Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

PierreTheMime posted:

Biomancy is one of the things that makes Tyranid viable with its current codex. Iron Arm and Endurance are prime selections, Life Leech is an okay gun with a nifty benefit (FNP and IWND are better, obviously), Warp Speed can be useful to covering distances and getting extra hits in, and Enfeeble is great for debuffing before shredding a unit with guns and/or causing Instant Death on tough units/characters. Smite is not necessarily terrible either, considering its one of only two ways that Tyranids can access AP1-2 shooting (the other people Warp Lance). It's not as good any non-Haemorrage power, but it's still better than Haemorrage which is utter trash.

This "merely okay" power table makes Tervigons and the Swarmlord nigh-unkillable some of the time. I cannot tell you have many games I've had with T9 units advancing on enemy positions with the opponent unable to do anything. I had a game where a Ravenwing banner list was unable to injure anything in range on its turn with it's 100+ Boltgun shots because they were all T8+. That game did not go so well for them.
Bio is good for most Monstrous Creatures, but it's incredibly unreliable- Iron Arm and Endurance are really your only two "hit" powers, with Warp Speed being okay and Life Leech depending a ton on your stats. (For 'Nids, with BS3, it's pretty trashy.) When you get lucky and pull Iron Arm you're golden, but half the time that won't happen, at which point you may be in trouble.

I maintain that Smite is pretty awful. For a BS3 psyker shooting at Marines sitting in some generic 5+ cover, it averages less than half a wound after you get through the psychic check, deny roll, hit roll, wound roll, and save. That's just too many 4+s to succeed/6+s to fail for it to realistically do anything. It is almost strictly worse than a Plasmagun.

TheChirurgeon posted:

So the biggest factor in whether a discipline is good or bad is the quality of its non-random power, but the 'randomness' doesn't need fixing?
Mmm, not exactly. The ability to guarantee that you get something out of a discipline via the Primaris is a good indicator of whether the discipline is worthwhile; it stops you from getting stuck with a dead power. I don't like the random determination of powers and I don't think it's beneficial for the game, but it is what it is and GW probably isn't going to change their mind until 7th edition at the earliest. Done well, it could be perfectly fine as a thing, GW just did a pretty poor job of balancing the BRB disciplines. If you had, say, six good powers and a poo poo Primaris you could use it just fine, since it's more about getting something you can use than guaranteeing a specific result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!
I know most people don't like it but I am looking forwards to the hardback Black Legion supplement. Despite their limits, chosen at least look cool so using them as troops is a plus. Also, the color schemes in the supplement look like a nice way to differentiate which units have which marks in the army.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ghost Hand posted:

Make sure you magnetize the head....

I have a Jango Fett action figure that legit has a magnetized head, and the Mace Windu action figure that came out at the same time had a swinging action right at head level. You could even buy lil' Boba Fett and relive a child getting orphaned, in action figure scale!

The only head magnetizing I've thought of doing is for Marngeus Calgar. One head is his normal head, the other is a Catachan :madmax: head.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Safety Factor posted:

This is an amazing model. It looks like they posed Fulgrim as though he's dodging which makes his model work a little better; I always thought his pose was a little weird. It's one of my crazy dreams to one day buy all the primarch models and paint them up to a good standard. I'd love to see what they can pull off with Night Haunter and the Lion since those're the marine armies I play, but they're probably not going to happen for a while.

I dunno, next Heresy book has the Night Lords in, he could be coming up. Then again, they're teasing Ferrus and they haven't done Mortarion or Horus yet, so I guess it's not exactly methodical. Maybe they'll make models for some of the Primarchs late-era Heresy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mowglis Haircut posted:

I dunno, next Heresy book has the Night Lords in, he could be coming up. Then again, they're teasing Ferrus and they haven't done Mortarion or Horus yet, so I guess it's not exactly methodical. Maybe they'll make models for some of the Primarchs late-era Heresy.

And if you get horribly cast and warped models of traitor primarchs they will just tell you it's the late heresy version.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Wow Ghost Arks sure are a pain to paint.

This review says it nicely:

quote:

The Ghost Ark is not a kit.
The Ghost Ark is a curse.

