Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I thought the events of The Killing Joke did happen and she was paralysed became Oracle and then was cured and became Batgirl.

Also, maybe I missed it but where is Hal Jordan right now? I haven't seen him I know in the first couple of issues Superman was just like "Yeah you're kind of a chump" and super speed takes his ring off his hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Mind Loving Owl posted:

I really need to this, so much effort for a tie in for a mediocre fighting game. I'm guessing the super-pill is the game's explanation for why Batman can beat Superman in a fair fight?

Exactly. Which was nice because "How can _____ fight _____?" is something the internet wouldn't shut up about when the game was announced. It was a better thought out plot device than THE RAGE in MK vs. DCU.

quote:

Also didn't they fix Barbara's spine in the reboot? Something about South African surgery?

Yeah. Rather than simply retcon it away, they kept it in there just so she could be scared of guns and stuff.

Hollis posted:

Also, maybe I missed it but where is Hal Jordan right now? I haven't seen him I know in the first couple of issues Superman was just like "Yeah you're kind of a chump" and super speed takes his ring off his hand.

Hal has gotten very little panel time, but he's on Superman's side and has helped him punk Atlantis and rescue Luthor that one time. I'm sure he'll be a focal point in Year Two, since they've yet to do anything about him discarding the Green Lantern ring and joining the Sinestro Corps.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
1001 Emerald Nights was interesting. I loved the way it looked, but the writing was middling (sometimes good, sometimes trying too hard to fit Green Lantern type dialogue into the setting). The end got silly, but it was fun enough.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...

Gavok posted:

Yeah. Rather than simply retcon it away, they kept it in there just so she could be scared of guns and stuff.

Ah yes, DC needed to have a stupid reason for Barbara to fear them because as we all know, most people are fearless fools when a gun is pointed at them. And being an associate of Batman she would have no distaste for guns otherwise. Truly the New DCU is the most well thought out idea since someone suggested a elseworld where the entire premise is Britain sucks and only America deserves heroes.

catlord posted:

1001 Emerald Nights was interesting. I loved the way it looked, but the writing was middling (sometimes good, sometimes trying too hard to fit Green Lantern type dialogue into the setting). The end got silly, but it was fun enough.

Okay let me guess... Sinestro is about to be executed and he's stalling the Guardians by telling them stories!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I haven't played the game, I watched the ending of it and some of the cutscenes, but was like "Meh" although the ending was appropriate. I'm more interested in what led up to that point. So I never knew that stuff about Gordon.

I'll go ahead and say that Batman : Red Rain is a really good horror book with I think because it's an art style I enjoy. Super great art. It's basically Batman becomes a vampire.

What were those Elseworlds where it was just normal everyday people embodying Superman. I can't recall it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Hollis posted:

What were those Elseworlds where it was just normal everyday people embodying Superman. I can't recall it.

That Realworlds thing they did? I think they had a whole line of them, or at least like, five.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I wrote a lengthy look back at Year One of the Injustice comic for Den of Geek US. Basically what worked and what didn't. Also a panel that shows why Alfred beating down Superman is the best payoff.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Hollis posted:

I haven't played the game, I watched the ending of it and some of the cutscenes, but was like "Meh" although the ending was appropriate. I'm more interested in what led up to that point. So I never knew that stuff about Gordon.

I'll go ahead and say that Batman : Red Rain is a really good horror book with I think because it's an art style I enjoy. Super great art. It's basically Batman becomes a vampire.

Red Rain was great and really showed off Kelly Jones artwork. Jones had a Batman run in the 90's (written by Moench) which is one of my favourite Batman runs. His style leads to more expressionist horror style and I remember people not being a big fan of it (why is Batman's cape so big and what's with the extra long pointy ears) but I personally love the style. His artwork for Red Rain really suited the whole "gothicness" of Dracula and Batman and was a great mix. Sadly I can't really remember much of the sequels so I can't say if they were good or not.
There was one other Elseworld Jones did with Moench called Joker: The Wild and I have been trying to get my hands on it but sadly it is out of print. I read it a long long long time ago and I think it had something to do with Batman living in an age of fairies and dark magic.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Technically the name is Batman/Dark Joker: The Wild, which is an astoundingly bad name so it's no wonder you forgot it. I remember it being okay, better than the elseworld where the kids are sucked into JLA Fantasy Land, not as good as Riddle of The Beast. But to be fair, Riddle of The Beast is really, really fun.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second
Does anyone remember an Elseworlds where a mentally slow kid who loves Batman dresses up as him to fight his sister's drug dealer boyfriend? It might've been part of that Realworlds thing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Gavok posted:

I wrote a lengthy look back at Year One of the Injustice comic for Den of Geek US. Basically what worked and what didn't. Also a panel that shows why Alfred beating down Superman is the best payoff.

