Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I downloaded it and I'd say a 1.5 star rating is about right. It's clunky, Iron Man for some reason is Spider-Man pretending he's Robert Downey Jr, and some things are inexplicably not touch-designed (why do I have press on a 'play' button to advance dialogue instead of just tap like anywhere or within the speech bubble?). I didn't get far enough to begin customising the characters though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

I downloaded it and I'd say a 1.5 star rating is about right. It's clunky, Iron Man for some reason is Spider-Man pretending he's Robert Downey Jr, and some things are inexplicably not touch-designed (why do I have press on a 'play' button to advance dialogue instead of just tap like anywhere or within the speech bubble?). I didn't get far enough to begin customising the characters though.

Well that's a shame. Not too surprised though. Guess i'm used to disappointing games that mimic a successful model on ios.

(Turns on Battle Camp)

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time

SynthOrange posted:

This one's showing up in the Australian App store but it's been out since april and has a 1.5 star rating. Take that as you will.

The ratings are because it has a further download beyond what you download from the app store. That's seriously what every single review is about. Like I said, it's fine as a game if you don't spend any money on it.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

xarg posted:

Re: clash of clans chat from yesterday, it still amazes me that so few goons play it. It's almost exactly like puzzle and dragons in that you can pay money to speed things up, but you do get a steady trickle of the IAP currency coming in and it doesn't stop you from doing well, unless you want to compete for top 100 in the world or something.

This is what my base looks like, I've spent $5 on the game in probably a year? And that was just to get a 3rd builder since I foolishly spent the starting gems.

The only thing that annoys me about the game is that you only really want to attack when there's not long/no time left on your shield. Which rarely aligns with when I'm free to play so I don't end up attacking a whole huge amount.

I also kinda agree, I'm surprised to see that there isn't a huge presence around here. I've been playing Clash of Clans since the beginning of the year. Just log in, collect resources, do a couple of raids, go back to real-life work, rince, repeat, etc.

Regarding IAP, yeah the option is out there, but I've probably spent like, $10 on getting a 4th builder and because I grew a little impatient to get some high-level D later on in the game. But for the amount of money spent in relation to the time spent in the game, I think it was worth it.

Here's my base, for reference.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

The intro video for Infinity Blade 3 is one of the best I've ever seen in a videogame. Dat style.

(Anyone have good gold farming tips for this game? If it's anything like IB2 then I'm guessing it's gem-crafting all the way).

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Happy Bear Suit posted:

The intro video for Infinity Blade 3 is one of the best I've ever seen in a videogame. Dat style.

(Anyone have good gold farming tips for this game? If it's anything like IB2 then I'm guessing it's gem-crafting all the way).

Gems seem way less common for me now. If it helps, the later areas/rebirths just keep throwing money at you (esspecially if you get the skill for Isa that makes he basically have infinite small keys).

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

I'm finding it really hard to get money in IB3. The gems I craft suck and the amounts I get from enemies are puny compared to what I need to constantly have new gear. The one thing that kinda works is farming the optional weapon area, because you can just go there, kill an enemy, and then open that central chest that gives you like 20k gold most of the time.

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

A few new things popped up that look pretty interesting.

Bravura Quest which looks like Nimble Quest from the side.

This is going to drive me nuts but that art looks identical to another game that came out about a year ago. I thought the characters looked familiar but the 4th screenshot in iTunes really did it for me. I went through all of my old apps to see if I could find the one I was looking for and couldn't but I remember being excited for it and it being grindy and not very fun so maybe wait for it to go free if anyone was thinking about picking it up.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
So this is kind of cool: You Don't Know Jack Party, a multiplayer-style YDKJ designed for AirPlay + Apple TV (...or huddling around an iPad works too, I guess) using your phone and this app as a controller. I hope it works well, multiplayer Jack is a lost art. :(

EDIT: Also, looks like Logitech are gonna release that gamepad they had a prototype of during that one iOS7 event:

The Kins fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 20, 2013

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The Kins posted:

So this is kind of cool: You Don't Know Jack Party, a multiplayer-style YDKJ designed for AirPlay + Apple TV (...or huddling around an iPad works too, I guess) using your phone and this app as a controller. I hope it works well, multiplayer Jack is a lost art. :(

EDIT: Also, looks like Logitech are gonna release that gamepad they had a prototype of during that one iOS7 event:

I remember that Scrabble used to have something similar where you'd have the iPad board in the middle and the tile racks on iPhones, but I think they pulled the rack app for some reason. It was kinda neat. :(

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Sidpret posted:

I'm finding it really hard to get money in IB3. The gems I craft suck and the amounts I get from enemies are puny compared to what I need to constantly have new gear. The one thing that kinda works is farming the optional weapon area, because you can just go there, kill an enemy, and then open that central chest that gives you like 20k gold most of the time.