As models go, you have quick little jaunts like, say, the Rhino. It fits together quickly and simply, and is a solid little mid-afternoon jaunt in the hobby park. You see the leaves, you feel the wind on your face, and you’re done. A little too soon, perhaps, but it was pleasant.

Then you have the Ghost Ark. The Ghost Ark is not there to remind you of life, putting the spring back into your step after spending hours in the dreary office of Other Models. The purpose of the Ghost Ark is to punish you for not buying enough Necron stuff in the first place.

How dare you, Ghost Ark says. How dare you not buy flights of Destroyers and triads of Wraiths from the last codex. What was wrong with Pariahs, who did everything a single infantry unit could do, and better than everything else in our meager codex? How dare you reject them?

But--but the only things that worked in the entire list were the Warriors, Immortals and Destroyers, Ghost Ark. What was I to do? I used Pariahs once or twice, but there wasn’t enough points left for everything else. And Wraiths, they just died too quickly.

Shh, shh. That is all in the past. Ghost Ark says. I am here now.

The pilot is in as many pieces as they could make a figure. I was was surprised that the legs were attached as an integrated piece, because they were separate from the pelvis, which is its own separate bit. There are the obligatory torso halves, but there are separate HEAD and NECK pieces, for pete’s sake. One arm is separated at the elbow for no apparent reason. Then you have a spinal column connecting him to command chair.

What other infantry-sized miniature has a separate neck?

Sorry, did you want quality out of your Necron vehicles? No one (with any common sense) bought flights of slab-sided, boring monoliths, so in retribution, here is your delicate plastic flower. That is our revenge, Necron player. Drown in the depths of our design. Choke on our cyclopean geometry. Ghost Ark is the other side of the diabolical eldritch coin. A pyramid with a big gay emerald on it was iceberg tip of the horrible writhing squid monster sleeping beneath the surface of a lackluster codex. Therein lies an underworld of poorly-written fluff and way too many open-topped vehicles.

MasterSlowPoke fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 20, 2013

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

When my friend built one I think we worked out there were like 60+ pieces of just Necron Warriors, never mind the Ghost Ark itself. An absolutely hateful kit.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I built two without painting them, so now I get to go back and paint them!

Good thing I don't plan on using them any time soon so they're way on the bottom of my list of poo poo To Paint.

Also I don't plan on doing a particularly good job on them either (something like tin bitz + ushabti bone or something and I'm done) and I'm not doing highlights or layering or anything. Just slapping two colors on it and calling it a day.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

SRM posted:

It won't be as bad as a Steam sale unless they're selling at a discount, which I doubt they will. Having a local hobby shop always rules though, in case you want to grab some paint or something. If you want to grab stuff cheaper, thewarstore.com sells stuff at a 20% discount, as do a number of other retailers.

Im suddenly really gratefull the local hobby shop does 20% off everything GW because gently caress shipping.
RE: Horus Heresy
So do we know if they are going to do before and after models for the traitor Primarchs?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Can anyone give me any tips to get motivated to paint my Imperial Guard more than the undercoat spray they have had for roughly 2 years? I fell into the standard trap of buying 100+ models in a short period of time, and burnt out at the insurmountable painting mountain ahead.

In other news, just bought a Stormlord, so that Vulcan Cannon loves Tyranids... and everything else.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
If you just want to get them painted then devise an efficient means of doing it quickly. You can accomplish mediocre things with washes! A bunch of guys painted in block colours with some washes on top, with finished bases are a huge step up from being merely spray-painted. Once they are done you can make improvements on your favourite models at leisure.

Mukip fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 20, 2013

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Mukip posted:

If you just want to get them painted then devise an efficient means of doing it quickly. You can accomplish mediocre things with washes! A bunch of guys painted in block colours with some washes on top, with finished bases are a huge step up from being merely spray-painted. Once they are done you can make improvements on your favourite models at leisure.

In all my previous tries, I was doing the "batch" idea of doing like 5 guys at once and doing 1 color at a time. However, I found that more mind numbing and now I have about 10 guys with black boots, and 5 guys with a face painted.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Spiteski posted:

Can anyone give me any tips to get motivated to paint my Imperial Guard more than the undercoat spray they have had for roughly 2 years? I fell into the standard trap of buying 100+ models in a short period of time, and burnt out at the insurmountable painting mountain ahead.

