Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

wolfbiker posted:

I use EMM for scraping metadata for all my movies, so I just added a 3D genre in that and would check 3D for any movie that applied, and now I just go to browse, genres, and choose 3D.

I tried this but I don't think thats the avenue I'm looking for as a solution. In the newest monthly of XBMC, it says it can auto-detect hsbs content, and label it as such. And switch to hsbs mode when playing those files. The hsbs interface works, but it's not detecting hsbs files, I have to manually go into hsbs mode in xbmc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

Hogburto posted:

The Linux installation for all of those are just a few command lines each (Google "install ______ linux" for each one). Practically pain-free, potentially even comfortable (with a little trust). Even if you don't understand exactly what you're doing, I think you'll get it up and running in no time.

...And while you still have Windows on there (if you need to), back-up your Windows drivers with DoubleDriver and your Windows key with Magic JellyBean. Could come in handy.

I'm curious, though -are these programs being unreliable for you on Windows or is Windows being unreliable? If it's the programs, deleting their configurations and reinstalling each could fix it. If it's Windows, an unstable system is usually a bad driver. Just saying because PC gaming is a big part of a HTPCs for me (even though it doesn't fit the acronym very well). Since XBMC can apparently launch external programs pretty easy (according to XBMC/emulation tutorials I haven't personally followed) I was hoping I'd be able to integrate my Steam and GOG libraries with it some time in the "near" (not really too near) future.

Anything that runs python seems to have issues here and there. Plus XBMC occasionally shits the bed when I put the HTPC to sleep. Headphones also seems to have a not-so-great windows build, particularly when it comes to read/write permissions, even when opened through an administrator command line. Specifically, I've been trying to develop a setup for headphones to grab torrents from a private tracker, then process a copy into my music folder which then syncs up to Google Music while keeping the original for seeding, but python throws errors when it tries to make the copy. I was hoping a nix set up would solve both the XBMC and headphones issues. Then again, I asked the headphones author to implement this feature in the first place and he did it off-the-cuff, so maybe it's just not ready yet.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Keito posted:

Is it a trivial process to install/upgrade sabnzbd and friends straight from git on OpenELEC?

The SAbnzbd suite as it's called on the stock OpenElec images is horribly out of date. Last time I used it there was a guy running his own Repository that overwrites the stock image's repo and updates it to more current releases. I would wholeheartedly recommend running a Linux install if you're going to use the Usenet stuff just to avoid any poo poo that piggybacks along with what you download.

However, everything has to be done from within XBMC when using Openelec. There is no SSHing in and doing apt-get for poo poo. Everything has to be done by hand in a very tedious manner. If you want poo poo to run behind XBMC stick with a more complete Linux distro like Xbmcuntu or whatever it's called.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Reverted back to latest stable of XBMC. Alpha 7 works ok, but there are random stalls/freezes, and lots of options are missing. Hardware decoding seemed to be fixed for my HD3000 with Alpha 7, however there is a documented bug where playback randomly fast forwards, which happened to me.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
Is there an addon or anything to allow amazon video on xbmc?

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty

Tiger.Bomb posted:

Is there an addon or anything to allow amazon video on xbmc?

Pretty sure its in this repo https://code.google.com/p/bluecop-xbmc-repo/downloads/list

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Didn't that (and most of bluecop's stuff) stop working at some point? It has been awhile since I looked at the XBMC forums, but I don't think there's a good way to stream Amazon stuff via XBMC. On a side note, having used it recently, the 360 interface is great. :v:

I should probably go through the XMBC forums and see if there's any OP worthy skins/add-ons that I've missed. Anything else need to be added while I'm at it?

Edit: I just skimmed the WIP skins, the first page of each skin subforum, and the video/program add-ons, and didn't see anything worth noting.

:shrug:

EC fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 16, 2013

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Artic skin is alright, nice blend of a bunch of different skins. Amber was made 1.0 and is in the main repo.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

kri kri posted:

Artic skin is alright, nice blend of a bunch of different skins. Amber was made 1.0 and is in the main repo.

Amber seemed like a gussied up Confluence clone, and Artic has way too much wasted space in the screenshots. I suppose I'll add Amber since it's in the repo and people might like that sort of thing.

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty

EC posted:

Didn't that (and most of bluecop's stuff) stop working at some point? It has been awhile since I looked at the XBMC forums, but I don't think there's a good way to stream Amazon stuff via XBMC. On a side note, having used it recently, the 360 interface is great. :v:

I should probably go through the XMBC forums and see if there's any OP worthy skins/add-ons that I've missed. Anything else need to be added while I'm at it?

