Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Blind Sally posted:

What's even better is that Riki winds up being one of the more complex and interesting characters in the story. Some of the Heart to Hearts with him are brilliant.
Also, when you get his Arts and Skills sorted out, he becomes this monstrous engine of destruction. That damage multiplier you get when you do a Chain Attack? It applies to the initial damage on his DoTs (Burninate, Freezinate, etc.), and every damage tick afterwards.

And then you jam him full of Ether Up, Freeze, Burn, and Bleed gems. Also he has a heal that fires in a line or cone, I forget which. Jesus, I just remembered he's got an Art that refills the party's Chain Attack gauge, too. gently caress me, what were they thinking when they designed him? "Hm, well a properly controlled Sharla can make the party effectively immortal, so that's a good start. But have we got someone who kills everything yet?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Ha, yeah, he also has so much HP that he's effectively immortal himself. Riki can make a surprisingly effective tank.

EDIT: people who ignored Riki because he was "the mascot character" really missed out.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Blind Sally posted:

Ha, yeah, he also has so much HP that he's effectively immortal himself. Riki can make a surprisingly effective tank.

EDIT: people who ignored Riki because he was "the mascot character" really missed out.

Riki, Melia (especially once she gets her good DoTs) and literally any other character (Dunban Dunban Dunban) will effortlessly slaughter everything in their path. Brings a tear to your eye.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

All hail the mighty heropon! Best character not named Dickson - I also love the fact that the chief basically pressures him into indentured servitude with a line of bullshit. And that the cute mascot character is a 40-year-old dad.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I love how Riki's introduction, instead of the silly, cutesy music you'd expect, you have this classic rock-sounding theme that you'd expect for some biker badass.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
What? Do you actually mean the music which plays during the volleyball scene?
I like that song. But badass or classic rock-sounding are certainly not words to describe it.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Not in the Volleyball scene itself, but just after it. The part where the percussion and warble aren't there and it's just the guitar.

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 19, 2013

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Yaaay, Heropon Riki! :allears: Pack it in, folks, we just got the best character in the game!

Lethe, now that you're caught up, how will you be handling sidequests from here on out? Last time 'round you have cute little mini-updates with various Doug faces. :3: I liked those.

Also, hurray for being caught up!

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
Now that we have so many characters, I thought I'd say I really like how this game encourages you to mix up your party and your player character often with the whole relationship/heart to heart system. If you stick as Shulk for the whole game, you won't ever really get your relationships between other party members very high, and you'll miss out on a lot of good scenes, plus I think you'll have a harder time gem crafting since I think relationships play a role there. I never cared to play as about half the cast, but I ended up really liking the entire other half, and just trying out playing as every character is something that I don't usually do in RPGs.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Melly, DunDun, and Sharla is my main party for most of the game. Mostly because there is a quest that requires Melly and Sharla to be Best Friends Forever. Otherwise I would probably ditch Sharla for Riki!

Even though Shulk is really the best protagonist. He lost his parents and his childhood friend... but HOLY CRAP SCIENCE! :science:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Gifting items exists for a reason, y'know. (The reason is so that you don't have to use Sharla to gain affinity.)

Dunban/Riki/Shulk was pretty much my standby because playing as Dunban rules, Riki's utility artes and HERO TIIIIIME are greatly useful even if he's AI, and Shulk has all the cool business. Things just sort of died because that party is sort of monstrous.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

alcharagia posted:

Gifting items exists for a reason, y'know. (The reason is so that you don't have to use Sharla to gain affinity.)

Dunban/Riki/Shulk was pretty much my standby because playing as Dunban rules, Riki's utility artes and HERO TIIIIIME are greatly useful even if he's AI, and Shulk has all the cool business. Things just sort of died because that party is sort of monstrous.

I completely forgot about that... time to grind some Dobercorgis!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

What's even better is that Riki winds up being one of the more complex and interesting characters in the story. Some of the Heart to Hearts with him are brilliant.

It's the reason I picked him for my avatar. He's got some of the best battle dialog too.

Riki: "Sidekicks try hard!"
Reyn: "What, who are you calling sidekicks?"
Riki: "Don't see anyone else, must be you."

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

alcharagia posted:

I'm not that big on gifting. It feels like too small an affinity boost for the time investment of both grabbing up the collectible and going through the process of using it from the inventory. (Most of this is, admittedly, a generalization of "I'm not that big on Xenoblade's inventory system overall". I have few gripes with the game, but that's one of them.)

