Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mega64 posted:

Are you loving kidding me.

Really.

Really.

Literally making a 3D remake of The After Years. Of all the games to give a 3D remake to, it's...really!?

I think FF Mystic Quest had a limited number of enemies, since there were no random encounters and monsters don't respawn when defeated.

As for beefed-up enemies, Sword of Mana let you fight a tougher version if you beat I think one thousand of an enemy. They were tougher, but dropped high-end forging materials. Of course, killing one thousand of one enemy is as ridiculous as everything else about that drat game.

Japan has some insane obsession with FF4 and anything connected to it, including terrible fanfics-turned-game like TAY. Plus this means they hosed with something already terrible instead of making a horrific 3D FF6. I mean look at those models. They get points for trying but it's still ugly as poo poo while a 2D game could look amazing.

W.T. Fits posted:

A quick glance at the NeoGAF thread Mega linked indicates that they're releasing it in the same chapter format they used for when it originally came out as a cell phone game and as WiiWare. Make of that what you will. :v:

I'm so glad that when SE went back to redo their mobile strategy this came out of it. I was afraid they might do something smart but I'm glad to see I was wrong. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sunning posted:

Speaking of FFT, its creator, Yasumi Matsuno, is working a new Tactical RPG called Unsung Story. It's for mobile platforms

That might be the fastest I've gone from straight-up giddiness to feeling let down ever. I really need to get an iOS device.

W.T. Fits posted:

A quick glance at the NeoGAF thread Mega linked indicates that they're releasing it in the same chapter format they used for when it originally came out as a cell phone game and as WiiWare. Make of that what you will. :v:

So it sounds like their plan's to completely redo the game just to do the same poo poo as last time? That's pretty mind-boggling if even half the stuff I've heard about The After Years is true.

Also, I realize this isn't the thread for it, but I've never played Valkyrie Profile and I'd like to. I'm looking at the PSP remake because a) that's the only way to pay reasonable prices for the game and b) death to console JRPGs. Is the port any good? Or should I just hold off?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Terper posted:

That's some pretty terrible quality, here's a better capture of it.

And yeah, I could spot a few new things, most of it around the 2:50 mark.

I'm excited as poo poo for this game, it looks amazing and fresh.

Which means the general consensus thus far is "SQUARE IS RUINING MY LIFE!" right?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Well, its a little strange calling it fresh considering how long we've been watching trailers of it in various forms. I'm still looking forward to it though.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Oh I just watched the trailer for the first time, I meant the gameplay, aesthetics, et al.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Terper posted:

That's some pretty terrible quality, here's a better capture of it.

And yeah, I could spot a few new things, most of it around the 2:50 mark.

Huh. They still have the balls to trot out the "Fabula Nova Crystallis" subtitle. I thought they buried and disappeared it after Type-0 just barely squeaked out of development.

You know what, I take it back, Nomura SHOULD take another eight years to uproot everything he's done on FFXV and turn it into his musical fantasy dream game. Not only would it be a captivating trainwreck, but I'd also be well into my 30's by the time it comes out and hopefully finally weened off of video games as a form of entertainment.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Now that I've taken a second look at the trailer, the game, while it does really look amazing, the in game graphics don't quite look like what I expected.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

nine-gear crow posted:

Huh. They still have the balls to trot out the "Fabula Nova Crystallis" subtitle. I thought they buried and disappeared it after Type-0 just barely squeaked out of development.

You know what, I take it back, Nomura SHOULD take another eight years to uproot everything he's done on FFXV and turn it into his musical fantasy dream game. Not only would it be a captivating trainwreck, but I'd also be well into my 30's by the time it comes out and hopefully finally weened off of video games as a form of entertainment.

FFXV has always been in the FNC mythology umbrella since it was Versus XIII.

As for the in-game graphics -- this still has quite a bit of its PS3 dev code in its engine. Pushing it to next-gen should result in a further overhaul of the engine.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Azure_Horizon posted:

Oh I knew that. I meant that Square seemed like it had been trying its damndest to hide the FNC subtitle since 2/3rds of the original games it was appended to turned into development shitshows and industry jokes (Type-0 turning out to actually be good notwithstanding).

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Fungah! posted:

Also, I realize this isn't the thread for it, but I've never played Valkyrie Profile and I'd like to. I'm looking at the PSP remake because a) that's the only way to pay reasonable prices for the game and b) death to console JRPGs. Is the port any good? Or should I just hold off?