Edit: I just skimmed the WIP skins, the first page of each skin subforum, and the video/program add-ons, and didn't see anything worth noting.

:shrug:

I'm using the amazon addon from that repo on openelec 3.0.6 right now. Seems fine to me.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

kri kri posted:

I'm seconding Arctic, it's fast and clean.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I am using OpenElec 3.03 and lately it has been freezing a ton. It tells me there are updates available, it downloads and extracts them, and then tells me to reboot. I reboot and it just stays as 3.03 and then tries to download the update again.

Nevermind, I was able to manually update from a remote computer. Now the xbmc remote app is being super twitchy again though :/

Elysium fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 17, 2013

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

Elysium posted:

I am using OpenElec 3.03 and lately it has been freezing a ton. It tells me there are updates available, it downloads and extracts them, and then tells me to reboot. I reboot and it just stays as 3.03 and then tries to download the update again.
Do a manual update:
Just download 3.2 from openelec.tv for your build and extract everything in the target directory into smb://<openelec box>/update then reboot the box.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Switched to Amber and lie it a lot. Like someone above said, it's essentially a nicer more refined Confluence, which is what I was using previously.

Is there any way to adjust sharpness using OE? I like to crank sharpness way up and previously had to use shaders in MPCHC to get it the way that I like it.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I started using Transparency as my main skin because I love how it looks when scrolling films and having the large fan art showing. Does any other skin do it as nice as Transparency?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

trilljester posted:

I started using Transparency as my main skin because I love how it looks when scrolling films and having the large fan art showing. Does any other skin do it as nice as Transparency?

Lots of skins have fanart-centric views if thats what you mean.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

kri kri posted:

Lots of skins have fanart-centric views if thats what you mean.

Yeah, with very minimal menus is what I'm aiming for. Transparency has been the best so far, unless you guys know of others that do it as well.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

trilljester posted:

Yeah, with very minimal menus is what I'm aiming for. Transparency has been the best so far, unless you guys know of others that do it as well.
Not really Transparency is one of the best skins around, used it for years. Ronie really deserves a lot of credit for all the effort he's put into it.

e: the FAQ is amazing :allears:

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 18, 2013

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just went through a bunch of skins, and at the end of the day, Aeon Nox still looks the best to me. Interface looks professional, scrolling looks good. Everything else looks somewhat amateur.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

jonathan posted:

I just went through a bunch of skins, and at the end of the day, Aeon Nox still looks the best to me. Interface looks professional, scrolling looks good. Everything else looks somewhat amateur.

My favorite is still metropolis. I'm not a big fan of the heavy fanart skins, and metropolis is easy to use.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EC posted:

My favorite is still metropolis. I'm not a big fan of the heavy fanart skins, and metropolis is easy to use.

Yes, I forgot about that one. Also very professional looking.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
I'm still personally a huge fan of Xperience 1080.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Metropolis is still nice, but I've been using and enjoying Ace since it was brought up in the thread a few months ago.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Just a heads up, iOS7 breaks AirPlay compatibility with XBMC. They don't have a timeline to fix it, either.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

EC posted:

Just a heads up, iOS7 breaks AirPlay compatibility with XBMC. They don't have a timeline to fix it, either.

How's chromecast compatibility coming along?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

bam thwok posted:

How's chromecast compatibility coming along?

I have no idea what that is! :v: I just saw the AirPlay thing on Twitter and thought if mention it here, since ios7 is the hot new thing.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

EC posted:

It does? I've had iOS7 running for a week or so now and was streaming music over AirPlay. Of course, that was to my Xios DS box running a slightly older (as in, a few weeks old) version of the nightly build that community puts together. I don't have the details of it at the moment, unfortunately.

Somewhat related, does anyone else run OpenELEC with an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station as their main router? Ever since I switched routers, I've been having issues with local name resolution for my OpenELEC device, and can no longer stream to it via AirPlay. I've been scratching my head about it for a few weeks now.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

EC posted:

I have no idea what that is! :v: I just saw the AirPlay thing on Twitter and thought if mention it here, since ios7 is the hot new thing.
Chromecast is the $20 dongle for your TV by google that allows you to pass internet streams, such as youtube, to your TV. Essentially Airplay for non-apple devices.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Fillerbunny posted:

It does? I've had iOS7 running for a week or so now and was streaming music over AirPlay. Of course, that was to my Xios DS box running a slightly older (as in, a few weeks old) version of the nightly build that community puts together. I don't have the details of it at the moment, unfortunately.

