Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Chip Cheezum posted:

So I just found out that while Unite Bomb never gains any skills, the inputs for the skills the other Unite Morphs get still do things. Wonderful Stinger makes you throw the bomb further ahead of you, Wonderful Rising makes you throw the bomb upwards into the air, and Wonderful Cyclone makes you throw multiple bombs all around you.

Oh huh that would have been helpful to know. I never really used the bomb as my main morph because I figured there was no reason to when I could throw it out as a multi and continue beating the hell out of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So I'm not sure if I enabled some auto combo on accident or whatever but at some point during my hardmode playthrough the game decided to make every attack the wonderful cyclone and when I just fought the first crab when I was standing on his weakspot it wouldn't let me do any attack other then wonderful rising. Like holding still and pushing the button made me fly up.

Did I enable something on accident?

Also anyone know where these two wonders are? Babe and Toy

Edit: Fighting the giant cube dudes seems to force me to cyclone, like it just happens randomly where I get nothing but cyclone.

Edit2: Wow, 006-B is the very definition of bullshit. How the gently caress do they expect anyone to do this poo poo on hard without dying.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 20, 2013

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So I'm not sure if I enabled some auto combo on accident or whatever but at some point during my hardmode playthrough the game decided to make every attack the wonderful cyclone and when I just fought the first crab when I was standing on his weakspot it wouldn't let me do any attack other then wonderful rising. Like holding still and pushing the button made me fly up.

Did I enable something on accident?

Also anyone know where these two wonders are? Babe and Toy

Edit: Fighting the giant cube dudes seems to force me to cyclone, like it just happens randomly where I get nothing but cyclone.

Edit2: Wow, 006-B is the very definition of bullshit. How the gently caress do they expect anyone to do this poo poo on hard without dying.

Sounds like you have the Full Automatic custom block equipped. It gets automatically equipped when you start a mission on the easier difficulties (even if you don't have a free slot) and doesn't automatically go away if you switch to the harder difficulties, you need to manually unequip it in the custom menu.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

I just remembered the extremely overt Metal Gear Rising reference near the end and now I'm remembering everything and god drat this game. I'm not sure if I like it more than Bayonetta. Maybe I do?? I dunno! They're kinda hard to compare from a gameplay perspective. I need to put more time into the higher difficulties/replays before I can decide on that. But The Wonderful 101 definitely out-crazys Bayonetta which isn't something I thought could happen.

It is a goddamn shame nobody will buy this. It's games like this that remind me why I love video games in the first place.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Doc V posted:

Sounds like you have the Full Automatic custom block equipped. It gets automatically equipped when you start a mission on the easier difficulties (even if you don't have a free slot) and doesn't automatically go away if you switch to the harder difficulties, you need to manually unequip it in the custom menu.

That explains it. Ran through 003-A easy to get a bunch of wonders I missed

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
I beat this game yesterday and I think at a glance I like this game more than Bayonetta. Even if the gameplay were exactly the same as Bayonetta's I think I would like this game more just because the style, setting, and characters are a lot more appealing to me than Bayonetta's. Also when the game suddenly changes into a shooter or other genre it's generally fun and doesn't feel like it drags on forever like when it happens in Bayonetta.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chip Cheezum posted:

I beat this game yesterday and I think at a glance I like this game more than Bayonetta. Even if the gameplay were exactly the same as Bayonetta's I think I would like this game more just because the style, setting, and characters are a lot more appealing to me than Bayonetta's. Also when the game suddenly changes into a shooter or other genre it's generally fun and doesn't feel like it drags on forever like when it happens in Bayonetta.

To be honest I think I like Bayonetta's basic gameplay more but I do think W101 does the extra stuff a lot better, and I really do like the aesthetic and characters more.

I really appreciate how non-cynical it is. It's really rare for a game to just be pure unbridled heroic optimism.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 20, 2013

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest I think I like Bayonetta's basic gameplay more but I do think W101 does the extra stuff a lot better, and I really do like the aesthetic and characters more.

This is kinda how I feel about it right now too. We'll see if that changes once I get as good at 101 as I was at Bayonetta.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

Chip Cheezum posted:

The fact that there's also a fairly decent amount of post-game content to go through (i.e. after your first run) with regards to bottlecaps and secret characters helps deal with the issue that some of the other Platinum games have where the only real appeal after having beat it once is to either improve your scores (not for everyone) or working towards the achievements (which usually have little to no gameplay as a reward).

Sure, there'll be enemy spawn mixups on different difficulty levels but otherwise nothing concrete as a reward, which 101 thankfully has and makes the game feel even better to play (though, I personally would still have played it as much as I have now, having unlocked 6 characters, without them).

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Has anyone figured out how to rescue those people on the building near the drawbridge in 001A? You can get to the base of the building by unite-building a bridge after the football helmet area, but everything is on fire and I couldn't figure out how to put it out. Curving your wonder liner around the fire on top of the building also doesn't work, for whatever reason.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Moon Monster posted:

Has anyone figured out how to rescue those people on the building near the drawbridge in 001A? You can get to the base of the building by unite-building a bridge after the football helmet area, but everything is on fire and I couldn't figure out how to put it out. Curving your wonder liner around the fire on top of the building also doesn't work, for whatever reason.

