Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yeah the Kids Club books have alot of that stuff stuck in them. Kissing students for doing a good job, hitting them (but not too hard!) if they screw up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Here's a highly-confidential picture of a Hess Kids Club Teacher's Guide book encouraging violence against the children. Someone alert the media.

"up-side"

:ughh:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Which one of these words is not racist?

Also, in the previous commercial break, there was a white guy in blackface.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

duckfarts posted:

:britain:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

duckfarts posted:

I'm alright with this. Hopefully it'll lead to a few less aspiring Taiwanese wannabe hip hop heads thinking it's cool to call everyone nigga and then getting knocked the gently caress out by a black dude someday.

quote:

This dude, though, should be loving slapped.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
I'm with Tetsuo; I think most of us have met more than one person here who was completely unaware "friend of the family" is not to be bandied about. But I guess that's what happens when TV and music dominate the impression of what it means to be black, rather than talking with black people. Probably related to this store:

But apparently it has since changed its name.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

duckfarts posted:

I've noticed a weird trend of people photoshopping pictures of themselves to look like they have blackface paint on, and sticking it in their online profile. All but one of them were young Taiwanese girls who are presumably just ignorant of the issue. Still disturbing though, and I hope it doesn't catch on as a "thing."

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
Uhh, did you guys read the rest of that picture? It says "Which of the following words is not a racist term?" I haven't watched that particular segment but from context it sounds like they are trying to teach people which words NOT to use.
If you haven't grown up in the States or wherever, how should you be expected to know which terms are racist or not? I remember reading a blog of a guy who first came to Taiwan and called everyone 台客 without realizing it could offend people. He thought it just meant "Taiwanese person". The important part is the intent and politely correcting people when they unintentionally use derogatory words.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

hitension posted:

Uhh, did you guys read the rest of that picture? It says "Which of the following words is not a racist term?" I haven't watched that particular segment but from context it sounds like they are trying to teach people which words NOT to use.
If you haven't grown up in the States or wherever, how should you be expected to know which terms are racist or not? I remember reading a blog of a guy who first came to Taiwan and called everyone 台客 without realizing it could offend people. He thought it just meant "Taiwanese person". The important part is the intent and politely correcting people when they unintentionally use derogatory words.

Did you read the spoiler?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

USDA Choice posted:

I'm with Tetsuo; I think most of us have met more than one person here who was completely unaware "friend of the family" is not to be bandied about. But I guess that's what happens when TV and music dominate the impression of what it means to be black, rather than talking with black people. Probably related to this store:

But apparently it has since changed its name.

There's also YOUNG PEACH MC - CHINESE CHINGSTA WITH A STACK OF 100 RMB's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5aaQgAu-IQ

:suicide:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

hitension posted:

Um, isn't that exactly what we were saying? Did you even read a post?

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
Haha, nevermind. Misunderstood.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

hitension posted:

fwiw, depending where you're from, British is a derogatory term (basically anywhere in the 2/3 of the planet we owned (rightfully and majestically ofc))

I am quite sure, I can use it to offend and belittle.
In fact I actually would have bet on the fact that most US'ser's would ascribe British as derogatory term as being second nature/something they teach you in high school.

url fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 13, 2013

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

url posted:

fwiw, depending where you're from, British is a derogatory term (basically anywhere in the 2/3 of the planet we owned (rightfully and majestically ofc))

I am quite sure, I can use it to offend and belittle.
In fact I actually would have bet on the fact that most US'ser's would ascribe British as derogatory term as being second nature/something they teach you in high school.
Be that as it may, it's not racial.

E: Unless you're Nick Griffin, I guess.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 13, 2013

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
As an American, I can say without much doubt that British is not a derogatory term Stateside. "loving British" maybe, but that caries an entirely different context than "The British".

Is there poker this Wednesday? We happen to have a Thursday off. I'll put it this way. If you are in the Taipei area and don't help me get exceedingly drunk on Wednesday night, I'm going to be highly disappointed in your heritage.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Yeah that's the first I've ever heard of "British" being a derogatory term.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

If anyone gets The China Post and the picture captions seemed particularly idiotic this week, you have me to thank for that.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Found that commercial:

BLACK IS GOOD

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

At a deadly pace it came from... outer space!

Atlas Hugged posted:

As an American, I can say without much doubt that British is not a derogatory term Stateside. "loving British" maybe, but that caries an entirely different context than "The British".

Is there poker this Wednesday? We happen to have a Thursday off. I'll put it this way. If you are in the Taipei area and don't help me get exceedingly drunk on Wednesday night, I'm going to be highly disappointed in your heritage.

If there's any drinking going on during the break, count me in. No clue how to not suck at poker though.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Oz_Bonus posted:

If there's any drinking going on during the break, count me in. No clue how to not suck at poker though.