Much, much later on, in a few dozen updates, it'll be fine for me to discuss what I like to do for efficient affinity in the endgame, for any character pairings that haven't already maxed it out by then. But all the way until that point? I'd rather just run around fighting poo poo because really, combat's a lot of fun.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
For those who haven't played the game - when you fight the characters normally finish each battle with a one liner or a funny dialogue between party members. Up til now they either haven't been interesting (Whoo we won! variations, mostly) or haven't really been audible if they have been different.

I am more than happy for everyone to post their favourite bits of flavour dialogue. It's random which ones you get and god some of them are so funny.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Most of the good ones involve Reyn or Riki.

Reyn: "You can't make a rainbow without Reyn!"
Melia: "Dunban, you need to talk to Reyn."
Dunban: "No, let's just pretend it didn't happen."

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Oh! My favorite is with Riki, Sharla, and Melia.

Riki: Riki wish Melly were real big sister.
Melia: Awww, but what about Sharla?
Riki: Sharla more like mumma. One mumma enough!
Sharla: Now wait just a-!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Reyn: Good thing I'm here!!

No?

Anyone? :(

EDIT:

Reyn: How would you rate me in that battle?
Dunban: Amateurish!
Sharla: Yes, amateurish.
Reyn: Aw, man. After all my training.

Sally fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 20, 2013

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?
I don't remember the exact dialogue, but there's a few where Reyn brags to Sharla and she shoots him down or ignores him. He sounds so crestfallen afterwards.

Also, the one where Melia says Riki is the fluffiest of all Nopons. She says it with such gravitas.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Tupperwarez posted:

I don't remember the exact dialogue, but there's a few where Reyn brags to Sharla and she shoots him down or ignores him. He sounds so crestfallen afterwards.

Reyn: I'm on fire! Sharla, did you see me? Did you see what I did!?
Sharla: Oh! I, uh, wasn't really looking.
Reyn: Aw, come on. That's not fair.
Shulk: *Laughs*

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Tupperwarez posted:

Also, the one where Melia says Riki is the fluffiest of all Nopons. She says it with such gravitas.

I think that was Dunban.

Dunban: Truly, Riki is the softest of all Nopon.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Reyn: Just goes to show, brawn is better than brains.
Sharla: Oh no, I can't let that one slip by.
Melia: The head! Shoot him in the head!
Reyn: What? What did I say?

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

I'm partial to the one where Reyn gets sleepy after a battle, Shulk yells his name only for Reyn to start snoring, of course this is while the party is still running full tilt.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I think that was Dunban.

Dunban: Truly, Riki is the softest of all Nopon.

Melia: He's so cuddly, I could almost cuddle him to death!
Dunban: Riki may well be the softest of all Nopon.
Riki: Riki suddenly feel afraid!

Ardryn posted:

I'm partial to the one where Reyn gets sleepy after a battle, Shulk yells his name only for Reyn to start snoring, of course this is while the party is still running full tilt.

Shulk: Melia, are you tired?
Melia: No, I am fine. Reyn, however, I'm not so sure about.
Shulk: Reyn, wake up! Reyn!
Reyn: *Yawns* Sorry, sorry. Didn't get enough sleep. Why don't we grab some shut-eye?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Okay, Blind Sally, what's Shulk/Melia/Riki?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My favorite one liner was Fiora's at the beginning - "Let's press on and on and ON!" She just sounds so excited to murder some rabbits! It quickly rocketed her to my favorite character and I was looking forward to murdering many more animals with her.

:smith:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Okay, Blind Sally, what's Shulk/Melia/Riki?

Ha, another good one!

Riki: Melly, Riki try really hard! You see it?
Melia: Of course, you sweet thing. Who's a brave boy?
Shulk: Um, Melia? Are you feeling okay?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Blind Sally posted:

Ha, another good one!

Riki: Melly, Riki try really hard! You see it?
Melia: Of course, you sweet thing. Who's a brave boy?
Shulk: Um, Melia? Are you feeling okay?
You know that old gag where a guy brings a cute baby/puppy with him to the park to attract women? Riki is the guy and the puppy. Does his deviousness know any limits?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tupperwarez posted:

You know that old gag where a guy brings a cute baby/puppy with him to the park to attract women? Riki is the guy and the puppy. Does his deviousness know any limits?

Well he does have 11 kids. Clearly Riki's swag has no off button. Reyn on the other hand...