It's based on the Japanese version of the game, so you miss some of the quality of life changes the American PSX version had. I think there's some other minor problems, but overall if it's the only way you'll ever play VP then you should go for it. (I say this loving VP and only having played the PSX version)

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
A decision that I still disagree with. Every Final Fantasy has always been a different world than the others, with the only thing it shares being the things it shares.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Gologle posted:

Now that I've taken a second look at the trailer, the game, while it does really look amazing, the in game graphics don't quite look like what I expected.

Yeah, it looks like a slightly upgraded PS3 game... which is what it really is, anyway. Also, multiplat. Hopefully, we'll get something more similar to Agni's Philosophy next time. You know, in 50 years from now.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gologle posted:

A decision that I still disagree with. Every Final Fantasy has always been a different world than the others, with the only thing it shares being the things it shares.

I think they were trying to add more stuff that they could share (Type-0 for instance has a heavily different take on the whole thing) but it's really lovely stuff to share that heavily shapes worldbuilding in a way that "class that fights with spears" and "adorable giant chickens" doesn't.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gologle posted:

Barudak posted:

I think they were trying to add more stuff that they could share (Type-0 for instance has a heavily different take on the whole thing) but it's really lovely stuff to share that heavily shapes worldbuilding in a way that "class that fights with spears" and "adorable giant chickens" doesn't.

But this is probably a new/different world that just shares elements of a mythos. Like, yeah Etro and fal'cie are things in this world, but I'll bet dollars to donuts they're not going to be used in the exact same way.

Basically the FNC poo poo is being used like the crystals in FF1, 3-5. There's always (at least) 4 crystals each tied to an element, and they were all important to the plot, but exactly what they were and what they did and what people did with them were different. They were big world building anchors that the games all shared, but the scope and design were different. Hell that's WHY it's 'the NEW TALE OF THE CRYSTALS'. They're trying to do that poo poo again but with a god attached to the crystals. It's a thematic link, more than likely.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 20, 2013

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I would accept that if Sqaure was smart enough to do that.

They aren't smart enough to do that.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

MarsDragon posted:

It's based on the Japanese version of the game, so you miss some of the quality of life changes the American PSX version had. I think there's some other minor problems, but overall if it's the only way you'll ever play VP then you should go for it. (I say this loving VP and only having played the PSX version)

I'm not sure what changes are missing, but I played the PSP port to the end and had a grand time with the game.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Fungah! posted:

That might be the fastest I've gone from straight-up giddiness to feeling let down ever. I really need to get an iOS device.

Matsuno has said in his interviews that this game and the accompanying card game are for hardcore players. Playdek's pricing model is that of a core game and a series of expansion packs. We need more games like this in order to create a market for these types of games on mobile platforms.

Gologle posted:

Don't look like what you expected as in "We're so sorry for taking so long to make this game. In the time it will take to make FFXV, Naughty Dog would have have made four games with metacritic scores comprised of 88, 92, 95 and 96 and total sales of over 18 million. We can assure you that FFXV will be better than all those games combined. It will have a metascore of over 370.00% and sales of over 18 million. Wait, the game will be multiplatform so make it 36 million sales which the Assassin's Creed games accomplished in a fraction of our development cycle. Otherwise, the last eight years of our lives would be completely worthless because we're utterly incompetent when it comes to project management of big budget HD games. I promise you that the game's development is completely fine. We are in no way masquerading a hastily developed tech demo with up-rezzed assests and pre-rendered scenes in order to save face and appease an increasingly unhappy fanbase. Don't feel that we're trying to dupe you by only showing a handful of videos for a non-playable game that has been in development for nearly a decade. Please be excited!"

Please don't be excited.

Azure_Horizon posted:

As for the in-game graphics -- this still has quite a bit of its PS3 dev code in its engine. Pushing it to next-gen should result in a further overhaul of the engine.

I never understood the marketing strategy behind FNC. People generally liked the FF7 compilation because the games and movies had a shared universe. They took place in the same universe and had the same characters. It was easy for anyone to see that the games were linked through a familiar cast of characters and visual design. It's not anywhere as easy to see how the FNC games are connected.

It's a concept that's not easily discernible to casual players and requires them to sleuth through the internet in order to find out the tenuous connection between the games. No wonder those games were renamed. On top of that, they needed FFXIII to be a FF7 level hit in order to buoy the entire concept. It was a terrible idea from the very beginning.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sunning posted:

I never understood the marketing strategy behind FNC. People generally liked the FF7 compilation because the games and movies had a shared universe. They took place in the same universe and had the same characters. It was easy for anyone to see that the games were linked through a familiar cast of characters and visual design. It's not anywhere as easy to see how the FNC games are connected.