I still have to work wicked late on wednesday, but gambling sounds fun over break.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Oz_Bonus posted:

Well, it's definitely been too long since I got drunk and asked you why we never hang out and then we agree to make plans more often and never follow up on them!

I also just found out that two of the people I graduated and moved to Korea with to teach (my university had a pilot program with the Korean Department of Education that granted us slightly more favorable contract terms compared to the run of the mill GEPIK teachers) have also since abandoned Korea for Taiwan. It's seriously a one way street.

This should also start to explain why there are so many goddamn teachers from Wisconsin in this country.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 16, 2013

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Atlas Hugged posted:

Well, it's definitely been too long since I got drunk and asked you why we never hang out and then we agree to make plans more often and never follow up on them!

I also just found out that two of the people I graduated and moved to Korea with to teach (my university had a pilot program with the Korean Department of Education that granted us slightly more favorable contract terms compared to the run of the mill GEPIK teachers) have also since abandoned Korea for Taiwan. It's seriously a one way street.

This should also start to explain why there are so many goddamn teachers from Wisconsin in this country.

Ton of Michiganders too. I went to school in Michigan Tech, which is in the UP, so is more connected to Wisconsin than Michigan really.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Anybody know if there's any good deal for prepaid SIM cards... that offer data too? I have some friends coming in later on that I need to get some SIM cards for in advance, but I only really know of the Taiwan Mobile prepaid ones that you put like 200NT into that are really just for phone and SMS use. Also, how do you refill those at a 7/Family Mart?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The Chunghwa ones work with 3G just fine. It's not great for heavy usage, but they work, and you can just get more moneys from ibon and whatnot.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
When my dad came in April I got him something from Taiwan Mobile that included 1 gig of data (or 30 days of data, whichever cap you hit first) with the card itself, which I think came with like NT$400 of credit.

He was here for a couple of months though, so after that, he paid for some deal where you get unlimited data for a certain timeframe, you could buy it for 1 day or 3 days, a week, etc. It just used your prepaid credit as normal. If you're interested in the rates I know he left the little info booklet in my spare bedroom so I can look it up, but it's all the way upstairs at the moment.

You can get credit from iBon but it's definitely not super foreigner-friendly since it's all in Chinese, so given my father's level of Chinese fluency (i.e. none) it was way easier for him to just walk into any Taiwan Mobile shop and give them cash.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

POCKET CHOMP posted:

When my dad came in April I got him something from Taiwan Mobile that included 1 gig of data (or 30 days of data, whichever cap you hit first) with the card itself, which I think came with like NT$400 of credit.

He was here for a couple of months though, so after that, he paid for some deal where you get unlimited data for a certain timeframe, you could buy it for 1 day or 3 days, a week, etc. It just used your prepaid credit as normal. If you're interested in the rates I know he left the little info booklet in my spare bedroom so I can look it up, but it's all the way upstairs at the moment.

You can get credit from iBon but it's definitely not super foreigner-friendly since it's all in Chinese, so given my father's level of Chinese fluency (i.e. none) it was way easier for him to just walk into any Taiwan Mobile shop and give them cash.

This sounds perfect(1 gig or 1 week unlimited), thanks; I'll go check on this.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Here's the deal:

It was $500 for the card, gets you $400 credit plus the 1G/30 days of 3G. No idea if it was a time-limited offer or what.

Alternatively, here are their a la carte data plans:

Sorry for the huge phone pics.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I know some people in here use iPhones, and some people in here use Pleco. If there's any overlap, and you're planning to upgrade to iOS 7, go into Pleco first and write down your Registration ID if you've bought any add-ons. Something is super messed up and after the update you won't be able to restore purchases in Pleco if you're running iOS 7. It'll identify you as unregistered user and even the add-ons you already have installed will stop working, even a complete reinstall of the app won't fix it. But if you've got that registration ID, just plunk it down into the settings and all will be well.

Just a friendly heads up since I pretty much need those add ons to live over here.

(Android supremacy, obviously. What a pain.)

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I know some people in here use iPhones, and some people in here use Pleco. If there's any overlap, and you're planning to upgrade to iOS 7, go into Pleco first and write down your Registration ID if you've bought any add-ons. Something is super messed up and after the update you won't be able to restore purchases in Pleco if you're running iOS 7. It'll identify you as unregistered user and even the add-ons you already have installed will stop working, even a complete reinstall of the app won't fix it. But if you've got that registration ID, just plunk it down into the settings and all will be well.

Just a friendly heads up since I pretty much need those add ons to live over here.

The Kindle app has the same issue.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Where are some good video game stores in Taipei? I'm going to try and pick up GTA V since the weather is going to be lovely this weekend.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

At a deadly pace it came from... outer space!