That work really well if you can get the girl the unlock medium chest.

The girls dungeons almost always are better grinding so I used her for most of the time. She is a good 5 levels of the dude.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Teddybear posted:

I remember that Scrabble used to have something similar where you'd have the iPad board in the middle and the tile racks on iPhones, but I think they pulled the rack app for some reason. It was kinda neat. :(

Yup and it's bullshit that there's little to no apps that do it. I would have imagined that board games would have been all over it.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Cloudchaos posted:

This is going to drive me nuts but that art looks identical to another game that came out about a year ago. I thought the characters looked familiar but the 4th screenshot in iTunes really did it for me. I went through all of my old apps to see if I could find the one I was looking for and couldn't but I remember being excited for it and it being grindy and not very fun so maybe wait for it to go free if anyone was thinking about picking it up.

It looks like loving Maplestory.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Cloudchaos posted:

Perhaps Battleloot Adventure?
http://appshopper.com/games/battleloot-adventure

EDIT: And this is why:
https://www.facebook.com/DigitalTalesGaming

Same company, different app publisher. Which is good, that means they're not ripping off the art style.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 20, 2013

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Teddybear posted:

Oh come on, no one owns that many Apple products. :v:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Dancing Peasant posted:

I also kinda agree, I'm surprised to see that there isn't a huge presence around here. I've been playing Clash of Clans since the beginning of the year. Just log in, collect resources, do a couple of raids, go back to real-life work, rince, repeat, etc.

Regarding IAP, yeah the option is out there, but I've probably spent like, $10 on getting a 4th builder and because I grew a little impatient to get some high-level D later on in the game. But for the amount of money spent in relation to the time spent in the game, I think it was worth it.

Here's my base, for reference.

Maybe a thread specific to Clash of Clans would bring a lot of people out of the woodwork?

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

Heran Bago posted:

No kidding - our family would be hosed if we wanted to play 6 person Scrabble.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Ugh Disney released a freemium duck tales game for the iOS today. I can't wait to see how gently caress up the IAP is going to be on this one.

Edit: it a team fortress game with timers :psyduck:. It cost a ticket to do a match and it takes 30 minutes to recover a ticket. It is a first person for the iOS so that as usual was a bad choice. Classes cost a lot of money to unlock, about 20 winning matches worth of money per class. And you have to upgrade your stats and weapons. So the big cash grab isn't making everything cost premium currency, but make everything cost a lot of normal currency and then expecting you to convert the premium into that.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 20, 2013

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

Perhaps Battleloot Adventure?
http://appshopper.com/games/battleloot-adventure

EDIT: And this is why:
https://www.facebook.com/DigitalTalesGaming

Same company, different app publisher. Which is good, that means they're not ripping off the art style.

That's the one. I haven't played the new version but it looks pretty close to the old one. I remember enjoying it but it got extremely grindy pretty early on.

Nice find.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Heran Bago posted:

Well, everyone in my family has an iPhone, and my dad had an iPad, so we were all set to go, and then whoops, no app.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Tower of Fortune went free to celebrate the release of its sequel.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Anyone try Bravura Quest yet?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The IAP in Shantae: Risky's Revenge that unlocks the full game is free to promote their kickstarter.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

The IAP in Shantae: Risky's Revenge that unlocks the full game is free to promote their kickstarter.

I just grabbed it and can't find IAP in it for the life of me (why am I even asking? I don't remotely enjoy what little I played).

Also, tip for the IB3 guys:
If you need to reuse that one area Isa and Siris can both access for grinding (with the ONE guy who respawns), don't unlock all the items from it. It disappears from the map after that.

Sad lions fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 21, 2013

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The Kins posted:

Holy poo poo, this came out at the perfect time.
(My social group have just about finished playing every single episode of YDKJ on XBox.)

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
My bad, it used to be IAP now it's just the full game by default, you don't have to do anything.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
If you plan on trying Sefirah, the Battleheart clone, make sure you check the Hall of Fame. It's not some social integration bullshit like I thought, it gives you rewards for achievements. Turns out you don't have to grind every level to fill out your party and progress!

It lacks polish in comparison, but I wana see how it develops. One major difference already is that you whiff on moving targets which kinda sucks.

vv Yea, that poo poo is great.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 21, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Infinity Blade 3 tip: DOn't loving bother if you have an iphone 4.

