly going to pick it up tomorrow though.

Also, ota in a Tupperware in the tank and somehow it managed to Houdini out of a hole in the Tupperware that's approximately smaller than a dime. Wtf, this thing is baseball sized when closed.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Sold it locally. Next time though!

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I am thinking of getting into the saltwater game. What is the general opinion of the new Biocube tanks? I was going to use a 20 long or a 29 that I have lying around but I can get a really good deal on a 29 cube at my local mom and pop pet shop. I am planning on keeping it a Fowlr tank. Would I need to do any mods to it? Or is everything that comes with the tank of decent quality?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I have one of the new Coralife 29s, and it's been up as a reef tank for about a year now, so I'll chime in.

For what it is, it's pretty decent. Don't trick yourself into thinking it's going to replace a 29g with a real sump, because it's not. The stock return pump makes a lot of heat, died within a year despite routine cleaning, and is kinda low-flow for the amount of heat it puts out. The stock bio-pellet setup is a nitrate trap, and gets thrown away almost instantly. The Coralife-branded skimmer is junk, skip it. The add-on LED bars are a joke, because the add-ons are like $40 a piece, for 3 very-low-power LEDs but that is an option if you aren't attracted to the different complete-replacement LED light kits out there. (My next big upgrade.)

Did I mention heat? Holy gently caress. I'm running the stock PC lighting, a maxijet 1200 return pump, a Koralia nano powerhead, and a maxijet 400 driving the skimmer, in an air conditioned room @77F, and closing the hood access doors takes the water temp above 85F almost immediately. With the rear access and front feeding door open 24/7, it hovers just under 80F, with the (not-included) heater kicking in when the lights are out. Evaporative cooling is your friend.

That said, it is awesome, for an all-in-one. I've added significantly to mine over time, including replacing the return pump with something not-Chinese-junk (Maxijet 1200,) a Tunze skimmer and auto-topoff (the auto topoff is MANDATORY, IMO) I have the pump coming for my carbon/phosban reactor, and I'm in the process of fabricating an algae scrubber, all with no external sump. (The reactor will live in the stand, but it will be powerhead-driven, not overflow or siphon-fed.)

If you're in an apartment, or move a lot, it's a great choice, and the stock lighting has even proven capable of growing the lower-end SPS. (Pocillopora and Montipora in my tank.)

Bonus hitchhiking pistol shrimp content:

(He went back in, was just checking if he was a mantis or not.)

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Ive heard the heat issue is a lot better on the new biocubes. I dont have the means to drill for a sump so if I just go with a tank ill probably just use quite a but of rock, 2 powerheads and i have an ac70 I can throw on it as well for a small refugium or fill with crushed rock or something. Im just wanting to do a lightly stocked fowler tank so I wont need any special lighting.

If what I just said is asinine or doesn't sound like a good plan please let me know, I've never done this and I'm learning on my own.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

What kind of fish are you planning for a 29g FOWLR?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Whale Cancer posted:

Ive heard the heat issue is a lot better on the new biocubes. I dont have the means to drill for a sump so if I just go with a tank ill probably just use quite a but of rock, 2 powerheads and i have an ac70 I can throw on it as well for a small refugium or fill with crushed rock or something. Im just wanting to do a lightly stocked fowler tank so I wont need any special lighting.

If what I just said is asinine or doesn't sound like a good plan please let me know, I've never done this and I'm learning on my own.

My cube IS one of the newer ones, so you can take that heat issue to the bank. It would be less of a problem in a place where I could actually open the windows, but this is south Florida. :smith:

I don't know that I've ever seen one set up as FOWLR, but it should be pretty simple, just keep up with water changes, and set the middle chamber in the back up as a refugium. Fish are significantly more tolerant than corals. (In general)

Also, keep in mind that your return pump counts as a de facto powerhead. (The discharge has a point able duckbill on it) If I were fish only, I probably wouldn't even bother with supplementary flow. An ATO would be a better investment.

Lighting will be totally overkill, but will show the fishes' colors off REALLY well.

Let us know what you decide on.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Wandering Orange posted:

What kind of fish are you planning for a 29g FOWLR?

There are quite a few things that interest me. I may end up going with a smaller tank and get a mantis.