I read the whole article and really enjoyed it but can't understand why you didn't put that one image of Alfred headbutting Superman as the single reason to read the whole series.

Great article!! I didn't know that about the art at all. It really is completely different.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

picosecond posted:

Does anyone remember an Elseworlds where a mentally slow kid who loves Batman dresses up as him to fight his sister's drug dealer boyfriend? It might've been part of that Realworlds thing.

I liked the Superman Realworlds issue which was basically the life story of a guy who unwillingly gets a full sized S shield across his chest.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Hollis posted:

I read the whole article and really enjoyed it but can't understand why you didn't put that one image of Alfred headbutting Superman as the single reason to read the whole series.

Great article!! I didn't know that about the art at all. It really is completely different.

Thanks! The headbutting sequence was too spoilery for me to mention.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
To be fair the whole series is a prequel I mean yeah it's a super awesome. Surprisingly there aren't many reviews about Injustic. It's so good, I'm sure excited about this Annual that's coming out. When is that suppose to drop?

Out of all the series I was most surprised with that one surprised me the most. I really hope they change it to a 52 week event. DC needs a good 52 week event again. I really wish there were more released weekly digitally books.

Is the REalworlds DC thing any good? I was thinking of picking it up. Also, do crossovers count as Elseworlds, cause there I believe was a unbelievably good one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman/Hellboy/Starman

Batman Hellboy Starman, written by James Robinson and art by Mike Mignola. gently caress yes.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 21, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
November, I think?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I believe most crossovers printed after the development of the Elseworlds brand were so tagged on DC's side, especially the high-concept ones like WWII-era Batman/Captain America, 1938 first-appearance Superman/War of the Worlds, and Golden Age Superman vs. original gray night-transforming Hulk.

E: well, higher concept than your average crossover, heh. Also now that I think about it, I believe the classic versions Hulk/Superman was printed by Marvel.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Sep 21, 2013

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

So I've been reading Batman/Superman Generations and I've noticed something weird. In stories set in the early days of Superman's career, if the thirties and forties, he can't fly. This is obviously Byrne paying homage to Golden Age Superman. But Superboy in the 1920's can fly.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Mind Loving Owl posted:

So I've been reading Batman/Superman Generations and I've noticed something weird. In stories set in the early days of Superman's career, if the thirties and forties, he can't fly. This is obviously Byrne paying homage to Golden Age Superman. But Superboy in the 1920's can fly.

It's because the first Superboy stories weren't published until after Superman started flying in the comics. Those stories ignored continuity and gave Superboy the same powers that Superman had in 1944, so Byrne is paying tribute to them by deliberately contradicting his own continuity in the same way.

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.

Servoret posted:

It's because the first Superboy stories weren't published until after Superman started flying in the comics. Those stories ignored continuity and gave Superboy the same powers that Superman had in 1944, so Byrne is paying tribute to them by deliberately contradicting his own continuity in the same way.

They also changed it later on, when they started using the Multiverse in the 60s, so that the Golden Age/Earth-Two Superman was never Superboy. All of the Superboy stuff was Silver Age/Earth-One Superman, who could always fly.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Anyone know of any Shazam elseworlds?

Well...

Miracleman?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The Captain Planet style Shazam from Flashpoint was a neat idea I wouldn't have minded seeing more of

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

qntm posted:

Well...

Miracleman?

Everyone should talk about Miracleman. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570786

Also anyone else think there's enough interest in Injustice and enough content for it's own thread? Gavok you'd be pretty good for the OP.

Captain Planet style Shazam was an interesting concept and a reference to the origins of Captain Marvel. The original idea was that Captain Thunder (the original name of Captain Marvel) would be a leader of your standard one super power per member team. But then they decided one person with all those powers was cooler and would attract the Superman crowd.

Mind Loving Owl fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 21, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dacap posted:

The Captain Planet style Shazam from Flashpoint was a neat idea I wouldn't have minded seeing more of

I get the feeling we'll see some sort of combo-Shazam in with the new version at some point.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I get the feeling we'll see some sort of combo-Shazam in with the new version at some point.

They all combine into one big megazord?

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.

Soonmot posted:

They all combine into one big megazord?

Come to think of it, Billy Batson technically is a teenager with "attitude."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Also anyone else think there's enough interest in Injustice and enough content for it's own thread? Gavok you'd be pretty good for the OP.

Considering the comic just "ended", probably not.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
In January, maybe.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

You know what's a What If I've always wanted to read? What If Namor Was Raised on Land. Is what any good?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

How about "What If Namor Was Comics' Joke Aquatic Character Instead of Aquaman Because Seriously, Those Goddamn Tiny Ankle Wings Are loving Absurd, Especially In Animated Form!"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

McSpanky posted:

How about "What If Namor Was Comics' Joke Aquatic Character Instead of Aquaman Because Seriously, Those Goddamn Tiny Ankle Wings Are loving Absurd, Especially In Animated Form!"