The Royal Scrub posted:

If you plan on trying Sefirah, the Battleheart clone, make sure you check the Hall of Fame. It's not some social integration bullshit like I thought, it gives you rewards for achievements. Turns out you don't have to grind every level to fill out your party and progress!

It lacks polish in comparison, but I wana see how it develops. One major difference already is that you whiff on moving targets which kinda sucks.

but it lets you tie all your party members together so you only have to tap once to get everyone to attack an enemy. That poo poo's great.

xarg
Sep 17, 2008

IF A MAN DRINK LIKE THAT AND HE DONT EAT HE IS GOING TO DIE

Red posted:

Maybe a thread specific to Clash of Clans would bring a lot of people out of the woodwork?
Usually the progression goes iOS games thread flooded -> make game-specific thread. There's more PAD talk in here than any other game and it has its own thread, it's gonna be a pretty quiet one if there's 3 goons playing it!

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Is iOS 7 jailbroked yet? A bunch of stuff has gotten a little buggy since the release, and I have various app updates on hold because they're iOS 7 optimised.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Corridor posted:

Is iOS 7 jailbroked yet? A bunch of stuff has gotten a little buggy since the release, and I have various app updates on hold because they're iOS 7 optimised.

No, it isn't.

You shouldn't expect one for a couple of months, at least, judging from previous jailbreaks, perhaps longer. We have a jailbreak thread in the Gadget forum, we keep tabs on the progress of jailbreaks in there, and are happy to discuss anything to do with jailbreaking in there.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Funso Banjo posted:

No, it isn't.

You shouldn't expect one for a couple of months, at least, judging from previous jailbreaks, perhaps longer. We have a jailbreak thread in the Gadget forum, we keep tabs on the progress of jailbreaks in there, and are happy to discuss anything to do with jailbreaking in there.

Okie doke, thanks and sorry to mispost.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Posted a ton more Pocket Trains codes ahead of release next week:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564670&pagenumber=35#post419707507

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

Is anyone else having issues with ib3 sometimes taking forever to load or just not loading? I'm running on a 5 with ios7 and I can't even get the game to start most of the time

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

sleepness posted:

Is anyone else having issues with ib3 sometimes taking forever to load or just not loading? I'm running on a 5 with ios7 and I can't even get the game to start most of the time

That starting load is unpleasantly long (made all the more annoying for its lack of a progress bar) and, worse, seems to be completely random for me.
I'm on an iPad 4 and I'm never stuck waiting around for any ridiculous length but the fact that it can take something like a minute to get started is a little irritating.

Worse than that is that I've had the crafting timers bug out on me a few times. This morning it happily told me my upgrades were finished for me to get into the game to see that they literally hadn't progressed since I left them last night.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Sad lions posted:

That starting load is unpleasantly long (made all the more annoying for its lack of a progress bar) and, worse, seems to be completely random for me.
I'm on an iPad 4 and I'm never stuck waiting around for any ridiculous length but the fact that it can take something like a minute to get started is a little irritating.

Worse than that is that I've had the crafting timers bug out on me a few times. This morning it happily told me my upgrades were finished for me to get into the game to see that they literally hadn't progressed since I left them last night.

I have a ton of crafting bugs. I keep trying to upgrade lovely shields (cheaper than buying a new one, faster to master as well) the game tells me 30 minutes. 30 minutes later I get the crafting done message, go to check and the shield has 2 hours and 37 minutes left :psyduck:

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

Those crafting issues are generally caused by your game being out of sync with the servers apparently. I can always fix mine by restarting the app, and sometimes just by switching to another app and then back after getting the notification.

Does anyone else have this problem where Isa just can't activate her super sometimes?

edit - oh and what's the deal with these gems that don't seem to have slots - the ones shaped like rectangles pinched in the center?

Sidpret fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 21, 2013

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
The hourglass and star (pinched squares) shaped gems go in high end weapons, go right to the last few heavy weapons and you see them.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Infinity Blade III doesn't even work on my 5S, either crashes or just sits on the first battle without anything happening. Dudes just stand there staring at each other.

Riveting

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I also play Clash of Clans. Here's my base and I'm kinda bad at the game.

I've used the strategy of wall breakers, giants attacking an air defense, then laying the healer behind the giants to take out defenses. I find bases are too large now for that type of strategy as my giants can't get to the mortars fast enough in order to take mortars out before my archers wander into mortar range. Usually I'd upgrade my troops and be able to punch through the new bases, but it's 6 million elixir to upgrade my Giants. I'm not going to IAP that.

I'd post in a CoC thread if there was one, and I'd appreciate anybody helping me get out of the 1600 trophy range with better attack strategies.

• Locked thread