Melia: "Riki, may I please stroke your soft fur?"
Riki: "Melly always welcome!"
Reyn: "Me too please!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blind Sally posted:

Something I always liked was they took the time to fill in the details of how such a small character would fight/protect itself in a forest of loving massive creatures (protective :black101: spiked gloves for the ear/hand things that wrap around most of the front of the body, playing dead, using poisons, that sort of thing), rather than just "cute character that hits things" and call it a day.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Melia: May I stroke your fur please?
Riki: Melia always welcome to stroke Riki!
Reyn: Me too, me too!
Riki: Reyn pay Riki one cookie for every stroke!
Reyn: Hey, how come I'm the only one that has to pay?!

Riki's delivery is flawless in this one.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
I still think my favorite thing about Riki is that he's FORTY.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

My favorite thing about Riki is his running animation when you play as him, especially when you max out the Quick Step gems.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

My favourite thing about Riki is the dance he does as his idle animation. I could watch that little dude spin all day :allears:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I am not a huge fan of him. But heavy armor really suits him.
By the way, will you show of how the different sets of armor look on different characters?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
So is there a reason you sat on a full Talent Gauge and let the Telethia regain its entire health bar? Or does Monado Purge not stop that?

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

C-Euro posted:

So is there a reason you sat on a full Talent Gauge and let the Telethia regain its entire health bar? Or does Monado Purge not stop that?

I had actually forgotten about the regen aura and thought I was missing something else. Monado purge would have gotten rid of it had my brain been screwed in properly.

Air is lava! posted:

I am not a huge fan of him. But heavy armor really suits him.
By the way, will you show of how the different sets of armor look on different characters?

Yes I will be. Especially hilarious ones. In the next few updates Reyn stands in the background looking... Interesting.

I also play dress-up-Riki from now on. Definitely a style over substance approach.

vaguely posted:

My favourite thing about Riki is the dance he does as his idle animation. I could watch that little dude spin all day :allears:

I have a short video coming up where I give the full rundown on the inventory, armour etc and I have Riki stood in the middle dancing for it.

Blind Sally posted:

Melia: He's so cuddly, I could almost cuddle him to death!
Dunban: Riki may well be the softest of all Nopon.
Riki: Riki suddenly feel afraid!

I managed to get this one recorded and will append it to an update because the delivery is excellent.

Re: Sidequests

Now I have all the characters and we are some levels ahead I can go back to earlier areas and show them off in a more complete way, and also the interesting/cute/background quest chains. Would people prefer these as videos (uncommentated), screenshot, or happy with a hybrid approach as it suits?

I may have hundreds of minion icons ready to go

Last night I tried playing some final fantasy while I was tucked up in bed and dying meant I had to redo a whole portion from scratch. I sat there finding it unbelievable how much of a difference getting to keep progress and checkpointing made in how enjoyable games in the genre are now. I really couldn't be bothered to do it again and played Disgaea instead.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
I had to take a 2 month break for this game. I dumped a little over 60 hours into it within 2 weeks or so, and ended up completely burning myself out trying to do absolutely everything. I picked it up again last night, and ended up playing it for about 6 hours straight without realizing it, but again doing practically no progress since all the time was spent chasing shinies on the ground hoping for a Rainbow Slug and trying to craft the best Muscle Up gems.

We have a love-hate relationship. It is a compulsive completionist's nightmare.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Lethemonster posted:

Now I have all the characters and we are some levels ahead I can go back to earlier areas and show them off in a more complete way, and also the interesting/cute/background quest chains. Would people prefer these as videos (uncommentated), screenshot, or happy with a hybrid approach as it suits?

Last night I tried playing some final fantasy while I was tucked up in bed and dying meant I had to redo a whole portion from scratch. I sat there finding it unbelievable how much of a difference getting to keep progress and checkpointing made in how enjoyable games in the genre are now. I really couldn't be bothered to do it again and played Disgaea instead.
I'd go with hybrid. Screenshots would suffice for most stuff, but put any particularly good fights or character-centric stuff (heart to hearts, I'm looking at you) in video at your discretion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Lethemonster posted:

I had a similar experience when I switched to Dragonquest IX after playing Xenoblade for a long time. (We were visiting the in-laws. I had no choice!) I just missed way too many of the little quality of life improvements Xenoblade made on the JRPG genre. And DQ9 is one of the good ones!

Re: sidequests, I think going with whatever format suits you would be fine. I'd love to see some of your icons too!

• Locked thread