It's a concept that's not easily discernible to casual players and requires them to sleuth through the internet in order to find out the tenuous connection between the games. No wonder those games were renamed. On top of that, they needed FFXIII to be a FF7 level hit in order to buoy the entire concept. It was a terrible idea from the very beginning.

I think they idea was to add new overarching mythos elements to Final Fantasy games in the same way that the name Cid, Chocobos, Moogles, Save the Queen, and other things are carried across even though they don't have any real connection to each other. The problem here is that adding these doesn't make development that much easier for subsequent games and doesn't add some sort of incentive for the fanbase that gets them to keep playing.

Now if SE released a Halo-Waypoint esque game shell called Fabula Nova Crystalis and by playing their games and earning achievements you level up within that shell and earn more rewards they'd have something on their hands.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Sunning posted:

Not to mention this isn't even the first time they tried a multi-game universe initiative and failed at it. You'd think after seeing Ivalice and World of Mana fizzle out that they wouldn't have jumped so heavily on yet another multi-game universe.

Of course, at this point this one's only going on because of necessity, in this case the necessity of sequels to justify all the money they sunk into FF13 to begin with.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To my understanding, S-E really wanted to be able to create marketable franchises out of the individual Final Fantasy games but not actually deviate from the Final Fantasy (number) naming scheme because that poo poo sells. The end result is what we've gotten with their last few games: "shared universe" marketing attempts and (number)-2 games. They effectively want to turn each numbered Final Fantasy into its own distinctive IP by giving it a catchy subtitle. (The Alliance, the NFC, even the Compilation of FFVII) while retaining the numbers because numbered Final Fantasies just sell better.

They just don't have anything more to it then that. They want to make shared universes so they can pump out more games but can't actually get the shared universes off the ground in any reasonable way.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
People generally liked the FF7 compilation? Who are these people? Everyone I know thought Advent Children was kinda entertaining and the rest was awful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

People generally liked the FF7 compilation? Who are these people? Everyone I know thought Advent Children was kinda entertaining and the rest was awful.

Crisis Core was well-received in most regards honestly. Dirge of Cerberus was the one that really murdered that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Crisis Core was well-received in most regards honestly. Dirge of Cerberus was the one that really murdered that.

Well don't forget the phone-game never came out stateside either which is a similar issue happening with FNC and Type-0. I think a big issue that SE is overlooking is that people tend to like game franchises because they can expect the gameplay to be relatively similar rather than the setting. The FNC, Ivalice Alliance, Compilation of FFVII had two-fold problems in that the games under each heading were nothing alike in mechanics or thematics and enough of the spin-off games have been bad to hurt the brand credibility.

Which also says nothing of the fact that outside of FFXII the world each mainline game takes place in has been drastically changed and or solved.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I never liked it myself but a lot of FF7 fans enjoyed the expanded universe and paid lots of money for it. They all performed well according to Square-Enix. Everything from Advent Children to Crisis Core and the subscription based Before Crisis sold well. They even got Dirge of Cerberus to sell over 500,000 copies in Japan alone. The original release didn't even have the improvements that came with the NA/EU versions.

It highlighted a lot of the problems that would affect FNC, such as poor quality control and drastically different gameplay mechanics.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

The development of Advent Children's story is almost a precursor to the problems with SE's direction with FNC; AC was orignally meant to be a short, then it got expanded with them seemingly adding whatever Nomura was thinking of at the time - the story itself is only vaguely comprehensible in its original state - the extended version is better in that regard.

The action scenes and music are pretty cool, but the whole thing just feels like an extended cutscene. Also Cloud is back to loving moping, again.

Crisis Core is pretty okay, albeit with a few problems, and most of them can be boiled down to the repetitiveness or story elements.

The OVAs might as well not exist for all the impact they've had - they're not bad, they're just sorta there.

Dirge of Cerberus was the real "Oh no, is this what FFVII's been reduced to?" moment out of all of the compilation stuff. The amount of bad gameplay and story decisions, holy poo poo.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Crisis Core would have been so much better without Angeal or Genesis. I don't really see what giving Zack a mentor/sensei/whatever really accomplished, since he fucks off pretty early in the story, and Zack is just left to whinge and complain that he's not around any more. It's basically if The Boss from MGS3 was handled terribly.

I also wish that you could explore the world more freely, but you're limited to where you need to be for the plot most of the time.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

That loving Sned posted:

Crisis Core would have been so much better without Angeal or Genesis.