Moon Slayer posted:

Where are some good video game stores in Taipei? I'm going to try and pick up GTA V since the weather is going to be lovely this weekend.

There's a lot of stores selling console stuff in a shopping area under Taipei Main Station. It starts around Exit Y13 or thereabouts.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Oz_Bonus posted:

There's a lot of stores selling console stuff in a shopping area under Taipei Main Station. It starts around Exit Y13 or thereabouts.

Chongqing rd/civic blvd, go down the stairs to the underground mall(NW corner of intersection) and that's the best place for console gamin right there(walk east to go past all the shops).

E: I should add that like guanghua, they close shops at 9pm, so if you're late, go to bottom floor of nova at Taipei main station MRT out of exit 6.

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 19, 2013

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

POCKET CHOMP posted:

It seems to be working for me? Ymmv?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

It's the Taipei Underground Mall, 台北地下街. There's like 3 or 4 malls down there now, and the most difficult one to get to is the only good one. You used to have to walk through the underground parking lot to get to it through the station, but it's a little easier now.

It's also like Little Indonesia down there. It's a popular spot for Indonesians to hang out in their limited free time.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

duckfarts posted:

It seems to be working for me? Ymmv?

Yeah the dev said it was a problem on Apple's end with IAPs that seems to have been fixed, obviously related to everyone slamming the servers with the update.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
So we are having issues with our apartment.

When we first moved in 3 weeks ago, we noticed a spot on the wall where the paint was discolored. When I asked about it, the landlord said it wasn't a problem. Turns out it was. One day we came back from work and there were a couple small dark spots on the wall, and the paint had started to bubble. I touched once of the bubbles and it popped, releasing a brown liquid down the wall. I immediately messaged the Landlord's English-speaking daughter and sent pictures. I have to talk to her because her mom doesn't speak English, and at the time she was out of the country on vacation. Plus the daughter was the one who originally showed us the apartment. This was September 10th.

The daughter sort of drug her feet about it and didn't get anyone out to look at it for 3 days. When they came, it wasn't a professional but just her brother, and he installed some rain guard on the side of the wall. This was despite me telling them that the leak started five days since the last rain, and was clearly being cause by some standing water somewhere... not rain coming in from the side of the building. And surprise, the problem continued getting worse. Now there were several dark spots, the paint regularly is wet from the water seeping through and there is mold forming at the bottom of the wall on that one side of the room. I send more pictures and they come out again, 4 days later. This was 2 days ago.

Now they bring someone else, but only to inspect it. They quickly realize "oh poo poo" this needs to be fixed. Problem is, no one can fix it now because its the day before the Moon Festival. And now the Landlord is coming back next Wednesday, so rather than fixing it on Monday, she wants to wait until then. Then we were told we need to drill some holes in the wall as a stop-gap and that when they arrive on Wednesday, we will need to stay somewhere else for 3 days or lock our stuff up, since people will be in and out of the room.

So, is this grounds for me breaking my lease to get a new place? Will I be able to get back my 2 months deposit, an how hard would that be? We haven't even been here a month.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Maybe, seeing as it's not really "livable" and they'll need 3 days(!) to fix it. If you want to do this, you should 1) make sure you have logged proof and photos, 2) consult either a local or maybe lawyer before you talk with them about it to see how possible it may be, and 3) have a place to go to ASAP(not necessarily a new rental). Basically, your apartment is pretty broken and their negligence is forcing you to move your stuff out, and btw there's apparently the year's strongest typhoon coming this weekend, according to some news thing I'm watching right now.

It's fuckin up my BBQ plans. :mad:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Happy full goon festival Taiwan goons!

How's the storm and what are the warnings like in Taiwan? Flights here in Hong Kong will be cancelled 24 hrs starting tomorrow 6pm. Too bad it's going to be on a Sunday and not a Monday, Mr Li won't be activating his forcefield :smith:

Stay safe!

kenner116
May 15, 2009

caberham posted:

Happy full goon festival Taiwan goons!

How's the storm and what are the warnings like in Taiwan? Flights here in Hong Kong will be cancelled 24 hrs starting tomorrow 6pm. Too bad it's going to be on a Sunday and not a Monday, Mr Li won't be activating his forcefield :smith:

Stay safe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
So I remember reading somewhere (possibly on here) that not all Kaoliung tastes like gasoline mixed with white wine, and that if you buy the top shelf stuff it's actually pretty good.

Last time I went home I bought a bottle of the strongest cheapest poo poo I could find and my friends all got a kick out of it while we tried not to vomit. Obviously I'll be doing that again when I move back in a couple weeks, but to up the ante I've been thinking about getting a bottle in the $2000-4000 range to see how it measures up as well.

I'm curious if any of you have tried the upper-mid level Kaoliung's and whether it's worth the price. I don't want to pay that much only to get something that tastes like the poo poo you can pay $300 for.