Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:

Le0 posted:

Are there been any news about the PC version? I want to play this loving game :emo:

The PC version is coming out the same time multiplayer is :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Korlac posted:

The PC version is coming out the same time multiplayer is :P

You cruel, heartless bastard. Stop reminding me that co-op isn't gonna be a thing. :negative:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pc dudes, I wouldn't worry too hard about it because it's kind of a dull game after a few hours and you have Day Z to play.

SOD has good intentions and and some cool ideas, but none of them work that well and it's pretty boring after you get over the novelty. The whole game feels pretty half baked.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

Pc dudes, I wouldn't worry too hard about it because it's kind of a dull game after a few hours and you have Day Z to play.

SOD has good intentions and and some cool ideas, but none of them work that well and it's pretty boring after you get over the novelty. The whole game feels pretty half baked.

Very true. I dicked around with it for maybe two or three hours after the newest update, but have pretty much lost interest in it. Hope they don't take so much time on the survival mode that it gets lost in the huge amount of games coming out in the next few months.

RStar
Aug 18, 2013

I don't know, I liked it. Probably put in 8-10 hours. I'm one of those guys who loves grinding though.

El Seven
Jan 15, 2012
The PC version and Sandbox mode are both coming out this year, but a more specific release date has not yet been announced.

NESguerilla posted:

SOD has good intentions and and some cool ideas, but none of them work that well...
Can you share which of the good intentions and cool ideas that you thought didn't work that well? :)

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I think the last TU really helped it out. The Take A Buddy Along is kind of bullshit if he won't haul poo poo, but it's better than nothing. It seems like some of the more interesting random missions pop up more often though, and that's a huge plus.

I really want a way to scrub off the 'Ran Away' status after awhile though, or at least have it not interfere with their actual mood.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Atmus posted:

I really want a way to scrub off the 'Ran Away' status after awhile though, or at least have it not interfere with their actual mood.

Yeah what the hell is that? After a while I assumed it just meant their "origin" was that they were the kind who always ran away? Because they're still in our camp and seem happy.

It's really odd playing this game and Dead Rising 2 so close to eachother. There's a lot of crossover and a lot of places in each where you're like "Well why didn't the other one do that?".

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Did TU2 add new random events? I'm seeing messages now about mood that I've never seen before.

Whats the most survivors you can have? I've got up to 38, and the game refuses to find any more.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I got to around that before the last TU, but then the game got all glitchy and crashy. Now I have 19 (well, 18, one guy died) and no more are to be found. I wonder if I have to get through the plot more or what before it unlocks more survivors, but I'm going to be pissed if they 'solved' the too many survivors problems by limiting how many you could have.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
Still chugging along for a Steam release http://m.joystiq.com/2013/09/06/state-of-decay-to-hit-steam-early-access-in-a-couple-of-weeks/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Sounds like they might be talking more about Sandbox mode once it's up on Early Access as well.
http://forums.undeadlabs.com/showthread.php?31175-The-Short-Version-of-PAX-2013

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Does anyone know of a Lets Play for this with someone who isn't a complete idiot? Every single one I've found has the LPer act in the absolute stupidest ways possible, then question why they died when they were doing SO well by leading the zombie horde back to base and leaving all the doors open.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Spaceking posted:

Does anyone know of a Lets Play for this with someone who isn't a complete idiot? Every single one I've found has the LPer act in the absolute stupidest ways possible, then question why they died when they were doing SO well by leading the zombie horde back to base and leaving all the doors open.
Honestly, that sounds far more entertaining than watching someone play optimally. As much as I love State of Decay, the game gets pretty dull once you learn the effectiveness of drop-kicks, sweeps, and vehicles.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Tibeerius posted:

Honestly, that sounds far more entertaining than watching someone play optimally. As much as I love State of Decay, the game gets pretty dull once you learn the effectiveness of drop-kicks, sweeps, and vehicles.

Pretty much this. I can send a brand new guy out unarmed for scavenging missions and literally the only thing that can wreck my poo poo is a Feral, and that's only a 50/50 at this point. Playing optimally would only be good for if someone wants to see the story and isn't interested in the game itself. You could mix it up with unconventional tactics I guess, but you have to be really bad at the game to... be bad at the game, I guess.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I got a good 10 hours of the game, I enjoyed it for what it was. Game is more fun before you realise that the drop kick and cars rule the show though, as has been said.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Yeah it sounds funnier, but it gets old fast and eventually just becomes grating.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
PC version is out TOMORROW as a Early Access release. Hoping it has the planned next patch with the ability to recruit survivors.

http://undeadlabs.com/2013/09/news/greetings-pc-players-the-steam-release-date-is/

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
gently caress yes America! :eng101:
My time has come to play this game

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

Le0 posted:

gently caress yes America! :eng101:
My time has come to play this game

Note that you will still need an Xbox 360 controller to play it though - no m/KB support yet.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Mental Midget posted:

Note that you will still need an Xbox 360 controller to play it though - no m/KB support yet.