In other news, just bought a Stormlord, so that Vulcan Cannon loves Tyranids... and everything else.

My strategy is go do models in batches of 5/10 depending on the unit size that way I'm always adding a completely painted unit to my army when I play. Also have you considered taking short cuts on the Guardsmen like dipping or incorporating the primer color into the color scheme? Dark gray primer could easily be used for the armor or cloth parts. Army painter colored primer also would work well here although it might get expensive. Also don't shy away from satin finish spray paint if you like the color. I did 40 Bloodletters with Krylon Satin Ivory and have switched back to rattle can priming for some models after reading about the "horrors" of spray paint and refusing to use them for about a year. You can also get away with a simple 5 colors (armor, gun, clothing, face, boots) plus dip paint scheme on a basic Guardsmen and they would still look awesome on the table.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 20, 2013

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Pacheeco posted:

My strategy is go do things in batches of 5/10 depending on the unit size that way I'm always adding something completely painted to my army when I play. Also have you considered taking short cuts on the Guardsmen like dipping or incorporating the primer color into the color scheme? Dark gray primer could easily be used for the armor or cloth parts. You can also get away with a simple 5 colors (armor, gun, clothing, face, boots) plus dip paint scheme on a basic Guardsmen and they would still look awesome on the table.

Yea I think I am underestimating how "swarm" 60-80 guardsmen on the table appear. Detail isn't that much of an issue I guess.
I have at least got all my tanks completed. Because shiny.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
With guardsmen you only need a few colours. Fatigues, boots, belt/kit bottles, gun body/gun metal, face. Wash.
K.I.S.S or you will want to put a lasgun in your mouth after a while.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Spiteski posted:

Paint up just a few to finished quality and have them sitting on your painting table staring you down. The shame of their glare will force you to finish!

I had 30 orks sitting on my desk for ages I was meaning to re-do the yellow on and kind of lost interest. Getting a few done though, I was able to see past the "This looks like rear end" stage and get motivated to finish them off. 2 days later they were done!

Edit: Wow is vallejo model colour thick. Was trying to rifle out 5 vehicles black half and wasn't getting any paint out of the airbrush. Thought I had diluted it well enough but a thick spot sank to the bottom. Now I've used the time I was supposed to be airbrushing to cleaning it out.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
If any of y'all are interested I'm selling my studio-painted Grey Knight Draigowing army.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571192

15 models, 1500 points :v:
I've never ran it (or anything) in a tournament but it does okay--the idea is to split up the 10 man squad for versatility (I usually set it up so one group of 5 has the psycannons and the other group has Draigo, Falchions, Apothecary and Banner) and send the 2 lone Paladins off to camp objectives and be a pain in the rear end while the Psyfle dread puts a hurt on anything terrifying. It's the only army I can beat my buddy's Dark Angels with, and the only army that his Imperial Guard can beat.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.

VogeGandire posted:

I can't wait for Dorn's model, considering we don't have much canon images of what he actually looked like.

Related to modelling: Making Black Templars look cool is so easy. The BT upgrade sprue instantly makes everything look badass. I'm planning to use an entire sprue for 5 veterans to make them the pimpest sword brethren ever.

I winder if they'll do Horus versus the Emperor as a diorama. Maybe with dead Sanguinus (spoilers) just laying there chillin.

The Templar Upgrade sprue is awesome. I wish the detail of it was crisper and that the land raider/rhino doors were a different kit so there were more actual marine bits, and I wish there were some scout/neophyte parts but it's a great kit.

If you're building Sword Brethren why not buy the Sword Brethren kit? It's pretty pimptastic and those motherfuckers have mustaches!

