Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Great Gatsby 3D dropped down to $19.99 on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DHHWYA...SG55BM50X6T5DW&

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Nope, the problem is not the hardware.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Aatrek posted:

The pilot wasn't affected by any of the other issues with the S1 set.

I thought I remembered differently so I went and found some forum posts from around when the Star Trek: TNG Season 1 replacement discs were being sent out.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=192027&page=99 (and a couple pages before and after)

People reporting audio issues with Encounter at Farpoint - things that were not present on the 'Next Level' sampler. They fixed a lot of stuff with the replacement discs, but Season 1 still has a few audio issues here and there.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
For anybody who wanted Night Of The Living Dead (1990), it's on sale at Vudu in HDX for only $7.88 - I was only able to look at the two minute preview but the color timing looks correct.

http://www.vudu.com/movies/#!content/14626/Night-of-the-Living-Dead

It's not too surprising that Twilight Time hosed up. The old HDTV transfer also had the correct color timing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
If anyone pre-ordered the Prince of Darkness BD from Scream Factory, they're shipping now. I got mine today.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I don't know how many of you would care about this, but Blue Underground is releasing Bruno Mattei's "Rats - Night of Terror" and "Hell of the Living Dead" on Blu-Ray next year. Which has me super excited because they're both some of the best 80s Italian ripoff exploitation films out there.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Personperson14 posted:

I don't know how many of you would care about this, but Blue Underground is releasing Bruno Mattei's "Rats - Night of Terror" and "Hell of the Living Dead" on Blu-Ray next year. Which has me super excited because they're both some of the best 80s Italian ripoff exploitation films out there.

This is wonderful news! I love me some Bruno Mattei.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
What's the best way to receive notifications about new releases on Blu-Ray?

A Blu-Ray release for House II: The Second Story is coming, right? :(

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Red posted:

I check Blu-Ray.com regularly, keep an eye on the pre-orders list on the homepage. I think it auto populates from Amazon.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Red posted:

Blu-ray.com/liking the distributors you buy a lot from on Facebook to see ahead of time what they're planning. I got the Bruno Mattei stuff from Blue Undergrounds Facebook. I don't even think it's up on bluray.com yet.

E- it is I just didn't notice, but facebook is handy for following the smaller companies.

dentist toy box fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 20, 2013

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
$4.99
(you may have to look under 'more buying choices' to see the price from Amazon)

Cast Away - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WQWPJQ...S0BNWNHVNQ2ZSZ9
The Girl Next Door (2007) - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0029XFN8A...2MK1GR1K4SD0KNQ

Both include a free digital rental of the movie from Amazon VOD.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Looks like Time Bandits finally has a good transfer.

In Europe. :negative:

tickle monster
Aug 20, 2006
is in your closet

VoodooXT posted:

This is the best screenshot comparison I could find. Original US release vs. New UK release.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

tickle monster posted:

This is the best screenshot comparison I could find. Original US release vs. New UK release.

The color looks way better on the US release.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Trump posted:

The color looks way better on the US release.

I wouldn't say way better. It's a little washed out, and the UK release is a little too dark for my tastes, but look at the guy in the back with the beard. The UK has much better detail and definition.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

VoodooXT posted:

On the other hand we still have the Criterion Collection and they don't. :911:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Hannibal Season 1 preorder is down to $21.99 - Fantastic price for a great show and it comes with an Ultraviolet code.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CWIMY3O...E7XQDZHZJKAYSZM

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.

CPL593H posted:

On the other hand we still have the Criterion Collection and they don't. :911:
Yes but how many new Criterion titles are just rehashes of releases M.O.C. and others have put out months before?

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Not a very large percentage?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Betty Boop Volume 1 dropped to $20.60 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D4C6780...83RAHPTB0YDGW7T

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My M.O.C. Repo Man Blu-Ray has the exact same extras as the Criterion version but a much uglier cover.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
What's M.O.C.?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

My M.O.C. Repo Man Blu-Ray has the exact same extras as the Criterion version but a much uglier cover.

Is it the same (director approved) transfer?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

^ MoC = Masters of Cinema (Both the Criterion and MoC edition used the same transfer except MoC matted the image slightly to 1.85:1 as opposed to Criterion leaving the full 1.78:1 scan open - difference of a few lines pixels)

It's been out for a year, but the Universal Hitchcock set is pretty good so far. Rear Window and Vertigo are simply amazing. I can't believe how spotless and film-like they look. Vertigo finally has a decent 5.1 and mono mix. They totally re-did the 5.1 track to have proper foley levels instead of the "pasted in" sound on the previous editions.

However, they could have authored the discs better. The Universal logo plays when you start the disc, when you start the movie, and it's pasted in front of the Paramount logo on the Hitchcock estate films (Vertigo, Rear Window, etc). So it plays three times before the movie. Obnoxious!