Jump with the fist equipped and out.

SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe
In the end this game has made me even more ansty for Bayonetta 2

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
I'll be picking up my WiiU tomorrow, but I'm wondering if I should also grab a pro controller. Would I be better off just sticking with the gamepad because of that weird inside-buildings stuff?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

WeaponBoy posted:

I'll be picking up my WiiU tomorrow, but I'm wondering if I should also grab a pro controller. Would I be better off just sticking with the gamepad because of that weird inside-buildings stuff?

Pressing the minus button once will switch the TV screen to what the Gamepad sees, and pressing it again will give you picture-in-picture. Pressing it a third time will put it back to normal.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

WeaponBoy posted:

I suggest getting a Pro controller anyway, they're really nice to use for any game. You can also do the same thing as Pikmin 3 or Monster Hunter by keeping it on a stand as a second screen while using the Pro, and may help more with looking back and forth. You can also hold R and use the right stick to look around in indoor sections with both the Gamepad and the Pro, which solves looking around inside without using gyro controls.

Personally, I just use the Gamepad for everything, but that's an alternate setup as well. There's a few sections where you're going to be taking a turret position, and I like looking around and firing with the Gamepad. There's no wrong way to unite up!

Also, your friends will thank you when you're playing a multiplayer game and you hand them a Pro instead of a Wii remote.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Someone help me before I lose my goddamn mind on this secret mission. It's 006 and it's in the epilouge so boss spoilers ahead

I get him down to 0 health and blast him with the laser and he just gets up afterwards and keeps attacking, what the gently caress am I missing? My mashing finger hurts

Edit: Okay nevermind, as usual soon as I complain about it I manage to beat it He kills himself after a last ditch attack

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 20, 2013

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Am I missing something or is 007 just supposed to be the most tedious worst poo poo in the world. I was loving the game up to now, but this is loving stupid. Sometimes I can morph, sometimes I can't! It's taking me ten minutes to fight scrub level tanks! gently caress! :suicide:

I tried recruiting the enemies at the beginning, but couldn't even draw a line to do that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

I really appreciate how non-cynical it is. It's really rare for a game to just be pure unbridled heroic optimism.

Yeah, in this age of super serious heroes questioning what morality is and what it means to be a hero, it's nice to see a super hero story that treats heroism with optimism and hope... and lets you reach and punch someone with a huge fist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ximum posted:

Am I missing something or is 007 just supposed to be the most tedious worst poo poo in the world. I was loving the game up to now, but this is loving stupid. Sometimes I can morph, sometimes I can't! It's taking me ten minutes to fight scrub level tanks! gently caress! :suicide:

I tried recruiting the enemies at the beginning, but couldn't even draw a line to do that.

007 is easily the weakest level.

Keep in mind you need a bare minimum number of Wonderful Ones to Unite Morph and you don't have them at the start. You can only do even a small unite morph if every single one of your team members is up and available. Just push past the early parts and you'll get a full team again.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I went the entire prologue and first section being really bad at the same, suddenly like magic I was good in the second chapter. I'm even able to change unite morphs mid air combo consistently.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JackDarko posted:

I went the entire prologue and first section being really bad at the same, suddenly like magic I was good in the second chapter. I'm even able to change unite morphs mid air combo consistently.

That's pretty much platinum games in a nutshell. They take a while to click but once they do it's amazing.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

007 is easily the weakest level.

Keep in mind you need a bare minimum number of Wonderful Ones to Unite Morph and you don't have them at the start. You can only do even a small unite morph if every single one of your team members is up and available. Just push past the early parts and you'll get a full team again.

I thought 007 was pretty bad after my first playthrough as well, but I replayed it to look for secrets yesterday and now I actually find it pretty fun (except the spinning platforms, those are still pretty awful). The trick to the first half is that you NEED to steal a bunch of Dough-Goos in the first mission, and you need to change your approach to that fight in order to accomplish that instead of just straight up killing them. If you come out of that mission empty-handed you're going to have a dreadful time with the next few, but if you get a decent-sized squad they're actually relatively easy.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Doc V posted:

The trick to the first half is that you NEED to steal a bunch of Dough-Goos in the first mission

I ended that entire mission with 109 guys. :smug:

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Dieting Hippo posted:

I ended that entire mission with 109 guys. :smug:

I did too in my first run. It's not that the operation is unbeatable without the Dough-Goos, they just make your life MASSIVELY easier and in retrospect it's pretty clearly what the developers intended you to do (even the Kahkoo-Regah in that operation is designed around the same gimmick!)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Does anyone know how to get the obtain all skills bottlecap or the super unite morph? I need them for a character and kind of clueless. I've made a sword of 100 people and that didn't count, made one of 200 that didn't count either, and according to the shop I have every skill including Platinum and Wonderful Forever

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Does anyone know how to get the obtain all skills bottlecap or the super unite morph? I need them for a character and kind of clueless. I've made a sword of 100 people and that didn't count, made one of 200 that didn't count either, and according to the shop I have every skill including Platinum and Wonderful Forever

Skills != Unite Morphs. You should get the all skills bottlecap once you've bought all three available skills from the shop and unlocked Stinger/Rising/Cyclone for all the main Morphs (except Bomb).

