Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

gradenko_2000 posted:

I posted that Matt Bors comic as a response to the millenial hit piece, and got back this gem:

"What have Millennials ever accomplished?" I type into Facebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Nope, that's not what Conservaboy said; what he said is indeed inconsistent.

He said that "revolution" was the liberal and disorderly act (etymologically it's the "conservative"/rollback one) and that "rebellion" is a restoration of old customs/rights/institutions (etymologically it just means "attack against it" [i.e. the system]").

He's precisely backasswards on it in terms of the Latin roots of the terms.

Again, here's the guy's incorrect sum-up:

I'm sorry to derail, but can someone tell me why all this Ron Paul poo poo has the backwards LOVE thing? What is with that?

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

"What have Millennials ever accomplished?" I type into Facebook.

If Zuckerberg is our hero then it's time to end this generation.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Soonmot posted:

I'm sorry to derail, but can someone tell me why all this Ron Paul poo poo has the backwards LOVE thing? What is with that?
Can't spell rEVOLution without the love that Ron Paul has for us all!

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Can't spell rEVOLution without the love that Ron Paul has for us all!

He loves us enough to give us the opportunity to bootstrap our way out of poverty and curable disease.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Soonmot posted:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Coworker proclaimed that he was independent since the Democrats are trying to turn the country communist and the Republicans are idiots... Aka: I vote straight ticket Republican because false equivalency.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
So it's really some sort of weird messiah complex?

\/\/\/This is what you people did in LF all the time, right?

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Sep 20, 2013

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Soonmot posted:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Soonmot posted:

I don't think Ron Paul/his campaign actually created it but as far as I know they did use it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Soonmot posted:

Sometimes they advocated Stalinism until no one could tell who was trolling.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

quote:

I am lovin' this.. ~ Judy

U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with ‘Top Gun’-worthy stunt.

The U.S. Air Force has a message for Iran: Don’t mess with our drones.

In what only can be described as a scene out of Tom Cruise’s “Top Gun,” Gen. Mark A. Welsh III, Air Force chief of staff, describes how F-22 stealth jets scared off Iranian jets from a U.S. drone flying in international airspace.
The Aviationist reports that in March a U.S. MQ-1 drone came close to being intercepted by an Iranian F-4 Phantom combat plane, but the Iranian aircraft stopped short after a warning by an American pilot.

“He [the Raptor pilot] flew under their aircraft [the F-4s] to check out their weapons load without them knowing that he was there, and then pulled up on their left wing and then called them and said ‘you really ought to go home,’” Gen. Welsh said.

According to The Aviationist, the Iranians came within 16 miles of the drone.

poo poo that didn't happen? I can't find it on snopes. And the top 2 hits for the title are Freep and the Washington TImes

Usually a Snopes link is all I need for this girl. She was in the military [band] and is just straight stupid not hateful.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Do we even have any F22s deployed? That story has so much wrong that i can't find it believable.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Are F-22s even deployed outside the US right now? As I understand it they need fairly sophisticated infrastructure or the stealth performance degenerates quickly.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

This actually might be poo poo That Did Happen... but it's highly exaggerated, I'm sure.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/General-Bold-Account-Of-US-F-22-Iranian-F-4-Engagement220604-1.html

F-22s have been posted outside of Iran since '12..
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/us-stealth-22-raptor-fighters-now-irans-back/story?id=16227614

Keep in mind the originator of this anecdote is this guy...

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 20, 2013

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

These are my favorite emails:

First President to have a law signed by an auto-pen without being present.

Out of all these statements it is probably safe to say 2/3 are incorrect

This one took all of "looking up 'autopen' on Wikipedia" to disprove:

quote:

Harry Truman is believed to have been the first United States President to use the Autopen as a way of responding to mail and signing checks.[8] Gerald Ford was the first President to openly acknowledge his use of the Autopen.

The autopen that JFK used.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007
Well, the email alleges Obama was the first to use it to sign a law, which is true.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/28/us/politics/28sign.html?_r=0

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MokBa posted:

My best friend from childhood currently works for Grover Norquist in DC. He went to Northwestern and was always a very intelligent guy, and I wondered what made him such a classic Republican. He grew up extremely privileged, an only child whose dad co-owned a Chevy dealership, but he has studied government and politics enough to have some kind of self-awareness. Today I finally understand him, because he posted this:

Literally six paragraphs of "I feel threatened by change". He always wanted to be the villain when we were playing...

Have you asked him yet why he feels the need to press his own need for simplicity on the rest of us? You want to live the simple life in a tight-knit community? Go join the Amish, they'll be happy to have you. Just leave the rest of us the hell alone.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

It may have been posted there, but, as the article even says, this stupid thing has yet to see a combat mission, and even as of last year pilots were refusing to fly the drat money pit.
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/may/01/business/la-fi-fighter-pilots-20120502

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tibeerius posted:

Well, the email alleges Obama was the first to use it to sign a law, which is true.

The only things on that list that are true are the extremely nitpicky ones like that or things that he didn't actually do but happened, like the credit rating thing.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Considering that the only options are yes, no, or "let's ignore that one" I really don't get how it matters the way he gives his yes.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Tibeerius posted:

Ah, my mistake. I missed that pedantic nitpick in the original email. Who gives a gently caress if the President physically signs a bill into law as long as he gives approval for use of the autopen? Isn't that the same thing?

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

I had someone jumping down my throat about AC-130s and C-130s being able to travel from Italy to Libya in times that might violate the speed of light.

Its literally one of those "If I had been there, those Muslims would've regretted it" masturbatory fantasies.

Make sure anyone that says that an AC130 could have gotten to Benghazi in time is a psychopath for thinking that it's okay to strafe a loving city. Feel free to use scathing language to get this point across, because it is deserved.