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Not sure if anyone here was following it but some dudes over at originaltrilogy.com had been working on a fixed version of the Night of the Living Dead 1990 remake blu ray. They totally fixed the dark color that was inexplicably applied to it.

Link to the thread about it: http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Our-Night-Of-The-Living-Dead-1990-project/topic/14861/

The people who donated to the project got this hotness:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CPL593H posted:

Is it the same (director approved) transfer?

Yes. It appears to be pretty much the same in almost every way. It was however a lot cheaper then the Criterion and I didn't have to wait over a month for it to arrive.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 24, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yes. It appears to be pretty much the same in almost every way. It was however a lot cheaper then the Criterion and I didn't have to wait over a month for it to arrive.

Yeah well....we have....uhhhh...FREEDOM! :911:

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Man Dutch Blu-rays are so weird. For example why are there trailers for Jackie Brown and Sin City on my Boondocks Saints Blu-ray. Not even "Now available on Blu-ray" trailers either. The original cinematic trailers with poorly translated hardcoded subs that look like they were also originally included on the DVD.
Jackie Brown, coming Christmas day (1997).

Edit: Also have several blu-rays that include glorious 4:3 trailers for ancient movies.

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 24, 2013

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I know I had asked this a long time ago in another thread, but is there any word of The Passion of Joan of Arc getting a release on Blu-Ray in North America? The Criterion DVD still looks pretty good but the print MoC used in their newest release is really loving good but I haven't seen anything pop up about it in a while (or I'm dumb and haven't noticed).

I'm still going to be hanging on to the DVD because it's really hard for me to watch it without Richard Einhorn's score at this point and I'm stubborn about listening to other audio for it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Awesome Welles posted:

I know I had asked this a long time ago in another thread, but is there any word of The Passion of Joan of Arc getting a release on Blu-Ray in North America? The Criterion DVD still looks pretty good but the print MoC used in their newest release is really loving good but I haven't seen anything pop up about it in a while (or I'm dumb and haven't noticed).

I'm still going to be hanging on to the DVD because it's really hard for me to watch it without Richard Einhorn's score at this point and I'm stubborn about listening to other audio for it.

Gaumont is working on their own digital restoration, which is probably what Criterion is waiting for. If I had a region free player, I would have gone ahead and ordered MoC's edition and just figure a way to sync Visions of Light.

I was actually disappointed by Criterion's DVD after checking it out again recently. It must have been before they encoded dual layer, but the movie and all extras are crammed onto a DVD-5. The compression is really bad in spots. Just kind of weird they opted for DVD-5 for one of the greatest films ever made, yet they used a DVD-9 for the W.C. Fields shorts collection in the same year. :raise:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

NihilismNow posted:

Man Dutch Blu-rays are so weird. For example why are there trailers for Jackie Brown and Sin City on my Boondocks Saints Blu-ray. Not even "Now available on Blu-ray" trailers either. The original cinematic trailers with poorly translated hardcoded subs that look like they were also originally included on the DVD.
Jackie Brown, coming Christmas day (1997).

Edit: Also have several blu-rays that include glorious 4:3 trailers for ancient movies.

Dutch bluray are atrocious and I almost always import unless it's a good Universal or Warner Bros. one.

There's always one subtitle, Dutch, the transfer is often hosed up somehow (bad aspect ratio or 2.1 sound), have a lovely menu and no extras.

It's embarrassing and a hassle.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dissapointed Owl posted:

There's always one subtitle, Dutch,

That's not true, you can also choose French :v:

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Dutch bluray are atrocious and I almost always import unless it's a good Universal or Warner Bros. one.

There's always one subtitle, Dutch, the transfer is often hosed up somehow (bad aspect ratio or 2.1 sound), have a lovely menu and no extras.

It's embarrassing and a hassle.

This disc is like that, no menu just ancient trailers --> movie.
I just don't understand the reason. The missing extras i can understand since most consumers would demand a translation track with that and that costs money and only 10% of the people care about that poo poo anyway so gently caress you.
But to include 10+ year old 4:3 VHS trailers and not even take the effort to click together a menu over a static jpg is just mind boggling, these people have no sense of pride in their work at all.

POS Samsung won't unlock so it looks like i am bound to region 2. What is a good country to import blu-rays from? The German ones are pretty cheap (cover art is translated but most seem to included original audio track) or do you just get the UK releases?

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Egbert Souse posted:

Gaumont is working on their own digital restoration, which is probably what Criterion is waiting for. If I had a region free player, I would have gone ahead and ordered MoC's edition and just figure a way to sync Visions of Light.