That's a pretty unrealistic premise.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Aquaman I've always wondered why he's the joke character. Guy can take superman in a fight, rules a nation of beings just as strong as him, his telepathy can work on humans, and he controls loving sharks.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Aquaman I've always wondered why he's the joke character. Guy can take superman in a fight, rules a nation of beings just as strong as him, his telepathy can work on humans, and he controls loving sharks.

It's Superfriends, it was all Superfriends.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

McSpanky posted:

Well, that and the profound incompetence and insanity displayed by all silver age DC heroes floating around as incriminating evidence.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I think it boils down to competence.

Aquaman does suffer a bit from having powers that are perceived as being weak. But what holds him back is a lot of the time (particularly in the silver age) he wasn't presented as being particularly useful.

I think if you want to make a character with "weak" powers interesting, you just make them really, really good at the things they can do.
I had this idea for a kind of Joke Elseworlds once which was Aquaman as a One Man JLA. The kind of central conceit of the story was Aquaman was the one hyper competent hero in a world full of incompetent guys. The humour would come from playing Aquaman as straight as possible, while everyone else were jokes.

Like the opening of the story would have had Aquaman saving the world from Doomsday. And I'd do it, not by having Aquaman outmuscle him. But show Aquaman decked out in a ton of hyper-tech having prepared for the battle. He'd figure out that Doomsday can evolve counters to whatever powers you use against him, so he'd try and turn that against him. He'd be wearing an Atlantian battle suit, use a sonic blunderbuss and fight a running battle, luring Doomsday down to the Marianas Trench.
All the while Aquaman would be using Posidion's trident to consistently increase the pressure on Doomsday until he's evolved an amazing defence against crushing external pressure and cold.

Then he'd beat him by teleporting him suddenly into space, which has the complete opposite problem of no external pressure. The massive change of pressure would cause Doomsday to explode and all the pieces be burnt up by the Sun.

I'd then contrast all this by scenes where Aquaman is putting together a JLA to help save the world from a new threat, and have Aquaman run into Wonder Woman who he thinks is an amazing combatant when he sees her block/deflect bullets with her bracelets. But is dismayed when he talks to her and finds out she's like a Valley girl and the block/deflect was just a fluke move on her part when she panicked.

Any way the point I'm trying to make is, the reason why Namor is beloved (aside from his arrogant personality) is whenever he shows up to do something. He does it. And he does it competently. Namor a lot of the time is written with a limited power set, but uses it well. And people respect that.

It's the same reason why Captain Cold is so beloved by comic fans. The guy is just a normal criminal with a gun that creates cold/ice weak meta human who can create cold and ice. But by making him competent enough to lead a group of super crooks, regularly pull off crimes and get away with them and to consistently challenge a guy who can run at light speed, Captain Cold has gone from a guy who SHOULD be a joke into a badass.

It's the same principle, really.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Another issue is that a lot of writers can't take advantage of his environment. The ocean is an amazingly alien place with all sorts of interesting environs and creatures, and underwater physics can be mined for neat plot ideas. And we know less about it than the surface of the moon. But a lot of writers treat it like a less varied land.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

McSpanky posted:

And the over-correction of the Superfriends version. Most revamps of Aquaman have a serious case of the trying too hards which just re-enforces the Superfriends version.

Cyclops suffers the same fate from the X-Men cartoon he's stuck in this perceptual state of rebelling and "being bad-rear end" to try to throw off the Proffers X's boring butt monkey image left over from the show.

It's the kind of thing you can only really "fix" by ignoring and not acknowledging it ever existed.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SirDan3k posted:

It's the kind of thing you can only really "fix" by ignoring and not acknowledging it ever existed.
I think I know what you mean.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

WickedHate posted:

I think I know what you mean.

The least believable Elseworld/What If? would be a world where every comic writer in existence didn't decide they'd be the one to finally address the issue of Hank hitting Jan.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

A lot of characters are ruined by writers trying to "fix" them. Aquaman would be way better if they just tried telling good stories instead of going "Naw man Superfriends had no idea what it was all about, Arthur has a hook hand and a beard! And he lives in San Diego but it's underwater now and no the loss of a major U.S city and it's population turning into fish people will have no ramifications!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mind Loving Owl posted:

A lot of characters are ruined by writers trying to "fix" them. Aquaman would be way better if they just tried telling good stories instead of going "Naw man Superfriends had no idea what it was all about, Arthur has a hook hand and a beard! And he lives in San Diego but it's underwater now and no the loss of a major U.S city and it's population turning into fish people will have no ramifications!"

That's basically why I dropped his New 52 series after the first issue.

• Locked thread