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I would love it if Forgeworld did a Sanguinius model but the one and only pose was of him dead. Dead as a doornail, for a lot of money. And for extra cash you can buy a base for him that has circular indentations available for placing (still alive) minis into for a diorama.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Full army builder tool got released today for the space marines. It's kinda cool but doesn't seem to have the special rules linked like captains turning bikes into troops. Also you can't change around units once you save them. You need to erase them and try again.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Edit: Wow is vallejo model colour thick. Was trying to rifle out 5 vehicles black half and wasn't getting any paint out of the airbrush. Thought I had diluted it well enough but a thick spot sank to the bottom. Now I've used the time I was supposed to be airbrushing to cleaning it out.

Are we using the same paints? My Vallejo model colour Dark Sea Blue is so thin that even just dipping the brush in water before the paint waters it down so much it rivals my Nuln Oil in consistency and coverage.

Edit: I guess it's different when you do it by hand rather than spraygun, but Vallejo does have a spraygun range iirc

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Post 9-11 User posted:

I would love it if Forgeworld did a Sanguinius model but the one and only pose was of him dead. Dead as a doornail, for a lot of money. And for extra cash you can buy a base for him that has circular indentations available for placing (still alive) minis into for a diorama.

Sanguinius is dead, Horus is dead, the Emperor is all hosed up, the bridge is wrecked, and Dorn is in the doorway all...

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Wow Ghost Arks sure are a pain to paint.

This review says it nicely:

What? The ghost arc is a wonderful kit.

(it still needs a lot of paint to not look like crap)

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.

Tequila Ranger posted:

Sanguinius is dead, Horus is dead, the Emperor is all hosed up, the bridge is wrecked, and Dorn is in the doorway all...

YES. $500 for the kit. Sold. I'd hire someone who knows what they're doing to paint it.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Tequila Ranger posted:

"fuuuuck I can't believe I missed the best party in human history"

Spiteski posted:

I found Heinlein's rules of painting :v: helpful:

1. You must paint. If piles of single-color models and huge backlog make you sad and you haven't painted anything in the last 5 days, shut the gently caress up and start painting.
2. Finish what you paint. Nothing worse than having half-painted models sitting for weeks or months in an unplayable state. Finish them. That means basing, varnish, everything you need to play with it.
3. Do not strip/repaint a painted model unless one or more of the following happens: a. you have no unpainted models left (congratulations!), b. you get told (seriously) by several people that the paintjob looks like poo poo, c. you're certain you'll want to work on the model for the next few days (including stripping time) AND you can do a noticeably better job than now.
4. Play what you've painted. Seeing a fully painted force on the table, even if it's "just an OK tabletop" level, does wonders for motivation. Don't skip this stage.
5. Paint the next model. And the next. And the next. The struggle won't end until the whole backlog is finished (oh who am I kidding, by that time you'll have bought another force anyway).

Also, don't paint more than 5 (28mm human-sized) minis at the same time. I have problems focusing for a long time and I found 5 minis to be an acceptable time before I start cutting corners and leaving the painting "for later" (i.e. never).

If you're not aiming at very good quality, experiment with dipping (brush it on, don't waste the stuff). Surprisingly good results, especially if you paint the details later to cheat the eye into thinking it's been paid attention to.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 19, 2014

Goat Bouillabaise
Sep 21, 2005
Strike Force DUMBASS!

Pierzak posted:

"fuuuuck I can't believe I mmissed the best party in human history"

I found Heinlein's rules of painting :v: helpful:

Oh god I will be painting until the end of loving time. Depend upon it.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm working on some of the new plastic raptors and they're just not the same. The crazy turbine jump packs are awesome and all, but I miss the old swooped ones. The old raptors may have been horribly overbalanced piles of metal, but they had class. :smith:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'll add that if you wan't to paint a horde army super quick and with great results, you can't beat zenithal priming and then painting the model using only washes.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Safety Factor posted:

I'm working on some of the new plastic raptors and they're just not the same. The crazy turbine jump packs are awesome and all, but I miss the old swooped ones. The old raptors may have been horribly overbalanced piles of metal, but they had class. :smith:
I like the new Raptor models, but yeah, the designs of the previous ones were tops. These ones just look like assault Marines with different packs and some spikes on their boots, the old Raptors look like something altogether inhuman.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Really, as far as a modular plastic kit goes these are close enough, just the jump packs are off. Especially the weird spikes sticking out of the turbines. :wtc: I went to the effort to cut them off. All the arms and weapons are awesome and I'll mix some of their chainswords and pistols into my chaos marine squads for variety. I do plan on using the taloned feet for my raptors with maybe 2-3 per squad using the regular ones. I'm just glad I had an old metal jump pack for my raptor lord. He at least has some class about him.