I like AJAM's report on the Oversight Committee's report on Benghazi, which basically said that the security at Benghazi wasn't good enough, and security at all diplomatic posts isn't good enough, and it's always been this way and this isn't the first time it's happened or the only President it's happened to.

Obama is getting more flak for it because of what Susan Rice said and because he's Barack Obama aka Muslim who loves watching our SEALs die.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kro-Bar posted:

Ah, my mistake. I missed that pedantic nitpick in the original email. Who gives a gently caress if the President physically signs a bill into law as long as he gives approval for use of the autopen? Isn't that the same thing?

It feeds into the idea that Obama is lazy and does the absolute minimum required to rule. The unwritten assumption is he's out someplace having fun versus signing bills as they come across his desk.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I got into a dust-up over that loving GYPSY article over the past few days.
It's pretty much settled now, but I figured I'd submit to the hive mind's critique of my presentation of evidence.
Dramatis personæ:
Sara Bellum is my wife.
Al Fredo and Reed Iculous are women in our church. I chose to engage Al because she's shown an inclination for a well reasoned explanation of why she's wrong in the past.
Artie Choke, and Sven Gineer are random friends of Al's.
Artie claims to be a millennial but was born in 1977, so it seems a bit of a stretch to me.
Al gave me some backstory on Sven: she (like Al) has a son with Down Syndrome, and Sven's husband killed himself two years ago, explaining what Sven was alluding to.

The article that started it all
Mrs. Doctor posts Bors, I'm so proud
Every every every generation has been the me me me generation

Adam Weinstein's response to the GYPSY article

Graphs showing inflation in education outpacing drat near everything
I was going to call it a day after my 11:15am post, and Al's 11:31 followup about student loan debt.

Then Sven posted calling everything first world problems.

Graph showing stagnation of wages for drat near everyone
Al's 404 link
Al's link showing the same stagnation, yet apparently proof there isn't stagnation? :wtc:
When pressed, Al posts this link. Yes, it's just a loving Yahoo search. :psyduck:

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324807704579085084130007974.html

So this has started making the rounds.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

It sure takes a privileged bullshit artist to construe 'competitive running is not popular anymore' as 'loving kids'...

Why aren't there any old assholes in the Tough Mudder, Spartan Race, and all of the new super-popular competitive outdoor events that are booming right now?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
And hey, if "those loving kids" want to have some fun in a healthy, athletic way, instead of being all IRONMAN MUST TRIUMP IN SHORTEST TIME :black101:, how is that a bad thing?

Oh right, we don't have cases full of Olympic gold medals in marathon. Unlike the previous generation, which is absolutely not filling hospitals and nursing homes with people who failed to care for themselves.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

Me in Reverse posted:

It sure takes a privileged bullshit artist to construe 'competitive running is not popular anymore' as 'loving kids'...

Why aren't there any old assholes in the Tough Mudder, Spartan Race, and all of the new super-popular competitive outdoor events that are booming right now?

Triathalons are actually even more popular now than they were 30 years ago. But because the rise in popularity means more casual/first-time runners have started participating as well, the average/median time has gone up.

ONCE AGAIN CASUALS ARE RUINING THE EXPERIENCE OF ME, THE HARDCORE GAMER RUNNER

TheGrizzle
Jul 3, 2007
He's even dumb enough to contradict his own bullshit. He calls some of the younger participants "amateurs" and that's just what they are. There are many more younger amateurs than there are either competitive participants, young or old. Noone should expect the amateur to place well. If there is a large number of young people that put forth the effort to participate despite lesser dedication and performance, that will naturally inflate his standing. God forbid amateurs not be as hardcore as man who's competed for 30 years, much less do it not to "win" so much as challenge their own physical fitness. It may shock this man, but most triathlons see more young amateur participants that are just happy to finish than they have Olympic-caliber competitors.

His complaint is just so loving stupid.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
At least the author is getting eviscerated in the comments, which is better than I expected from the readers of the WSJ sports page.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
EDIT: Double post, crap.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
I just watched my girlfriend finish her first half ironman, that poo poo is grueling, and so is the training. I should tell her that she should be ashamed of not having a better time. I should never have been proud of her, that only made her soft.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Soonmot posted:

For the longest time I read it as a misspelled 'evil' rather than a backwards 'love'. Apparently, I'm not the only one, because we have the :evil: smiley.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Remember, this is from the same newspaper where one of the members of their editorial board called the citibike program totalitarian and stated "the bike lobby is an all-powerful enterprise".

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Defenestration posted:

poo poo that didn't happen? I can't find it on snopes. And the top 2 hits for the title are Freep and the Washington TImes

Usually a Snopes link is all I need for this girl. She was in the military [band] and is just straight stupid not hateful.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2013/09/17/welsh-f22-flew-to-drones-rescue-off-iran-coast.html?comp=7000023435630&rank=1

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I know that the tactical/political realities are probably more complicated or whatever, but am I the only one who finds it kind of funny that we sent a human pilot to protect a robot that was in peril?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Ainsley McTree posted:

I know that the tactical/political realities are probably more complicated or whatever, but am I the only one who finds it kind of funny that we sent a human pilot to protect a robot that was in peril?

I'll have you know that robot is extremely expensive and the poors are eating us into debt. Don't be insensitive.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Is there still an active link to the Paul Bomb that was made for the 2012 election? I know some of the info may be out of date. Please and thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Cat Face Joe posted:

Is there still an active link to the Paul Bomb that was made for the 2012 election? I know some of the info may be out of date. Please and thank you.

Here you go: http://pastebin.com/t91dj9FC