I was actually disappointed by Criterion's DVD after checking it out again recently. It must have been before they encoded dual layer, but the movie and all extras are crammed onto a DVD-5. The compression is really bad in spots. Just kind of weird they opted for DVD-5 for one of the greatest films ever made, yet they used a DVD-9 for the W.C. Fields shorts collection in the same year. :raise:

Yeah early Criterions can be appallingly bad. I actually applied for a job with them many years ago - I'd worked as a PA in television and hadn't had any luck getting my foot in the feature film world yet. This must have been 2001 or so. Anyway, I was using Mandy.com to try to get leads on feature film work (HAHAHAHA) and saw a job opening listed for a QC position at Criterion. I figured what the hell, right? I had it in my head that I might work my way up into film restoration and DVD producing. So I wrote a long cover letter introducing myself. Since I had little in the way of credentials, soomehow I thought it would be a good idea to impress them with my sharp eyed criticism of their existing products (the few I'd familiarized myself with, at least) so I devoted a paragraph to chastising them for their non-anamorphic DVD-5 titles. I guess I probably said I hoped to be part of the team that would lead them out of those dark ages... heh. Never heard back from them, can you believe it?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Five Cent Deposit posted:

Yeah early Criterions can be appallingly bad. I actually applied for a job with them many years ago - I'd worked as a PA in television and hadn't had any luck getting my foot in the feature film world yet. This must have been 2001 or so. Anyway, I was using Mandy.com to try to get leads on feature film work (HAHAHAHA) and saw a job opening listed for a QC position at Criterion. I figured what the hell, right? I had it in my head that I might work my way up into film restoration and DVD producing. So I wrote a long cover letter introducing myself. Since I had little in the way of credentials, soomehow I thought it would be a good idea to impress them with my sharp eyed criticism of their existing products (the few I'd familiarized myself with, at least) so I devoted a paragraph to chastising them for their non-anamorphic DVD-5 titles. I guess I probably said I hoped to be part of the team that would lead them out of those dark ages... heh. Never heard back from them, can you believe it?

Jeffrey Wells? :haw:

To be honest, Criterion isn't to blame for older DVD standards. There's almost no DVDs with passable encoding by today's standards from before 2000. People were still figuring out how to make the format work well and most people wouldn't see the flaws anyways. Since when is compression artifacting intrusive on a 20" CRT with composite input?

On the flip side, I'm still in awe of the quality of some early DVDs. American Graffiti is about as perfect as a 480p DVD can get and it's from 1998. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is surprisingly good (and still the only way to see the better international cut). Even the first editions of Casablanca and The Wizard of Oz look great. Then there's all the non-anamorphic MGM, Paramount, Fox, and Disney releases, all the pan & scan/open matte laserdisc ports, and flippers. I was horrified by how bad the compression looks on the original All the President's Men - 140 minutes crammed onto a DVD-5!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Egbert Souse posted:

I had the same idea. I enjoy hearing different interpretations for soundtracks in other silent films but Voices of Light is just absolutely beautiful and Einhorn crafted it solely for the film, even going so far as to record the church bell at Joan's birthplace and incorporate it into the score.

Good to hear there's a restoration coming along, though. It's my favorite movie of all of time and I'm just waiting to throw my money somewhere.

quote:

It's funny - I popped it in yesterday to take a look at it and the extras really do look pretty compressed. The film itself isn't so bad, at least to me, but I don't think I ever realized they used DVD-5 for it. Odd.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcPQtfis2tU&hd=1

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

NihilismNow posted:

This disc is like that, no menu just ancient trailers --> movie.
I just don't understand the reason. The missing extras i can understand since most consumers would demand a translation track with that and that costs money and only 10% of the people care about that poo poo anyway so gently caress you.
But to include 10+ year old 4:3 VHS trailers and not even take the effort to click together a menu over a static jpg is just mind boggling, these people have no sense of pride in their work at all.

POS Samsung won't unlock so it looks like i am bound to region 2. What is a good country to import blu-rays from? The German ones are pretty cheap (cover art is translated but most seem to included original audio track) or do you just get the UK releases?

Almost always go for UK or check Blu-ray.com whether or not the American release is region free. You can often import discs from Amazon.co.uk/com for even cheaper than buying a lovely Dutch copy in stores.

German and French releases almost always go with their respective language subtitles only.

There are examples of good releases though, like the french label Metropolitan release of 'Silent Hill' which had improved image, sound and English subtitles. Yet every other Metropolitan release foregoes English subs.

Personally, no English subtitles-No sale.

They finally release the non-poo poo looking version of 'Evil Dead 2' in Europe. No subtitles whatsoever.

gently caress you. English subtitles is like the bare loving minimum you could possible put on the disc.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 26, 2013

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

gently caress, I'm there! Sign me up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like Kino's new edition of The Stranger is quite good;

Here's the old "HD Cinema Classics" disc:

• Locked thread