Somewhat related, does anyone else run OpenELEC with an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station as their main router? Ever since I switched routers, I've been having issues with local name resolution for my OpenELEC device, and can no longer stream to it via AirPlay. I've been scratching my head about it for a few weeks now.

Seems like it. I didn't install the GM, just updated OTA last night and now XBMC isn't a target for AirPlay anymore. I'm on XBMC 12, but I don't quite remember which version.

Edit: 12.2

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
All my XBMC devices (2 running 12.2 and 1 running 13.0-Alpha8) are still showing up in the Airplay menu, though I haven't tested them yet..

gargamale
Oct 11, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

EC posted:

Seems like it. I didn't install the GM, just updated OTA last night and now XBMC isn't a target for AirPlay anymore. I'm on XBMC 12, but I don't quite remember which version.

Edit: 12.2

Using OpenElec 3.2 on a raspberry Pi. I've had the iOS 7 beta for a couple of months and now the GM, Airplay works absolutely fine. Streamed iTunes Radio this morning actually without issue at all. Now playing screen even had the fanart, album/artist info as well.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I was just going by this tweet:

quote:

Sadly, Airplay to XBMC is broken with iOS 7 and at present we don't have a timeline for fixing it. a log file would be helpful though... (https://twitter.com/XBMC/status/380754577311952896)

...and when I tried it for myself it didn't work.

:iiam:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Playing around with OpenElec 3.2.0 and looking at moving my emulators to a different system. Just installed Aeon Nox from the official repo but the home screen doesn't display any widgets for Recently Added/etc. This is a fresh install and the services.skins.widget is there. I tried hitting back to hide/show widgets but nothing, anyone have any ideas? Works just fine in other skins. Every time I try to use this skin something new is broken, haha.

Edit: Ok I think I figured it out, by default none of the widgets are turned on, you need to customize the main menu item and enable them, argh.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 20, 2013

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I've never had any feature break in Aeon Nox, like, at all, man. They do like to switch things up for new major releases though.

Now, the Aeon skins that were derived from the original spaghetti codebase were an entirely different story... Breaking left and right if I even dared to look away for a moment.

So I tried a build of the RetroPlayer branch the other day, and it performed well in my extensive testing (I played one SNES game for five minutes). For now you seem to be limited to the options XBMC offers for regular video upscaling, which means no nearest-neighbor setting. I can't stand bilinear filtering of my pixels so I quit there.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Keito posted:

I've never had any feature break in Aeon Nox, like, at all, man. They do like to switch things up for new major releases though.

Now, the Aeon skins that were derived from the original spaghetti codebase were an entirely different story... Breaking left and right if I even dared to look away for a moment.

So I tried a build of the RetroPlayer branch the other day, and it performed well in my extensive testing (I played one SNES game for five minutes). For now you seem to be limited to the options XBMC offers for regular video upscaling, which means no nearest-neighbor setting. I can't stand bilinear filtering of my pixels so I quit there.

Did you play the game with a Bluetooth controller, by chance?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I haven't gotten any Retroplayer builds to work, yet (though I haven't tried much). Mega Drive games crash it instantly, SNES games give me what's akin to a CD player trying to play a data track and then crash.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
What devices are you running OpenElec on? Which build are you using of the RetroPlayer fork?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Bucket Joneses posted:

Did you play the game with a Bluetooth controller, by chance?

Nope, only tried on the keyboard on my Windows laptop. The only Bluetooth controller I have is a DS3, which I think is recognized as an Xbox 360 with that unofficial XInput wrapper thing, and they autoconfigure for the 360 pad.

Couldn't find a way to configure controls within XBMC, so I think you'd manually have to write in keymap.xml for now at least.

I'm honestly not that hyped to play with RetroPlayer, as I have a perfectly fine RetroArch setup going on console already. For me it's more about the cool factor of emulator cores running natively inside XBMC, and the boost that this might give to the libretro project when included in the master branch.

Speaking of inclusion, it looks like garbear is gearing up and getting ready to submit RetroPlayer pretty soon, with only a few more portions of code left to redactor.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=173153

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
Does anyone still use xbmc on atv2? Last time I updated to frodo there was some memory leak and ios kept killing the app. I had to downgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Tiger.Bomb posted:

Does anyone still use xbmc on atv2? Last time I updated to frodo there was some memory leak and ios kept killing the app. I had to downgrade.

I did until recently when my atv2 went into a boot loop and I had to restore to the latest firmware that only has a tethered jailbreak. With how often I have to reboot the atv2 while running XBMC, that was a non-starter so I got a NUC instead.