Yeah, Angeal is basically as you describe. I find Genesis to be worse though - it's literally Sephiroth, but instead of him obeying Jenova, it's Minerva. And finding the Goddess materia instead of Meteor. And instead of the crazy rants about Reunion, it's crazy rants about Loveless, and the Goddess.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Genesis is Sephiroth if Sephiroth was also Seifer. You read one play in high school and then you're gallivanting around trying to do the bidding of your mother figure.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mr. Maltose posted:

Genesis is Sephiroth if Sephiroth was also Seifer. You read one play in high school and then you're gallivanting around trying to do the bidding of your mother figure.

To be fair to Angeal and Genesis, it's not like any of FF7 villains are that great anyway. Also I could see it being them trying to link thematic/narrative ties to what Cloud goes through as some big ole Irony thing. "Look, Cloud went through basically the same poo poo as Zach even after Cloud stopped thinking he was Zach". Sure it's dumb and kind of easy ties to do but hey, FF isn't know for their amazing stories (Most of them).

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I'm just about set up to play FFX for the first time. Anything I should know? Things to avoid?

I know who the characters are and have seen the first hour or two of story and some random bits here and there before but that's about it.

Edit: the last FF I finished was 7 back in the day.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
If you want to get one of the special summons, you'll need to get the secret item in each of the cloisters of trials (done by using the destruction sphere in the correct place). You can go back later to each of the locations, but you're locked out of them for a long while. If you're playing the International version it's even worse, so you'll want to get them all the first time through.

Other than that, there isn't really anything I can think of. The game isn't very hard, so don't worry about where you send your guys down the sphere grid.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

NLJP posted:

I'm just about set up to play FFX for the first time. Anything I should know? Things to avoid?

I know who the characters are and have seen the first hour or two of story and some random bits here and there before but that's about it.

Edit: the last FF I finished was 7 back in the day.

AP is awarded, non-split, to any party member who participated in the battle. So a battle could award 100 AP to each of three people, or it could award 100 AP to each of seven people. It's not like bringing in all seven will make it award 300/7 = 43 AP to each of them.

"Participated" means "did any goddamn turn-ending thing at all", including defending or switching equipment (but not just being swapped in and out without even doing that much). It's therefore much easier to keep your characters up to date and on par with each other, if you try to make it a point to bring in everyone to have a turn at some point.

Provided you rotate party members reasonably often, you can (kinda) get away with lazily giving that a pass on random battles (and definitely don't bother when backtracking, the trivial AP from earlier areas isn't worth the effort), but very very definitely do this for bosses.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
You can get a second Overdrive for your first summon in Besaid. If you're playing International, it's a really good idea to get that ASAP. It's less urgent otherwise, but still a nice bonus.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
We got a Theatrhythm Curtain Call trailer! Things of note: Mystic Quest not only gets tracks as previously announced, but character representation (Benjamin sighted at :42, during the FF14 track); that Versus Mode looks outright horrifying; Y'shtola is apparently the FF14 rep according to the logo??

I'd wonder if After Years would get any representation in the game for cross-promotion of the remake but haha After Years has no new assets.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Huh? TAY has original characters and original songs.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

ImpAtom posted:

Huh? TAY has original characters and original songs.

It was a joke :ssh: After Years only has what, three new tracks, though? I mean I might expect Ceodore to show up as an extra character but considering the rest of the game's representation lineup not much more than that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shaezerus posted:

It was a joke :ssh: After Years only has what, three new tracks, though? I mean I might expect Ceodore to show up as an extra character but considering the rest of the game's representation lineup not much more than that.

It has 12, I believe, although at leas 4 of those are seperate tracks that make up each form of the final boss' song.

I wouldn't be surprised if one shows up, to be honest. I'd rather see more FFT reps tho'.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Vil posted:

AP is awarded, non-split, to any party member who participated in the battle. So a battle could award 100 AP to each of three people, or it could award 100 AP to each of seven people. It's not like bringing in all seven will make it award 300/7 = 43 AP to each of them.

"Participated" means "did any goddamn turn-ending thing at all", including defending or switching equipment (but not just being swapped in and out without even doing that much). It's therefore much easier to keep your characters up to date and on par with each other, if you try to make it a point to bring in everyone to have a turn at some point.

Provided you rotate party members reasonably often, you can (kinda) get away with lazily giving that a pass on random battles (and definitely don't bother when backtracking, the trivial AP from earlier areas isn't worth the effort), but very very definitely do this for bosses.
Another point about swapping characters is that you want to open fights with your fastest characters and then swap them out for heavier hitters after their first action, or even swap immediately if you want to just kill a thing before anyone else can take an action.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

So I should definitely be swapping characters and try to keep people more or less at the same level?

Thanks for the advice so far :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
FFX is an easy game and you absolutely don't need to do that.

edit: the swapping in fast characters to start fights, the leveling advice is good

1st AD fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 20, 2013