If I use a 29 or a 40 breeder I have laying around though I'd like to get a watchman goby/pistol shrimp combo and maybe some fancy clowns. I've always really enjoyed watching crabs and shrimp work the rockwork in saltwater tanks. I really need to research more nanosize fish. I'm a big puffer fan but there aren't any puffers that small, and most of the time puffers will snack on the cleanup crew. The only puffer I can think of that would fit in a 40 would be a valentini or a GSP.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I know this is a link to an external forum, but the article author requests it.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/74703-lgreens-ultimate-guide-to-nano-fish/

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
How well do you know your local LFS and how set are you on keeping permanent residents in your tank? I know some people that continually buy baby fish of species that will outgrow their tank, grow them out, trade them to the LFS for more fish/whatever. You're taking a risk in assuming the LFS will want your fish, but if you talk to them and know that there's always a demand for a certain fish you like, it might widen your possibilities.

Also, you are right: puffers are awesome. :derp:

Warsteiner
Jan 14, 2006

Last night I discovered two bristle worms in my nano and who knows how many there really are.
I read up on them as best I could and I feel pretty grateful to have them. They are a good part of a clean up crew and the population can be controlled by it's environment, like lack off food and I love that they are there after some education.
BUT..
They hypnotize me by their sheer creepiness. I get the shivers just thinking about them.

Do bristle worms grow on people over time or what? Blehg.
Has anyone here ever been poked by one?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Warsteiner posted:

Last night I discovered two bristle worms in my nano and who knows how many there really are.
I read up on them as best I could and I feel pretty grateful to have them. They are a good part of a clean up crew and the population can be controlled by it's environment, like lack off food and I love that they are there after some education.
BUT..
They hypnotize me by their sheer creepiness. I get the shivers just thinking about them.

I think fire worms are the ones you are to worry about, which aren't common in home aquarium settings. Regular bristleworms are neat though :)

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Warsteiner posted:

BUT..

I find them interesting to watch, and I've had quite a few very large ones in my tank. And yeah, I've grabbed a handful of bristle worm numerous times while working in the tank. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it's worth wearing gloves to avoid. Once the bristles are well and truly in your skin, you're basically down to waiting for them to work themselves out. Ouch.

I also had a Eunicid worm for a while. That was a real treat. No danger to me (though I imagine it could lay a hell of a bite on you if so inclined), but it probably killed twenty or thirty assorted snails and crabs.

Castaign fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 26, 2013

Warsteiner
Jan 14, 2006

Definitely not fire worms!

I think the worms are cute in a godawful way. It is a neat addition to the family.
I'll keep my eye on them and pray that they don't magically get out of the aquarium and crawl on my face while I sleep.

Maybe this is stupid and immature but I want to touch them like a kid wants to lick a 9 volt battery.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Touch one. They aren't much worse than licking a 9V.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I've caught a bristleworm chowing down on zoanthids before. All is not always happy sunshine in creepy alien worm land.

Anhedonia
Jan 2, 2006

If you are reading this, the 9/11 club is not keeping my half-french ass down enough. Also I forgot my crazy pills...AGAIN!
Welp, found out why some of my fish have been disappearing. I have a mantis shrimp in my tank. Must have come with one of the corals. How do I trap this thing before it murders again? LFS said use a water bottle on a string full of holes, if I see him go in it pull it up and cap it but it seems like it probably won't work. Any advice? Bastard is clicking now. Laughing at me.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Anhedonia posted:

Welp, found out why some of my fish have been disappearing. I have a mantis shrimp in my tank. Must have come with one of the corals. How do I trap this thing before it murders again? LFS said use a water bottle on a string full of holes, if I see him go in it pull it up and cap it but it seems like it probably won't work. Any advice? Bastard is clicking now. Laughing at me.

There's plenty of commercially available mantis traps on the market for relatively low cost (though I can't speak to their effectiveness). Here's a good thread on RC about mantis capture: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1710644

Have you lost a lot of your clean up crew as well? My understanding is that most mantis shrimp will prey predominantly on snails and crabs.

Also, are you sure it's a mantis? Have you seen it? I know from your post history that as of late April you had a sailfin goby (presumably paired with a pistol shrimp). The clicking you hear could just as easily be the pistol shrimp.

Anhedonia
Jan 2, 2006

If you are reading this, the 9/11 club is not keeping my half-french ass down enough. Also I forgot my crazy pills...AGAIN!
I did get him on video, the people at my LFS seem quite sure he's a mantis, though he's only about two inches long right now. I had a goby who disappeared but I think the mantis shrimp may have been after him. I have three candycane shrimp, a sea hare nudibranch, two fire fish and a file fish that have all disappeared in the past 3 months or so. I still see some hermit crabs and snails around but I'm never really sure if the number is decreasing.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Wanna youtube that video so we can see? (I'm thinking: a small G. ternatensis (smasher) ... they're typically aggressive enough to go after both snails/crabs and fish in a tank and those are very commonly available in the trade as hitchhikers.)