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Good news, The Wonderful 101 has taken the #1 spot for Wii U games....in France!

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

So, Operation 001-B Kahkoo-regah. The one in this video with the nerd man talking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76ybHfpwEug

How the hell do I get a platinum for combo? I've even tried using what few men it gives you to team attack while I'm shooting stuff and I still can't get the score high enough. What am I missing?

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
Does anybody have any tips for getting Platinum against the boss in I think Operation 005? The lava stage?

I can do everything I need to do at least semi-reliably except the parts of the boxing battle where the robot backs off, shows you what moves he's going to do, then comes in and does them. I can keep track of what he'll do, but it doesn't seem like I can dodge fast enough. I'll dodge the first attack and get hit by the second one before I can dodge again. Guarding only works against so many hits, unless I can do something like he can where he punishes you for attacking his guard enough times

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just unlocked (pretty big spoilers?) Totally not Viewtiful Joe... seriously

I'm so happy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Man, I think maybe I shouldn't have watched those showoff videos before playing the game. I keep trying to do cool stuff when I'm not equipped, either in unite skills or in personal skill. Gives me Viewtiful Joe flashbacks, when usually I remember how good I was AFTER learning that game.

Still fun though.

EDDryden
Jan 31, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah I admit that it's mostly my fault. I feel like a game journalist playing this through. :negative:

Unrelated but (004-B spoilers) When Red was alone I kept trying to find a red hot kick. I wonder if they can patch it in...

Wonderful Stinger in midair becomes Red Hot Kick during that section :woop:

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Woot finished the game. Been a while since a video game made me sweat. Now im working on pure platinum normal for every operation and completed operation 1 plus prologue today. Once you get Hero time and Hero sense, platinums aren't nearly as hard to come by.

Tried mission mode but I don't like how you need x number of o-parts to get a pure platinum rank.

Found the final boss music on youtubes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAA7Lh5YwuQ
Probably the best videogame boss music ever.

Joink fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 23, 2013

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
I've been trying to get Pure Platinum on the Operation 005 boss for the past few days on and off in between scouring levels for the last few Wonderful Ones, as I alluded to like four posts and several days ago. Jesus christ. I can get the combo score down no problem, I virtually never don't get platinum there, but figuring out how to not get hit in that fight alone has taken most of these few days, setting aside actually being able to execute it. And I only just managed to get a platinum in time on my most recent attempt by less than ten seconds, so I just know whenever I finally manage to do it without taking a hit I'm going to be like a second over time. Just trying this one guy and trying to get good at this one mechanic is really addicting.

It's not relevant to the boss I'm working on (I think) but I'd been really tepid about using Hero Sense the entire time I played through the game for the first time. The function seemed really nice but the description saying it consumed a lot of my gauge made me decide against it on my first playthrough, maybe I should give it a fair shake once I move on to other levels. I had this same relationship with Unite Camp because I had no idea it instantly refilled your gauge and then overcharged you, so I probably should try out more of the things.

SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe
The only thing that really bothers me about this game is the lack of mid boss checkpoints. Getting the bottlecap for no damaging the 005 boss is a pain

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

SombereroLad posted:

The only thing that really bothers me about this game is the lack of mid boss checkpoints. Getting the bottlecap for no damaging the 005 boss is a pain

Yeah, the retry system in general is pretty annoying, especially when compounded with the loading times. Metal Gear Rising did it so much better (different teams I know).

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
If all you want is the bottlecap and not the pure platinum, I'm pretty sure the kahkoo-regah in the epilogue on normal difficulty will count. It's a fight against the 005 boss without any of the stuff that comes before or after it. You can't take any damage as a condition for the mission, but being contained within a level will probably make the checkpoints more forgiving.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
Has anybody else heard any new messages during loading screens after beating the game? Normally during the loading screens you'll hear a character shout "The Wonderful 101!" but after beating it I got Laambo pouting and talking about how he hates the Wonderful 101, but I've only heard it once. Are there any others like that out there?

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Chip Cheezum posted:

Has anybody else heard any new messages during loading screens after beating the game? Normally during the loading screens you'll hear a character shout "The Wonderful 101!" but after beating it I got Laambo pouting and talking about how he hates the Wonderful 101, but I've only heard it once. Are there any others like that out there?

I'm pretty sure I first heard that one before beating the game (around operation 5 or 6, I think?), so you probably just need to reach certain points in the story to unlock them. Either way, the only other unusual loading messages I remember hearing are P-Star beeping and Vorkken telling you to join the Guyzoch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EDDryden
Jan 31, 2013

I just noticed that Gimme drops a Bayonetta insult and calls the W100 "crying baby cockroaches" This game :allears:

• Locked thread