Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sjurygg posted:

Just completed an army medic course and I'm starting to wonder if I should've been working in hospitals all these years instead of with computers :smithicide:

At least I can use it :unsmith:
Have you had to put your finger up anyone's bottom? Do you want to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Will I get paid to do it?

gently caress, here I am suddenly thinking out loud about paramedic school. I just wonder if I'll lose too much pay from where I am now.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Sjurygg posted:

gently caress, here I am suddenly thinking out loud about paramedic school. I just wonder if I'll lose too much pay from where I am now.

This was a wonder for me, which is why I'm only doing school part time. I don't know if that's an option for medical things, though I suppose not. If you're more of a regular 9-5 kind of person, though, and you're not getting into something that's going to require crazy hours, it opens up a lot of possibilities as far as scheduling.

The future pay cut is a thing to think about for sure, but you have to balance that with happiness.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Sjurygg posted:

It's all a slog eventually - medicine especially - so don't sweat it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

It's all a slog eventually - medicine especially - so don't sweat it.

The story of my life is I enjoy things right up until I start getting paid to do it, then it feels like work. Because it is.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sjurygg posted:

Depends on your rates ;-*

Placenta Smoothie
Aug 25, 2008

Somehow I don't think walking unarmed into a herd of boar with razor blades for tusks is an entirely sound idea.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Depends on your rates ;-*

They'll triple of you make him wear a fursuit.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
Shredded brussels sprouts sautéed with some crispy pancetta more like daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

Also I hauled big at the market today with all the Chinese bakeries selling off their moon cake stock for cheap cheap cheap so I'm going to be stuffing my face with delicious lotus paste for weeks. It's a good time to be a fat goon.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

My folks decided to remake the kitchen in their house, and since they've never done a kitchen for themselves, my mom went a little hog wild... custom cherry cabinets from a local guy, marble tops, built in fridge, etc. etc. Looks really nice!

Yeah, I want that undercabinet lighting. WANT.

Close up of the cabinets and marble. The floors are soft pine.

While I'm not so sure about the wood-clad fridge,

I'm totally loving jealous of the slide out pantry.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I bought hella beef neck bones at the grocery store yesterday because they were cheap as hell. I've never used them before. What delicious things can I make?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Squashy Nipples posted:

My folks decided to remake the kitchen in their house, and since they've never done a kitchen for themselves, my mom went a little hog wild... custom cherry cabinets from a local guy, marble tops, built in fridge, etc. etc. Looks really nice!

God drat that is a baller kitchen. I'm jealous as hell. Except for the wood-panel fridge.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I miss Mommie Dearest. No offense mindflux but you're no Mommie Dearest on eviscerating someone for making a poo poo thread. That "pizza" thread is just downright dumb. When did GWS become GBS+food?

Oh and sweet kitchen man! Knock them off so you can inherit it!

edit: i spell the dumb

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 20, 2013

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I've got a decent kitchen but I want that pantry. Want it bad.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
When we buy a house next year, I am totally doing my kitchen all stainless with wooden countertops.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Croatoan posted:

When did GWS become GBS+food?
We have been a bit light on high-effort food content lately, haven't we? I'm open to innovative suggestions on how to increase traffic and/or post quality.

I'm going to a Malört tasting tonight. It should be...interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNMinoa9ILg

The Malört facebook page recently had a slogan contest and among the entries (supposedly from fans) was "Jeppson's Malört: If bile could vomit." To pair with this wondrous liquor I'm taking some Limburger cheese. I'd inflict surströmming on the crowd but I'm pretty sure it's banned under hazmat laws.

Can our Scandinavian contingent - or anyone who's experienced the wonder of bäsk - suggest any other pairings that might go well (or horribly) with Malört?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

bartolimu posted:

We have been a bit light on high-effort food content lately, haven't we? I'm open to innovative suggestions on how to increase traffic and/or post quality.

Summer has been just awful in terms of work, personal problems, other stuff for me so I've actually reverted to some seriously bad cooking practices. I'm hoping as winter comes I'll be posting more. Not saying my posting is the end all of effort posts or anything but I know that I used to contribute a hell of a lot more than I have been.

the regular traffic standbys have completely stagnated. ICSA, NICSA, Cook or Die, etc. Maybe getting more structure into these could be good.

I've been thinking about something like GWS version of TFLC GET SWOLE challenges. Something to get the newbies cooking and posting but also improving. I haven't quite hashed out a way to do it.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Beer and food. Wormwood schnapps is meant to be a digestive consumed in minute quantities. Any kind of hearty, robus North and Middle European fare will accompany it well but it's like I said not meant to be taken in great quantity. I like it well with sauna smoked pork and good smoked salmon to cut the fattiness (no way am I not going to eat that delicious rind of congealed fat).

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I genuinely think that a good portion of ex-regulars who know a lot and can contribute a poo poo ton of information are timid to post or just have lost interest in GWS after whirled peas. I know that I still make some crazy fun things in the kitchen but talk about them in IRC or just don't bother to post because what's the point if I have to stand on par with someone who's idea of a good thread is titled "Pizza" and took a dump on a tortilla and called it good. That's pretty loving elitist of me, I know, but that's also something that comes with confidence and knowledge of a certain subject matter.

Can we at least be dicks to someone for not trying like we used to if we’re still helpful in the long run?*

I love encouraging newbies who show that they want to try (mentos, grav, & PF for examples who are now superstars) but I don’t like the simple fact that our subforum has basically the same “bar” to meet as just about any food forum on the internet.

*as long as we’re helpful in the long run and not just douchebags of course

Just a suggestion, take it for what it's worth.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

GWC needs to go on a forum-wide missionary trip, I think.