Just use motionjoy to convert any controller to the format.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Mental Midget posted:

I'm using a PS3 controller on my PC with better DS3 or something. This allows my controller to be seen as an Xbox one :eng101:
Wonder if Kb + M will be better to play this game when it will be released?

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
The Early Access statement they put up is one of the most conservative I've seen, but the game is 100% the Xbox 360 version, right? I know the original wasn't the most stable game, but this sounds like an easy Early Access purchase.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Kasonic posted:

The Early Access statement they put up is one of the most conservative I've seen, but the game is 100% the Xbox 360 version, right? I know the original wasn't the most stable game, but this sounds like an easy Early Access purchase.

Yeah, just put in 20-30 minutes. It's all done, it's a working game, and it seems to have all the features of the console games. It just doesn't have kb@m.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Are there any graphical improvements over the console version?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I just played the Steam version and the graphics seems a bit janky, the flashlight behaves downright odd, and the animations could be better. It's still a lot of fun, but you may want to wait if the price is too much.
It does have some of the most capable npc buddies I've seen in a game in a while.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Bought this again for the PC, and I wanna do that "all random survivors" idea. How do I go about doing that again? What's the earliest point I can kill off each non-random survivor?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

404notfound posted:

Bought this again for the PC, and I wanna do that "all random survivors" idea. How do I go about doing that again? What's the earliest point I can kill off each non-random survivor?

You can kill them off immediately after you cross the river to leave the opening area. Once you get Marcus and Maya killed off then Ed will automatically die as well if you haven't done the Veterinary Clinic mission, and then you'll spawn as a random character.

Leave an item in their backpack when you get them killed so you can retrieve it for brownie points, since everyone's going to be bummed out that they've lost three people.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Picked this up on pc. Well worth the price of entry if you like zombie survival rpgs. Has some stuff to iron out for sure, mostly having to do with graphics, but it runs a lot better than a number of other xbla ports I can think of.

This game is giving me nostalgic flashbacks of Midwinter.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Lord Yod posted:

Picked this up on pc. Well worth the price of entry if you like zombie survival rpgs. Has some stuff to iron out for sure, mostly having to do with graphics, but it runs a lot better than a number of other xbla ports I can think of.

The engine that the game uses is one of the Crysis engines from what I recall.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Looks like this works with SweetFx, anyone have a good profile to make this look awesome?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Played for a little bit and I'm having lots of fun. Can't wait to see the improvements they will make. Wonder if mods will be a thing now that it's on PC

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

The engine that the game uses is one of the Crysis engines from what I recall.

Yeah it's certainly not an issue of the game looking bad. It just lacks certain things that are sort of assumed in PC releases, like multi-level AA, texture/shadow detail, those sorts of things that you want to see in the options menu. Right now there's just one setting, and that's good enough for the game to be perfectly playable, but I'm sure it could be better (and presumably will).

epmode
Feb 11, 2008

Spaceking posted:

Just use motionjoy to convert any controller to the format.

Or x360ce if you'd prefer to keep MotioninJoy away for your system. MotioninJoy is kind of awful and it has, among other things, screwed up my bluetooth controller.

If you're using a PS3 controller, you can try this instead.

Cerebral Wolf
Jun 20, 2008
God drat it. Give me the survival mode already.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
How's the PC framerate? That was my main issue with the XBOx version, it was all over the place and barely felt like it was ever over 25.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Right now it's just the early access release. It's buggy as poo poo, the crudest of console ports. The game text doesn't even reflect that the game is running on a PC ("Please do not turn off your console"), there's no option to adjust mouse or keyboard settings or even any recognition that they exist. There's horrendous mouse acceleration that makes the game basically unplayable if you don't have a gamepad. A lot of people won't be able to play it period, and the game hasn't even begun to actually be optimised for... anything.

They really weren't kidding when they say "don't buy the game if you're short on time or patience." Make no mistake, you're buying into a beta. Personally I'm fine with that because I was really itching to try this.

All that being said, I have a question! If I have a survivor accompanying me, and I find two packs of materials, can I get them to carry the second one back with me instead of radioing for a runner for no discernible reason?

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

thehumandignity posted:

All that being said, I have a question! If I have a survivor accompanying me, and I find two packs of materials, can I get them to carry the second one back with me instead of radioing for a runner for no discernible reason?

Thanks for the summary on the current PC version, this was helpful.

Unfortunately, you can only bring one pack back with you to base at a time. There used to be a glitch where you could drop one of them in the bed of the old-style pickup truck, but they may have patched that out. It could work in the PC version though possibly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftFD-99niqk

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I'm so mad. I've wanted to play this game for so long and I poo poo my pants when I saw it up on steam, only to be denied by the controller requirement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
So I'm not clear on home bases. Do you lose your existing home and it's upgrades if you set up a new one? The interface doesn't seem to be set up for multiple homes.

• Locked thread