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
The truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
I had a mantis hitchhiker a few months ago. Over two years, he killed countless snails, crabs and possibly my peppermint shrimp and tailspot blenny. I blocked his live rock hidey-hole with putty in the hopes of trapping him in there until he starved to death. The bloody sod only went and bashed a new hole in the rock two days later. I blocked the new opening with putty, and then pulled out the entire rock. Using a chisel, I broke it apart and saved him. Ended up giving him to a local reefer. Here's a crappy camera phone video of the little Robocop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpBj3xwBCg4

You can try this website for identifying your mantis. Apparently there's ~40 species commonly found as hitchhikers in the aquarium trade! http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/index.html#directory

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Reefapalooza was pretty awesome. Picked up like 10 pretty nice frags, 2 pieces of Vidarock and a small frag rack. I feel like home propagation must have really taken off because there were a lot of pretty nice, bright frags for great prices. Scolys and acans are still overpriced but there were tons of nice Zoas and sps frags for like $10-$20. Someone had gorgeous RBTAs similar to Sanchezs for $50 for a small size. I would have totally picked it up if I didn't already have a not as nice one dominating a key piece of real estate in my tank.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

This is what happens if you let a M. spongodes grow all the way to the surface.

Bonus--spongodes colony also growing straight into another monti colony.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

That's awesome, in a couple months here I'll be running the 'what happens when a Monti grows all the way to the surface' experiment. It already sticks out when the pumps are off.

Surprise, low tide!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I've probably linked this thread in here before but this is possibly the best thread on reefcentral and goes to show you just how hardy coral can be in their natural environment wrt low tide and exposure.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

api call girl posted:

I've probably linked this thread in here before but this is possibly the best thread on reefcentral and goes to show you just how hardy coral can be in their natural environment wrt low tide and exposure.

That's absolutely crazy, and I want to go there with many buckets.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

api call girl posted:

This is absolutely amazing. Definitely the best thread on Reef Central (and I say that as someone who actually likes RC).

Thanks for the link api call girl!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ugh, I'm kinda at a stalling point since my effort is low as it is but... lighting opinion needed. I'd like to go as cheaply as possible while still being decent - I've got a 20L to light.

1. Reefbreeders Value LED w/ 120* Optics - $180
2. ReefRadiance DM-132e - $159
3. 2x PAR38 w/ 80* Optics - $160
4. DIY LED w/ 18 Crees - ~$180
5. 4x T5HO - $???

Obviously, Reef Central recommends the T5HO setup since they are old, crusty motherfuckers who are behind the times. Ruling that out, unless I can be swayed otherwise. That leaves me with building a fixture or just buying the ReefRadiance fixture - which I'd much rather do since it'd probably end up cheaper in reality and save me a lot of heartache. Looking for an opinion on the Reefbreeders and ReefRadiance fixtures, I guess. You guys think it'd work well or should I suck it up and build? Are there other options I'm overlooking? I live in Arizona and this poo poo is in my bedroom so no goddamn MH.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Oct 24, 2013

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
For a 20g tank the ReefRadiance will be more than enough--you will certainly find that you need dim the lights down a fair amount. Two mechanical timers and that thing and you'll still be running below the Reefbreeders version.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

FWIW I built an array for the 12long I have ( same dimensions as a 20) for almost nothing. 16 Crees and optics, a dimmable driver (all from aquastyleonline.com) and a 2x25" heatsink from heatsinkusa.com. All in it was less than $100 if I remember right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013

BlackMK4 posted:

Ugh, I'm kinda at a stalling point since my effort is low as it is but... lighting opinion needed. I'd like to go as cheaply as possible while still being decent - I've got a 20L to light.

1. Reefbreeders Value LED w/ 120* Optics - $180
2. ReefRadiance DM-132e - $159
3. 2x PAR38 w/ 80* Optics - $160
4. DIY LED w/ 18 Crees - ~$180
5. 4x T5HO - $???

Obviously, Reef Central recommends the T5HO setup since they are old, crusty motherfuckers who are behind the times. Ruling that out, unless I can be swayed otherwise. That leaves me with building a fixture or just buying the ReefRadiance fixture - which I'd much rather do since it'd probably end up cheaper in reality and save me a lot of heartache. Looking for an opinion on the Reefbreeders and ReefRadiance fixtures, I guess. You guys think it'd work well or should I suck it up and build? Are there other options I'm overlooking? I live in Arizona and this poo poo is in my bedroom so no goddamn MH.

Don't do the T5s, it's a trap! You have to replace the bulbs every six months; it's almost as bad a racket as printer ink.

• Locked thread