Why are Michelin restaurants held in such esteem? Walmart sells high quality steaks.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Now I'm mad.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Jesus, what is wrong with GBS.

"Why are some things more expensive than other things?"

Also, August/September is the beginning of school and all and I'd guess most people's schedules are busy during this time, whether they're in school or their kids are or maybe they're a teacher and their district assigned them 3 schools, 6 periods to teach, and 1 prep period to handle all of that. :suicide:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Good things usually happen when you're mad. Go on a jihad.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

My father in law and his wife came to visit and rather than eat the Thai green curry I was planning on making decided to take us out to(emotionally blackmail us into going to) the Golden Corral. (They refused to go anywhere that was "fancy" or "ethnic") We had a brand new baby and it was cold season so I sat in the car. My husband brought me a to-go plate and told me that while he was picking up my food he asked the food scooper/server what cut of meat the steak was. This was received with a blank look. He then got to explain to his dad and his dad's wife that the cow is a multitude of different muscles with different flavors and textures, not just a walking log of uniform meat.

Also, I've been waiting for another cook or die or some sort of "everyone try a Thing" with minimal requirements. Doing a full NICSA is a bit much right now (in the middle of a kitchen remodel, we don't actually have countertops right now) but something where you're just challenged to try something new and take a picture I can do.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

I've been thinking about something like GWS version of TFLC GET SWOLE challenges.

drat, must have missed that. Would have loved to participate in that. Would participate in the GWS version too!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
If we get swole, we have to worry about heart disease.

You know, it is that time of year to break out the roasting tray and the Dutch ovens. Maybe I'll have someone more professionally photograph my next party, since I've been on a kick of having colorful folk over for impromptu dinners.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

GWS GET TOTES CARBO LOADED

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I bet I can lift the most beers.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Croatoan posted:

No offense mindflux but you're no Mommie Dearest

man this honestly might be the biggest compliment you've ever paid me.

bartolimu posted:

yeah, I was just thinking that a couple days ago. mainly because I really wan't trying to troll that guy really, my first post was really just lamenting that it was a pretty heavily GBS style GWS post, which I'm not very fond of re: content. and then well one thing lead to another and man that guy just set himself up for it :( hope he doesn't actually think I have anything against him (he probably does)

anyways, I'm not sure there's anything you could do per se as a mod to increase post quality. I think maybe just no one has really been posting anything worthwhile recently. my excuse is getting married and a shitload of work, but I also have been thinking about posting a few step by step on my favorite-est dishes, or some I cook really frequently and are v. accessible.

we'll see, I'm sure gws will bootstrap itself, we go through some lovely phases from time to time. I do sort of agree with the sentiment about whirled peas tho, we definitely lost a few posters for whatever reason, be it that or just a lack of quality content in general.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

You know, a pizza thread may not be too bad of an idea. It's approachable, everyone from the gooniest of goons to the spergiest of PF's loves it. It's a blank canvas, it's versatile. I might draft up an OP. Should we redeem the current thread or start a new one?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Start a new one, the other one was obviously a troll due to it's tag in my opinion (which is why I didn't take it seriously and crapped on about about off topic things until tweek)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

You know, a pizza thread may not be too bad of an idea. It's approachable, everyone from the gooniest of goons to the spergiest of PF's loves it. It's a blank canvas, it's versatile. I might draft up an OP. Should we redeem the current thread or start a new one?

Great idea, start a new one.

Amykinz posted:

My father in law and his wife came to visit and rather than eat the Thai green curry I was planning on making decided to take us out to(emotionally blackmail us into going to) the Golden Corral. (They refused to go anywhere that was "fancy" or "ethnic") We had a brand new baby and it was cold season so I sat in the car. My husband brought me a to-go plate and told me that while he was picking up my food he asked the food scooper/server what cut of meat the steak was. This was received with a blank look. He then got to explain to his dad and his dad's wife that the cow is a multitude of different muscles with different flavors and textures, not just a walking log of uniform meat.

Also, I've been waiting for another cook or die or some sort of "everyone try a Thing" with minimal requirements. Doing a full NICSA is a bit much right now (in the middle of a kitchen remodel, we don't actually have countertops right now) but something where you're just challenged to try something new and take a picture I can do.

I've always liked the idea of an animal called a meat. So you'd have beef, chicken, lamb, pork, and meat.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

therattle posted:

Great idea, start a new one.

I've always liked the idea of an animal called a meat. So you'd have beef, chicken, lamb, pork, and meat.

Where do you think polony/bologna sausage/baloney comes from? It can't be beef, fowl, lamb, or pork.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Fo3 posted:

Where do you think polony/bologna sausage/baloney comes from? It can't be beef, fowl, lamb, or pork.

Exactly!

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Fo3 posted:

Trees, like pasta.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Geokinesis posted:

Trees, like pasta.

the baloney fields of velkopopovický, where tender young beloneys sway in the gentle autumn breeze like so many blades of grass

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

In class, a girl seriously, and without irony, said that she eats neither animals or plants.

"Well, what do you eat"

"Mac and cheese, stuff like that."

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
beloney is the technical name for a young baloney fyi

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Mr. Wiggles posted:

In class, a girl seriously, and without irony, said that she eats neither animals or plants.

"Well, what do you eat"

"Mac and cheese, stuff like that."

Powders and stuff that comes out of aerosol cans. She's right you know, probably some sort of plastics, plasticizers, nitrates, chemical compounds and lots of salts. Strange thing to mention to others though, most people that eat that aren't even aware of that fact and wouldn't eat it if they knew.
e: Of course if they were in the USA, that's bullshit; corn is in everything anyway.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 20, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Gettin some tires installed. Writing a megathread on an iPhone sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

We have a pizza thread :qq: no one remembers me