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!
The bar my friends and I frequent is half a block from my FLGS.

Last night, I bought the Space Marines Strike Force. It seemed like a great idea at the time.

What was I thinking. I don't even play Space Marines. The guy at the store is a really cool dude and I know his shop needs every dollar just to keep the lights on, so a refund would be a dick move.

I guess I play Space Marines now...

I have the codex, but haven't had any time at all to look at it.

I have always kinda wanted to do Imperial Fists or Salamanders.

Kind of.

Can I at least make a decent list out of the contents?

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Allies! :toot:

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!
And sully the ranks of my mighty Imperial Guard with these boyscouts in power armor?! I think not, my good, sir. :colbert:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
A friend of mine keeps nagging me to paint him up a small Chaos Demon force. I know almost nothing about Demons, and less about what to get. Looking for coherent but probably playable (not necessarily a winning list). I'm looking at either Nurgle or Slaanesh (or both?) at around 750pts. Besides a couple boxes of the basic troop choices what should I start with?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
For Slaanesh, a Herald riding a Steed (you'd need to convert, but it'd be quite easy) dragging around a unit of Daemonettes is quite solid; if you wanted, some Seekers or a Soul Grinder could add to the force as well. Slaaneshi Heralds are nasty little customers, since they can outflank and their Exalted Locus lets you decide how challenges happen and reroll all misses for the whole unit.

Nurgle can do quite well with a Greater Unclean One, even if he is a bit pricey. Plaguebearers don't actually accomplish much, but they can sit on an objective and wait for the end quite well. Nurgle has a lot of surprisingly-effective aggressive units, including Plague Drones, Beasts of Nurgle, Daemon Princes, and Soulgrinders.

Furies of either type are also solid, although the official model is total balls.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Finally getting around to a read through the new SM codex I'm really disappointed with how Special Characters work for them now.
I really liked the Guard book introducing non-HQ special characters and the 5th ed SM codex did a great job of adding Telion/Chronus etc as well, it was neat to have characters that weren't just chapter masters or whatever but that you could have a tank ace or a veteran scout leader as an upgrade that didn't take up a slot. Now if you want a tank ace you have to be Ultramarines.

Chapter traits is a neat idea and applying Chapter wide buffs to give theme is cool, but some of the limitations that come out of it are a real pain as I'm a huge fan of 'counts as' and refluffing special characters.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
750pts is rough since a lot of the fun of demons is MCs or fast toys.

I was suprised by nurgle demon princes. They have easy upgrade to gain instant death and they have I7 and AP2. That makes them ultra killy, and then ~3+ cover thanks to shrouded helps as you leapfrog from area to area terrain on that one turn you are not in CC (as a MC you have Move Through Cover and auto pass dangerous tests).

For a small point list that could be your HQ with plaguebearers or daemonettes as troops if you wanted to avoid pink horrors. That does not leave many points left but a soul grinder is a good buy with any mark. Just flamer or just battlecannon upgrade are common.

I had a lot of fun with demons and only recently stopped playing them because I have bought many other armies that I have ignored and left unpainted. It was just time to move on.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

I cant wait to paint this...

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Thanks guys. I know 750pts isn't much but he's not really played very much except for commandeering my old nids once or twice, and has only recently started harping on about Demons. So I'll probably just paint up some Plaguebearers, and proxy the rest. If he likes it I'll look at fitting some Drones into the mix (I like the models).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Smegmalicious posted:

YES. $500 for the kit. Sold. I'd hire someone who knows what they're doing to paint it.

No, do it like Hallmark. $100 bucks gets you the limited edition Sanguinus and the display base. Each year come out with a new primarch that you can only buy for 3 months, alternating between loyal and traitor. When your finished you have the Emperor and Sanguinus in the middle and all the primarch surrounding them like the last supper.

• Locked thread